lisw

Sardinia, OH

#171258 Nov 2, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautimus,....check yer pictures. One of 'em might be an award winner.
:-D
We are terrible picture takers. I got one of Homer in front of the falls with his poncho on but you can't even tell it's the falls with all the mist.
Prices were unbelievably high. I thought it was because it was a tourist spot but a man we spoke with said prices are high all over Canada. It's that universal healthcare.
:)
Lost In Transition

United States

#171259 Nov 2, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
Vietnam was a huge mistake. Stalin met in Yalta with Roosevelt and Churchill after WW2 and Roosevelt was dying. He only lasted a few months after that. Stalin took advantage of both of them and got that 38th parallel agreement signed and that lead to the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Be damn glad Roosevelt won the war because otherwise the Jews would be dead and the rest of us would be goose stepping and speaking German. FDR was the greatest president in the history of this country.....PERIOD!!
Believe it or not I was a Republican for the first 30 years of my adult life. I voted for Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon three times....even Reagan once. Republicans used to be a different party. Now they're in the pockets of corporations and the rich. I wouldn't vote for another one of them of I live to 100. Let's see.....I'll be 80 next year so that might not be that far away.
So to re-cap, Republicans start wars while Democrats just get hood-winked and start huge mistakes.
Got it.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#171260 Nov 2, 2013
Confronting the Third World, Gabriel Kolko, p298

America's political leadership has not abdicated the basic ideological principle that the United States has both the obligation and the right to intervene aggressively both covertly and, if necessary, overtly in the affairs of nations throughout the Third World.

United States

#171261 Nov 2, 2013

How the 1 percent always wins: Liberal washing is the right’s new favorite tactic

Here's why plutocrats control our politics: Corporate America knows both parties are up for sale

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/01/how_the_1_per ...

By David Sirota

“What is most striking about the present is not the virtues of moderation but of the potential power of conviction. One detects, behind all the anxiety about ‘extremists,’‘radicals,’ and ‘militant minorities,’ a degree of envy. On the Right there is a group with enough commitment to a shared project that is willing and able to disrupt the ordinary functioning of government. If only the Left had such wherewithal. We might, at the very least, get something more than than the economically stagnant, politically oppressive Mugwumpery of the Democratic Party.”— Jacobin’s Alex Gourevitch

This trenchant passage about liberals’ reaction to the Tea Party summarizes a hugely significant yet little discussed truism: American politics has been inexorably lurching to the right not only because of the extremism of the Tea Party, but also because of a lack of Tea Party-like cohesion, organization and energy on the left. There are, of course, many factors that contribute to that sad reality including a successful war on the labor movement; a campaign finance system that makes conservative oligarchs even more powerful than they already are; and a mediasphere that ignores principles and tells liberals everything must be seen exclusively in partisan red-versus-blue terms. One factor, though, stands out for how it so destructively shapes the assumptions that define our political discourse. That factor can be called “liberal washing.”

Similar to green washing or so-called “gay washing”/“rainbow washing,” liberal washing is all about wrapping corporate America’s agenda in the veneer of fight-for-the-little-guy progressivism, thus portraying plutocrats’ radical rip-off schemes as ideologically moderate efforts to rescue the proles.

Liberal washing has always been around, of course. But it has really risen to prominence — and dominance — in modern times. Indeed, one of the most reliable political axioms of the last 30 years is this: If corporate America cooks up a scheme to rip off the middle class, Republicans will provide the bulk of the congressional votes for the scheme — but enough establishment-credentialed liberals inevitably will endorse the scheme to make it at least appear to be mainstream and bipartisan. Yes, it seems no matter how venal, underhanded or outright corrupt a heist may be, there always ends up being a group of icons with liberal billing ready to drive the getaway car.

The most reliable way to liberal-wash something is to get a famous Democrat to support it. This is because even though many Democratic politicians, party officials, operatives and pundits are neither liberal nor progressive, the media nonetheless usually portrays all people affiliated with the Democratic Party as uniformly liberal on all issues.

The famous examples of liberal washing come from the White House. A few decades ago, Democratic President Bill Clinton liberal-washed corporatist schemes like NAFTA and financial deregulation. Today, it is Democratic President Barack Obama liberal-washing the insurance industry’s healthcare initiatives and now joining with a handful of Democratic legislators to liberalwash – and legitimize – the right-wing crusade to slash Social Security benefits.(cont.)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#171263 Nov 2, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
Vietnam was a huge mistake. Stalin met in Yalta with Roosevelt and Churchill after WW2 and Roosevelt was dying. He only lasted a few months after that. Stalin took advantage of both of them and got that 38th parallel agreement signed and that lead to the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Be damn glad Roosevelt won the war because otherwise the Jews would be dead and the rest of us would be goose stepping and speaking German. FDR was the greatest president in the history of this country.....PERIOD!!
Believe it or not I was a Republican for the first 30 years of my adult life. I voted for Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon three times....even Reagan once. Republicans used to be a different party. Now they're in the pockets of corporations and the rich. I wouldn't vote for another one of them of I live to 100. Let's see.....I'll be 80 next year so that might not be that far away.
I salute you.

United States

#171264 Nov 2, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
US Former GI Tommy Bridges
It was a useless war, as every war is.... How gaddamn foolish it is, the war. There's no war in the world that's worth fighting for, I don't care where it is. They can't tell me any different. Money, money is the thing that causes it all. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the people that start wars and promote 'em are the men that make the money, make the ammunition, make the clothing and so forth. Just think of the poor kids that are starvin' to death in Asia and so forth that could be fed with how much you make one big shell out of.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#171265 Nov 2, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>We are terrible picture takers. I got one of Homer in front of the falls with his poncho on but you can't even tell it's the falls with all the mist.
Prices were unbelievably high. I thought it was because it was a tourist spot but a man we spoke with said prices are high all over Canada. It's that universal healthcare.:)
Amateur photogs can still collect $25-100K on their pix. Just remember
composition (subject & lighting), focus, background, & centering. Can also be anything from scenic wonders, to yer backyard garden. But still lifes account for many 1st place prizes too.

Shifting gears, I'm seeing this ACA law get worse and worse by the day. Six people signed up on the 1st day. Many are also rejecting the ACA and opting for Medicaid.

Prices are skyrocketing (premiums & deductibles) and doctors who've spent an average of 12 years getting their shingles, are quitting in large numbers.

Obama "misled" the American people again by saying he won't apologize for insurance companies dropping their clients. He called the companies "bad apples". Obama said it's "FULL STEAM AHEAD".

The web site will be down for an unknown time period while the A-Team cleans out all the bugs. Experts are calling for 30 days (end of Nov)to see what transpires and get a better idea of whether this mess will clear up, repair web site, and decide if 1 year delay will be necessary.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#171266 Nov 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I salute you.
What a shock!

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#171267 Nov 2, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
So to re-cap, Republicans start wars while Democrats just get hood-winked and start huge mistakes.
Got it.
Huckabee played a collage of Obama clips from about 09 to current, on everything from Fast & Furious, to the NSA spying on our Euro friends.

Clip after clip showed Barry saying "he didn't know", "was unaware, or "I just learned of it from the media, same as you". And like Huckabee
said, "Obama's either being untruthful, or he's incredibly incompetant.

I vote for the 1st one. And I hope he keeps it up, because he just MAY
lie himself into an impeachment hearing.
G-spot

Tulsa, OK

#171268 Nov 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>We are terrible picture takers. I got one of Homer in front of the falls with his poncho on but you can't even tell it's the falls with all the mist.
Prices were unbelievably high. I thought it was because it was a tourist spot but a man we spoke with said prices are high all over Canada. It's that universal healthcare.
So is this:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/02/20/op...
frankfazzieee

Pittsburgh, PA

#171269 Nov 3, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …is her dead yet

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#171270 Nov 3, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
Well, now ...

The war in Europe was almost over by the Yalta conference, but it took place 3 months before Germany finally surrendered. The division of Korea at the 38th parallel was not discussed at Yalta; the division of Vietnam wasn't even on anyone's radar.

The 38th parallel, like the division of Germany into different zones, was a military expedient - a place where different invading/occupying armies could meet up safely. Who "got" what was based in large part on who got their first.

The line dividing Korea was suggested by the U.S. right after the Russians joined the war in Asia, and was agreed to even though the western allies had no troops in Korea. The closest were in Okinawa, 600 miles away by sea.

The dividing line in Vietnam wasn't agreed to until nine years after the end of WWII.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#171271 Nov 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, one of my bestest pals is a Vietnam vet who has undergone three cancer scares in the last ten years. He likes the VA just fine, volunteers to drive others there, AND he's a Show-Me state conservative.
And there ya have it!

Location hidden

#171272 Nov 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>And sometimes that's by necessity. I had many clients on welfare and there was not a path to get well. Someone found a part time job they could handle, but for each dollar they made they lost a dollar of welfare. I always thought that they should let the person get a little ahead that it would be a great incentive to keep going.

What Hip doesn't understand with his statistics (not sure where he got them) is that one of the reasons it looks like people don't stay on welfare for more than five years is that they are forced off of it by the bureaucracy (sp?) for awhile and then they often go back on it because they can't handle the job they are forced into.

That's the other thing. Healthcare and welfare are not expensive because of the people who use it they are expensive because of the myriad of government workers it takes to enforce them.
Good points!
The system works, but 95 percent of the people are broken (lazy, corrupt, greedy etc...)

Who said crime doesn't pay?
Answer, nobody! Google search (.025 seconds)
Makes sense, who would want to be associated with such a dumb quote?
Answer again, nobody!!!

We need to fix the people!

Location hidden

#171273 Nov 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>"But how does business compete then with a Malaysian wage of $2?", you might say. Our Congress, if it cared about us, could take steps to help there as well. But Congress cares far more about it's multi-national corporate donors than it does about us.
Another Law?

Then another Law, then another Law?

hmmmmm ...

Location hidden

#171274 Nov 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Now see there's one of those "examples" that are not evidence at all. How come yours are useful and our's are not. We all know someone whose experience backs up our claims.
Evidence schmevidence.

This is Topix, the Land of Make Believe!

Location hidden

#171275 Nov 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Because to the delight of all my teachers and professors along my academic path, I am the feminine version of a Doubting Thomas. And I bitterly DOUBT liberalism as a solution to anything except where butter on lobster and baked potatoes is concerned. As a former student of the ancients, I believe that everything in moderation, nothing to excess is a wise philosophy and liberalism is excessive; thus unhealthy for an individual and unhealthy for a population of freedom loving people, so says Socrates. And waiting around while Nancy, Harry and Barry contort themselves and this nation into colossal knots trying to force liberalism to work is about as much fun and productive as waiting for Godot.
Living a life of moderation is what got us here.
Think about it.

Greed and jealousy notwithstanding.

As was said here earlier recently, I think it was here, "We had a good run."

Location hidden

#171276 Nov 3, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Never said the VA was the be-all and end-all of health care...which is another story altogether...all I'm saying is, that the 'I got mine-screw you' mentality is what drives our current 'health care program'. A program hodgepodged together out of overburdened emergency rooms, health care at the mercy of bean counters, the highest medical costs on the planet, and millions of folks without any 'health insurance' coverage at all, is preferable to some folks...mainly those who 'got theirs.'
I hear ya.

I'm observing that sentiment just about everywhere, not just in the HealthCare Industry.

We are living "La Vida Loca!"

Location hidden

#171277 Nov 3, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a good friend who suffers with hepatitis thanks to the VA.......
Sorry to hear about that.

To be fair, ALL hospitals and staff make errors, some even grievous.
I've got a friend who had the wrong kidney taken out thanks to the staff at our local Presbyterian Hospital. Stuff happens.

I'd still go there before stepping foot in the V.A.

Location hidden

#171278 Nov 3, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing they're not reporting is that the Fed is also sinking the monies (profits) they receive on redemptions of existing holdings into the QE bond buying process. If those monies were included with the printed 85 $billion$, July's QE totalled 119 $billion$, August's was 107 $billion$. Haven't seen Sept's yet.
A quarter of a $trillion$ in only two months. Holy cow, that's a big number.
http://cineleet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Liam 558,749
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min mr-rayan 264,957
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 773,272
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 10 min MUQ2 37,788
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 34 min MakeWOrldPEaceUID... 4,665
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 37 min RiccardoFire 96,707
free phones 54 min vcsy 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 604,735
More from around the web