Bush is a hero
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#173145 Dec 3, 2013
Agribusiness giant ADM decides it needs a new office in Chicago. Makes noises about moving it's Illinois plant.

Lawmakers panic.

Lawmakers currently considering a satellite TV tax to pay for corporate tax incentives, to induce ADM to stay and build here.

In short, corporation holds jobs hostage until taxpayers pay for corporation to build shiny new office building.

Like Ms. Lust has said, the new paradigm is: Taxpayer takes the risk, Big Corp takes the profit.

Yeah, sure, ADM, you built that.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#173146 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
Agribusiness giant ADM decides it needs a new office in Chicago. Makes noises about moving it's Illinois plant.
Lawmakers panic.
Lawmakers currently considering a satellite TV tax to pay for corporate tax incentives, to induce ADM to stay and build here.
In short, corporation holds jobs hostage until taxpayers pay for corporation to build shiny new office building.
Like Ms. Lust has said, the new paradigm is: Taxpayer takes the risk, Big Corp takes the profit.
Its just a viscious circle and I think you know that.

Whats the answer?

Lawmakers give the business tax breaks to stay or build. The business creates jobs, the employees pay taxes, and spend their money locally.......
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#173147 Dec 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and and those who are in the union don't have to worry at all "their" spouse will be covered.(twist that knife)
http://www.businessinsider.com/ups-dropping-s...
You act like this is some kind of skullduggery.

It's not.

THIS is the strength of collective bargaining. One string can't budge a brick. 1000 strings bound together can pull an ocean liner.

The over-riding point is that Chris will not be losing his insurance, union or not, if his employer doesn't offer it. Isn't this good news, or

(more likely)

is bad news more desired at this awful time in human history?
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#173148 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
Lawmakers panic.
Good info on ups, I didn't know that. On the other nothing new about it. Look at sports from coast to coast to see taxpayers taking all kinds of risk. Right here in 1988 folks were on the hook for building the place that the Tampabay Rays play ball at. Only thing was at the time the team didn't exist. It was a gamble they did pay off but Lust is wrong this isn't new. Just like hollow libs that yak about big oil. One of the stars from Seinfield fame comes to mind, turns out she made quite a bit if money in oil. Just more do as we say not as we do. I say cut it all out.

#173149 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>You act like this is some kind of skullduggery.
It's not.
THIS is the strength of collective bargaining. One string can't budge a brick. 1000 strings bound together can pull an ocean liner.
The over-riding point is that Chris will not be losing his insurance, union or not, if his employer doesn't offer it. Isn't this good news, or
(more likely)
Its good news for the union employees.
Its bad news for the 15,000 Hip.

I wonder how the next negotiations will go? My guess is their gonna makes some more cuts, but its just a guess at this point. But 49 million is QUITE the increase.........
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#173150 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
It's not.
(more likely)
We should be good for the year. I do hope a year from now things have improved but I doubt it. Just like my friend that had hope in then new President Obama passing a budget in Jan 09. I was a month from being out of work and said at the time I couldn't see how spending money we didn't have with no real plan would improve things much. Fast forward to Nov 13 and now what passes for good news is a sick joke. Again I really would like what the President speaks with his mouth to happen. Most times his actions have proved to be far from it. If things are better in the near future and more people are working and folks are seeing better healthcare and paying less for it (again his words) that would be great and I will be happy to be wrong. Not holding my breath here.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#173151 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
Lawmakers panic.
.. and the beat goes on ..

.. each year, cities, counties and states pay billions in scarce funds to lure or keep big business. When the cash rewards, free buildings, worker training and lucrative tax breaks cease, companies like ADM or GM move on to the next highest bidder and hundreds, sometimes thousands of jobs vanish ..

.. when the rewards aren't big enough, companies move the jobs overseas. That's why both the Republican & Democratic Parties insist lower federal taxes on corporations are necessary for America to compete globally ..

.. it's all a delightful shell game where both government and big business view job creation as an expense that must be subsidized by taxpayers ..

CHECK YOUR STATE

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/01...

With Established Harem

#173152 Dec 3, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Its just a viscious circle and I think you know that.
Whats the answer?
Lawmakers give the business tax breaks to stay or build. The business creates jobs, the employees pay taxes, and spend their money locally.......
.. it's blackmail ..

With Established Harem

#173153 Dec 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>We should be good for the year. I do hope a year from now things have improved but I doubt it. Just like my friend that had hope in then new President Obama passing a budget in Jan 09. I was a month from being out of work and said at the time I couldn't see how spending money we didn't have with no real plan would improve things much. Fast forward to Nov 13 and now what passes for good news is a sick joke. Again I really would like what the President speaks with his mouth to happen. Most times his actions have proved to be far from it. If things are better in the near future and more people are working and folks are seeing better healthcare and paying less for it (again his words) that would be great and I will be happy to be wrong. Not holding my breath here.
.. do you really think it's all one person's fault ??..

#173154 Dec 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it's blackmail ..
Its nothing less then blackmail, but whats the answer? If Illinois doesnt cave, Indiana will. Its a competition for jobs. And the big employers know that and exploit it.

I've often said If I knew then what I know now I would have started my business in Iowa..........
lisw

Delaware, OH

#173155 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
It's not.
(more likely)
I know how you feel about unions. and I felt the same way at one time but like everything else they go too far. I think that they would like everyone to be like penguins, everyone the same.

With Established Harem

#173156 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Its nothing less then blackmail, but whats the answer? If Illinois doesnt cave, Indiana will. Its a competition for jobs. And the big employers know that and exploit it.
I've often said If I knew then what I know now I would have started my business in Iowa..........
.. small business cannot compete with big business ..

.. local governments know this yet the taxpayer subsidies continue ..

.. it's not a circle because the goal of big business is to eliminate competition ..

.. Walmart moves in, the small independent grocery store like Western Family closes and jobs are only shifted, usually with reduced salaries and benefits ..

.. GM blackmails government by threatening to move jobs overseas ..

.. America is run by big business so I don't think there is a solution ..
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#173157 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Its good news for the union employees.
Its bad news for the 15,000 Hip.
I wonder how the next negotiations will go? My guess is their gonna makes some more cuts, but its just a guess at this point. But 49 million is QUITE the increase.........
Wait a minute, why is it "bad news for the 15,000"?

You did catch the part about "dropped ONLY if they can receive coverage from their own employer"?

Where's the bad news?

Some people are just determined to cry "bad news", truth be damned.....

#173158 Dec 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. small business cannot compete with big business ..
.. local governments know this yet the taxpayer subsidies continue ..
.. it's not a circle because the goal of big business is to eliminate competition ..
.. Walmart moves in, the small independent grocery store like Western Family closes and jobs are only shifted, usually with reduced salaries and benefits ..
.. GM blackmails government by threatening to move jobs overseas ..
.. America is run by big business so I don't think there is a solution ..
The solution is awareness. I cant remember where it was but Wal Mart wanted to move into a town of about 13,000(?) people. The town refused to let them build, said your not wanted here, we'd rather have the mom and pop shops. It was a legal battle and I'm not sure how it turned out.

People will realize these kinds of stores are not good for America. I very rarely go to those types of stores anymore. I canceled my membership to Sams and Costco knows I'm not interested......

https://www.google.com/search...

America has become an: I want it cheap and I want it now kind of market. Frustrates me to no end..........

#173159 Dec 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Wait a minute, why is it "bad news for the 15,000"?
You did catch the part about "dropped ONLY if they can receive coverage from their own employer"?
Where's the bad news?
Some people are just determined to cry "bad news", truth be damned.....
It also says this:

This move will likely be particularly unpopular as it can be difficult and costly for married couples to have separate insurance. Many other employers allow spousal coverage for a fee, which UPS considered, but chose not to allow.

Now if insurance has been going up at a dramatic rate that something HAD to be done about it as you and Willie like to claim then I would imagine these couples would have been comparing and shopping for their best deal. I think its safe to say the best deal for them was to remain on UPS' insurance plan.

Thats just my guess though. you think if it would have been better for them to be on their own plan thats what they would have chosen to do.

#173160 Dec 3, 2013
Edit:
You would think if it would have been better for them to be on their own, then thats what they would have chosen to do.

#173161 Dec 3, 2013
Lord have Mercy!!

Edit:
You would think if it would have been better for them to be on their own plan, then thats what they would have chosen to do.

Time to sign off..........LOL.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#173162 Dec 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Good info on ups, I didn't know that. On the other nothing new about it. Look at sports from coast to coast to see taxpayers taking all kinds of risk. Right here in 1988 folks were on the hook for building the place that the Tampabay Rays play ball at. Only thing was at the time the team didn't exist. It was a gamble they did pay off but Lust is wrong this isn't new. Just like hollow libs that yak about big oil. One of the stars from Seinfield fame comes to mind, turns out she made quite a bit if money in oil. Just more do as we say not as we do. I say cut it all out.
You're wrong. Historically, this is a new paradigm, in which corporations hold jobs hostage for taxpayer-funded infrastructure improvements and tax breaks. It is a product of many smaller evolutions, inc. a global economy, so-called "free trade" agreements, and loopholes that reward outsourcing American jobs. It was certainly not the way things were done in the Golden Age of Capitalism, when Americans enjoyed the broadest era of prosperity.

Another example? Maytag. They had a large facility in Galesburg IL. In the late 80's they did just as ADM - threatened to close the plant if they didn't get some "relief". So, IL lawmakers and the city gave them a huge grant to update the plant, upgraded the roads and utilities to the plant, and 10 years of tax breaks. Guess what happened at the end of 10 years, almost to the day? Well, if you buy a Maytag refrigerator today, it was built in Mexico.

The next thing you know, they're scratching to get a Wal-Mart with it's minimum wage jobs and part-time hours, or Lord bless us! A prison! And all the social joys such things bring. It's a downward spiral.

It's going on all across the nation. It's all but official - we're all just drones in service to the oligarchy, and best of all for them, we exhaust our energy blaming the other drones.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#173163 Dec 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I know how you feel about unions. and I felt the same way at one time but like everything else they go too far. I think that they would like everyone to be like penguins, everyone the same.
OKaaay, that's a topic for discussion, but can we wander back to the topic at hand? Is collectively negotiating for spousal coverage an example of "going too far"?
lisw

Delaware, OH

#173164 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Why Iowa? As you know I lived there up until 2011.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min New Age Spiritual... 650,084
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min Clearwater 56,018
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 18 min Steve III 44,945
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min trifecta1 971,740
I LOVE "Swing out Sister" lead singer Corinne D... 29 min Doctor REALTY 2
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 48 min Aussie Kev 2,310
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Just Think 435
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) Mon Jesus 47
More from around the web