Bush is a hero

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#179665 Jul 11, 2014
The Awakener wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Many of these botroffs are just too insensitive about how offshoring jobs are putting ordinary people out of work. This is not only happening in America, but also in Australia as many of our major companies that are offshoring Australian jobs to newly-industrializing countries such as the Philippines and Malaysia.

Companies such as ANZ (The Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited) have offshored many customer-relations, accounting and IT jobs and their excuse is that they want these "back-office work" offshored so that higher-end work can be done by Australians. But we know that they are offshoring these jobs for cheaper wage payments.

You are right about any President these days are there to be blamed. However, it seems that a President or a Prime Minister today are being used as personality-figures, rather than having the political party being its own representative of their goals and beliefs.

Many have to see who is behind these leaders - not just the leader alone.
We've created a wonderful society.
Not sustainable... but temporarily wonderful!

Many nations want to copy what we've done but in doing so will also fall into many of the same snares that have hamstrung our progress to coexist as neighbors ...as communities ...as families.

You say you are beginning to experience income inequality, employment struggles ...stagnate wages?

You're welcome!
We created the pattern and flooded the world with so many devalued dollars that it can no longer be avoided short of a colossal world reset.

Maybe the plutocrats, whose identities will never really be know , will save us all!

The hell you say!
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Location hidden

#179666 Jul 11, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Sure and that excuses it?
Yep!
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179667 Jul 11, 2014
Speaking of taxes....People might remember Phil Mickelson's comments about taxes awhile back. To put that into perspective....

In 2013 he won two huge golf championships in Scotland in a two week period with earnings of about $2,200, 000. What most people don't know is the UK has the authority to set Scotland's tax rate and so they took 45% of his winnings or about $950,000 right off the top. Whack! On top of that, the UK also has the right to tax his endorsements for the two weeks he was in Scotland PLUS it also taxes any bonuses he received for winning those tournaments PLUS it taxes a portion of the ranking bonuses he will receive at the end of the year, also at 45%.(The UK is one of few countries that collects taxes on endorsement income for non-resident athletes that compete in Britain.)

The only good news for Mickelson is that he can take a foreign tax credit on his US return so he is not double-taxed at the federal level on this income. The bad news is that the credit does not cover self-employment taxes or the new Medicare surtax. Additionally, California does not have a foreign tax credit so he had to fork over about 14% to that money hungry state too.......... just because.
So basically when all is said and done and before expenses, he paid about 61% o 62% out just in just taxes. That 2+ million he EARNED got whittled down to around $800,000. And it's actually comes to even less than that because his playing expenses are pretty sizable (10% to his caddy etc.) so his final take home was only about 30% of what he actually earned.

Is that fair? I don't think so.

Location hidden

#179668 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I question your choice of adjectives that the US has passed laws making it "easy" for corporations to deposit money into foreign accounts. I think our tax laws have forced smart corporations and individuals to ship money out of the country and if the tax code was reasonable and Uncle Sam didn't always have his grubby little hands out wanting ridiculous percentages, that money would have stayed right here.

If profits are going to be taxed unmercifully then spent recklessly, why on earth keep their money here?

And even if they entertained the idea of bringing that money home, they'll get pounded again with huge taxes. Forget that and no thanks.

Additionally, if this government wasn't such an enormous, gluttonous and wasteful pig, living trillions above it's means as a matter of course, we wouldn't "desperately need" absurd percentages of other peoples money. We've unnecessarily turned this country into a money pit.......throwing good money after bad and any business that ran their company the way the US conducts itself fiscally, would go belly up.

Who with any business sense wants to participate and donate to kind of nonsense? No one I know.

The people want money to stay in the US? Then stop taxing the hell out of it in part because they find other peoples profits unseemly. it's ludicrous. The country needs wealth and yet it's adopted a philosophy of resenting the wealthy and punishing success.

It redefines stupid.
===
"Oh, btw we need 3.7 billion for that little problem at the border."
We passed the laws, we did that.
We allowed the spending, we did that.
We elected our leaders, we did that.

We've been busy!

Location hidden

#179669 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
Speaking of taxes....People might remember Phil Mickelson's comments about taxes awhile back. To put that into perspective....

In 2013 he won two huge golf championships in Scotland in a two week period with earnings of about $2,200, 000. What most people don't know is the UK has the authority to set Scotland's tax rate and so they took 45% of his winnings or about $950,000 right off the top. Whack! On top of that, the UK also has the right to tax his endorsements for the two weeks he was in Scotland PLUS it also taxes any bonuses he received for winning those tournaments PLUS it taxes a portion of the ranking bonuses he will receive at the end of the year, also at 45%.(The UK is one of few countries that collects taxes on endorsement income for non-resident athletes that compete in Britain.)

The only good news for Mickelson is that he can take a foreign tax credit on his US return so he is not double-taxed at the federal level on this income. The bad news is that the credit does not cover self-employment taxes or the new Medicare surtax. Additionally, California does not have a foreign tax credit so he had to fork over about 14% to that money hungry state too.......... just because.

So basically when all is said and done and before expenses, he paid about 61% o 62% out just in just taxes. That 2+ million he EARNED got whittled down to around $800,000. And it's actually comes to even less than that because his playing expenses are pretty sizable (10% to his caddy etc.) so his final take home was only about 30% of what he actually earned.
Is that fair? I don't think so.
I think I may stand corrected. Apparently we didn't create the pattern, we just adopted it from the parents we swore we would never become.

Gotta love human behavior!
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179670 Jul 11, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>We passed the laws, we did that.
We allowed the spending, we did that.
We elected our leaders, we did that.
We've been busy!
What are you telling me this for? I already know. It's the 65+- million voters who think Obama and his ilk running around selling pixie dust and entitlements to the gullible who are the ones that need a lesson in economics, not me.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179671 Jul 11, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>I think I may stand corrected. Apparently we didn't create the pattern, we just adopted it from the parents we swore we would never become.
Gotta love human behavior!
What are you talking about? If we had adopted the "pattern" of our senior and soon to be forever departed generation of this country, aka the greatest generation, this "pattern" of liberal economic psychosis we're experimenting with, would never have taken root.

Location hidden

#179672 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? If we had adopted the "pattern" of our senior and soon to be forever departed generation of this country, aka the greatest generation, this "pattern" of liberal economic psychosis we're experimenting with, would never have taken root.
I was eluding to the U.K., our original parents.

Sorry for the confusion.

Location hidden

#179673 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you telling me this for?
I already know.

It's the 65+- million voters who think Obama and his ilk running around selling pixie dust and entitlements to the gullible who are the ones that need a lesson in economics, not me.
Because I thought you needed a reminder as to where to point your finger regarding all the ills of this country.

65 +- voters, given the voting stats, sounds like a majority to me.

Sorry dear, you've been simply outvoted.

Location hidden

#179674 Jul 11, 2014
And now for something completely different - https://m.youtube.com/watch...
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179675 Jul 11, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>Because I thought you needed a reminder as to where to point your finger regarding all the ills of this country.
65 +- voters, given the voting stats, sounds like a majority to me.
Sorry dear, you've been simply outvoted.
That pronouncement just earned you one big, fat " No! Really?" lol

But stating the obvious in this case is okay. It substantiates my theory that ignorance breeds faster than intelligence.

Location hidden

#179676 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
That pronouncement just earned you one big, fat " No! Really?" lol

But stating the obvious in this case is okay.
It substantiates my theory that ignorance breeds faster than intelligence.
:)

Don't get me wrong...

I'd have liked to see the jobs / manufacturing stay here.
I'd have liked to see the pork cut and taxes spent wisely.

I'd like to see more compromise, smarter decisions (subjective) being made.
I'd also, like to hear - the world sing - in perfect h-a-r-m-o-n-y!

But that's not what the people want anymore.
Crazy huh?
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179677 Jul 11, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>:)
Don't get me wrong...
Crazy huh?
Politics and the various directions people take it is a lot like the weather in New England. If you don't like it now, just wait a few minutes.
I'm sorry you're firmly committed and resigned to the "this is how it's going to be from now own" philosophy.

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#179678 Jul 11, 2014
NEWS-FLASH wrote:
<quoted text>:)
Don't get me wrong...
Crazy huh?
I think the people want the same things you do, Flash. Unfortunately, the Republican/Democrat sideshow is working so well that the people feel there's nothing they can do about it. Getting a nation of 300,000,000 people together is not easy. As long as the Republicans and Democrats can keep us fighting each other, the scum in office can continue to rape the land. The thing they fear the most is us coming together and taking the country back.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179679 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Revisionist history aside, that's an odd statement, considering the legislative history of those "experiments" you now call "liberal economic psychosis". It was that very generation of which you speak that presided over their genesis. Perhaps you could re-word that, "...if we had stuck to the pattern of our senior generation....".
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179680 Jul 11, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the people want the same things you do, Flash. Unfortunately, the Republican/Democrat sideshow is working so well that the people feel there's nothing they can do about it. Getting a nation of 300,000,000 people together is not easy. As long as the Republicans and Democrats can keep us fighting each other, the scum in office can continue to rape the land. The thing they fear the most is us coming together and taking the country back.
I know I keep returning to this, but today''s gridlock keeps reminding me of the considerable number of the so-called "Founding Fathers" who were opposed to this style of government precisely because of the potential for the partisan divisions we see today. Steeped in classical history and philosophical thought, they maintained that a democracy was impossible on such a large scale. And to think at the time they weren't thinking much past the Appalachians - the Mississippi at most.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#179681 Jul 11, 2014
c
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Invoking the imagery of the Greatest Generation (who gave use the Vietnam War and the Great Society, after all*) is an awesome touch.

If only it was accurate.

Actual Federal Corporate Tax Rates for 1909-2012 are at the link below, and I don't think they bear out what you're saying.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179682 Jul 11, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
c<quoted text>Invoking the imagery of the Greatest Generation (who gave use the Vietnam War and the Great Society, after all*) is an awesome touch.
If only it was accurate.
Actual Federal Corporate Tax Rates for 1909-2012 are at the link below, and I don't think they bear out what you're saying.
Tell it to Brokaw.

If you've already read it maybe it's time to read it again.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Greatest-Generation...

Location hidden

#179683 Jul 11, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Politics and the various directions people take it is a lot like the weather in New England. If you don't like it now, just wait a few minutes.

I'm sorry you're firmly committed and resigned to the "this is how it's going to be from now own" philosophy.
In all sincerity, how is it going to be going forward?

I asked the same question to "common sense" a month or so ago and received no reply.

I also asked him not to get all "Hope and Change" on me with his answer.
Maybe that's why the lack of response.

(((Shrug)))

Location hidden

#179684 Jul 11, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the people want the same things you do, Flash. Unfortunately, the Republican/Democrat sideshow is working so well that the people feel there's nothing they can do about it.

Getting a nation of 300,000,000 people together is not easy. As long as the Republicans and Democrats can keep us fighting each other, the scum in office can continue to rape the land.

The thing they fear the most is us coming together and taking the country back.
The country is divided.

Everyone is either a racist, bigot or a zealot.

Work together?

Silver lining?

Pray tell!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 16 min Bonk 71,283
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 35 min Johnny 447,319
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 58 min Dang Jersey Piney 994,983
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 2 hr Johnny 62
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 2 hr fiteqprpr 481
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr FathrFlanagan Bug... 699,333
News Sarah Palin going on 'Oprah' (Oct '09) 3 hr Stormy Marriages 711