Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>I'm pretty sure he has. He's just as sure you chosen not to respond to questions regarding same.
As is your right....
...so let's not shed any light on what we claim is a vital topic. Let's just trade in misinformation and vague anecdotes. "High-information," Republican-style.....
As a card carrying Obamacare supporter, why don't you respond to this womans plight for us. Show us what you know.

By Edie Littlefield Sundby
Nov. 3, 2013

"Everyone now is clamoring about Affordable Care Act winners and losers. I am one of the losers.

My grievance is not political; all my energies are directed to enjoying life and staying alive, and I have no time for politics. For almost seven years I have fought and survived stage-4 gallbladder cancer, with a five-year survival rate of less than 2% after diagnosis. I am a determined fighter and extremely lucky. But this luck may have just run out: My affordable, lifesaving medical insurance policy has been canceled effective Dec. 31.

My choice is to get coverage through the government health exchange and lose access to my cancer doctors, or pay much more for insurance outside the exchange (the quotes average 40% to 50% more) for the privilege of starting over with an unfamiliar insurance company and impaired benefits.

Countless hours searching for non-exchange plans have uncovered nothing that compares well with my existing coverage. But the greatest source of frustration is Covered California, the state's Affordable Care Act health-insurance exchange and, by some reports, one of the best such exchanges in the country. After four weeks of researching plans on the website, talking directly to government exchange counselors, insurance companies and medical providers, my insurance broker and I are as confused as ever. Time is running out and we still don't have a clue how to best proceed."

Full article: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142...
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
As a card carrying Obamacare supporter, why don't you respond to this womans plight for us. Show us what you know.
By Edie Littlefield Sundby
Nov. 3, 2013
"Everyone now is clamoring about Affordable Care Act winners and losers. I am one of the losers.
My grievance is not political; all my energies are directed to enjoying life and staying alive, and I have no time for politics. For almost seven years I have fought and survived stage-4 gallbladder cancer, with a five-year survival rate of less than 2% after diagnosis. I am a determined fighter and extremely lucky. But this luck may have just run out: My affordable, lifesaving medical insurance policy has been canceled effective Dec. 31.

My choice is to get coverage through the government health exchange and lose access to my cancer doctors, or pay much more for insurance outside the exchange (the quotes average 40% to 50% more) for the privilege of starting over with an unfamiliar insurance company and impaired benefits.
Countless hours searching for non-exchange plans have uncovered nothing that compares well with my existing coverage. But the greatest source of frustration is Covered California, the state's Affordable Care Act health-insurance exchange and, by some reports, one of the best such exchanges in the country. After four weeks of researching plans on the website, talking directly to government exchange counselors, insurance companies and medical providers, my insurance broker and I are as confused as ever. Time is running out and we still don't have a clue how to best proceed."
Full article: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142...
I'd say life deals some of us a tough hand, all of us before it's all over. Off the top of my head, I can consider her extra years fighting a catastrophic illness, against my mother's experience in which she was denied coverage long before the ACA, and withered away with palliative care only, with intermittent chance participation in clinical trials for experimental drugs through the local university, 45 miles away. That experience alone soured me as to the "benevolent health insurance provider."

I'd say those that scour the nation's millions for singular hard-cases should at very least be a source that has not demonstrated an agenda ala Murdoch.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Aw, somebody's havin' a bad hair day. Happens to everyone.
Most people have a good hair day now and again, without pretense to manic typed laff-tracks......
Buck up, kid. The TP took it on the chinny-chin-chin yestiddy. Ain't dat a pip?
That is a pip. An impressive pip. Government shutdowns don't play well in Virginia. If Cruz had asked about that prior to his coming out party, someone probably could have told him that.
But both sides can take away something from yesterday's election.
Dems have been put on BIG notice re: Obamacare and TP peeps better
re-think their hard core right wing extreme positions. I have no opinion on Christie yet except if he can win twice in a blue state, the TP might want to take a look at his winning recipe.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>If you had actually read the "one story", you might take issue with it, but at least you'd find that it was "one story" that covered thousands in receipt of misinformation campaigns of at least two major insurers, giving lie to the claim that "People are getting sky-high premiums and canceled policies due to the ACA".
The "one story" (and I've posted two - so far) showed with names and facts, how the insurance companies are misleading and gouging thousands of people, and blaming it on the ACA. But, you're right, it is ONE story.
In other words, if your insurance company (well, for those that actually HAVE one) pulls one of the above tricks, they obviously are one of the REASONS for The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
You've cited one company. Have you shopped around? The ACA will make it easier to do so. Conservative scoffers like to recite the litany that "people can do for themselves". But all the horror stories I've seen so far are with people who've only attempted to deal with ONE company.
And those companies just loooove those kind of people.
Obama was right in this regard. You CAN keep your insurance provider (for those that HAVE it) even IF you're content to be gouged and consider it the unique American way.
I've been to MNSURE, and I've been on the phone with a few different insurers. They are in lock step with what I've reported so far. I ask them point blank have you seen premiums rise over the last years. They all reply, dramatically.

You can mock me for not having insurance and still having an opinion, but the fact is I HAVE to get insurance, and so I've spent quite a bit of time finding out which way to go. Seems all I've run into is confusion. Nobody really knows what the hell is going on or how its going to work.

The one definite thing I've found out for sure is Ins. costs skyrocketed.
lisw

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. "Dumb it down for the rabble", is it? Treat everyone here like a five-year old? Naw, that's not condescending at all.
For myself, I choose the word that best describes what I want to relate. I don't then proof-read to make sure a 5-yr old can keep up. It is a respect for the other to assume they either know the word, make it out in context, or look it up. In other words, I do NOT assume ignorance, I assume intelligence, especially in those drawn to a Word-Based Format. Damme for common courtesy. Must be a progressive thing.
Besides the innate anti-intellectualism of the right, it is clear that this criticism is just one more tactic in a burgeoning arsenal of those with weak and therefore defensive inter-personal skills, and weaker arguments on point.
<quoted text>There ya go. The collective You finds fault either way. Condescending if ya do, condescending if ya don't....it's a gaming tactic, and a dumb one. Oh, the irony.....;)
D'ye think there's a further irony in the fact that these same folks will also rag on immigrants for "not learning the language"? The second half of the phrase should be, "....but keep it down t' li'l words or we gon' gitcha on 'at too!"
I disagree with Lyndi's idea of why Overly big words should not be used, but I disagree with you too. It's the art of conversation. One doesn't make communication any more complicated than it already is. A good novel will not sell if the flow is wrong and it seems forced. If those are really the words you use in a normal conversation then go for it, but I'll bet more than one person just kind of tunes you out. As for people who do not know our language, I sure hope you don't try to communicate with those words that are impossible for them to understand when they are trying to grasp the basic "hello,goodbye and where is the grocery store." That would be really rude.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>I'd say life deals some of us a tough hand, all of us before it's all over. Off the top of my head, I can consider her extra years fighting a catastrophic illness, against my mother's experience in which she was denied coverage long before the ACA, and withered away with palliative care only, with intermittent chance participation in clinical trials for experimental drugs through the local university, 45 miles away. That experience alone soured me as to the "benevolent health insurance provider."
I'd say those that scour the nation's millions for singular hard-cases should at very least be a source that has not demonstrated an agenda ala Murdoch.
The point IS, she was happy with her doctors and her insurance until the government butted in. What is WRONG with you?
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Hip. I didn't know your query was thread directed, I thought it was directed at a single individual. Here's my sob story....
In the 8 years prior to 2013, my insurance went from $1900 to $3100, a 64% increase or about 7% per year. And I whined about it every year. Last year my insurance went from $3100 to $5200, an increase of 68%. This year it went from $5200 to $9300, an increase of 79%. Same company, same deductibles, same co-pay.
I give that a sob and an SOB!!
So I went to a high deductible catastrophic policy with an HSA. I will lose that policy next year, but from what I hear it will be for my own good.
What have you found comparable thru the new exchanges?
lisw

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Its simple Hip. If I would have bought the insurance 3 years ago (and I've said this before) it would have been $1550 for what is now considered the gold plan. last year the rates more then doubled. This year they went up another 80%(?) to about 6 grand.
Just because I elected to wait for OC to kick in doesnt change that fact, or those numbers.
You disregard the friend of a friend stories, but will latch onto this one story.
There are 9 states where premiums are going down the other 41 are going up an average of 44%. Thats in just the last year. They aren't taking into consideration the previous year it doubled.
I forget who it was that said it, but it was a pro obamacare liberal. He said that the premiums went up in certain states because there was less competition, i.e. Kentucky which had only four insurance companies competing. Yes, conservatives have been saying for years, let insurance be sold across state lines and we will reduce the cost through competativeness, good old capitalism. But no one listened.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

<quoted text>
I've been to MNSURE, and I've been on the phone with a few different insurers. They are in lock step with what I've reported so far. I ask them point blank have you seen premiums rise over the last years. They all reply, dramatically.
You can mock me for not having insurance and still having an opinion, but the fact is I HAVE to get insurance, and so I've spent quite a bit of time finding out which way to go. Seems all I've run into is confusion. Nobody really knows what the hell is going on or how its going to work.
The one definite thing I've found out for sure is Ins. costs skyrocketed.
As they have been for years, for crappy coverage.

If a broker - an alleged professional - doesn't know "what the hell is going on", after three years of discussion and opportunity to brush-up, I think I'd be looking for a new broker. Just sayin'.....
lisw

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

For some reason that posted before I was finished. Think about it. There are supposed to be laws against monopolies but they occur all the time. Think of what you pay for electricity, phone, etc. Do you have a choice? Sometimes not.
HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
The point IS, she was happy with her doctors and her insurance until the government butted in. What is WRONG with you?
Did the government tell her insurance company to drop her? By what provision did that happen?

Simple questions.....
lisw

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Tunnel vision.
Chris Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Aw, somebody's havin' a bad hair day. Happens to everyone.
Most people have a good hair day now and again, without pretense to manic typed laff-tracks......
Buck up, kid. The TP took it on the chinny-chin-chin yestiddy. Ain't dat a pip?
I understand. You have nothing. Good day here. This is the time I really love to be in Fl. I miss the trees change but not what comes next. Let us know if you ever have anything but your smears and bs.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a pip. An impressive pip. Government shutdowns don't play well in Virginia. If Cruz had asked about that prior to his coming out party, someone probably could have told him that.
But both sides can take away something from yesterday's election.
Dems have been put on BIG notice re: Obamacare and TP peeps better
re-think their hard core right wing extreme positions. I have no opinion on Christie yet except if he can win twice in a blue state, the TP might want to take a look at his winning recipe.
As things played out, Cuccinelli can blame Ted Cruz for his defeat.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

<quoted text>
Yer slippin!! I didnt have to look up one word in that post..........
Fancy that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

<quoted text>

I've commented a few times how I have been following the costs of insurance. I am one w/o and was just about to purchase a policy when they passed OC and then decided to wait.
I'm guessing 'w/o' means 'without'. And assuming you meant 'without insurance'.
<quoted text>
I'm not sure how the gov. stepping in and raising my premiums and my deductible 200%, are improving my life,
I'm not sure why you're so upset...200% of 'zero' is still 'zero', as far as I know.

<quoted text>
and thank God if I ever get pregnant I'm covered.
We can all thank God for that.
<quoted text>
Once again you avoid the millions of people who are saying there policies have been canceled the premiums and deductibles have gone up and take one article from one person that says otherwise and call the rest liars..........
Not ALL the rest...just the ones who LIE about it.
Chris Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Before I married my wife her mom was sick with cancer. Happy to say today she is cancer free. Everyone has a story. I see that Hip can't really speak without a smear against whoever the boogeyman is today. Sad that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
As things played out, Cuccinelli can blame Ted Cruz for his defeat.
We can all thank God for that too.
Roberta G

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"Oh, honey, will you get the door? It's that stupid Obamacare Insurance salesman again and I DON'T WANT TO BUY WHAT HE'S SELLING! Tell him to #### off."
Reminds me of Jehovah's Witnesses, another group - and ideology- I despise.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>I
<quoted text>I'm not sure why you're so upset...200% of 'zero' is still 'zero', as far as I know.
<quoted text>

Do you really not get it? Nah, you get it your just being >obtuse< again. Hows that for one of your $10 words..........

I have to start paying that 200% increase from now on. The affordable care act has increased the cost and really made it unaffordable (but if were honest that was its intent all along). I delayed insurance because I'm building a business. It was a calculated risk. Guess what, it was a good bet on my part. Millions of others have made the same bet and the majority have had the results I have.

I'm pissed because of the increase I have to now pay, all because of a bad law that really fixes little. I'm glad for preexisting conditions and no caps, but for a 41% average increase in everyones payments it seems a steep price.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••