“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#176625 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>It might be music is among our fundamental memories. Check out this video from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/18/150891711/for-e...
Thank you, as well.

:)

I briefly considered following the 'music therapy' educational track, in college. Still think it has a lot of merit, but chose to go another way.

Thanks again for the tunes!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#176626 Apr 5, 2014
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>This one?
http://thecrosspollinator.files.wordpress.com...
I'm sure your Ben Franklin joke will be met with chuckles, snickers, and guffaws. It even got one from me.
http://twoguysonemic.com/wp/wp-content/upload...
Funny - Posting this one was met with deep and vitriolic disapproval, with accusations of being a bitter old crybaby, with latent misogynist tendencies...
It's a funny world...
Funny is funny. Hyper-partisans will scream bloody murder no matter what. Example: substitute Hillarys image for Michelles in that photo and its not funny anymore to some. As a fan of the long gone National Lampoon I appreciate humor sometimes seen as out of bounds. One favorite of mine was a cartoon depicting the middle east peace talks. Jimmy Carter,Begin and Sadat were at a table and Carter was droning on and on, Begin turns to Sadat and pleads: Sadat,Sadat make this asshole shut up,to which a wild eyed Sadat replies "I'll sign anything".

Location hidden

#176627 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
Great stuff ya'lls, late in the night where we won't be botherin' nobody. Long ways from the days when the JBLs at this same time of night sure as heck did seem to bother the neighbors, hmm?
Here's a Boz Scaggs number, well back In the day before his Mr. Suave incarnation. You might have heard of his hired guitar picker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2NctZzfPFUAXX

No JBLS here until later on. My first apartment in the late 70s was furnished with Fisher speakers
only slightly smaller than the fridge.

Location hidden

#176628 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yep it still speaks to me. When I think about the ACA it seems to me that everybody is wrong because they're talking about the wrong thing. The bottom line is that as Lyndi says the pres is doing a happy dance over the 7million. It doesn't matter how they got that number what matters is that the original goal to insure the uninsured (40 million) has been lost. It take time you say? Well if they have to keep spending to nudge people to sign up time is tons of money.The money already spent could probably have insured them all.
Fat people haven't quite become a protected group. I doubt that if Chris Christie becomes president that they will call people fat bigots if they don't like him or if he loses weight that they'll say he's only half fat. But we'll see.
Fat people are on their way to pc protection. My daughter is 5-4 and 100lbs and people frequently feel free to suggest to her she is "too thin".Try suggesting to some one they are too fat and you will be buried in an avalanche of "body issue" complaints.
I belong to Planet (gag) Fitness because its $10 monthly but their entire business plan is based on "not being judgemental". In doing so they freely judge those they view as muscleheads as being undesirable and not welcome in their gyms.

Location hidden

#176629 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
Sometime's everybody's right too. I recall I was against the bailout of GM believing companies need to fail when they do a lousy job. But if GM had not been bailed out or at least absorbed by a better company would the recall have occurred and would more people get hurt or die?(I still don't understand how the ignition problem caused deaths but I guess I need to read more about it.)
I believe the issue was the key could shift from the on position to the acc position disabling the power steering and possibly brakes. I suspect the problem likely occurred when people had key rings adorned with doo dads that made them a bit heavy and when the weight shifted it was enough to shift the key from on to acc.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176630 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =n_IXw1UOQJ8XX
There ya go. It's a different kind of fun when folks share the more obscure stuff. I love new sounds, even if there old. This one ain't so obscure, but yours put me in mind of

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176631 Apr 5, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
Hard to pick a favorite Pink Floyd tune, but this ones at the top for me. Just love the guitar in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9lgOo8yEIPsXX
Another one not so much off the rack. Like you say, much to pick from but that is my favorite David Gilmour work right there.

Back in line with CAbob's request for guitar work, here's one off the beaten path from the mid-70's. A casualty of the Drug Wars, or I'm sure he'd be much more well known:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Kinda sad thru computer speakers. Imagine it thru 12" woofers if you can. If you hang for the whole song, notice the multiple time changes, which hints at some great work he went on to do with Jan Hammer and Buddy Miles in the jazz-rock genre.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#176632 Apr 5, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody's right if everybody's wrong ... was that written with the discussion of the ACA in mind?
:)
Warning - not 2014 PC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oa_HgMg76HAXX
(Still wanna get me that hat)
Hey Willie, I have one of those hats.Got it years ago for my husband and he wouldn't wear it because he said it made him look like a Russian.(he's a little prejudiced against Russians, okay a lot prejudiced, he's Slovak) I'll send it your way.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176633 Apr 5, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
No JBLS here until later on. My first apartment in the late 70s was furnished with Fisher speakers
only slightly smaller than the fridge.
My first were Electro-Phonics so you got the edge there. We'd just party at your place. It wasn't long after I got my first FT job (where I still work today), that I was able to find a second hand 85W Sansui amp/preamp and JBL100s. That was 35 years ago - Sansui is long gone, but still have the JBLs today (amazingly, nobody ever got stupid drunk enough to put their finger in the speaker cones).

My middle son is into music as much as I was (and still am), but most kids have no concept of the hi-fidelity we thought was so important. Once I mentioned the stereo separation in a particular song and he didn't even know what I was talking about. "Right/left what?" Quad would blow his mind....

Location hidden

#176634 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>My first were Electro-Phonics so you got the edge there. We'd just party at your place. It wasn't long after I got my first FT job (where I still work today), that I was able to find a second hand 85W Sansui amp/preamp and JBL100s. That was 35 years ago - Sansui is long gone, but still have the JBLs today (amazingly, nobody ever got stupid drunk enough to put their finger in the speaker cones).
My middle son is into music as much as I was (and still am), but most kids have no concept of the hi-fidelity we thought was so important. Once I mentioned the stereo separation in a particular song and he didn't even know what I was talking about. "Right/left what?" Quad would blow his mind....
What was that song that you'd play on the stereo and hear different drum beats from the different speakers.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#176635 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>What was that song that you'd play on the stereo and hear different drum beats from the different speakers.
Are you talking about In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ?

Long

Single https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#176636 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>My first were Electro-Phonics so you got the edge there. We'd just party at your place. It wasn't long after I got my first FT job (where I still work today), that I was able to find a second hand 85W Sansui amp/preamp and JBL100s. That was 35 years ago - Sansui is long gone, but still have the JBLs today (amazingly, nobody ever got stupid drunk enough to put their finger in the speaker cones).
I had a Sansui something I just don't remember what it was. I still have 2 Technics turntables. I have a bunch of stuff packed away.I worked for JVC when they first came to US.The plant was in Queens,NY.I still have quad headphones from that job.
As you can tell from my name southern rock is my music of choice Skynyrd,Allman Brothers,Molly Hatchet,ZZ Top but back in the day i listened to my share of Zep. I knew the guys from a band named Zebra and actually shared a mic with Dee Snider onstage singing Sweet Jane when Twisted was still a cover band.Yes a storied history for sure.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176637 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>What was that song that you'd play on the stereo and hear different drum beats from the different speakers.
Hmm, from that >excellent< description we surely can nail it right down (open smile here)

Frankenstein, maybe? You should hear that one in quadrophonic sound. Wow.

A lot of bands used the stereo to a greater degree than others. The Beatles used it heavily, as did most prog rock bands. Black Sabbath has a tune that opens with a person coughing and it progresses from extreme left across to right - trippy! What was even trippier is that it arrived in a Rod McKuen (easy-listening) sleeve that Mom ordered from Columbia House. Surely Ol' Scratch arranged that switch to invade the home and pollute her children's minds.

Well, it worked ;)

I'm sorry here when we can't see body cues cos I mean this very light-hearted - your question reminds me of the time my wife said,'What was the name of that movie, with those two guys, you know, those two funny guys? And they do all that crazy stuff? What was that?"

Location hidden

#176638 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm, from that >excellent< description we surely can nail it right down (open smile here)
Frankenstein, maybe? You should hear that one in quadrophonic sound. Wow.
A lot of bands used the stereo to a greater degree than others. The Beatles used it heavily, as did most prog rock bands. Black Sabbath has a tune that opens with a person coughing and it progresses from extreme left across to right - trippy! What was even trippier is that it arrived in a Rod McKuen (easy-listening) sleeve that Mom ordered from Columbia House. Surely Ol' Scratch arranged that switch to invade the home and pollute her children's minds.
Well, it worked ;)
I'm sorry here when we can't see body cues cos I mean this very light-hearted - your question reminds me of the time my wife said,'What was the name of that movie, with those two guys, you know, those two funny guys? And they do all that crazy stuff? What was that?"
Who was it/ Abbott and Costello? Laurel and Hardy? Martin and Lewis? Cheech and Chong? Beevis and Butthead?
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176639 Apr 5, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> I had a Sansui something I just don't remember what it was. I still have 2 Technics turntables. I have a bunch of stuff packed away.I worked for JVC when they first came to US.The plant was in Queens,NY.I still have quad headphones from that job.
As you can tell from my name southern rock is my music of choice Skynyrd,Allman Brothers,Molly Hatchet,ZZ Top but back in the day i listened to my share of Zep. I knew the guys from a band named Zebra and actually shared a mic with Dee Snider onstage singing Sweet Jane when Twisted was still a cover band.Yes a storied history for sure.
I love this Florida boy's attitude about life in general:

HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176641 Apr 5, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ?
Long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =COMc3K-97z4XX
There you go, wonder if that's it.

Hate to rock the hammock if this is anyone's fav, but that song, for me, is the poster child for wretched excess in rock music. "Let's crank it up to 11, and use heavy, like super-heavy chords, and make it long, really really long, with an extended drum solo to boot."
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176642 Apr 5, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was it/ Abbott and Costello? Laurel and Hardy? Martin and Lewis? Cheech and Chong? Beevis and Butthead?
Shoot, I don't remember. It wasn't even a team - something like Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#176643 Apr 5, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Hey you're supposed to listen to the same song over and over. I played the song "Mecca" over and over until someone broke it.(it was a 45rpm)
Here's one from a 78 we had that Mom says I played so much she wanted to break it.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#176644 Apr 5, 2014
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>There you go, wonder if that's it.
Hate to rock the hammock if this is anyone's fav, but that song, for me, is the poster child for wretched excess in rock music. "Let's crank it up to 11, and use heavy, like super-heavy chords, and make it long, really really long, with an extended drum solo to boot."
Of course it is. I think that might have been the point.

I mean, it was recorded in '68, and a lot of the psychedelic stuff was wretched excess incarnate.

Location hidden

#176645 Apr 5, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ?
Long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =COMc3K-97z4XX
No that's not it. It'll come to me but it may be years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 589,361
REAL Contemporary Instrumental Music!! 5 min pusherman_ 31
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 24 min Liam 424
Who will be in the NBA Finals?? 27 min Doctor REALITY 4
E-commerce boom 27 min stephenbrown1 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min It aint necessari... 837,041
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 46 min Naveen kumar 1,428
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Vinamese 4,083
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 271,264
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 hr The swamiji 7,155
More from around the web