Bush is a hero
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#174763 Feb 1, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Yes or no question - can a dictatorship implement policies more quickly than a democracy?
If the answer is yes, then what you have is a statement of fact - and a rather meaningless one at that.
It think it's hilarious you're quoting Menken, because the hobgoblins under discussion here is the specter of communism, all over some remarks made by a Costa Rican-born diplomat/UN apparatchik.
Oh, wait. It's the UN. Hmmmm ...
"It's like déjà vu all over again."
Yogi Berra

You have a propensity for trying to halt discussions at their most ridiculous points.

Yes, dictatorships can implement policies faster, WHICH begs a new question. If you don't know what that question is, you're less inquisitive than I thought.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#174764 Feb 1, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
MSNBC is tanking, so is the current administration and they're reacting to both those facts with shock talk and misplaced anger. They've got nothing else. Obama has become a major detriment to democrats trying to hang on to their seats in Congress in November. He's gone from being the Wonder Boy to Typhoid Mary and it's making them nasty. It's a pattern. Last month it was making a joke about Mitt Romney's new black grandchild. Before that it was Bashir's vulgar attack on Palin. Chris Matthews, he'll say anything. It's one big sty over there.
You are correct. Obama's latest poll numbers show him at only 37% for helping the economy. Followed by that same poll listing the GOP at 19%. Followed by a Tea Party approval rate of 8%.
Obama still doubles the Rupubs in polling on every issue questioned.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174765 Feb 1, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the price jumps at the grocery store? Its about $5 for a friggin pound of burger here now.
We have. When I was first let go a few things like steak perhaps once a month went by the wayside. Now back to regular hours and steady pay its about 120.00 less a week than before, we notice not only food inflation but how packages have been downsized as well. A few years ago I didn't use coupons much now we rely on them. Last night my grocery bill was about 65.00 with about 30.00 in coupons and buy one get one deals a local store has.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174766 Feb 1, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
MSNBC is tanking, so is the current administration and they're reacting to both those facts with shock talk and misplaced anger. They've got nothing else. Obama has become a major detriment to democrats trying to hang on to their seats in Congress in November. He's gone from being the Wonder Boy to Typhoid Mary and it's making them nasty. It's a pattern. Last month it was making a joke about Mitt Romney's new black grandchild. Before that it was Bashir's vulgar attack on Palin. Chris Matthews, he'll say anything. It's one big sty over there.
I see it as a snapshot of the day. Go visit any forum on topix or elsewhere where religion is a focus and most that speak tolerance offer none to any pov but the ones they hold to. At least this time the person in question was quickly fired but I laughed when msnbc said those views don't reflect them. It seems most of the time it reflects them very much. Funny thing is right now they are beating cnn in ratings. Lets see where they are in 5 to 10 years. My guess is gone.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174767 Feb 1, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a pretty interesting film, made in response to Gore's "Inconvenient Truth". Only this one actually has scientists in it rather than.....well......Al Gore.
We're actually supposed to make a run at 70 today and tomorrow. Been pretty nippy down here. I've been talking to some of the locals, they're hoping these glaciers will start to melt.
Indeed it was wet and cold. It didn't feel like Clearwater with rain and highs in the low 40s. Damn truck got stuck in the mud too and some cool Jamaican Christians helped me get out! But its a new day and looking for 80 today.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174768 Feb 1, 2014
lisw wrote:
I admit I did not listen to the whole state of the union speech. I lasted about 20 minutes, so I missed the MyRA part. Haven't heard lots of comments on it. But I have to ask "What is he thinking?" Most don't have the extra money to invest in their future and those who do know there are lots better deals out there than a 2% return which doesn't even match inflation.
Didn't watch the liar speak but did hear about this. Am I correct in understanding the plan is to give the government control over pensions?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#174769 Feb 1, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a propensity for trying to halt discussions at their most ridiculous points.
Yes, dictatorships can implement policies faster, WHICH begs a new question. If you don't know what that question is, you're less inquisitive than I thought.
Between Idiot 2.0 accusing me of having a commie agenda, and that pathetic piece of propaganda you posted, I don't see how the discussion COULD have gotten any more ridiculous.

I think it's far more probable that the UN whatever-her-title-was was speaking diplomat-speak to encourage the Chinese to keep up the work they've been doing. Yes, I understand it's something you don't agree with, but still ...

The best example of that I can think of off the top of my head is when GWHB was VP he went to the Philippines and praised Marcos for his adherence to democratic principles, when in fact the Marcos regime was one of the most repressive on the planet. That was done to keep him talking (and protect the base rights agreements), not because he really did adhere to democratic principles in any way.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174770 Feb 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
After all the demeaning, you give little old me credit for the President's actions?
Had we not expressed disdain over you enablers in here on several occasions, you may've had a semi-valid point. Now, you're stretched out over the abyss on a highwire, and no net.

You were better off mute.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174771 Feb 1, 2014
Injudgement wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct. Obama's latest poll numbers show him at only 37% for helping the economy. Followed by that same poll listing the GOP at 19%. Followed by a Tea Party approval rate of 8%.
Obama still doubles the Rupubs in polling on every issue questioned.
Not that the liberal lame-stream media has anything to do with those numbers.

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#174772 Feb 1, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
WWII vs. Now.
During the 3 1/2 years of World War II that started with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and ended with the surrender of Germany and Japan in 1945, the U.S. produced 22 aircraft carriers, 8 battleships, 48 cruisers, 349 destroyers, 420 destroyer escorts, 203 submarines, 34 million tons of merchant ships, 100,000 fighter aircraft, 98,000 bombers, 24,000 transport aircraft, 58,000 training aircraft, 93,000 tanks, 257,000 artillery pieces, 105,000 mortars, 3,000,000 machine guns, and 2,500,000 military trucks.
We put 16.1 million men in uniform in the various armed services, invaded Africa, invaded Sicily and Italy, won the battle for the Atlantic, planned and executed D-Day, marched across the Pacific and Europe, developed the atomic bomb and ultimately conquered Japan and Germany.
It's worth noting, that during almost the same amount of time, the Obama administration couldn't build a functioning web site.
Hello Lyndi,

Not to detract from your statement, just got me thinking...

Empire State Building - less than a year and a half; Freedom Tower.......

And where are those moon bases and under sea cities I saw ,that was to be in our future(now), at the '64 New York Worlds Fair?

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#174773 Feb 1, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Between Idiot 2.0 accusing me of having a commie agenda, and that pathetic piece of propaganda you posted, I don't see how the discussion COULD have gotten any more ridiculous.
I think it's far more probable that the UN whatever-her-title-was was speaking diplomat-speak to encourage the Chinese to keep up the work they've been doing. Yes, I understand it's something you don't agree with, but still ...
The best example of that I can think of off the top of my head is when GWHB was VP he went to the Philippines and praised Marcos for his adherence to democratic principles, when in fact the Marcos regime was one of the most repressive on the planet. That was done to keep him talking (and protect the base rights agreements), not because he really did adhere to democratic principles in any way.
Hello Willie, pleasure,

Marcos' Philippines more repressive than North Korea under Kim IL Sung? I have a little "inside scoop" many Filipinos loved Marcos, despite the much publicized "People's Power" movement under Aquino.

As for the politics , yeah, the "Smilely Face" was used to stay in bases.

You take care...

Just a passin' through...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#174774 Feb 1, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
MSNBC is tanking, so is the current administration and they're reacting to both those facts with shock talk and misplaced anger. They've got nothing else. Obama has become a major detriment to democrats trying to hang on to their seats in Congress in November. He's gone from being the Wonder Boy to Typhoid Mary and it's making them nasty. It's a pattern. Last month it was making a joke about Mitt Romney's new black grandchild. Before that it was Bashir's vulgar attack on Palin. Chris Matthews, he'll say anything. It's one big sty over there.
Careful with your starry-eyed predictions.

Remember your track record.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174775 Feb 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful with your starry-eyed predictions.
Remember your track record.
Worthless freakin' TROLL!
Lost In Transition

United States

#174776 Feb 2, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it was wet and cold. It didn't feel like Clearwater with rain and highs in the low 40s. Damn truck got stuck in the mud too and some cool Jamaican Christians helped me get out! But its a new day and looking for 80 today.
Hey, Chris.
We spent a week between 13 and 35. Had 3 days of sleet, my poor heat-pump turned into a giant block of ice. For the first time since I've lived here, I heard an advertisement to "get rid of that heat-pump and move up to a forced-air furnace." I just lit up the wood burning stove. Hit 65 yesterday, the dog was laying around with his tongue hanging out like it was the middle of July.
Lost In Transition

United States

#174777 Feb 2, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't watch the liar speak but did hear about this. Am I correct in understanding the plan is to give the government control over pensions?
I don't think it's a control thing, as much as it is a potential revenue stream. They get a big chunk of hard currency from peoples paychecks, on a regular basis, and replace it with 20-30 year IOU's. A dream come true for big government.

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174778 Feb 2, 2014
Catch all1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful with your starry-eyed predictions.
Remember your track record.
The only one who's 'starry-eyed' around here besides LittleWillie, is you when you're prowling the public restrooms at the mall, creep. <¦-o

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#174779 Feb 2, 2014
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Chris.
We spent a week between 13 and 35. Had 3 days of sleet, my poor heat-pump turned into a giant block of ice. For the first time since I've lived here, I heard an advertisement to "get rid of that heat-pump and move up to a forced-air furnace." I just lit up the wood burning stove. Hit 65 yesterday, the dog was laying around with his tongue hanging out like it was the middle of July.
Hi LIT,

You're blest, I spent one between - 10 and 20 :)

I've heated the last 10 yrs. with corn and pellets(well, now just pellets as corn prices per bushel too high).

Florida sounding better...
Lost In Transition

United States

#174780 Feb 2, 2014
Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi LIT,
You're blest, I spent one between - 10 and 20 :)
I've heated the last 10 yrs. with corn and pellets(well, now just pellets as corn prices per bushel too high).
Florida sounding better...
Hey, J.
Yah, how quickly we forget. Or grow old and sissyfied. Lived in Indiana and Kansas, enjoyed them both. Never burned corn cobs, just feed this guy oak. Looks like I'll have to drop a tree this summer, one of my boys has about wiped out my stash.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#174781 Feb 2, 2014
Question about the Superbowl halftime ... did Bruno Mars borrow the jackets from DesiLu Productions, or from the Temptations?

;)

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174782 Feb 2, 2014
LittleWillie wrote:
Question about the Superbowl halftime ... did Bruno Mars borrow the jackets from DesiLu Productions, or from the Temptations?
;)
Lucille Ball had a soft spot in her heart for socialism, funny you should bring up her company, comrade. As far as Bruno Mars goes, I thought that was Ricky Martin, at least now I know better. <¦-o

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Aerobatty 118,806
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 14 min Drumpf Disaster 2,293
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 22 min Catholic Buster 678,795
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 1 hr worthless crap 33,214
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr worthless crap 46,210
News Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'great... 1 hr AWOL EYES 5
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 13 hr Peter Ross 6,258
More from around the web