Comments
163,461 - 163,480 of 173,282 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171168 Nov 1, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Coming back to this, I'd just like to say that notions of what the "Founders" meant seem to be like most people's image of God - pretty much in tune with personal proclivity.
If I read you correctly, you seem to be advancing the notion that they set up some kind of populist people's gov't.
If one takes the time to read the aforementioned sources, many might be surprised to find that the Founding Fathers whose views most largely won out - Hamilton, Madison, John Jay, etc - didn't trust us rabble in the least. Many were still in thrall to a governing aristocracy. They were entirely dismissive of the democratic "levelers". Madison it was who wrote an apparently convincing piece that tried to allay those fears by posing that the more people allowed to vote (and still just talking about white males) the more they would split into factions and cancel each other out, thus leaving the governing to "they". After continuous contentious debate, they finally settled on our bicameral legislature, with only the House directly and popularly elected. Then they set about to construct the rest of the thing with an eye to check the "passions" of the mob.
Over the ensuing years we've expanded suffrage and taken steps to further democratize elections. But at the same time a governing aristocracy, in league with monied interest, have quietly, inexorably, consolidated their hold and power. I suspect such as Hamilton and Adams would be most pleased.
I gotta wonder if even Hamilton or Adams could have envisioned what our Federal government would become. But there's the rub, imagine is all I've got. Naturally, I am a tad partial to the likes of Jefferson and Paine. We got us a stew, and what makes it good, or bad, is a matter of taste.
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171169 Nov 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You're incredibly ignorant in your quest to get me. Don't waste your time. You have no clue what I've GOT.
Not only that, it's none of anybody elses business.
UIdiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#171170 Nov 1, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberalism could be the failed experiment in the US and IF Obamacare fails, it's a knife straight through the heart of the big government, liberal agenda. Obamacare was the anticipated crown jewel of the entitlement state and IF it collapses, it will discredit the sensibility of mass expansion of government which is at the very core of liberalism.
Democrats are starting to back away from this thing, Obama's ratings are plummeting further and I'm optimistic the fallout from this combined with the dismal condition of the country, will be a huge blow to democrats and liberalism......because the very last thing they want is PROOF it doesn't work and we're possibly on the precipice of handing them that proof on a silver platter.
If the GOP doesn't screw up this enormous opportunity, I'm confident in 2014 and in 2016 they can send liberals packing and begin the process of undoing the mess left behind by Obama and his likeminded cronies and get back to business.
Interjecting , this post you addressed hip! No lib here!

But you prefer a small govt and is it any better than big govt?

United States

#171171 Nov 1, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotta wonder if even Hamilton or Adams could have envisioned what our Federal government would become. But there's the rub, imagine is all I've got. Naturally, I am a tad partial to the likes of Jefferson and Paine. We got us a stew, and what makes it good, or bad, is a matter of taste.
If our sexy Founding farts had made it a living Social Contract, the USC, then we, the people would had be better of.

United States

#171172 Nov 1, 2013
Bahhahhaaaaaaaa
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171173 Nov 1, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always suspected you were someone who has a photographic memory or close to it anyway.
Ask me a week from now what Obamas approval rating was last week and I wont remember. LOL.
Its just the way it is for me. I think I have explained my weak memory here before. Its why I try to avoid involved debates. I have to reread every post every time I reply to keep my train of thought. Its getting worse as the years go by. I had an incident with CO2 when I was younger and I blame it on that, and the excessive drug use in my youth probably has something to do with it......
More power to you though, your blessed to have a good memory......
I'm like that. I just figured my brain was full, and for every fact I stuff in my left ear one gets forced out my right. On top of that, I don't recognize faces. There's some big word for that, I used to know it but it fell out.

United States

#171174 Nov 1, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of head-scratchers....."adop ting Keynesian economics? The West adopted Keynesian theory back in the 30's, and it seems it worked pretty well for over 30 years, seeing as how we generally characterize the late 40's thru the early-70's as an idyllic age of general prosperity in the Western world often called the Golden Age of Capitalism.
The US and The UK in particular got away from Keynes in the 70's, and adopted Monetarist policies exemplified by Friedman among others. The US went cautious "trickle-down economics" in the 80's, and full-hog "piss-on-you-middle-class " in the oughts.
So, how's them chickens again?
Seems like Communist China Capitalism model is working for them pretty good in this century growing faster That US model . But we can do without those that don't fit . Improvement and revampimg US capitalistic model Hmmmm? At what price? Some on here will be irritate with me for bringing it up and complaining admantly you are a commie, KNOWING mCcARTYISM era politics of fearmongering they been brought up with... ahahhaahahahaa What models wORKS BEST GIVE IT A TRY?
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171176 Nov 1, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Long before I heard of a guy named Barack Obama, I coached my boy's LL team for a few years. On it was a nice player (good glove, no hit) by the name of Schafer.
Barack Shafer. Yeah, white boy.
So, when this Senator came along, the origins of his name weren't half as puzzling to us as it seemed to be to so many.
I played HS football with a kid named Jaycee Penny.
Always well dressed.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#171177 Nov 1, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Long before I heard of a guy named Barack Obama, I coached my boy's LL team for a few years. On it was a nice player (good glove, no hit) by the name of Schafer.
Barack Shafer. Yeah, white boy.
So, when this Senator came along, the origins of his name weren't half as puzzling to us as it seemed to be to so many.
Wow, that is SO d@mn interesting I'm canceling all my other appointments
for next week so I can petition for you to get the Pulitzer. Be'ar
start puttin' the display shelf together. Yer a shoe

United States

#171178 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Washington chopping down Cherry tree is more like our form of govt?
'
MWHAHAHAHAaaa :0

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#171179 Nov 1, 2013
Not everybody will be interested in this, but as an attorney, I sure am:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/180035586/Response-...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#171180 Nov 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no chance of you shutting up.
You are congenitally domineering.
Worthless troll!

You'll use ANY opportunity to bring up sex. Disgraceful.
Go find the thread for that, chaser.
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171181 Nov 1, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I know how free cell phones began and what the original intent was but it takes the liberals to abuse the program the way they have.
13.6% of USA households get food stamps, up from 8.6% in 2008;
48% of households headed by women with young children now live in poverty. Encouraging, isn't it?
Yep, we're doing grrrreat!
Hey, I know. Let Obama keep blaming 2007 or here, pick the ones you like!
The Tea Party
Political gridlock
ATM machines
Republicans
Paul Ryan
Eric Cantor
John Boehner
The Tsunami in Japan
Greece
Mitt Romney
Italy
Too little government spending
Too few taxes
The debt debate
George W. Bush
Standard and Poor's
Wealthy people who want to keep what they earned
Oil companies
Ireland
Slurpees
Portugal
The War in Iraq
The War in Afghanistan
The heat wave in the midwest
Health care costs
A lack of government subsidized green energy
Math errors
Corporate jet owners
The Gulf oil spill
Millionaires and billionaires
Rich fat cats
Wall Street
Hedge fund managers
Some car that can't get out of the ditch
The debt limit
Congress and their resistance to spending more on stimulus programs
Vacationing in Las Vegas
The government shutdown
The American form of representative democracy
People who don't eat their peas
Everything else in the world except Timothy Geitner and himself
Feel free to add on more!
You forgot talk radio, and the people rooting against him.
Boy, did the S&P get hosed or what? Lowered the debt rating by one notch, and rightly so, and have been tied up in a multi-$billion$ dollar justice dept lawsuit ever since. Ouch.

United States

#171182 Nov 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I coming along, it verrry Interestinggggg , i willing give yo a hard shoe!:),.,,,,, Ab BWHAhhahahahaaa

United States

#171183 Nov 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
King kong? Or Ughlords? or?
MWHAHHAHahhahaaa

United States

#171184 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Always well dressed.
Grade School antics Dennis the Menace?

BAbbabababaaaa

United States

#171185 Nov 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Not only that, it's none of anybody elses business.
Business is my BUSINESS! NO if and butts about it, butt off?

BAHAHHAhaaaaa
lisw

Sardinia, OH

#171186 Nov 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Always well dressed.

I'm in heaven.
Lost In Transition

Gentry, AR

#171187 Nov 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Ridiculous! Next thing ya know, they'll try to change "illegal alien" to "undocumented worker". Or some congresswoman from some loony state will find offence with the word "Ma'am". Or Christmas trees will be re-named Holiday trees, or........

United States

#171188 Nov 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I played HS football with a kid named Jaycee Penny.
Always well dressed.
I'm in heaven.
Did you know

Heaven is hell and Hell is heaven?

:) Bbbababaaa

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min Crack Kills 38,622
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min atemcowboy 538,978
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Tide with Beach 733,001
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min Seraphima 599,925
Last Word + 2 19 min Hannah V 511
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min atheism is destru... 226,344
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 23 min Hannah V 1,009
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Dr_Zorderz 257,997
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 4 hr Figaro 105
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••