Bush is a hero

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#173221 Dec 4, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I had a carpet cleaning franchise for a couple of years in the early 90s, and my experience with folks with money was the same as yours.
I try and shop local whenever possible. I usually hit 20% of my grocery budget, and the only way my beef could be more local is if I raised it in the back yard. With other stuff I'll trade at locally owned franchises of national brands when I can (Ace Hardware, etc).
You can begin to question the effort when you buy something from a local business on Tuesday and run them on Saturday at Walmart with a card loaded up from various and sundry departments. I get the same feeling when I see my union neighbor shopping there the same week he had been picketing in front of a business for 'unfair labor practices'.
There's nothing new about the impact of the Walmarts of the world on local businesses except that Walmart impacts so many different areas. I'm pretty sure it's been going on since the mail order giants of the late 19th century (Sears, Montgomery Ward) started opening stores. On groceries in particular, the threat of large chains is one of the themes of John Steinbeck's novel "The Winter of Our Discontent", published in 1961.
I see that myself where local businesses stock up at the superstores. i have to shake my head. I'm in a trade orginization and they routinely make deals with the giants for special deals for the industry I'm in. I always tell them no thanks I'll buy from local business owners.

Sometimes as a business owner you may be in the same situation as CC described. Starting out I had to be thrifty. When i started making profits I started utilizing local business, and i also made sure they knew why. There are advantages to using locals as i'm sure your aware. Better service and better quality.

Good an interesting post WW....

#173222 Dec 4, 2013
I believe Congress can get out because they are under an employer plan from the federal gov.

Now that Harry Reid knows whats in it, he's opting out.

http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reid-exempts-some...

#173223 Dec 4, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, Hip. Which do you think hurts GM's competitiveness more, present day labor costs or servicing over 100 $billion$ in union pension obligations? I'll give ya a hint, you pointed out the one being short-sheeted, and it's being done to feed the 600 pound hog. The majority of todays union workers, public and private, are nothing but Bernie Madoff fodder, the last guys in on a crumbling ponzi scheme. And like the people of Detroit, it's their own normalcy bias and support for inept, near sighted management that is to blame.
What's your take on this? Looks like Detroit revisited:
"The Illinois legislature has approved a "fix" to the state's woefully underfunded pensions (35% funded, worst in the nation)---if that's what you want to call it.
The state is patching a $100+ billion hole with some modest cuts to retiree benefits and higher contributions from the state. Alas, the law gives those contributions higher priority than -- um -- schools, hospitals, parks, maintenance, police and fire protection.
"'This isn't a reform, but rather a fiscal death sentence," says a recent Op-Ed by Kenneth Griffin, CEO of the Chicago-based hedge fund Citadel. "The state would be stuck with pension funding requirements that squeeze out all other priorities and tie the hands of future leaders.'"
Another good post LIT........

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#173224 Dec 4, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I can explain it any better than I did. Larry understood it, I think you just are looking for a raveled thread that isn't there. Congress, their staff and unions are exempt from Obamacare. That means they will never have to follow the rules of government healthcare. Now if you don't want to call it an exemption, call it something else, I don't care, but please explain to me why they are different than anyone else. I'll wait.
Congress and staff are not, in fact, exempt, or any other word, from the ACA. You are the victim, and now a conduit, of right-wing media misinformation. Since you are proud about reading the law so as to be properly informed, it is only fair to point out that for some reason you have accepted this blatant but widely circulated untruth as fact without investigation.

If you choose to investigate, you'll find that the only reason this is a story at all was due to a bald ploy by your former Sen Grassley to set up a "controversy", and all he did was create a hardship for staffers, who are just working stiffs without the resources of a US senator to avoid the hardships imposed by his cynical action.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

As for the alleged, "union exemption", this also is exactly the kind of thing the right-wing media thrives on - an item with too many fussy little details for it's viewers, but leaving out those those same details create just enough dust to make their mudpies.

Bottom line - if you have any information outside of Fox, Newsmax, or Breitbart, that underscores this "union exemption" charge, I'd be pleased to hear it.
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Hip I have to say that you picturing me going into a corner and going "harumph" is disturbing, and it's just not me. That felt like a personal affront, but you don't do that, right?
When asked to clarify where the "knife-twist" is as it pertains specifically to UPS union employees, you gave a couple of vague and specious responses that didn't address your charge. When pressed further, you chose to stone-wall, twice.

It is what it is. If you perceive an accurate summary of the exchange as a personal affront, I'd regret your sensitivity, and suggest you visit the Under Armor website for an outlet near you.
Chris Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

#173225 Dec 4, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress and staff are not, in fact, exempt, or any other word, from the ACA. You are the victim, and now a conduit, of right-wing media misinformation. Since you are proud about reading the law so as to be properly informed, it is only fair to point out that for some reason you have accepted this blatant but widely circulated untruth as fact without investigation.
If you choose to investigate, you'll find that the only reason this is a story at all was due to a bald ploy by your former Sen Grassley to set up a "controversy", and all he did was create a hardship for staffers, who are just working stiffs without the resources of a US senator to avoid the hardships imposed by his cynical action.
As for the alleged, "union exemption", this also is exactly the kind of thing the right-wing media thrives on - an item with too many fussy little details for it's viewers, but leaving out those those same details create just enough dust to make their mudpies.
Bottom line - if you have any information outside of Fox, Newsmax, or Breitbart, that underscores this "union exemption" charge, I'd be pleased to hear it.
<quoted text>When asked to clarify where the "knife-twist" is as it pertains specifically to UPS union employees, you gave a couple of vague and specious responses that didn't address your charge. When pressed further, you chose to stone-wall, twice.
It is what it is. If you perceive an accurate summary of the exchange as a personal affront, I'd regret your sensitivity, and suggest you visit the Under Armor website for an outlet near you.
Guess what Hip, this nation is full of working stiffs that will get a fine no special deal and nobody in DC gives a crap. The reason libs like you hate Fox News is because they dare to point stuff like this out. Now back to your usual bashing and the beat does go on.

“The future begins”

every moment

#173226 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
The whole attempt to blurr what is becoming increasingly apparent reminds me of this bit from American historian Edmund Morgan:
"Ideology consists in opinions to sustain [the people's] consent.
The few who govern take care to nourish those opinions. No easy task, for the opinions needed to make the many submit to the few are often at variance with observable fact. The success of government thus requires the acceptance of fictions, requires the willing suspension of disbelief, requires some to believe that the emperor is clothed even though we can clearly see that he is not."
Good one, thx. Aligns perfectly with the "Congress and staff exemption" and "union exemption" misinformation campaign.
Chris Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

#173227 Dec 4, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
I believe Congress can get out because they are under an employer plan from the federal gov.
Now that Harry Reid knows whats in it, he's opting out.
http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reid-exempts-some...
Something Willie said some time back is that these people live on a different level. I agree but it's sad to see that for the most part those that go to government to serve live better than most of the people in the nation.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#173228 Dec 4, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Another good post LIT........
And I'll 2nd that, Larry.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#173229 Dec 4, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Give him the white sheet bro. Nothing he says matters. His word is worthless.
I know that man, but he's gittin' to be as annoying as that Global Idiot.

“The future begins”

every moment

#173230 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Just curious, Hip. Which do you think hurts GM's competitiveness more, present day labor costs or servicing over 100 $billion$ in union pension obligations? I'll give ya a hint, you pointed out the one being short-sheeted, and it's being done to feed the 600 pound hog. The majority of todays union workers, public and private, are nothing but Bernie Madoff fodder, the last guys in on a crumbling ponzi scheme. And like the people of Detroit, it's their own normalcy bias and support for inept, near sighted management that is to blame.
"The Illinois legislature has approved a "fix" to the state's woefully underfunded pensions (35% funded, worst in the nation)---if that's what you want to call it.
The state is patching a $100+ billion hole with some modest cuts to retiree benefits and higher contributions from the state. Alas, the law gives those contributions higher priority than -- um -- schools, hospitals, parks, maintenance, police and fire protection.
"'This isn't a reform, but rather a fiscal death sentence," says a recent Op-Ed by Kenneth Griffin, CEO of the Chicago-based hedge fund Citadel. "The state would be stuck with pension funding requirements that squeeze out all other priorities and tie the hands of future leaders.'"
Now you're in my wheelhouse.

I do pay attention, and not just since 2008. IL has underfunded, or completely forgone, pension contributions for almost 30 years. This can be affirmed by going thru the archives of the Chicago Tribune, or any other IL paper, because they've been pointing it out over that entire period.

Now that 30 years has been over good times and bad times, so we can't chalk it up all to the economic downturn.

That entire time, pension contributions have come out of all employees pay checks like clockwork. Where did the money go? Who knows, but it sure didn't go into the SERS or other retirement systems.

Now, due to the crash of 2008, the chickens have come home to roost. And what do the long-term politicians do? They immediately blame the employee pensions as "just too rich", which is exactly what House Speaker Madigan said, who has been there the entire 30 years.

Surely you're not surprised.
lisw

Mount Orab, OH

#173231 Dec 4, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>When asked to clarify where the "knife-twist" is as it pertains specifically to UPS union employees, you gave a couple of vague and specious responses that didn't address your charge. When pressed further, you chose to stone-wall, twice.
I'm sorry Hip you are just wrong and the sad thing is that you write huge diatribes to try to prove me wrong. There are exemptions look it up under fact check, all you have to enter is exemptions from Obamacare. I am not stonewalling I have no desire to repeat myself over and over so you can talk some more. As for being sensitive, uh projecting much?

“The future begins”

every moment

#173232 Dec 4, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Guess what Hip, this nation is full of working stiffs that will get a fine no special deal and nobody in DC gives a crap. The reason libs like you hate Fox News is because they dare to point stuff like this out. Now back to your usual bashing and the beat does go on.
....stuff like what, Chris? What did they "point" out?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#173233 Dec 4, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry Hip you are just wrong and the sad thing is that you write huge diatribes to try to prove me wrong. There are exemptions look it up under fact check, all you have to enter is exemptions from Obamacare. I am not stonewalling I have no desire to repeat myself over and over so you can talk some more. As for being sensitive, uh projecting much?
What does the union exemption have to do with the UPS situation?

UPS made a change to its health care policies for non union employees. It CAN'T make the same change to the union plans right now, which are a contractual matter.

The union exemption is only relevant IF the plan for UPS union employees is one that got a waiver.

Absent that, you're having a moment.

"Union" + "health care" =
UidiotRaceMAkewo rldpeace

United States

#173234 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
University of Chicago developed likemnds Corrupted and Criminal minds = Some Bush & Co have graduates and todays Govt/Admins from this school, it make you wonder about Neocons LeoStruassian Philosophy and jocabian precepts, does it make you wonder about their right wing Authoritains agendas come from, you supported them and whole shibang and down to their bucket of filth, oh yea as some of yo on here will off course try to denied guilt , you know who you . Bhahahaaaqaaa
Chris Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

#173235 Dec 4, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>....stuff like what, Chris? What did they "point" out?
Things like the exchanges working poorly, the cos that have been given special favors for parts of Obama care, and one person that shared how his insurance is going sky high is now being audited. Humm. Can't link any of it but anyone can find it. And I note that just like the dear leader you in own post dismiss anything fnn has as not valid.

United States

#173236 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Where Hip left off and did not come up with a counter
with this post of yours, Hip please excuse me on this.

You mean SEUI is Maddof-type Organization, on the contrary, what you know , what am talking about? If you can't answer this with critical reasoning skills, i would say you lost it already.
So?
And American Middle Class is made by who?
BAHhahaaa

What and who is what killing the good Unions? You mean you hate Unions?

Unbelievable ignorance from some of you! ABbababaababaaa

United States

#173237 Dec 4, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that man, but he's gittin' to be as annoying as that Global Idiot.
Question is to you! Why do younger generations only get on nerves of certain seniors and not the other seniors?

You worst than Global idiot but you WORLD global War mongering Idiots ! Q ABbabaabaaaaaaaa

“Brevity is the soule of wit”

Since: May 09

USA

#173238 Dec 4, 2013
idiot wrote:
<quoted text>Where Hip left off and did not come
And American Middle Class is made by who?
BAHhahaaa
What and who is what killing the good Unions? You mean you hate Unions?
ABbababaababaaa
You learned English in a Wal-Mart parking lot, didn't you, Somalian?

United States

#173239 Dec 4, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Give him the white sheet bro. Nothing he says matters. His word is worthless.
You want to give me and catcher1 and those you detest the White sheEt - SUCH violent mind you and Bad bob have , you Authoritarians Fee fi fo fum i smell you a ___, did you know you have mind of a KKK clansman ? Those of us still living will not take you abuses - you cradle to grave injustices - those for world human rights from around the globe will see you face International Justice and for Civil rights abuses at home. hOW ABOUT THAT FOR APPLES Christ unclear Bloodywater!Bhahahhaaaa

United States

#173240 Dec 4, 2013
An NFL Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You learned English in a Wal-Mart parking lot, didn't you, Somalian?
None of the Above! HO HO HOoo! You NFL ,the war mongering Grunting jarheads, and did you know your war-like barbarian English is from Hades! No if and Butts about it! The world need to sent you warmongering minions back to hell where you come from! Abbaahahhaaaa!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min Highest Comandmen... 44,045
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min scientia potentia... 27,711
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Michael 636,859
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min here 280,438
Poll Is the price is right fixed for blacks? (Jun '12) 11 min nana 131
Laws against civilization 14 min Lerara 1
I never REALIZED........ 52 min Doctor REALITY 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr RiversideRedneck 968,645
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 11 hr WasteWater 4,707
More from around the web