Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#174732 Jan 31, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I think I stated the coffee science the way I did for brevity. Of course it's about many things, that's why "in moderation" almost always works My point is that science is more of an art. Most doctors admit that medicine is an art, depending on so many individual factors that they know they cannot heal without considering each person as an individual with a different history. But the science of global warming has not been treated that way. They want a result so badly that fits their political agenda that they may end up doing more harm than good.
(Note: do you see how I am not taking dumbed down and high school personally?)
Neither was meant to be personal, so it's a good thing you didn't take them that way. High school was where I learned the difference between glaciers and regular ice on lakes, rivers, MY BLOODY FRIGGIN' DRIVEWAY, etc. Dumbed down is just the way the media is - I think they aim at what, a 6th grade reading level or something?

As to the rest ... I'm not so sure I'd call science an art, but I see where you're going, We probably agree as much as we disagree on that one, because while science is objective, what you do with the objective information is itself subjective.

As far the agenda behind solutions to global warming ... there's more than one. For every bot lip-synching Al Gore's Academy Award/Nobel Prize winning power point presentation, there's folks dancing to the tune of business and industries who have a vested interest in maintaining their profit margins.

Makes it hard to have an intelligent discussion, imo.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#174733 Jan 31, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Neither was meant to be personal, so it's a good thing you didn't take them that way. High school was where I learned the difference between glaciers and regular ice on lakes, rivers, MY BLOODY FRIGGIN' DRIVEWAY, etc. Dumbed down is just the way the media is - I think they aim at what, a 6th grade reading level or something?
As to the rest ... I'm not so sure I'd call science an art, but I see where you're going, We probably agree as much as we disagree on that one, because while science is objective, what you do with the objective information is itself subjective.
As far the agenda behind solutions to global warming ... there's more than one. For every bot lip-synching Al Gore's Academy Award/Nobel Prize winning power point presentation, there's folks dancing to the tune of business and industries who have a vested interest in maintaining their profit margins.
Makes it hard to have an intelligent discussion, imo.
I have my beliefs about global warming, stated them often, no need to repeat. But it doesn't mean I'm interested in the profit margins of oil companies. There's a whole slew of reasons why people either buy into or discard global warming especially the idea we can do anything about it.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#174734 Jan 31, 2014
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I have my beliefs about global warming, stated them often, no need to repeat. But it doesn't mean I'm interested in the profit margins of oil companies. There's a whole slew of reasons why people either buy into or discard global warming especially the idea we can do anything about it.
If humans contribute to global warming, humans can do something about it. If not, well, all we can do is prepare as best as possible for the effects.

I've seen no definitive proof that humanity does contribute, but the arguments I've seen put forth that humanity isn't contributing to it are far less persuasive to me.

I'm sure you aren't concerned with oil company profits when you state your opinion on global warming, just as I'm sure that a lot of the people who argue their is an exaggerated impending crisis looming aren't interested in returning us to some preindustrial state. That said, some of the information presented as fact by people on both sides come from sources with those agendas.

Are you itching to take offense at something I say?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#174735 Jan 31, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you repeat yourself because you have dementia or do you think if you keep telling me about your glacier gazing in Patagonia a couple more times I'll suddenly find it relevant?
I've just been skiing for three weeks in the area known as it's none of your business and there was no snow shortage. I'll be skiing again in February where there have already been normal seasonal snowfalls. I enjoyed a white Christmas. People in Atlanta, Georgia this week were spotted x-country skiing down the freeways. Since those little tidbits will have no influence on your current position regarding man made climate change, kindly assume that your little vacation, a couple afternoons pleasure kayaking and some chit chat with locals will not influence mine.
And if it's" truly an major environmental problem," maybe you should do your part and quit flying. And driving.
Just thinking here on this weeks ice storm as the blame game goes round and round. As an armature weather watcher the people that are responsible for putting out the advisories and warnings did it right. Its too bad few bothered to listen but can anyone blame them? We now live in a time due largely to the politics of this where we name winter storms. Any small thunderstorm in the middle of the Atlantic in summer might be a cat 5 hurricane (or not) And any time a record temp is set its now called news. Yea, the experts did everything right on this ice storm but for perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#174736 Jan 31, 2014
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you repeat yourself because you have dementia or do you think if you keep telling me about your glacier gazing in Patagonia a couple more times I'll suddenly find it relevant?
I've just been skiing for three weeks in the area known as it's none of your business and there was no snow shortage. I'll be skiing again in February where there have already been normal seasonal snowfalls. I enjoyed a white Christmas. People in Atlanta, Georgia this week were spotted x-country skiing down the freeways. Since those little tidbits will have no influence on your current position regarding man made climate change, kindly assume that your little vacation, a couple afternoons pleasure kayaking and some chit chat with locals will not influence mine.
And if it's" truly an major environmental problem," maybe you should do your part and quit flying. And driving.
Wow.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174737 Jan 31, 2014
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been chosen by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to be the U.N. special envoy for cities and climate change.

That's good! We can all rest easy now. Big gulps anyone? Do as they preach, not as they do.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174738 Jan 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
So you won't get rid of the BMW? Wild guess here it doesn't meet CAFE?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#174739 Jan 31, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Just thinking here on this weeks ice storm as the blame game goes round and round. As an armature weather watcher the people that are responsible for putting out the advisories and warnings did it right. Its too bad few bothered to listen but can anyone blame them? We now live in a time due largely to the politics of this where we name winter storms. Any small thunderstorm in the middle of the Atlantic in summer might be a cat 5 hurricane (or not) And any time a record temp is set its now called news. Yea, the experts did everything right on this ice storm but for perhaps for the wrong reasons.
Uhhhh ... well ... gee.

Naming winter storms and hyping every thunderstorm in the middle of the Atlantic isn't about politics, Chris - it's about making money, specifically ratings (which translates into advertising dollars) for the Weather Channel.

Are you opposed to profit and private enterprise or something?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no super secret hidden agenda or anything political about naming winter storms.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#174740 Jan 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
My favorite line was where she went skiing in an area known as "it's none of your business".

It's no surprise you're speechless, and it's good that not all (alleged) lawyers are as dumb as you. Lyndi plays you like an out-of-tune banjo everytime, yet you keep eatin' the erasers.
Now THAT'S what I'd call being used. Do you feel "dirty"?

Be a good troll and stop flashin' yer social caste, passport, education, tax bracket, and all the other perks that make you better than everyone else in here. No one likes a showoff braggart, especially one that has enabled a POTUS to take the US helm and turn it into
a remake of the Titanic.

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174741 Jan 31, 2014
WeeLittleWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Uhhhh ... well ... gee.
Naming winter storms and hyping every thunderstorm in the middle of the Atlantic isn't about politics, Chris - it's about making money, specifically ratings (which translates into advertising dollars) for the Weather Channel.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no super secret hidden agenda or anything political about naming winter storms.
LOL, of course not. I suppose the 'Polar Vortex' was conceived by those devious little hacks in advertising. <¦-o

USA_1

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#174743 Jan 31, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite line was where she went skiing in an area known as "it's none of your business".
It's no surprise you're speechless, and it's good that not all (alleged) lawyers are as dumb as you. Lyndi plays you like an out-of-tune banjo everytime, yet you keep eatin' the erasers.
Be a good troll and stop flashin' yer social caste, passport, education, tax bracket, and all the other perks that make you better than everyone else in here. No one likes a showoff braggart, especially one that has enabled a POTUS to take the US helm and turn it into
a remake of the Titanic.
Catcher's mind, was in the public restroom where he was gazing over the urinal stall divider earlier today, when he posted 'WOW'. LOL...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#174744 Jan 31, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>If humans contribute to global warming, humans can do something about it. If not, well, all we can do is prepare as best as possible for the effects.
Probably option "b". The chances of stopping millions of people around the globe from using
aerosol sprays is about the same as convincing China to immediately adopt enviro-friendly
factories to replace the uncontrolled smoke belchers currently in use. And that's jes' for starters.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen no definitive proof that humanity does contribute, but the arguments I've seen put forth that humanity isn't contributing to it are far less persuasive to me.
That fence you've chosen to roost on must be pretty comfortable, Wilmer. Not that I wanna be rude ol' boy, and not have a seat next to ya, but I'm guessin' the pollutants generated by a gazillion people here on 3rd Rock, are probably detrimental rather than beneficial.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you itching to take offense at something I say?
I don't think it's so much of what you say, as it is in the delivery. But I could be wrong.
I was wrong once b4 in 1998 or 99, can't recall.
:-)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#174745 Jan 31, 2014
USA_1 wrote:
<quoted text>Catcher's mind, was in the public restroom where he was gazing over the urinal stall divider earlier today, when he posted 'WOW'. LOL...
Heh heh. Pretty rare to see a mouthpiece blank out.

But I imagine Chaser's been sittin' at a desk for several hours workin' on a retort. You've seen it on TV. An author tries to write but winds up squashing the paper and tossin' it in the general area of the wastebasket. When the camera pans back, the floor is covered with layers of squashed up papers, and the writer doesn't even know how to get started.

Hat rack freeze.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#174746 Jan 31, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably option "b". The chances of stopping millions of people around the globe from using
aerosol sprays is about the same as convincing China to immediately adopt enviro-friendly
factories to replace the uncontrolled smoke belchers currently in use. And that's jes' for starters.
<quoted text>
That fence you've chosen to roost on must be pretty comfortable, Wilmer. Not that I wanna be rude ol' boy, and not have a seat next to ya, but I'm guessin' the pollutants generated by a gazillion people here on 3rd Rock, are probably detrimental rather than beneficial.
<quoted text>
I don't think it's so much of what you say, as it is in the delivery. But I could be wrong.
I was wrong once b4 in 1998 or 99, can't recall.
:-)
This fence sitting thing ... is there a quota for how often that has to be trotted out, or is it determined by, say, spinning a plastic arrow attached to a piece of cardboard?

I suspect that a) global warming is real, and b) man makes a contribution to it.

Here's the deal - I'm as much a climatologist as I am a rocket scientist, brain surgeon, or commie, so all I can do is read what's out there, pro and con, and form an opinion.

Have I got the knowledge and expertise to defend that opinion in a scientific manner? Not even close.

Am I remotely interested in an agenda driven conversation about the subject? Further away still, no matter which agenda it might be.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#174747 Feb 1, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>This fence sitting thing ... is there a quota for how often that has to be trotted out, or is it determined by, say, spinning a plastic arrow attached to a piece of cardboard?
Hey we're not cheap here. It's a red aluminum arrow with a gyro-spinner mounted on an
aqua-marine plasticine base with a leather border and taupe numbers, completely random.

But look at yer original reply. If that's not fence-sitting, nothing is. Jes' callin''em as I see 'em. Would ya rather I be DISHONEST?

Safety Harbor, FL

#174748 Feb 1, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Uhhhh ... well ... gee.
Sorry pal but don't think so. That is just one example. Until G.E. sold off Nbc they too were driven by this agenda changing the logo green ever so often. I still laugh when one day they didn't light most sets with normal lightning. I'm all for profit but on this stunt of naming winter storms the national weather service told the weather channel not to. Its politics 100% and even the guy that founded the very network says that drives almost everything they do today as he isn't welcome.

Safety Harbor, FL

#174749 Feb 1, 2014
Anyone catch msnbc this week as they showed what bigots they are again?

One Glance and You’ll Know Exactly Why MSNBC Deleted and Apologized for This Horribly Offensive Tweet

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/29/on...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#174750 Feb 1, 2014
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
a remake of the Titanic.
After all the demeaning, you give little old me credit for the President's actions?
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#174751 Feb 1, 2014
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious?
The 'small way' is the efficiency with which the Chinese dictatorship can implement a policy in comparison to our form of government, no matter what the issue the policy addresses might be (in this case, global warming/carbon emissions.
Let's cut to the chase here, Lyndi ... do you attribute the so-called global warming / climate change agenda to communism?
Are YOU serious? I'm opposed to communism. Why on earth would I be okay with her praising the "efficiency" with which a dictatorship can implement vast policies by a handful of decision makers and simultaneously demean the US democratic system due to it's more tedious legislative processes which include the voices of it's citizens?

And no, I don't "attribute" global warming/ climate change to communism but I'm naturally suspect on any large measure taken which involves vast amounts of money, vast amounts of power, what looks to be a systematic program of panicking the masses and led in good part by left leaning figures. All I have to do is look at the major players who kicked the global warming hysteria off, look at who's most invested in it, look at who's making mountains of money off it and my suspicions just bubble to the surface all on their own.
==========

***** "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

***** "The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the urge to rule it."

H.L. Mencken

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#174752 Feb 1, 2014
I admit I did not listen to the whole state of the union speech. I lasted about 20 minutes, so I missed the MyRA part. Haven't heard lots of comments on it. But I have to ask "What is he thinking?" Most don't have the extra money to invest in their future and those who do know there are lots better deals out there than a 2% return which doesn't even match inflation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 28 min ardith 52,750
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 52 min Gabriel 992,274
____ TRUMP 100% in the spirit of ANTICHRIST ____ (Mar '16) 2 hr Poster Child for ... 22
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) 2 hr c840xba 32
___TRUMP Already Met & Deceived by ANTICHRIST___ 2 hr Poster Child for ... 2
shuh up meathead! 5 hr Doctor REALITY 7
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr PadMark 693,440
More from around the web