Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#179295 Jun 30, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/06...
'Dangerous moment'
"When you have individuals as diverse as Iranian Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu counseling caution to any U.S. intervention, it's time to think seriously about such an idea.
"When your enemies are fighting each other, don't strengthen either one of them," was how Netanyahu put it."
====
Why did the US leave behind so many tanks, weapons, etc for these people to get their hands on?
We provided equipment to the Iraqi military, thinking they would use that equipment to fight the likes of ISIS. There would have been somebody like ISIS even if ISIS hadn't sleazed its way out of Syria. We gave the equipment to the Iraqi government in good faith.

We didn't " leave behind so many tanks, weapons, etc" for ISIS to get their hands on. The Iraqis did that all by themselves.

We kinda thought maybe they'd, well, you know, fight.

I don't see a viable option for US intervention in Iraq right now.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#179296 Jun 30, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, you are crazy. Catch is a vile person and if he is lives at the level he claims to a total waste of a man. Laugh it up Le Le and tell us again how every heart counts and is important unless they aren't pc. In that case its cool for scum like catch to lie and smear.
He's no more a stalker than you are, Clearwater.

You'd have to have a heart to understand what I was trying to say
regarding "every heart". Keep using it against me though.. Stalker.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#179297 Jun 30, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Princip was a Bosnian Serb from an Orthodox family.
Now, he may have been antisemitic - about that I know nothing, because it played no role in the assassination - but that wouldn't have been unusual in the time and place.
Willie, after reading this Saturday night, I was curious, so I checked a couple of online sites, including wikipedia. To my surprise, you are right, and so I stand corrected.

But can you help me out here? I was honestly under the impression that Princip was a Muslim, and that wasn't something I made up from whole cloth. I KNOW I read it somewhere, and it wasn't a propaganda site. Have you any idea how I could have come by that mistaken idea? I'd really like to figure out why I believed that, so I don't fall into the same kind of trap another time.

I do want to thank you for giving me the heads-up. By now, you probably know me well enough to know that I value the truth, even when the truth contradicts what I'd previously believed.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#179298 Jun 30, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS just ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, Chris.
And I'm dancing a jig over it, too :D
Lost In Transition

United States

#179299 Jun 30, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>We provided equipment to the Iraqi military, thinking they would use that equipment to fight the likes of ISIS. There would have been somebody like ISIS even if ISIS hadn't sleazed its way out of Syria. We gave the equipment to the Iraqi government in good faith.
We didn't " leave behind so many tanks, weapons, etc" for ISIS to get their hands on. The Iraqis did that all by themselves.
We kinda thought maybe they'd, well, you know, fight.

I don't see a viable option for US intervention in Iraq right now.
I'm with ya.
I say we send in the Lizard Lick Towing squad and try to get some of our stuff back.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#179300 Jun 30, 2014
Strength and Honor wrote:
The two questions I'm asking myself as an observer are:
Why do more than a few people have such a negative view of Catcher?
and
Why is he willing to sit back and watch as people he supposedly cares about brutalize each other in his name?
If you asked Willie and Hip I suspect they would say because Catcher is a liberal, but I know that's not so. He doesn't care enough about anything to be a liberal or a conservative. There are liberals here that get my goat but I sure don't believe them to be stalkers.
But don't be concerned. Once in awhile it gets pretty testy here but it always settles down. I am glad you're here as well. You appear to be an observer and a listener. That is a gift.

Location hidden

#179301 Jun 30, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Good observation
2) He's a forum arsonist, meaning he starts fires in forums and then steps back into the shadows to watch them burn. That accomplishes two things. It gives him the drama he obviously likes and by stepping back, it offers him the illusion of having taken the high road.
and they always return to the scene of the crime.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#179302 Jun 30, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
p.s.
I think some of you are looking for a private forum.
This isn't one.

Location hidden

#179303 Jun 30, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Sure didn't think that would happen. Good news today.
I'm wondering if this will set a precedent, and many more suits will be filed.
Lost In Transition

United States

#179304 Jun 30, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS just ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, Chris.
Also in favor of cellular privacy and against union over-reach. Busy beavers.
I thought they blew it in the Aereo case, though.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179305 Jun 30, 2014
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Willie, after reading this Saturday night, I was curious, so I checked a couple of online sites, including wikipedia. To my surprise, you are right, and so I stand corrected.
But can you help me out here? I was honestly under the impression that Princip was a Muslim, and that wasn't something I made up from whole cloth. I KNOW I read it somewhere, and it wasn't a propaganda site. Have you any idea how I could have come by that mistaken idea? I'd really like to figure out why I believed that, so I don't fall into the same kind of trap another time.
I do want to thank you for giving me the heads-up. By now, you probably know me well enough to know that I value the truth, even when the truth contradicts what I'd previously believed.
Honestly, Roberta, I don't know where you got that impression. What you read could have been written by someone who heard 'terror' and 'Serbia' and assumed Muslim without intentional malice.

The only places I've heard say something like that are about as credible as not-very awake's lies about Zionists.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179306 Jun 30, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm wondering if this will set a precedent, and many more suits will be filed.
The ruling was pretty limited to tightly held businesses, so there is a small pool of companies for which it is a precedent, according to what I've read.

Location hidden

#179307 Jun 30, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The ruling was pretty limited to tightly held businesses, so there is a small pool of companies for which it is a precedent, according to what I've read.
We've always heard that about 90% of all workers work for small businesses. I don't know for sure if that is a true statistic, but if it is all of those small companies might have issues with the rules of the ACA. I haven't read any of the opinions from the justices yet, don't even know who said yay and who said nay.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179308 Jun 30, 2014
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Meant to add ... I knew you would not want to be saying things that weren't true.

You are about the only poster left I can reply to the way I did without anticipating a backlash, and while I half expected one (the nature of the thread these days) I knew it wouldn't come from you.
Lost In Transition

United States

#179309 Jun 30, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>We've always heard that about 90% of all workers work for small businesses. I don't know for sure if that is a true statistic, but if it is all of those small companies might have issues with the rules of the ACA. I haven't read any of the opinions from the justices yet, don't even know who said yay and who said nay.
From Business Insider.....

"In perhaps the biggest case of its term, the Supreme Court ruled Monday that "closely held," for-profit corporations like Hobby Lobby Inc. cannot be compelled to pay for employees' contraception if they object on religious grounds.
So, what is a closely held corporation?
The Internal Revenue Service has spelled it out in plain terms in a Q&A on its website. Generally, it fits two descriptions:
•Has more than 50% of the value of its outstanding stock owned (directly or indirectly) by five or fewer individuals at any time during the last half of the tax year; and
•Is not a personal service corporation.
According to the IRS, more than 90% of all businesses in the U.S. fit the definition of "closely held," a statistic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi cited in her denunciation of the decision".

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179310 Jun 30, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>We've always heard that about 90% of all workers work for small businesses. I don't know for sure if that is a true statistic, but if it is all of those small companies might have issues with the rules of the ACA. I haven't read any of the opinions from the justices yet, don't even know who said yay and who said nay.
This is the United States of America, so there will be future lawsuits on the issue.

Sue - it's what we do.

Good info on the definition of 'closely held' here:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/hobby-lobby-ru...

Location hidden

#179311 Jun 30, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
From Business Insider.....
"In perhaps the biggest case of its term, the Supreme Court ruled Monday that "closely held," for-profit corporations like Hobby Lobby Inc. cannot be compelled to pay for employees' contraception if they object on religious grounds.
So, what is a closely held corporation?
The Internal Revenue Service has spelled it out in plain terms in a Q&A on its website. Generally, it fits two descriptions:
•Has more than 50% of the value of its outstanding stock owned (directly or indirectly) by five or fewer individuals at any time during the last half of the tax year; and
•Is not a personal service corporation.
According to the IRS, more than 90% of all businesses in the U.S. fit the definition of "closely held," a statistic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi cited in her denunciation of the decision".
I've not heard the term closely held before and maybe "small" and "closely held" occupy the same stat. Thanks for the information.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179312 Jun 30, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>If you asked Willie and Hip I suspect they would say because Catcher is a liberal, but I know that's not so. He doesn't care enough about anything to be a liberal or a conservative. There are liberals here that get my goat but I sure don't believe them to be stalkers.
But don't be concerned. Once in awhile it gets pretty testy here but it always settles down. I am glad you're here as well. You appear to be an observer and a listener. That is a gift.
Actually, if you asked Willie he'd tell you this is an internet bored game played between two willing (or originally willing, or sometimes willing) participants. Depending on his mood, his answer might be accompanied by a blunt suggestion that going forward the questioner should, well, I dunno, read what he posts.

That's what I've been posting all along.

Lib/con plays into it, because lib/con seems to play into almost everything we do here. Look at the steady, ongoing attempts to mischaracterize my comments on the issue into a 'defense' of one of the players in the game.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#179313 Jun 30, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I've not heard the term closely held before and maybe "small" and "closely held" occupy the same stat. Thanks for the information.
There's a lot of overlap in the two categories.

You can be considered a small business by the SBA and have up to 1500 employees, generating 21 million and change in revenue. That's in manufacturing - it varies from industry to industry.

There's one closely-held agricultural concern employing 35,000 people that projects 17.3 BILLION dollars in revenue this year.

I've got mixed feelings about this ruling. I'm a big believer in the religious protections of the 1st amendment, and don't have a problem with a mom 'n pop operation that has a couple facilities claiming a religious exemption. On the other hand, when you're a chain of stores operating in half the 50 states employing 21 thousand people doing over 2 billion bucks in revenue ... something don't smell right to me.

I guess it depends on where it goes from here.
Clearwater

Safety Harbor, FL

#179314 Jun 30, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
I said he was a vile man and gave my reasons. I have heart Le Le but I get that in your messed up world many of us don't count. In other words you'll full of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Jack in the Box 37,016
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Big Al 988,479
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 688,739
Does anyone else hate being around white women? 1 hr hmmmm 32
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Here For Now 619,812
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr biblewipes 6,547
EXPOSING: The Clintons And The Russians 7 hr Big Truth 1
More from around the web