Bush is a hero

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#180470 Jul 22, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>That many of those who founded our country were, in fact, criminals.
And by extension, those who were sent here from England's prisons to help build the colonies.
What were you saying about King George again?
When you say "sent here" you aren't imagining you're in Australia, are you?

I would ask you to define your terms. If you are working off of a coy definition of "criminal", then yes, all "founders" and rebels were "criminal".

If you're making broad assertions of the country's population in 1775, behind the poetic license in a vague use of "many", I would disagree strongly.
Clearwater

Safety Harbor, FL

#180471 Jul 22, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
Reuters looks like the only one so far.
Hey S and H. Are you sure?

‘WHAT A FREAKIN’ LIE’! Reuters, Yahoo busted for bogus headline about Obama at border [pics]; Update: Headline changed, still wrong; Update: Slideshow goes missing

http://twitchy.com/2014/07/10/what-a-freakin-...

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#180472 Jul 22, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
‘WHAT A FREAKIN’ LIE’! Reuters, Yahoo busted for bogus headline about Obama at border [pics]; Update: Headline changed, still wrong; Update: Slideshow goes missing
HMMMMM food for thought.

Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks for the info.

Chicago, IL

#180473 Jul 22, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I meant to say hello as well but I forgot to, CW.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#180474 Jul 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Though I have seen evidence that England, France, and a couple other European countries did unload some of their criminals here, I haven't seen any evidence to support the conclusion that most early colonists were criminals.
FACT OR FICTION
--
In 1769 Dr. Johnson, speaking of Americans, said to a friend, "Sir, they are a race of convicts and ought to be content with anything we may allow them short of hanging."

In the latest edition of Boswell, who chronicled this saying, it is explained by the following footnote:

"Convicts were sent to nine of the American settlements. According to one estimate, about 2000 had been sent for many years annually. Dr. Lang, after comparing various estimates, concludes that the number sent might be about 50,000 altogether."
1 Boswell's Johnson, II.312; Penny Cyclopaedia, XXV.138. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Journal... *.html
--
I guess the question is, what was the population of the settlements during this time?
Was 50,000 a large number by comparison?

How many were sent to fight and then died uncounted?
How many lived to sow their scandalous seed?

How many today are descendants of that seed?
Is criminal behavior genetic?
--
That’s all I got!

Location hidden

#180475 Jul 22, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Uh-huh.

Take religious, political and poverty/debtor crimes out of the mix, and the picture looks very different.

Still not sure where you are seeing agreement, though.
I guess that's the point.
Ok, we're not in agreement.
(((shrug)))

Any other crime classifications you want to remove so's them's criminals ain't criminals?

lol

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#180476 Jul 22, 2014
HOW TO CREATE AN ENEMY

Start with an empty canvas.
Sketch in broad outline the forms of men, women and children.

Dip into the unconsciousness well of your own disowned darkness
with a wide brush and strain the strangers
with the sinister hue of the shadow.

Trace onto the face of the enemy the greed, hatred, carelessness you
dare not claim as your own.

Obscure the sweet individuality of each face.

Erase all hints of the myriad loves, hopes, fears that play
through the kaleidoscope of every infinite heart.

Twist the smile until it forms the downward arc of cruelty.

Strip flesh from bone until only the abstract skeleton of death remains.

Exaggerate each feature until man is metamorphosized into beast,
vermin, insect.

Fill in the background with malignant figures from ancient nightmares--devils, demons, myrmidons of evil.

When your icon of the enemy is complete you will be able to kill
without guilt, slaughter without shame.

The thing you destroy will have become merely an enemy of God, an
impediment to the sacred dialectic of history.

Sam Keen

Location hidden

#180477 Jul 22, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>When you say "sent here" you aren't imagining you're in Australia, are you?

I would ask you to define your terms. If you are working off of a coy definition of "criminal", then yes, all "founders" and rebels were "criminal".

If you're making broad assertions of the country's population in 1775, behind the poetic license in a vague use of "many", I would disagree strongly.
Research seems to bear that out.

This just in -

Estimated Population of US Colonies 1630-1780

http://merrill.olm.net/mdocs/pop/colonies/col...

Factor into account the measly 50,000 said criminals and I think, if I did the math right, we end up with a nearly .02% of the population was "undesirable"

Might have to re-think it!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#180478 Jul 22, 2014
The conspiracy theorists are running rampant today.

Chicago, IL

#180479 Jul 22, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>FACT OR FICTION
--
In 1769 Dr. Johnson, speaking of Americans, said to a friend, "Sir, they are a race of convicts and ought to be content with anything we may allow them short of hanging."
In the latest edition of Boswell, who chronicled this saying, it is explained by the following footnote:
"Convicts were sent to nine of the American settlements. According to one estimate, about 2000 had been sent for many years annually. Dr. Lang, after comparing various estimates, concludes that the number sent might be about 50,000 altogether."
1 Boswell's Johnson, II.312; Penny Cyclopaedia, XXV.138. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Journal... *.html
--
I guess the question is, what was the population of the settlements during this time?
Was 50,000 a large number by comparison?
How many were sent to fight and then died uncounted?
How many lived to sow their scandalous seed?
How many today are descendants of that seed?
Is criminal behavior genetic?
--
That’s all I got!
Excellent research NF. You must have really dug for that.

In this article it says that the population of the American colonies was 2,210,000 not counting slaves.

http://www.saveyourheritage.com/thirteen_orig...
Clearwater

Safety Harbor, FL

#180480 Jul 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Sorry, I meant to say hello as well but I forgot to, CW.
No sweat. Hope you are having a good night. Not really sure Reuters is much different from any other msm (main stream media) these days that think the most important thing they do is make Obama look good. What I find quite sad is when a reporter, Audrey Hudson for example is the victim of smear campaign because she dares to actually do what all hard news reporters did at one time. Google her or of course Laura Logan which is much more well known.
UidiotRaceMakeWo rldPeace1

United States

#180481 Jul 22, 2014
lisw wrote:
The conspiracy theorists are running rampant today.
Karl Marx

"Once is an accident; twice is a coincidence; three times is a conspiracy.

==

John Judge, activist and researcher
Crossing the Rubicon
by Michael C. Ruppert, p371

It's OK if you call me a conspiracy theorist just as long as you call yourself a coincidence theorist.

===
author/source
“Conspiracy Theory”: Foundations of a Weaponized Term
Subtle and Deceptive Tactics to Discredit Truth in Media and Research
By Prof. James F. Tracy, Global Research

“Conspiracy theory” is a term that at once strikes fear and anxiety in the hearts of most every public figure, particularly journalists and academics. Since the 1960s the label has become a disciplinary device that has been overwhelmingly effective in defining certain events off limits to inquiry or debate. Especially in the United States raising legitimate questions about dubious official narratives destined to inform public opinion (and thereby public policy) is a major thought crime that must be cauterized from the public psyche at all costs.

====

Bhahahaaaaaaa

United States

#180482 Jul 22, 2014

“Conspiracy Theory”: Foundations of a Weaponized Term
Subtle and Deceptive Tactics to Discredit Truth in Media and Research
By Prof. James F. Tracy, Global Research

"The Central Intelligence Agency played the greatest role in effectively “weaponizing” the term [conspiracy theory]. In the groundswell of public skepticism toward the Warren Commission’s findings on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, the CIA sent a detailed directive to all of its bureaus. Titled “Countering Criticism of the Warren Commission Report.” The dispatch played a definitive role in making the “conspiracy theory” term a weapon to be wielded against almost any individual or group calling the government’s increasingly clandestine programs and activities into question.
... The memorandum [CIA Document 1035-960] lays out a detailed series of actions and techniques for “countering and discrediting the claims of the conspiracy theorists, so as to inhibit the circulation of such claims in other countries.”

United States

#180483 Jul 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
HOW TO CREATE AN ENEMY
vermin, insect.
Fill in the background with malignant figures from ancient nightmares--devils, demons, myrmidons of evil.
Sam Keen
Here is realism!

John Stockwell, formerCIA official (from his books, speeches...)P
"
It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms. Enemies are necessary for the wheels of the U.S. military machine to turn.

United States

#180484 Jul 22, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Just about any source of news has it's value provided one is aware and on-guard against manipulation. Even a source with a slant can inform on a social level as to why a certain story resonates with certain groups of people. Case in point with regards to our current "crisis" on the border - Last night on the local 1/2 hour news, there was the story about Kevin McCarthy who will be House Majority Leader come Aug. 1. In a sound-bite I heard McCarthy mouth the phrase, "Secure The Border", and I thought, "Aha! So that's where that meaningless phrase comes from." Not from McCarthy per se, but just that it has been ginned up by the Assertive But Substantially Meaningless Phrase Division that every politician and ideologues seem to employ, and once such phrases resonate and get picked up in the general parlance, it's here to stay.
I think there's a host of relatively independent news sources in truth, as long as you're not talking about their op/ed pages. One thing to watch for are sources that people from either side criticize as "too liberal/conservative". It's amusing to see folks criticize the NYT, when we recall that it was their reporting/commentary that were so instrumental in selling the invasion of Iraq. PBS is another that gets criticized by both sides. Politifact has earned the especial ire of certain liberals, and just as much from conservatives, so they've got that going for them. I haven't seen any slant from FactCheck.com or Snopes.com . I don't think you can go wrong when you stick to facts. Mediaite.com is kind of a gossip-rag version of political reporting that skewers everyone equally, so long as it's lascivious enough.
As for general news, I think you're onto something with Reuters. I don't believe foreign-based orgs are necessarily more balanced, so much as they are foreign-based and so don't get on the radar of those who have a vested interest in convincing us to trust no one but them. BBC would fit in the same mold.
As I said, I think any source has it's value so long as you keep your own innate skeptic filter up and running. I believe most people have the capability, it's just a matter of how "balanced" one personally wants it. A whole lot of people on all points of the political compass just want to hear what they want to hear. Anything that resonates with their leaning is regarded as "fair and balanced" and the rest that don't comport with their pre-disposition is rejected as "slanted".
Alice Widener, columnist for Barron's

The Rockefeller File
by Gary Allen
'
It is a fact that most editors and newsmen on the staffs of Life, Look, Time, Newsweek, etc., and most editors, reporters, and commentators at NBC, CBS, and ABC take their news and editorial cues from the New York Times. Technically, it is a great newspaper; but it reports much of the news in conformity with its editorial policies.

United States

#180485 Jul 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
HOW TO CREATE AN ENEMY
vermin, insect.
Sam Keen
Philosphically

Hate is deeper than the love?
The Awakener

Liverpool, Australia

#180486 Jul 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I recall Bob telling him that this wasn't the thread for airing his views on Jews.
He said, "fair enough", I believe.
I only posted that link in regards to the continuing influx of "Multicultural" large-scale immigration into Western countries - and how it does not go the same for other developed countries such as South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Israel and Singapore.

Did I spew on about the "bogeyman" Z-ionists in my posts? No I did not. I am not botroffing here - just making the logics more sense in regards to the forced "multiculturalism" upon Western countries, and the sociological impact it will have.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#180487 Jul 22, 2014
UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace1 wrote:
<quoted text>Philosphically
Hate is deeper than the love?
It has happened to black people.

Muslims have been targeted.

People like Awakener do it to Jews.

The latest victims of dehumanization are Central American human beings.

That's what it's about: Dehumanization.

United States

#180489 Jul 22, 2014
Noam Chomsky interviewed by Donaldo Macedo
Chomsky on MisEducation
Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2000, pp15-25
k
Because they don't teach the truth about the world, schools have to rely on beating students over the head with propaganda about democracy. If schools were, in reality, democratic, there would be no need to bombard students with platitudes about democracy. They would simply act and behave democratically, and we know that does not happen. The more there is a need to talk about the ideals of democracy, the less democratic the system usually is.
The Awakener

Liverpool, Australia

#180490 Jul 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Though I have seen evidence that England, France, and a couple other European countries did unload some of their criminals here, I haven't seen any evidence to support the conclusion that most early colonists were criminals.
Yes. These countries did unload some of their convicts to America, and they were required to clear land, plant crops and create roads. After America gained independence in 1776, Britain sent convicts to Australia, where they again were required to do similar work.

However, the big criminals during colonial days in America were those who were of 'old money' stock, as they allegiance with other criminal leaders who could control a lot on what was happening.

The Political Machines at the '5 Points' in New York had massive influence - as they were a very corrupt sect of politicians who bought votes from the poor Irish-Catholics and Blacks. The city was a rough compound of gangs, pickpocketers, prostitution and illegal cockfighting and other gambling ventures.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Gabriel 987,436
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 9 min old_moose 31,639
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min PadMark 687,419
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 31 min Ricky F 39,265
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 36 min Johnny 6
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 1 hr Johnny 32
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr Tony 6,495
More from around the web