Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Its nothing less then blackmail, but whats the answer? If Illinois doesnt cave, Indiana will. Its a competition for jobs. And the big employers know that and exploit it.
I've often said If I knew then what I know now I would have started my business in Iowa..........
.. small business cannot compete with big business ..

.. local governments know this yet the taxpayer subsidies continue ..

.. it's not a circle because the goal of big business is to eliminate competition ..

.. Walmart moves in, the small independent grocery store like Western Family closes and jobs are only shifted, usually with reduced salaries and benefits ..

.. GM blackmails government by threatening to move jobs overseas ..

.. America is run by big business so I don't think there is a solution ..
HipGnozizzz

Astoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

<quoted text>
Its good news for the union employees.
Its bad news for the 15,000 Hip.
I wonder how the next negotiations will go? My guess is their gonna makes some more cuts, but its just a guess at this point. But 49 million is QUITE the increase.........
Wait a minute, why is it "bad news for the 15,000"?

You did catch the part about "dropped ONLY if they can receive coverage from their own employer"?

Where's the bad news?

Some people are just determined to cry "bad news", truth be damned.....

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it's not a circle because the goal of big business is to eliminate competition ..
.. Walmart moves in, the small independent grocery store like Western Family closes and jobs are only shifted, usually with reduced salaries and benefits ..
The solution is awareness. I cant remember where it was but Wal Mart wanted to move into a town of about 13,000(?) people. The town refused to let them build, said your not wanted here, we'd rather have the mom and pop shops. It was a legal battle and I'm not sure how it turned out.

People will realize these kinds of stores are not good for America. I very rarely go to those types of stores anymore. I canceled my membership to Sams and Costco knows I'm not interested......

https://www.google.com/search...

America has become an: I want it cheap and I want it now kind of market. Frustrates me to no end..........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Wait a minute, why is it "bad news for the 15,000"?
You did catch the part about "dropped ONLY if they can receive coverage from their own employer"?
Where's the bad news?
Some people are just determined to cry "bad news", truth be damned.....
It also says this:

This move will likely be particularly unpopular as it can be difficult and costly for married couples to have separate insurance. Many other employers allow spousal coverage for a fee, which UPS considered, but chose not to allow.

Now if insurance has been going up at a dramatic rate that something HAD to be done about it as you and Willie like to claim then I would imagine these couples would have been comparing and shopping for their best deal. I think its safe to say the best deal for them was to remain on UPS' insurance plan.

Thats just my guess though. you think if it would have been better for them to be on their own plan thats what they would have chosen to do.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Edit:
You would think if it would have been better for them to be on their own, then thats what they would have chosen to do.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Lord have Mercy!!

Edit:
You would think if it would have been better for them to be on their own plan, then thats what they would have chosen to do.

Time to sign off..........LOL.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Good info on ups, I didn't know that. On the other nothing new about it. Look at sports from coast to coast to see taxpayers taking all kinds of risk. Right here in 1988 folks were on the hook for building the place that the Tampabay Rays play ball at. Only thing was at the time the team didn't exist. It was a gamble they did pay off but Lust is wrong this isn't new. Just like hollow libs that yak about big oil. One of the stars from Seinfield fame comes to mind, turns out she made quite a bit if money in oil. Just more do as we say not as we do. I say cut it all out.
You're wrong. Historically, this is a new paradigm, in which corporations hold jobs hostage for taxpayer-funded infrastructure improvements and tax breaks. It is a product of many smaller evolutions, inc. a global economy, so-called "free trade" agreements, and loopholes that reward outsourcing American jobs. It was certainly not the way things were done in the Golden Age of Capitalism, when Americans enjoyed the broadest era of prosperity.

Another example? Maytag. They had a large facility in Galesburg IL. In the late 80's they did just as ADM - threatened to close the plant if they didn't get some "relief". So, IL lawmakers and the city gave them a huge grant to update the plant, upgraded the roads and utilities to the plant, and 10 years of tax breaks. Guess what happened at the end of 10 years, almost to the day? Well, if you buy a Maytag refrigerator today, it was built in Mexico.

The next thing you know, they're scratching to get a Wal-Mart with it's minimum wage jobs and part-time hours, or Lord bless us! A prison! And all the social joys such things bring. It's a downward spiral.

It's going on all across the nation. It's all but official - we're all just drones in service to the oligarchy, and best of all for them, we exhaust our energy blaming the other drones.

“The future begins”

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I know how you feel about unions. and I felt the same way at one time but like everything else they go too far. I think that they would like everyone to be like penguins, everyone the same.
OKaaay, that's a topic for discussion, but can we wander back to the topic at hand? Is collectively negotiating for spousal coverage an example of "going too far"?
lisw

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

<quoted text>
Its nothing less then blackmail, but whats the answer? If Illinois doesnt cave, Indiana will. Its a competition for jobs. And the big employers know that and exploit it.
I've often said If I knew then what I know now I would have started my business in Iowa..........
Why Iowa? As you know I lived there up until 2011.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Why Iowa? As you know I lived there up until 2011.
Because I was fairly close to the Iowa border, and their tax codes are much more business friendly then MN's.

ND and SD have even better small business friendly tax codes but geographically wouldn't work.

In all honesty though I would have had to consider the populations also. I am in a well populated area and that affords me way more opportunity.......But I just get so frustrated with our legislature at times..........

“The future begins”

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

<quoted text>
The solution is awareness. I cant remember where it was but Wal Mart wanted to move into a town of about 13,000(?) people. The town refused to let them build, said your not wanted here, we'd rather have the mom and pop shops. It was a legal battle and I'm not sure how it turned out.
People will realize these kinds of stores are not good for America. I very rarely go to those types of stores anymore. I canceled my membership to Sams and Costco knows I'm not interested......
https://www.google.com/search...
America has become an: I want it cheap and I want it now kind of market. Frustrates me to no end..........
I agree fully and applaud your stance,

BUT would like to add that of those three, Costco does pay their employees a good wage, with bennies.

“The future begins”

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is.

I recall when a new Wal-Mart opened in a town north of here, they also offered gas, at a loss. The strategy there is clear.

I asked a friend who lived near there, and was friends with a gas-station owner, "You got a dilemma. How you gonna decide where to buy gas?"

He said, "Well, it hardly matters. Either way, I can watch him go out of business slow, or quick."

As for solutions, I do believe that the American consumer still holds enormous kinetic power, in fact THE driving power in the entire system.

We just don't know it, or if we do glimpse it dimly, how to use it to our own benefit as a people. We think saving pennies IS to our personal benefit, and that's the end-game. That's what we're down to. Scratching for pennies.
lisw

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

<quoted text>
Because I was fairly close to the Iowa border, and their tax codes are much more business friendly then MN's.
ND and SD have even better small business friendly tax codes but geographically wouldn't work.
In all honesty though I would have had to consider the populations also. I am in a well populated area and that affords me way more opportunity.......But I just get so frustrated with our legislature at times..........
I didn't know that. I had what would be called a sole proprietor business. As I recall it did nothing but help with our federal taxes, but I don't remember state taxes. Other then that I saw no regulations with which to deal. Maybe if I'd hired an office manager.
lisw

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>OKaaay, that's a topic for discussion, but can we wander back to the topic at hand? Is collectively negotiating for spousal coverage an example of "going too far"?
I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't. Obviously from the article I posted, the cost is what drove UPS to decide not to cover non-union spouses who could get on insurance. It saved some but not enough and as prices continue to go up they will either give the union the same deal or go bankrupt. Guess which one I think will happen. Bankruptcy of course breaks the threads. As the judge said about Detroit, that binding contracts are no longer binding when bankruptcy comes into play.
The penguin thing was an afterthought, but there isn't a person I know who was ever part of a union who wasn't told to slow down because he/she was making the other union workers look bad. Unions are bankrupting the country and you and happy lesbo can talk about the power of corporations but unions imo buy and sell people (at this time in history)

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>There it is.
I recall when a new Wal-Mart opened in a town north of here, they also offered gas, at a loss. The strategy there is clear.
I asked a friend who lived near there, and was friends with a gas-station owner, "You got a dilemma. How you gonna decide where to buy gas?"
He said, "Well, it hardly matters. Either way, I can watch him go out of business slow, or quick."
As for solutions, I do believe that the American consumer still holds enormous kinetic power, in fact THE driving power in the entire system.
We just don't know it, or if we do glimpse it dimly, how to use it to our own benefit as a people. We think saving pennies IS to our personal benefit, and that's the end-game. That's what we're down to. Scratching for pennies.
.. you just nailed it ..

.. thanks ..

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and and those who are in the union don't have to worry at all "their" spouse will be covered.(twist that knife)
http://www.businessinsider.com/ups-dropping-s...
Where, exactly, is the knife twist?

UPS signed a contract. They are obligated to honor it for the term of that contract. It's no different that UPS raising its shipping rates, but giving customers under contract the rates agreed to.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you really think it's all one person's fault ??..
Oh, no ... he blames liberals and the left as much as he blames Obama.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't. Obviously from the article I posted, the cost is what drove UPS to decide not to cover non-union spouses who could get on insurance. It saved some but not enough and as prices continue to go up they will either give the union the same deal or go bankrupt. Guess which one I think will happen. Bankruptcy of course breaks the threads. As the judge said about Detroit, that binding contracts are no longer binding when bankruptcy comes into play.
The penguin thing was an afterthought, but there isn't a person I know who was ever part of a union who wasn't told to slow down because he/she was making the other union workers look bad. Unions are bankrupting the country and you and happy lesbo can talk about the power of corporations but unions imo buy and sell people (at this time in history)
.. that's exactly how big business wants you to think ..

.. in an ideal world, companies would pay decent wages, provide good benefits, create a safe workplace and value employees ..

.. you see, both labor unions and corporations want the companies to succeed, it's two sides of the same coin ..

.. but, please, tell me how unions are bankrupting America ..

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't. Obviously from the article I posted, the cost is what drove UPS to decide not to cover non-union spouses who could get on insurance. It saved some but not enough and as prices continue to go up they will either give the union the same deal or go bankrupt. Guess which one I think will happen. Bankruptcy of course breaks the threads. As the judge said about Detroit, that binding contracts are no longer binding when bankruptcy comes into play.
I'm having a whole lot of trouble seeing a difference between your attitude toward unions and those people who actually resent the compensation received by management, or profit earned by corporations.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Again, you need to look into it. UPS may be doing you a favor.
It's a little known fact that it may be cheaper for some to ask their employer NOT to cover dependents because the employee can save money by covering them on an exchange policy.
Is that supposed to be the silver lining to the Obamacare cloud?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

554 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Just Sayin 533,467
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Aura Mytha 256,933
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Patrick 224,570
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min It aint necessarily so 722,025
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 11 min Aura Mytha 5,270
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 31 min An NFL Fan 115,590
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 32 min bottom1980 424
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr reree 86
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••