Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#179552 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I get it. You exhausted your repertoire yesterday, and I come just in time for the dregs........
You didn't answer. You made an assertion stated as a fact, then hid behind "opinion" as a shield against any challenge.
As has been stated way more often than necessary here, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but not their own facts. In the real world, facts are NOT relative, although an exclusive diet of Fox News would understandably lead one to believe so.
I don't think bobby wants anybody in his thread but right-thinkin''merkuns and the occasional easy to handle troll.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#179553 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
Their #1 priority for the next four years, as stated by their leaders, was to regain power. Everything they have done since, and more importantly everything they have NOT done, is with that goal in mind EXCLUSIVELY.

Which is why they have earned the lowest public satisfaction numbers of any Congress in history. Now think back at some of the scoundrels and mountebanks we've had in history. Yeah, The last two Congresses have been lower than all of them.
Reconcile that in the No-Spin Zone, bob.
Kinda sucks...kinda.

You see, what I'm getting out of that, besides that it sucks, is that the republican lead is willing to handle a flat lined nation until it DOES regain power with the HOPES that the U.S of A. doesn't go into a full blown meltdown.

And...according to some here, that ai'nt going to happen!

Sooooooooo, kudos to the GOP!

Hip...Hip...Hooray!

*sung with gusto!*

So long sad times, go long bad times
We are rid of you at last
Howdy gay times, cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So lets sing a song of cheer again

Altogether, shout it now, there's no one
Who can doubt it now
So lets tell the world about it now
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179554 Jul 6, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Americans? No surprise.
About 13+ years ago, a brand new network decided to buck the left-leaning established media and <gasp> present BOTH sides of the issues. Since then, the left in every capacity, has tried to silence Fox News. When that wasn't achievable, the same effort went into marginalizing FNN. Fox is far from perfect.
All I can suggest is that you take 'em for a test drive, and then decide for yourself. I CAN tell you that the hosts of the various shows within Fox are from all 3 sides of the political spectrum, right, left, and indy.
Fox weekends Sat-Sun are BRUTAL(IMO). It's mostly financial analysis (Sat), and jurist-host analysis (Sun).
Your "about 13+ years ago" is pretty broad, considering Fox started up in the Reagan years. I do think it's indicative of an upswell in national political interest, representing so many people as being asleep relative to current events prior to the election of Bush and the events of 9/11.

I also would point out to the readership that you assert, quite honestly and innocently, that virtaully any and all media outside of Fox is "left-leaning". In other words, Fox is in the cneter, supposedly, while everything else is left. That should be all one needs to know as far as Fox bias.

Rupert Murdoch astutely observed in the mid-80's that there was an under-represented far right conservative 65+ Caucasian demographic that would respond favorably and loyally to having their own channel on cable TV. It was a lucrative decision by Murdoch.

Loyal viewers like to crow about beating "all the competition". This is true, as far as it goes, but please note that one episode of the cartoon The Simpsons beats all Fox News for the entire day. I would suggest that this narrow demographic is the only one of significance that tunes into a single source to receive their marching orders, er, excuse me, "news". Murdoch delivers a daily dose of angst and outrage sorely required by this group to venture forth into the world and disseminate right-leaning talking points.

Memos have been leaked that showed Fox being coached by the RNC as to what particular language to use, particularly during the health-care debate. I personally would have little beef with Fox were it not for the misinformation and creative editing for which they've been caught time and time again, which would indicate a deliberate editorial mission. The Fifth Estate is vital to a thriving democracy, and misinformation is merely masturbating the viewer/reader for pecuniary gain, and as such signals the death knell of the ideals of a democracy.

Finally, Fox actively fosters a "siege mentality" that makes their viewers assert loudly that their preferred lifestyles, livelihoods, and their very lives are under constant attack. Far right-wingers are the ones who screech about THEIR liberties being under attack by Big Gov't while out the other side of their head saying anything you do outside their preferred paradigm is "against all tradition and accepted practice" or some such, and should be prevented by force of law.

By far the most popular Fox shows are in prime-time hours, followed by early morning, and these deliver the dose as required. In the lesser-viewed hours, the shows do tend to a slightly more "newsy" approach.

At least Limbaugh is honest. He calls his radio stuff "entertainment", not journalism.

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#179555 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Your "about 13+ years ago" is pretty broad, considering Fox started up in the Reagan years. I do think it's indicative of an upswell in national political interest, representing so many people as being asleep relative to current events prior to the election of Bush and the events of 9/11.
I also would point out to the readership that you assert, quite honestly and innocently, that virtaully any and all media outside of Fox is "left-leaning". In other words, Fox is in the cneter, supposedly, while everything else is left. That should be all one needs to know as far as Fox bias.
Rupert Murdoch astutely observed in the mid-80's that there was an under-represented far right conservative 65+ Caucasian demographic that would respond favorably and loyally to having their own channel on cable TV. It was a lucrative decision by Murdoch.
Loyal viewers like to crow about beating "all the competition". This is true, as far as it goes, but please note that one episode of the cartoon The Simpsons beats all Fox News for the entire day. I would suggest that this narrow demographic is the only one of significance that tunes into a single source to receive their marching orders, er, excuse me, "news". Murdoch delivers a daily dose of angst and outrage sorely required by this group to venture forth into the world and disseminate right-leaning talking points.
Memos have been leaked that showed Fox being coached by the RNC as to what particular language to use, particularly during the health-care debate. I personally would have little beef with Fox were it not for the misinformation and creative editing for which they've been caught time and time again, which would indicate a deliberate editorial mission. The Fifth Estate is vital to a thriving democracy, and misinformation is merely masturbating the viewer/reader for pecuniary gain, and as such signals the death knell of the ideals of a democracy.
Finally, Fox actively fosters a "siege mentality" that makes their viewers assert loudly that their preferred lifestyles, livelihoods, and their very lives are under constant attack. Far right-wingers are the ones who screech about THEIR liberties being under attack by Big Gov't while out the other side of their head saying anything you do outside their preferred paradigm is "against all tradition and accepted practice" or some such, and should be prevented by force of law.
By far the most popular Fox shows are in prime-time hours, followed by early morning, and these deliver the dose as required. In the lesser-viewed hours, the shows do tend to a slightly more "newsy" approach.
At least Limbaugh is honest. He calls his radio stuff "entertainment", not journalism.
My feeling is that Fox News is a voice of the Republican party. That leaves the rest of the main stream media as the voice of the Democratic party. A pox on both your houses, my friend. I hate to say it but you're all the problem.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179556 Jul 6, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
<quoted text>
My feeling is that Fox News is a voice of the Republican party. That leaves the rest of the main stream media as the voice of the Democratic party. A pox on both your houses, my friend. I hate to say it but you're all the problem.
I don't know why you'd hate to say it if you believe it. Understandable. This country needs middle-of-the roaders just as much as the off-centers and the fringe, so speak up.

To be clear, my problem with Fox is not that they represent a conservative view, or that they have a bias, or a slant, or anything of the kind. In a democracy, differences often contribute to a more even-handed, if watered-down, finished product when both agree in common that the good of the country is paramount. This is how we crafted a pretty fine nation, albeit with a couple hiccups along the way.

My problem with Fox is the deliberate and systematic manipulation of images and information and passing it off as factual and authoritative. Not slanted, but outright falsehoods. If one doesn't feel an honest position is strong enough to carry an argument, you sense that. If they don't feel strong in their position, you don't either. They know that, so they manipulate, tell half-truths, withhold countermanding information, and sometimes just go for it and lie.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#179557 Jul 6, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Given the several dozen posts Awakening [sic] has made to this point, it seems just as likely to me that the Americans who told him that subscribe to the notion that Fox News is controlled by the boogeyman, in this case Zionists.
I'm sure you saw where Awakener apologized not too long ago. Most everyone accepts yours, are you unwilling to accept his?(Rhetorical)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#179558 Jul 6, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think bobby wants anybody in his thread but right-thinkin''merkuns and the occasional easy to handle troll.
C'mon Willham. After nearly 7 years,you know better'n that.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#179559 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know why you'd hate to say it if you believe it. Understandable. This country needs middle-of-the roaders just as much as the off-centers and the fringe, so speak up.
To be clear, my problem with Fox is not that they represent a conservative view, or that they have a bias, or a slant, or anything of the kind. In a democracy, differences often contribute to a more even-handed, if watered-down, finished product when both agree in common that the good of the country is paramount. This is how we crafted a pretty fine nation, albeit with a couple hiccups along the way.
My problem with Fox is the deliberate and systematic manipulation of images and information and passing it off as factual and authoritative. Not slanted, but outright falsehoods. If one doesn't feel an honest position is strong enough to carry an argument, you sense that. If they don't feel strong in their position, you don't either. They know that, so they manipulate, tell half-truths, withhold countermanding information, and sometimes just go for it and lie.
http://www.newsfocus.org/media_control.htm

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#179560 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>
If that were true, Fox would NEVER have lasted as long as it has. I watch various programs
hosted by conservatives and liberals on FNN, and have not seen the blatant lying, etc., you just wrote.

If you'd care to post an example for the class, I'd be most interested. Oh and maybe skip the Malmady reference. Everyone knows BillO is a blatant liar! The Honorable Senator Al Franken will testify to that.

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#179561 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know why you'd hate to say it if you believe it. Understandable. This country needs middle-of-the roaders just as much as the off-centers and the fringe, so speak up.
I said I hate to say it because I've seen you post for years and I've always been impressed with your ability to show kindness while you expressed your views. I've been impressed with everyone on this thread. You're all intelligent people who have strong opinions but you don't cross that line we know as human decency. So in saying that, I didn't want to point the finger at people I respected. This is a good thread and I don't want to ruin it.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179562 Jul 6, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If that were true, Fox would NEVER have lasted as long as it has. I watch various programs
hosted by conservatives and liberals on FNN, and have not seen the blatant lying, etc., you just wrote.
If you'd care to post an example for the class, I'd be most interested. Oh and maybe skip the Malmady reference. Everyone knows BillO is a blatant liar! The Honorable Senator Al Franken will testify to that.
Would never have lasted? What are you talking about? is it not the #1 cable newsey format in virtually every time slot that matters to advertisers, with a solid average of 1-2 million loyal viewers? That's a sure-fire recipe for longevity, bob. There ain't no law against it.

Bob, I knew this would bring up the ages-old debate about Fox. If you want a listing go to PolitiFact who cannot be "liberal" cos Rachel Maddow hates 'em. I've shared them before, the quote-mining, creative sound-bite edits, and outright fabrications, and they just keep adding to the list. If it works for you, then hey! it's all good. Buy gold.

Fair disclosure: My primary news outlet is the local 1/2 hour broadcast with sports and that fine-lookin' weather girl. For the morning drive I flip between Bob & Tom, and NPR. I "pick up" on the headlines that way. I buy a paper once or twice a month if I'm stuck eating lunch alone, generally USA Today. I >crush< the sports websites during football season, but the rest of the year - meh. If I want anything in depth, I use the Internet. I don't want to knock Wikipedia; it's a fine entry level place for Cliff Notes type of info, but it should not be considered authoritative, especially on controversial topics. If I'm wasting time I browse compilation sites like Digg or Mediate. I'll catch Jon Stewart at dinner when I'm around, but it's not like it's on the DVR list. He is unabashedly East Coast liberal but he's been banging on the VA problems re:Obama since looooong before Fox "found" it.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#179563 Jul 6, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>On cue? I don't even know what that means?(besides the obvious distraction......)
Looked to me like I was the first one here this morning, so after starting the coffee, I joined in. I don't see how that could be "right on cue". Has there been another arbitrary rule established?
Well if you don't get something simple as that, I damn sure can't explain it to ya.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179564 Jul 6, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you saw where Awakener apologized not too long ago. Most everyone accepts yours, are you unwilling to accept his?(Rhetorical)
Awakener didn't owe me an apology, assuming he posted things he actually believes.

There was nothing to accept.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179565 Jul 6, 2014
<quoted text>
I said I hate to say it because I've seen you post for years and I've always been impressed with your ability to show kindness while you expressed your views. I've been impressed with everyone on this thread. You're all intelligent people who have strong opinions but you don't cross that line we know as human decency. So in saying that, I didn't want to point the finger at people I respected. This is a good thread and I don't want to ruin it.
There it is.

"C'mon people now
smile on your brother
everybody get together
try an' love one another right now
Right now.
Right Now."

It's a great sentiment, and I'll get behind it when the playing field is level. But I will fight for factual truth, and against manipulation and half-truths. My heart is firmly with the working class, tank t-shirts and all. I'm no longer a Christian, but feel that Jesus' was as fine a social message on which to base a life-view as anything going.

Be Well.
HipG

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179566 Jul 6, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon Willham. After nearly 7 years,you know better'n that.
Uhhhh ... no, actually, for a while now that's the way you come across to me.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179567 Jul 6, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you don't get something simple as that, I damn sure can't explain it to ya.
Ok so I'm left to context. Soooo if someone joins in, at any time whatsoever, they're "right on cue"?

Was your response to me, "right on cue"?

Paraphrasing Inigo Montaya, "You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means."

;)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#179568 Jul 6, 2014
<quoted text>
And you are most kind to say that S&H.

(Un)fortunately I cannot be included. In nearly 7 years here, I've been known to cross the line on numerous occasions. I've replied without kindness to posts, and have engaged in prolonged flame wars, especially to a certain gibberish-speaking "gray box" troll with several user names.

I did get a few requests from some regs in here to cease the flaming, and stop feeding trolls, so I sit on my hands and type with my forehead whenever I get the urge these days.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#179569 Jul 6, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Awakener didn't owe me an apology, assuming he posted things he actually believes.
There was nothing to accept.
OK--------noted.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179570 Jul 6, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
Oh, boy.

It's Time For The Secret NWO Cartel To Meet
Ultra-Secret Bilderberg Conference 2014

"The CFR is, in the very least, a foreign policy think tank, and at the worst, a catalyst for foreign intervention by the U.S. for the New World Order. The CFR is part of a three tier system of international control that begins with the super secretive Bilderberg Group, the Trilateral Commission, and then the CFR. They pick our leaders and politicians, and apparently have everything to do with our news media as well. Needless to say, this is an egregious breach of journalistic ethics for our media."

In 1968 I used to read this stuff on newsprint. Now I read it on the web.

It has not improved with age.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#179571 Jul 6, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, boy.
It's Time For The Secret NWO Cartel To Meet
Ultra-Secret Bilderberg Conference 2014
"The CFR is, in the very least, a foreign policy think tank, and at the worst, a catalyst for foreign intervention by the U.S. for the New World Order. The CFR is part of a three tier system of international control that begins with the super secretive Bilderberg Group, the Trilateral Commission, and then the CFR. They pick our leaders and politicians, and apparently have everything to do with our news media as well. Needless to say, this is an egregious breach of journalistic ethics for our media."
In 1968 I used to read this stuff on newsprint. Now I read it on the web.
It has not improved with age.
I'm guessing in 1968 it would have been in the Village Voice.

"...and the times they are a'changin'."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min KENTUCKY- 678,639
Stop Global GENOCIDE for OIL 6 min Hiddn Numbrz 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 19 min ROCCO 118,629
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 26 min Holy Jehowa Witness 33,211
What was the Yugoslav military doing deployed i... 46 min UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 5
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr RiccardoFire 2,165
News Bill to loosen financial rules would save $24 b... 4 hr UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 2
More from around the web