UidiotRaceMAkeWo rldpeace

United States

#179776 Jul 13, 2014
The Great American Disconnect
by Tom Engelhardt

Since the Gulf War in 1990 ... base-creation has been on the rise. The Bush, Clinton, and younger Bush administrations have laid down a string of bases from the old Eastern European satellites of the Soviet Union (Romania, Bulgaria) and the former Yugoslavia through the Greater Middle East (Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates), to the Horn of Africa (Djibouti), into the Indian Ocean (the "British" island of Diego Garcia), and right through Central Asia (Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Pakistan, where we "share" Pakistani bases).

Bases have followed our little wars of recent decades. They were dropped into Saudi Arabia and the small Gulf emirates around the time of our first Gulf War in 1991; into the former Yugoslavia after the Kosovo air war of 1999; into Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the former Central Asian SSRs after the Afghan war of 2001; and into Iraq, of course, after the invasion of 2003 where they were to replace the Saudi bases being mothballed as a response to Osama bin Laden's claims that Americans were defiling the holiest spots of Islam.

In effect, when it came to bases in the post-9/11 years, the emphasis was, on the one hand, encircling Russia from its former Eastern European satellites to its former Central Asian SSRs and, on the other hand, securing a series of bases across the oil heartlands of the planet, a swath of territory known to the administration back in 2002-2003 as "the arc of instability."

Iraq was, obviously, but part - though a crucial part - of such imperial dreaming about how to dominate the planet. And yet the military ziggurats that made those dreams manifest, and all the billions of taxpayer dollars and the obvious urge for "permanence" that went with them, were largely left out of mainstream reporting on, debate about, or discussion of the occupation of Iraq.

United States

#179777 Jul 13, 2014
Andy Rowell and James Marriott,'A Game as Old as Empire — The Secret World of Economic Hit Men and the Web of Global Corruption', edited by Steven Hiatt, Berrett-Koehler, 2007, p.118

The Imperial System: Hierarchy, Networks and Clients: The Case of
Some 30 per cent of America’s oil will come from Africa in the next ten years.

United States

#179778 Jul 13, 2014

Randall Robinson ( African-American lawyer, author and activist, noted as the founder of TransAfrica) interviewed by Amy Goodman on Democracy Now

When we [the United States] intervened in Haiti, when thirty American Special Forces went to the President’s [Aristide] home on February the 29th, 2004, and kidnapped the President and his American-born wife and secreted them off to the Central African Republic, we violated several international laws. We violated the United Nations Charter. And keeping the President out of the country now, at the behest of the United States, violates the treaty, the international covenant on civil and—the protection of civil and political rights... The Caribbean nations asked for an investigation of what happened, into what happened to Haiti’s democracy. And the US, on the [UN] Security Council, squelched that. You cannot abide these kinds of egregious violations of international law and still have the sort of human rights project in the world respected by all. African-American lawyer, author and activist, noted as the founder of TransAfrica

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#179779 Jul 13, 2014
Congratulations to Germany in their World Cup victory.

United States

#179780 Jul 13, 2014
Roger Morris, National Security Council member under the Nixon and Johnson Administrations

from the film 'Apocalypse Africa - made in America'

[The United States has] a hand in the much of the communal, and tribal violence, and the civil wars in Africa, either through instigation, or coup d'etat or the arms trade. We are responsible by supporting or directly or indirectly making possible genocidal policies by a bunch of dictators such as Idi Amin - not just tolerated but aided and abetted.

United States

#179781 Jul 13, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
Congratulations to Germany in their World Cup victory.
best soccer player are from latin America, do u believe?
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#179782 Jul 13, 2014
UidiotRaceMAkeWorldpeace wrote:
<quoted text> best soccer player are from latin America, do u believe?
good night World :) see you later :)
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

#179783 Jul 14, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post lisw. If more people felt like you do about people with mental disorders, I'm sure more people would seek treatment and there might even be more funding.
More people should be aware that people with mental illness deserves treatment just like another illness. The general society still have a stigma towards those who goes through PTSD, depression and anxiety - thinking that they are hopeless and they should be ignored.

Here in Australia, there is an organization who are trying to change this. It is called 'beyond blue' and they are tackling issues on things such as funding for treatment for those who suffer from mental illness, and also making the general public aware that it is nothing to be ashamed of and educating others about these will make a difference.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

This group does a lot of good work for those with mental illness, along with their families and friends who care for these individuals. beyond blue was founded by former Premier of Victoria (a state of Australia), Jeff Kennett.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179786 Jul 14, 2014
"“I have a responsibility in this job to try to help the president live up to his commitment to be the most transparent president in history.”

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest

Does this administration produce anything beside pathological liars and delusional buttheads?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#179787 Jul 14, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
"“I have a responsibility in this job to try to help the president live up to his commitment to be the most transparent president in history.”
Does this administration produce anything beside pathological liars and delusional buttheads?
I think Obama is pretty transparent......... I can see right through him..........
Lost In Transition

Baton Rouge, LA

#179788 Jul 14, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
Speaking of delusional:

"I come from an intellectual tradition where public policy is important..... it’s our social obligation to do this....... we help to make the world a better place."
Janet Yellen, head of the Federal Reserve.
The crazies are running the asylum.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179789 Jul 14, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of delusional:
"I come from an intellectual tradition where public policy is important..... it’s our social obligation to do this....... we help to make the world a better place."
Janet Yellen, head of the Federal Reserve.
The crazies are running the asylum.
"I detect racism in your comment."

Eric Holder: Paranoia Minister- oops.... I meant, Propaganda Minister -oops...I meant, Attorney General of the Racist and Justice Department for --> His People <--
HipG

Altona, IL

#179790 Jul 14, 2014
Hey, how ya'll doin'.........whoops, sorry, I didn't know there was a Mutual Affirmation and Circular Gratification Club meeting goin' on. Don't mind me. Carry on........
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179791 Jul 14, 2014
HipG wrote:
Hey, how ya'll doin'.........whoops, sorry, I didn't know there was a Mutual Affirmation and Circular Gratification Club meeting goin' on. Don't mind me. Carry on........
http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx...
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179792 Jul 14, 2014
HipG wrote:
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/aria...
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179793 Jul 14, 2014
HipG wrote:
http://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/wp-conte...
Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

#179794 Jul 14, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
Not much but it does make other liars quite proud.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#179795 Jul 14, 2014
HipG wrote:
Perfect example of keyboard diarrhea!

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#179796 Jul 14, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect example of keyboard diarrhea!
Yes, your post was.
Clearwater

Safety Harbor, FL

#179797 Jul 14, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, your post was.
Why do I keep flashing back to my Catholic kindergarten classroom?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min thewordofme 743,644
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min ChristineM 228,557
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 16 min Johnny 3,354
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 545,056
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Mandela 118,283
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr Mandela 36,919
Any girls wanna sex Skype? (Jan '13) 1 hr ash666 28
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ1 260,188
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr mike 601,413
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 10 hr Sexy bottom 975