Bush is a hero
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#174834 Feb 6, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher aint gonna like that..........
:)

I wonder what prompted the speech. Maybe it was a political move. Maybe being upstaged by Ben Carson last year at the same function, prompted it. Maybe he just wants to believe it. Or, maybe after 5 years as POTUS, he needs to believe it. I can't speculate on that but Obama does reference Lincoln quite often and I recall after Mandela died, he was quoted as saying, " He no longer belongs to us. Now he belongs to the ages", which is almost word for word what Edward Stanton was quoted at saying, upon hearing the news of Lincolns death.

A great quote from Lincoln:

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174835 Feb 6, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you're feeling better, Chris. Thought you might find this....... interesting?
Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast (This morning)
Washington Hilton
Washington, D.C.
(Edited due to length)
Every year, in the midst of all our busy and noisy lives, we set aside one morning to gather as one community, united in prayer.
We do so because we’re a nation ever humbled by our history, and we’re ever attentive to our imperfections -- particularly the imperfections of our President. We come together because we're a people of faith. We know that faith is something that must be cultivated. Faith is not a possession. Faith is a process.
As Christians, we place our faith in the nail-scarred hands of Jesus Christ. But so many other Americans also know the close embrace of faith -- Muslims and Jews, Hindus and Sikhs. And all Americans -- whether religious or secular -- have a deep and abiding faith in this nation.
======
======
We know that in Scripture, Dr. King found strength; in the Bible, he found conviction. We know Lincoln had such moments as well. To see this country torn apart, to see his fellow citizens waging a ferocious war that pitted brother against brother, family against family -- that was as heavy a burden as any President will ever have to bear.
We know Lincoln constantly met with troops and visited the wounded and honored the dead. And the toll mounted day after day, week after week. And you can see in the lines of his face the toll that the war cost him. But he did not break. Even as he buried a beloved son, he did not break. Even as he struggled to overcome melancholy, despair, grief, he did not break. And that, I think, allowed him to become a better leader. It’s what allowed him in what may be one of the greatest speeches ever written, in his second Inaugural, to describe the Union and the Confederate soldier alike -- both reading the same Bible, both prayed to the same God.
In Lincoln’s eyes, the power of faith was humbling, allowing us to embrace our limits in knowing God’s will. And as a consequence, he was able to see God in those who vehemently opposed him.
=====
=====
As President, sometimes I have to search for the words to console the inconsolable. Sometimes I search Scripture to determine how best to balance life as a President and as a husband and as a father. I often search for Scripture to figure out how I can be a better man as well as a better President.
And most of all, I know that all Americans -- men and women of different faiths and, yes, those of no faith that they can name -- are, nevertheless, joined together in common purpose, believing in something that is bigger than ourselves, and the ideals that lie at the heart of our nation’s founding -- that as a people we are bound together.
And so this morning, let us summon the common resolve that comes from our faith. Let us pray to God that we may be worthy of the many blessings He has bestowed upon our nation. Let us retain that humility not just during this hour but for every hour. And let me suggest that those of us with the most power and influence need to be the most humble. And let us promise Him and to each other, every day as the sun rises over America that it will rise over a people who are striving to make this a more perfect union.
Thank you. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America
Full transcript @
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...
Indeed. We have a prayer meeting (small) each week before service. One lady that hasn't been here now for about a month is a black lady well into her 80s or early 90s. Its hard to put into words how grateful we feel to be a part of it when she shares her life with us. While I could not disagree more where President Obama is on most issues I'm at peace because all authority is of God.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174836 Feb 6, 2014
Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) dismissed a Tea Party leader’s concerns over supposedly being targeted by the Internal Revenue Service, prompting Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) to swoop in with a revealing set of questions.
The incident occurred Thursday during a hearing of the House Oversight And Government Reform Committee on the IRS’ alleged targeting of conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status. Testifying before the committee was Catherine Engelbrecht, founder of the King Street Patriots.
During her opening testimony, Engelbrecht recounted the close scrutiny her family and her small business underwent from multiple federal agencies soon after she applied for her group’s tax-exempt status, suggesting that the reviews may have been politically motivated.
“After nearly 20 years of being in business,” Engelbrecht, said during the hearing,“and no agency coming to visit with us, the succession of agencies that have now come to us — for all manner of things — begs the question.”
“The statistical probabilities of what happened to me happening, without political motivation is staggering,” she added.

more:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/06/co...
Lost In Transition

New York, NY

#174837 Feb 7, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you're feeling better, Chris. Thought you might find this....... interesting?
Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast (This morning)
Washington Hilton
Washington, D.C.
(Edited due to length)
Every year, in the midst of all our busy and noisy lives, we set aside one morning to gather as one community, united in prayer.
We do so because we’re a nation ever humbled by our history, and we’re ever attentive to our imperfections -- particularly the imperfections of our President. We come together because we're a people of faith. We know that faith is something that must be cultivated. Faith is not a possession. Faith is a process.
As Christians, we place our faith in the nail-scarred hands of Jesus Christ. But so many other Americans also know the close embrace of faith -- Muslims and Jews, Hindus and Sikhs. And all Americans -- whether religious or secular -- have a deep and abiding faith in this nation.
======
======
We know that in Scripture, Dr. King found strength; in the Bible, he found conviction. We know Lincoln had such moments as well. To see this country torn apart, to see his fellow citizens waging a ferocious war that pitted brother against brother, family against family -- that was as heavy a burden as any President will ever have to bear.
We know Lincoln constantly met with troops and visited the wounded and honored the dead. And the toll mounted day after day, week after week. And you can see in the lines of his face the toll that the war cost him. But he did not break. Even as he buried a beloved son, he did not break. Even as he struggled to overcome melancholy, despair, grief, he did not break. And that, I think, allowed him to become a better leader. It’s what allowed him in what may be one of the greatest speeches ever written, in his second Inaugural, to describe the Union and the Confederate soldier alike -- both reading the same Bible, both prayed to the same God.
In Lincoln’s eyes, the power of faith was humbling, allowing us to embrace our limits in knowing God’s will. And as a consequence, he was able to see God in those who vehemently opposed him.
=====
=====
As President, sometimes I have to search for the words to console the inconsolable. Sometimes I search Scripture to determine how best to balance life as a President and as a husband and as a father. I often search for Scripture to figure out how I can be a better man as well as a better President.
And most of all, I know that all Americans -- men and women of different faiths and, yes, those of no faith that they can name -- are, nevertheless, joined together in common purpose, believing in something that is bigger than ourselves, and the ideals that lie at the heart of our nation’s founding -- that as a people we are bound together.
And so this morning, let us summon the common resolve that comes from our faith. Let us pray to God that we may be worthy of the many blessings He has bestowed upon our nation. Let us retain that humility not just during this hour but for every hour. And let me suggest that those of us with the most power and influence need to be the most humble. And let us promise Him and to each other, every day as the sun rises over America that it will rise over a people who are striving to make this a more perfect union.
Thank you. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America
Full transcript @
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...
I wonder if he was clinging to his gun when he threw that Hail Mary.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#174838 Feb 7, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
Health Care Law May Result in 2 Million Fewer Full-Time Workers
New York Times
0/04/2014
WASHINGTON — A new analysis from the Congressional Budget Office says that the Affordable Care Act will result in more than 2 million fewer full-time workers in the next several years, providing Republican opponents of the law a powerful political weapon leading up to this year’s midterm elections.
The law is also expected to have a significant effect on hours worked, the nonpartisan budget office said in a regular update to its budget projections released Tuesday. With the expansion of insurance coverage, more workers will choose not to work and others will choose to work fewer hours than they might have otherwise, it said. The decline in hours worked will translate into a loss of the equivalent of 2.5 million full-time positions by 2024, the budget office said.
The budget office analysis found that much of the law’s effect comes from reducing the need for people to take a full-time job just to get insurance coverage, and from the premium subsidies effectively bolstering household income.
But it will also have an effect on businesses, the report said, including by encouraging them to reduce employee hours to avoid the so-called “employer mandate.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/us/politics...
====
Yeah, Republicans initially tried their damndest to spin something god-awful about that report, aided by the so-called "mainstream media" who also initially fell for the headline sensation angle rather than actually analyzing what it means. Shoot, Hannity replaced "workers" with "jobs". Whoops! Simple mistake, I'm sure.

But the flimsy strawman has blown away that all have taken time to consider what this actually means - now that people don't have to take full-time/overtime, approx. 2 or so million are estimated to take advantage of....what? Spending more time with their families? Boy, the Republicans just can't decide - is the healthy core family vital to society, or not? I suppose it depends on what political hay needs to be laid by.

So, IF fewer workers choose to work full-time/overtime, and IF the employer deemed it necessary to have someone work those hours, the result will be a net increase in hiring, ie jobs.

Ruh Roh. That story didn't turn out quite like the knee-jerks thought it would.......

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174839 Feb 7, 2014
HippoHog wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, Republicans initially tried their damndest to spin something god-awful about that report, aided by the so-called "mainstream media" who also initially fell for the headline sensation angle rather than actually analyzing what it means. Shoot, Hannity replaced "workers" with "jobs". Whoops! Simple mistake, I'm sure.
But the flimsy strawman has blown away that all have taken time to consider what this actually means - now that people don't have to take full-time/overtime, approx. 2 or so million are estimated to take advantage of....what? Spending more time with their families? Boy, the Republicans just can't decide - is the healthy core family vital to society, or not? I suppose it depends on what political hay needs to be laid by.
So, IF fewer workers choose to work full-time/overtime, and IF the employer deemed it necessary to have someone work those hours, the result will be a net increase in hiring, ie jobs.
Ruh Roh. That story didn't turn out quite like the knee-jerks thought it would.......
Nice spin, part time doesn't pay the bills, leftist turd. <¦-o
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#174840 Feb 8, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, Republicans initially tried their damndest to spin something god-awful about that report, aided by the so-called "mainstream media" who also initially fell for the headline sensation angle rather than actually analyzing what it means. Shoot, Hannity replaced "workers" with "jobs". Whoops! Simple mistake, I'm sure.
Blessed are the progressive liberals who try to guilt me and spin me into giving them more money so other people can stay home, sit on their a$$ and reap what I sow.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174842 Feb 8, 2014
USA_1 wrote:
<quoted text>Nice spin, part time doesn't pay the bills, leftist turd. <¦-o
Heck I'm back at full time and we grossed a bit less. They want it both ways and while it may look good on paper this weeks tweets from games in Sochi say it all. Never mind this is the most expensive games in history, 50 billion just doesn't go so far. Got a good laugh with the opening games and some of the imagery. Another laugh when things didn't work out and state run tv just faked it in Russia. And for Nbc that just described the hell of the past in Russia as a "pivotal experiment" may they answer for each time they call evil good.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174843 Feb 8, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Blessed are the progressive liberals who try to guilt me and spin me into giving them more money so other people can stay home, sit on their a$$ and reap what I sow.
Blessed isn't the right word. Damned is better. Its legal theft for the able bodied ones like my neighbor that worships the dear leader and is stoned most days while he could work.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#174844 Feb 8, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Blessed isn't the right word. Damned is better. Its legal theft for the able bodied ones like my neighbor that worships the dear leader and is stoned most days while he could work.
Woe is you.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#174845 Feb 8, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
My use of "blessed" when referring to progressive liberals, was about as sincere as your use of "dear leader" when referring to Obama. I'm pretty confident the poster to whom I was responding, heard the sarcasm.

Oh and your neighbor isn't committing "legal theft," Chris. He's simply a nonproductive recipient of government imposed mandatory charity programs.

Haaaaa
Haaaaaaa

I like that one. Mandatory charity.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174846 Feb 8, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
My use of "blessed" when referring to progressive liberals, was about as sincere as your use of "dear leader" when referring to Obama. I'm pretty confident the poster to whom I was responding, heard the sarcasm.
Oh and your neighbor isn't committing "legal theft," Chris. He's simply a nonproductive recipient of government imposed mandatory charity programs.
Haaaaa
Haaaaaaa
I like that one. Mandatory charity.
True. No doubt that's why after being involved in multiple charities (one for almost 10 years) right now we are helping none.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174847 Feb 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woe is you.
Worthless TROLL is YOU!

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174848 Feb 9, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck I'm back at full time and we grossed a bit less. They want it both ways and while it may look good on paper this weeks tweets from games in Sochi say it all. Never mind this is the most expensive games in history, 50 billion just doesn't go so far. Got a good laugh with the opening games and some of the imagery. Another laugh when things didn't work out and state run tv just faked it in Russia. And for Nbc that just described the hell of the past in Russia as a "pivotal experiment" may they answer for each time they call evil good.
NBC should get Chris Matthews Keith Olbermann and Bob Costas together to co-host a show called The 3 Stooges. They could have guests like Joe Scarborough and Chris Krispy Kreme Christie, to provide a weak rino counterpoint and ultimately concede, that communism is the way to go and what difference did Benghazi make (all hail Hilary). Then they could all share a tingle up the leg and bow down to our dictator and chief Barry O.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174849 Feb 9, 2014
Question time. What world leader said this?
"We're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends."

Safety Harbor, FL

#174850 Feb 9, 2014
USA_1 wrote:
<quoted text>NBC should get Chris Matthews Keith Olbermann and Bob Costas together to co-host a show called The 3 Stooges. They could have guests like Joe Scarborough and Chris Krispy Kreme Christie, to provide a weak rino counterpoint and ultimately concede, that communism is the way to go and what difference did Benghazi make (all hail Hilary). Then they could all share a tingle up the leg and bow down to our dictator and chief Barry O.
Funny thing I grew up with Tom Brokaw telling us the days events each night. It wasn't until some random night when I saw it, ol Tom apologizing for nbc getting some things wrong. And it happened again. And again. And again. This was long before msnbc. Imo we aren't too far from what just happened in Sochi where an error happened during the opening games and many never saw it as it cut to a rehearsal tape where the error never happened. In another forum an outspoken bigot just again shared his hopes that we end the first amendment saying this "the indoctrination of a minor child into a hate cult, needs be sanctioned by Law" The poster that said this is unimportant but what is important is many would agree.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#174851 Feb 9, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Question time. What world leader said this?
"We're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends."
Copycat.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174852 Feb 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Copycat.
Typical 6 year-old spoiled brat. You think yer the 1st one to pose questions like that
in here! Oh that's right, yer NOT thinking, worthless TROLL!

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#174853 Feb 9, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical 6 year-old spoiled brat. You think yer the 1st one to pose questions like that
in here! Oh that's right, yer NOT thinking, worthless TROLL!
Clearwater knows what I'm talking about.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#174854 Feb 9, 2014
I wish they had a "boring" judgicon. I just might use them then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Michael 693,166
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min positronium 51,594
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 53 min whatgod 619,865
How many MILLIONS of MEXICAN MEN R N in U.S. IL... 1 hr Holy Pipek 7
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr ChristineM 445,958
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr whatgod 991,855
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 3 hr __The Clown Master__ 2,468
More from around the web