Bush is a hero

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#177258 May 17, 2014
outthereandback wrote:
uh, sorry about the last post
Its alright this time..........But don't let it happen again..........
outthereandback

Knightdale, NC

#177259 May 17, 2014
you know what's funny ?

we could have asked the same questions about Vietnam

we didn't

and after all these years, Vietnam is becoming a reasonably open, western-style economy, with good people (i think ?)

Vietnam was not a religious war, was it ?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#177260 May 17, 2014
outthereandback wrote:
you know what's funny ?
we could have asked the same questions about Vietnam
we didn't
and after all these years, Vietnam is becoming a reasonably open, western-style economy, with good people (i think ?)
Vietnam was not a religious war, was it ?
I was gonna say the same thing. The Dems were in charge when Vietnam started. No political party has the market cornered on peace..........
outthereandback

Knightdale, NC

#177261 May 17, 2014
or war....

i think that all the Vietnam vets would be proud of Vietnam today. If they only knew...
Guru

Honolulu, HI

#177262 May 17, 2014
George Bush was a zero.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#177263 May 17, 2014
Guru wrote:
George Bush was a zero.
Wow man, never heard THAT one here b4!
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#177264 May 17, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Man made climate change is not yet a theory in scientific terms and it isn't a law which leaves us in the hypothetical observational stage so you'll have to forgive me for not jumping on the man-made climate change bandwagon and when a debate can still good-naturedly take place in the scientific community on whether GRAVITY should really be a theory or a law, I'm not remotely ready to cast a definitive vote on where the question of climate change should lie, but imo, nowhere in the foreseeable future should it be permitted to sit undisturbed and protected from further examination and simply be named, Case Closed.
Another excellent analogy.

The cause of "gravity" may well be theoretical and debatable, but there are definite repeatable and falsifiable aspects that render us the ability to define immutable governing laws describing it's effects on life as we know it.

Likewise with climate change - we may debate what is causing it, but we can't debate it's effects on life as we know it. I believe one of the problems with convincing people is the number of people living in cities nowadays, removed to greater or lesser degrees from the rhythms of nature. For most of us whose livelihood brings us closer to those ancient rhythms, there is absolutely no doubt somethin's happenin' here, and I ain't just talking about bad weather. I'm observing changing migration patterns, territorial shifts of fauna AND flora, cyclonic weather patterns becoming the norm (previously uncommon through the Midwest - used to typically be frontal activity), weather events - NOT on the news, but out the window - becoming more extreme. It's either monsoon or drought anymore here.

I believe I'm drawn just as skeptical as the next guy, but for me one disturbing piece of evidence is presented in Antarctic ice cores. We can track elemental deposition going back hundreds of thousands of years. Sure, carbon has fluctuated over that time. The issue is that it's happened in so short a window of time, and coinciding almost perfectly with the Industrial Age and it's reliance on carbon. So, ok, an errant asteroid or massive volcanic activity may have done it before, but what was the result? Put it this way - we might never have gained ascendancy without them clearing out the dominant species at those earlier instances. Whose turn is it now on the chopping block? And there ain't no volcano or asteroid to blame it on this time.

If one is prone to skepticism, one might at the very least turn the glass on themselves. Is it an ideological opposition? You know darn well for many it is. In this light I'd just point to the "evolution" of opposition rhetoric. Not so long ago there was absolute categorical denial that climate change was even happening. Over time it subtly shifted to, "Well, maybe it is, but man isn't the cause." Now, the latest iteration is, "Well, maybe it is, and we are, but what good if we scale back if China and India don't too?" THAT evolution of opinion, to me, is damning - it is a sure sign of ideological opposition, not science-based.

Or is it pure laziness? For a whole lot more of us it sure is, and that sweeps in a whole bunch of us. Note I said "us",'cos I'm just as resistant to changing my happy ways as the rest. I'm ready, I'm willing, I do what feeble tokens I can, but our air, our water, our food, our skin, our very lives are so awash in "labor-saving" carbon and petrochemical products and services, I'm afraid we don't even know how to turn away before we've used up every last drop, and probably had a world war or two along the way as it runs out.

You made the point that weather changes and climate changes, which is precursor to the truism that everything changes - life is change. I'm given over to total fatalism about us reacting in any significant way. The apocalyptic remnant in my psyche whispers that maybe the earth will be better off in the long haul. Burn 'em if ya got 'em.
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#177265 May 17, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I was gonna say the same thing. The Dems were in charge when Vietnam started. No political party has the market cornered on peace..........
Ya might want to hit the history books on the origins there.

Or maybe not......
Francine

Honolulu, HI

#177266 May 17, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow man, never heard THAT one here b4!
Another beach day, wunderbar! Yes i believe that GW Bush is a zero. U Betcha i do.

What you going 2 do Big Bad Bobby?

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#177267 May 17, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Ya might want to hit the history books on the origins there.
Or maybe not......
Nice shot. left all the balls on the table and didn't mess up anyone's game. Was gonna say something to him about this, but liked your answer better.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#177268 May 17, 2014
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice shot. left all the balls on the table and didn't mess up anyone's game. Was gonna say something to him about this, but liked your answer better.
With all due respect it was Truman's post WWII policy which began our involvement in Vietnam. Eisenhower sent monetary aid and training of south vietnam soldiers, Kennedy sent the first boots and Johnson let all hell break loose. We can't lay wars on anyone's shoulders. They develop over time and they were, when all is said and done, probably necessary.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#177270 May 18, 2014
Francine wrote:
<quoted text>
Another beach day, wunderbar! Yes i believe that GW Bush is a zero. U Betcha i do.
What you going 2 do Big Bad Bobby?
Well lessee. Ya live in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, yet ya feel the need to waste time taking cheap pot shots on a political thread of a former President you opposed.

With that in mind, I really don't hafta do much of ANYthing, loser. You're doin' it to yourself!(Heh heh),

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177271 May 18, 2014
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
Uh, Excuse me, but her statement is backed up by science. But because 'science' is not Real, or acknowledged by your bible, then it doesn't count.
Well i did not bring up the Bible, you did. Also a person in Science might might come up with different conclusions about the Bible and Science implications but I'm not going to get into that here because i think it is absolutely stupid to assume the Bible has little if any value because of 21st century scientific assumptions many of which will change in the future. You certainly won't find normalized treatment for female hysteria assumed by 19th century Science in the Bible or the reading of the bumps on the head. Nobody really knows what happened 3 or 4 thousand years ago in all situation and we do know there was a lot of things that did happen which did not leave us any evidence what so ever. Does not mean the events did not happen and it is the height of stupidity and myopic to assume otherwise.
Debating facts is a useless waste of time because debate does not change nature.
What does change nature? Humans? Well there is biblical precedent for that but it is not so much on account of greenhouse gases. Human assumptions behavior affects climate is nothing new.
Greenland is melting at an alarming rate. the polar caps are melting. Hell, right here in California proof is sitting right on top of Mount Shasta. Back in the day, Shasta was covered by snow year 'round, and nowadays, it is bare by mid August. But you're sure that it isn't true because climate change, The Greenhouse Effect, and Global Warming are not covered in your book.
My book, the Bible? Is that based on your years of study into the subject? Your Theology degrees or your ignorance? Man was the catalyst for the flood of Noah. Sometimes you have to be able to connect the dots.

Location hidden

#177272 May 18, 2014
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>....no longer recognized by medical authorities....but considered a humorous characterization of the facts of global climate change, by those who 'ride the lightbeam'....
Have fun with that.
I got a new 48" Sony (650 + tax around $700) and Netfiix. Stumbled across the information (Female Hysteria) in the series, American Horror Story from the first season. It was the maid who appears as an older women to most but has the potential to appear as a young temptress to men. It was depicted as men abusing women from the past. The female trust violated by male stupidity and self serving assumptions. It was a profound little speech. Episode 9 (?). The series is dark and bizarre, and nothing ever gets resolved but morphs on and on. It does have its moments.
Francine

Honolulu, HI

#177273 May 18, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well lessee. Ya live in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, yet ya feel the need to waste time taking cheap pot shots on a political thread of a former President you opposed.
With that in mind, I really don't hafta do much of ANYthing, loser. You're doin' it to yourself!(Heh heh),
Posting to you while "sitting on the throne" is a marvelous way of multi-tasking.

Yep, plop plop, splash, there goes another Little Bobby. Life is grand.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#177274 May 18, 2014
Francine wrote:
<quoted text>
Posting to you while "sitting on the throne" is a marvelous way of multi-tasking.
Yep, plop plop, splash, there goes another Little Bobby. Life is grand.
Potty mouth too! Whatta surprise.

Worthless troll!

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#177275 May 18, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I got a new 48" Sony (650 + tax around $700) and Netfiix. Stumbled across the information (Female Hysteria) in the series, American Horror Story from the first season. It was the maid who appears as an older women to most but has the potential to appear as a young temptress to men. It was depicted as men abusing women from the past. The female trust violated by male stupidity and self serving assumptions. It was a profound little speech. Episode 9 (?). The series is dark and bizarre, and nothing ever gets resolved but morphs on and on. It does have its moments.
I'd like to know what female hysteria, has to do with anthropocentric climate change, fella.

Some of us may be willing to let the chips continue to fall, for as long as it takes to get knocked in our own head - but there are things we can do to mitigate the effects of climate change, whether or not we take the "credit" for our contributions to it. If proposing that we collectively DO those things, equals "feminine hysteria", then quite frankly, I think we could benefit from a little feminine hysteria.

JMO

I watched Coven, and Freak Show looks to be excellent.

What does either of them do to further your point - or to indicate that you had one?
So says old blue balls

Honolulu, HI

#177276 May 18, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Potty mouth too! Whatta surprise.
Worthless troll!
I think you like getting spanked. Why else would you parade around on Topix as Big Bad Bob when you could be a loving grandfather.
You have a dark side and we will deal with it here and now.

Location hidden

#177277 May 18, 2014
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>I'd like to know what female hysteria, has to do with anthropocentric climate change, fella.
lisw got it here. Why didn't you?

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T2LK4SO...
Some of us may be willing to let the chips continue to fall, for as long as it takes to get knocked in our own head - but there are things we can do to mitigate the effects of climate change, whether or not we take the "credit" for our contributions to it.
The only thing clear in your above quote is things humans can do to mitigate effects on climate change. Perhaps we can eliminate automobiles and regulate coal production out of existence. Put millions out of work but in the long run, it won't make a difference. The environmental idiots who reap chaos in the lives of others will not be around to answer for their assumptions anymore than the Doctors who abused and mislead females are around to answer for theirs. They were groping in the dark and not much has changed. What exactly do you want to do and how are others going to be affected? What about China? They are not going to listen to you. It comes off as fear mongering. Not only to adults but children.
If proposing that we collectively DO those things, equals "feminine hysteria", then quite frankly, I think we could benefit from a little feminine hysteria.
We do collectively do things all the time. That is why a person in Denver can drive to the local marijuana outlet to get a legal product. You think you can benefit from feminine hysteria, whatever that is? That makes one of you.
JMO
I watched Coven, and Freak Show looks to be excellent.
What does either of them do to further your point - or to indicate that you had one?
Your question presupposes you are interested in understanding but all i am seeing is problems with comprehension. So there are problems on the receiving end. I for one do not have all the faith in the whole human caused global climate due to greenhouse gases and lets close down all the Coal mines and scare the hell out of children by filling their heads with Chicken Little nonsense.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#177278 May 18, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>With all due respect it was Truman's post WWII policy which began our involvement in Vietnam. Eisenhower sent monetary aid and training of south vietnam soldiers, Kennedy sent the first boots and Johnson let all hell break loose. We can't lay wars on anyone's shoulders. They develop over time and they were, when all is said and done, probably necessary.
We've had this discussion before. I pointed out then, that Ike sent in troops just before leaving office, saying,'Let's see how he (Kennedy) handles this.' A purely vindictive move on Ike's part.
I said what I said to Hip because he was trying to avoid the old argument, and I was simply giving him an assist.
But if you Really want to get technical about it, it was the french who started the war in 'Nam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 37 min Rosa_Winkel 56,061
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 55 min trifecta1 971,801
the REAL REASON Ron Goldman was stabbed...64 TI... (Aug '15) 1 hr RiccardoFire 21
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr RoSesz 650,329
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,962
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr ImFree2Choose 2,332
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 2 hr WaxBabydoll 423
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 7 hr Xcentric in Vidor 445,915
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 23 hr akon mason 70
More from around the web