Bush is a hero
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#177628 May 31, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely, Live Free or Die. All many of us want from the government is a safe place to live our lives.
Bingo. I was on a longer route yesterday that gave me more time to think. So I was thinking back to April 2002, just a few short months after our world changed. I took a trip to Honolulu becuase at the time it was quite affordable. Mps in every airport as it was a surreal time. Still remember the mixed feelings I had, not right but with that mindset we had to do it. Dad drove me to the airport and after the car was searched I said this isn't right to put this power in the hands of government. Little did we know back then.
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#177629 May 31, 2014
Roberta G wrote:
Hi, folks. I figured it was time I showed my face in here again :)
Hey Roberta.
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#177630 May 31, 2014
Long time posters of topix may remember John Coffee. Just see that he passed. I say what I always do, God is good and has the final word. Rip bro.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#177631 May 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No bath houses, but I stayed at a wonderful resort on the southwest corner of the island. We had two private beaches, one facing south and the other one west.
Thanks for asking.
What,(yawn) no slide show?
===

Here's a question.

What's the appropriate pecking order these days for people getting off a sinking ship?

In the old days, it was always "women and children first." Simple. Clear. But now with the everyone being all equal and stuff, I was wondering if a new protocol has been established by the liberal etiquette department.
Who gets into the lifeboats first these days?
Do happily clad, jaunty little gay men for example get to go before .... masculine lesbians sporting camouflage resort-wear? What line does the cross-dresser stand in? How about the woman trapped in a man's body? Which lifeboat does that person get in? And how about that special someone whose unsure of what they are? Does the captain flip a coin? How much weight do ones personal "feelings" actually carry in determining when a person is allowed off a sinking ship and into a lifeboat?

The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be on a vessel in June for a week with about 20 passengers; the majority of whom are liberal and in the unfortunate event we start to sink, I want to know how many people I'm going to be competing with for the first seats in a lifeboat...... I don't want to offend anyone. Normally, I'd just plan to get off with all the other regular women, problem solved, but if I'm supposed to share the first lifeboat with a person who, for example looks like a man, but FEELS like a woman, I don't want to make the social faux pas of shoving him out of the lifeboat while calling him an unchivalrous chicken a$$ by mistake. See?

Oh, If you want travel details on the sand, weather, bathrobe thickness, which brand name facial products are in the welcome baskets, the availability of kayaks on board and which way the beaches of the various Greek Islands face, research it yourself. I don't post that kind of junk. It bores the hell out of people.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ship...

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#177632 May 31, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
===
Here's a question.
What's the appropriate pecking order these days for people getting off a sinking ship?
In the old days, it was always "women and children first." Simple. Clear. But now with the everyone being all equal and stuff, I was wondering if a new protocol has been established by the liberal etiquette department.
Do happily clad, jaunty little gay men for example get to go before .... masculine lesbians sporting camouflage resort-wear? What line does the cross-dresser stand in? How about the woman trapped in a man's body? Which lifeboat does that person get in? And how about that special someone whose unsure of what they are? Does the captain flip a coin? How much weight do ones personal "feelings" actually carry in determining when a person is allowed off a sinking ship and into a lifeboat?
The reason I'm asking is I'm going to be on a vessel in June for a week with about 20 passengers; the majority of whom are liberal and in the unfortunate event we start to sink, I want to know how many people I'm going to be competing with for the first seats in a lifeboat...... I don't want to offend anyone. Normally, I'd just plan to get off with all the other regular women, problem solved, but if I'm supposed to share the first lifeboat with a person who, for example looks like a man, but FEELS like a woman, I don't want to make the social faux pas of shoving him out of the lifeboat while calling him an unchivalrous chicken a$$ by mistake. See?
Oh, If you want travel details on the sand, weather, bathrobe thickness, which brand name facial products are in the welcome baskets, the availability of kayaks on board and which way the beaches of the various Greek Islands face, research it yourself. I don't post that kind of junk. It bores the hell out of people.
Actually from the last few oceanic disasters, I think we can safely say the Captain is the first one off the ship..........
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#177633 May 31, 2014
Obama v. Bush @ West Point

If applause is any indicator..........

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/05...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#177634 May 31, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
===
Here's a question.
Oh, no reason to fret, your monologue was not boring in the least--almost thrilling actually.

Bon voyage and say hi to Odysseus for me.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#177635 May 31, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely, Live Free or Die. All many of us want from the government is a safe place to live our lives.
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo. I was on a longer route yesterday that gave me more time to think. So I was thinking back to April 2002, just a few short months after our world changed. I took a trip to Honolulu becuase at the time it was quite affordable. Mps in every airport as it was a surreal time. Still remember the mixed feelings I had, not right but with that mindset we had to do it. Dad drove me to the airport and after the car was searched I said this isn't right to put this power in the hands of government. Little did we know back then.
Well said, both of you. The first and most important duty of any government, anywhere on earth is to PROTECT ITS CITIZENS, if necessary even from the government itself.

(((((((((( hugs the stuffing out of Chris and Freebird ))))))))))

Location hidden

#177636 May 31, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
Long time posters of topix may remember John Coffee. Just see that he passed. I say what I always do, God is good and has the final word. Rip bro.
Thanks for passing that on, Chris.

Rest in peace, John Coffey.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#177637 May 31, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Have them call legal aid in the area of Alaska that they live in. I swear to you that they do a better job advising and representing than any hot shot lawyer. No fee. They don't do divorces or child custody but do everything else. They are like the orthodontists at the university. They are under supervision and so it's like you have a team working on your case.(my kids have gorgeous teeth)
Hi Lis. Bro said he contacted Legal Aid, and they said that "No one here wants to deal with that case." He called every lawyer in the book, and even contacted lawyers in Ketchikan and Haines, with the same results. I think that part of the problem is that the St. Vincent DePaul runs the complex, and nobody wants to fight a church-backed organization.
The plain truth is that it's hard for Natives to get legal representation in Southeast Alaska.
Yeah, yeah. Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction, but last winter my sixty two year old sister had been evicted from her trailer during a snowstorm. Her home burned down in June of 2012, and the contractor took eighteen months to put up a salvaged trailer where her house used to be. He charged her sixty eight thousand dollars for a trailer that was worth Maybe twelve thousand dollars. She tried to sue the contractor but no lawyer would help her. She went to the local Native organization, and they said they couldn't help/ Eighteen months of homelessness, and then evicted because her trailer wasn't insured. They kept her out of the trailer for six more months.
So, it might be a knee jerk reaction, or the truth is the truth. I don't know because I have yet to speak to Legal services on Bro's behalf. I did contact them for my sis, but never got a call back.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#177638 May 31, 2014
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Lis. Bro said he contacted Legal Aid, and they said that "No one here wants to deal with that case." He called every lawyer in the book, and even contacted lawyers in Ketchikan and Haines, with the same results. I think that part of the problem is that the St. Vincent DePaul runs the complex, and nobody wants to fight a church-backed organization.
The plain truth is that it's hard for Natives to get legal representation in Southeast Alaska.
Yeah, yeah. Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction, but last winter my sixty two year old sister had been evicted from her trailer during a snowstorm. Her home burned down in June of 2012, and the contractor took eighteen months to put up a salvaged trailer where her house used to be. He charged her sixty eight thousand dollars for a trailer that was worth Maybe twelve thousand dollars. She tried to sue the contractor but no lawyer would help her. She went to the local Native organization, and they said they couldn't help/ Eighteen months of homelessness, and then evicted because her trailer wasn't insured. They kept her out of the trailer for six more months.
So, it might be a knee jerk reaction, or the truth is the truth. I don't know because I have yet to speak to Legal services on Bro's behalf. I did contact them for my sis, but never got a call back.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
I don't doubt you at all and can only go on my experience in Ohio and Iowa. I sent lots of clients to legal aid with great results but ... My next thought if you are being treated differently of course is ACLU. But I don't know what the result of that would be in Alaska, again all my experience is in the midwest.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#177639 May 31, 2014
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
Does anyone know how to deal with the housing authority, or how to take a landlord to court on an indigent filing? My brother is living in Southeast Alaska, and his apartment is a disaster area. He has no smoke alarms, faulty wiring, bad plumbing and an indifferent landlord. He and my mother have been in that crapper for three years, and they've never fixed anything. I'd appreciate some real advice on this.
Hey Bobbi!
Not my favorite people,but perhaps Code Enforcement might be helpful.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#177641 Jun 1, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I don't doubt you at all and can only go on my experience in Ohio and Iowa. I sent lots of clients to legal aid with great results but ... My next thought if you are being treated differently of course is ACLU. But I don't know what the result of that would be in Alaska, again all my experience is in the midwest.
I can't make heads nor tails out of what is going on in Alaska. The law enforcement has declared war on street people. They took to entrapping them by offering large amounts of money for their meds, then arrest the poor bastards and use the bust to take away their medications. It's not just stopping folks on the street and saying,'hey, I'll give you three bucks a pill for your pain meds.' It's a concentrated effort. They have badgered a number of people into selling them pills,a dn arresting them. When they get to court, the arrestees tell the judge that the undercover cops followed them relentlessly, and the judge says,'just say no.' and then takes away their much needed medications. That kind of onslaught should be illegal. especially when the law Knows that street people are hurting for more than just pain meds. they are hurting for food, blankets and just about anything else that you and I take for granted. This program went on for two years, and just about every street person in Juneau is doing without medications for arthritis, war wounds, chronic pain, and even their med to keep them sane enough to function in society.
Back in the day, it was against the law to evict anyone during winter months. the odds of someone, or a family member dying from the weather was too great, but when I heard first hand that three police officers literally dragged my sister out of that rat-trap of a trailer simply because it wasn't insured made my blood boil. I know the people of Hoonah, and they used to be better than that. But, when my mom moved from there back to Juneau, things got bad for some reason.
Bottom line is that things are bad in Southeast Alaska. Race is part of it, but I think it goes deeper. It feels like they're messing with Natives and the poor Just because they can.
BTW, I DO know that not everybody is racist. I was in college in 1977, and my wife and I were walking on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma, just out for the evening. A car full of kids went by, and they were shooting roofing nails with a sling shot. they aimed at me and missed, hitting my wife in the forehead, half an inch above her left eye. I grabbed Chris and put myself between them and her. When the car sped off, a bunch of men came out of a bar. One asked if we were OK, and about four of them ran after the car, because the light trapped them about a half block down the street. they dragged the boys out of the car and held them for the police. When the cops took the boys away, all the men came back by us, asking if they could do anything. I thanked them and said that the nail missed her eye, and there was a bruise, but she would be OK. We shook hands all around and said good night.
They all looked like rednecks, but their kindness made my wife weep. That was thirty seven years ago, but I like to think that folks like that are still around.
Later!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177642 Jun 1, 2014
Obama Biden and rape overblown assault stats against women

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-chec...

“We know the numbers: one in five of every one of those young women who is dropped off for that first day of school, before they finish school, will be assaulted, will be assaulted in her college years.”

–Vice President Biden, remarks on the release of a White House report on sexual assault, April 29, 2014

“It is estimated that 1 in 5 women on college campuses has been sexually assaulted during their time there — 1 in 5.”

–President Obama, remarks at White House, Jan. 22, 2014

----------

http://madison.patch.com/groups/schools/p/dre...

A Drew University student has filed a lawsuit against the school and two of his classmates, claiming his "entire academic career has been ruined" due to false rape allegations and the institution's apparent bias against men in sexual assault investigations.
----------

Vigilante rape hysteria at Columbia

http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/vigilant...

----------

Would think these jerk wads would know better than to go around quoting questionable stats.

Location hidden

#177643 Jun 1, 2014
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...

''An estimated 1 in 5 women is sexually assaulted at college – and that’s totally unacceptable.''

Obama

Location hidden

#177644 Jun 1, 2014
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-comm...

After both students returned to school in September, Jane Doe filed charges within the university’s disciplinary system, accusing the young man of “non-consensual sexual intercourse.” After what John Doe claims was an egregiously biased investigation, in an atmosphere of heightened attention to the problem of campus sexual assault and university inaction, he was found responsible and punished with a suspension until fall 2015. Remarkably, the lawsuit states that the accuser unsuccessfully tried to appeal the sentence as too severe.

The lawsuit claims that John Doe was railroaded because Columbia University was anxious to shield itself from criticism for being too lenient with male students accused of sexual assault, particularly student-athletes.(The accused was a member of the crew team.) The complaint also alleges sex discrimination, asserting the student was singled out for unfair treatment because he is male.

This suit is part of a growing trend. Similar complaints are pending against other schools, including the University of Michigan and Vassar College. A Pennsylvania federal judge last month refused to dismiss such a lawsuit against St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. In April, Ohio’s Xavier University settled a lawsuit with basketball player Dez Wells, who was expelled in 2012 over what he says — and the county prosecutor agrees — was a false accusation of rape.

Location hidden

#177646 Jun 1, 2014
Folks, I'm requesting that those of you who believe in prayer to send a few skyward on behalf of my sister Teri. Since I posted the other day that she was back in the hospital, complications have developed, and she is to have surgery tomorrow.

Frankly, although I'm scared, it's nothing to the hell my dad is going through. When this crisis began with renal failure in February, I asked her if she wanted her two adult daughters (the older of whom has avoided contact with her mother for several years) to be notified. At that time, she specifically said she did NOT want them notified. Today, she changed her mind. I took care of it.

I won't bore you with the medical details, but my dad is honestly convinced that if Teri doesn't die as a result of her medical problems that she is going to commit suicide, if not by direct action, then by refusing treatment. Knowing my sister as I do, I fear he is right.

Tomorrow morning, I will be traveling with my dad to the hospital in Jackson, an hour from from here, to be with her as much as she wants us. Her younger daughter is catching a bus and we will pick her up soon after we arrive in Jackson.

Thanks, folks. I will let you know what happens.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#177647 Jun 1, 2014
Roberta G wrote:
Folks, I'm requesting that those of you who believe in prayer to send a few skyward on behalf of my sister Teri. Since I posted the other day that she was back in the hospital, complications have developed, and she is to have surgery tomorrow.
Frankly, although I'm scared, it's nothing to the hell my dad is going through. When this crisis began with renal failure in February, I asked her if she wanted her two adult daughters (the older of whom has avoided contact with her mother for several years) to be notified. At that time, she specifically said she did NOT want them notified. Today, she changed her mind. I took care of it.
I won't bore you with the medical details, but my dad is honestly convinced that if Teri doesn't die as a result of her medical problems that she is going to commit suicide, if not by direct action, then by refusing treatment. Knowing my sister as I do, I fear he is right.
Tomorrow morning, I will be traveling with my dad to the hospital in Jackson, an hour from from here, to be with her as much as she wants us. Her younger daughter is catching a bus and we will pick her up soon after we arrive in Jackson.
Roberta, although I don't believe in prayer, my thoughts will be with you and all your family.

I know how difficult it must be--stay strong.
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#177648 Jun 2, 2014
Roberta G wrote:
Praying Roberta for your family. Not by might nor by power but but my spirit.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#177649 Jun 2, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Roberta, although I don't believe in prayer, my thoughts will be with you and all your family.
I know how difficult it must be--stay strong.
What is wrong with you? Are you such a self-indulgent narcissist you think what you do or don't believe in is always worth a mention?

All you needed to say was, "my thoughts are with you and your family." Period. You didn't need to accompany that with your views on prayer and whether or not you believe in them. She didn't ask for an atheist show of hands. It wasn't a "who believes in prayer," survey. It wasn't your cue to give a public service announcement from the Atheists R Us Foundation. It was a simple request for prayer ----> from those who believe.
This is the 2nd time I've seen you do the exact same thing when a poster was in distress and it's revolting. Everything isn't about YOU.

We all know you're an atheist, Catcher. We all know you don't believe in prayer and that's fine and your views are to be respected but there's no need to keep banging the drum of atheism particularly when a person of faith is in anguish. It's just--> wrong.

Your lack of belief doesn't trump a person of faith, it doesn't always need to have a spotlight on it and it doesn't give you license to get your two cents in at any given time. Try to employ some restraint from your compulsion to puke up your atheistic views just because you see an opening. Sometimes it's the right thing to do, the decent thing to do and the respectful thing to do and you're way to old to not know that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min no choice 31,027
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 8 min DEMOCRAT CRYBABIES 177
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Gods View 987,334
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) 2 hr tom 7
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr truth 687,269
Is it fine watching porn with family members?? (Dec '09) 5 hr Teresa 5
READ! Tuxedo Crew is OFFICIAL! They are the BEST (Jun '14) 12 hr Sufi 29
More from around the web