Bush is a hero
Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#169397 Oct 2, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
CC as long as your poor or middle class they are all our enemies. They are looking out for themselves and the rich are buying them off.
We need to make a stand as a nation to allow others a fair playing field in the elections. Our two party system has been boughten and we've been sold down the river..........
I agree bro.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#169399 Oct 2, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
If what I just posted is true we only have one party, names mean little to nothing.
Well gee, Chris, how long did THAT take you???

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#169400 Oct 2, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
No third party... time to get the Republican Party back to where it belongs.
Gloves off, Bobin.
What does the 'quintessential Republican' look like?
Where do you envision the Republican party in five years?
How many of 'Us Gals' do you see voting 'R' in the next Presidential election?(And will that be pro-active, or reactive?)
And why?
Lost In Transition

Big Stone Gap, VA

#169401 Oct 2, 2013
Trade and Persuasion

As we explained yesterday, there are two ways to get what you want. Force and violence on the one hand, or trade and persuasion on the other. By rape, or by romance.(Somewhere in the middle is fraud. But let’s ignore that for the moment.)
An economy is built on trade and persuasion. You have to do something that others will pay you for. You make something. You offer some service.
Others do the same – offering you something that you want. One makes a pair of shoes… another brews some beer. Oh, you know how it works!
But one part of the economy doesn’t work that way. That’s the part that the government controls. That part depends on brute force. No customer has to be satisfied. Ever.
No real want has to be addressed. No meeting of the minds between buyer and seller ever has to take place. You pay your taxes or the feds put you in jail. You do as you are told (no jokes allowed in the TSA line!) or they put you in prison.
“America has changed so much,” commented our French friend.“I used to visit every summer when I was a teenager. It was a rite of passage for the French. America was so free. So different from Europe. We would go to California and hitch-hike up and down the coast. It was the 1960s. Everyone was unbelievably friendly and open. I loved it.
“But I went back just this summer. It’s a different place. They treat you like a war criminal when you go through customs. And you wouldn’t think of hitch-hiking. People are still nice. But that spirit of freedom has disappeared. It’s a lot like Europe now, but with many more police.”
Yes, it is more like Europe, where government plays a larger role.
And now, would reducing the role of government really make people worse off?
Would less brute force in the economy really be such a disaster?
What if people only got more of what they really wanted.... only what they could get by honest manufacture, trade and commerce?
What if the zombies were cut back?
Would that be so bad?
Diary Of A Rogue Economist.

Since: Sep 08

Same as it ever was, ...

#169402 Oct 3, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
Trade and Persuasion
As we explained yesterday, there are two ways to get what you want. Force and violence on the one hand, or trade and persuasion on the other. By rape, or by romance.(Somewhere in the middle is fraud. But let’s ignore that for the moment.)
An economy is built on trade and persuasion. You have to do something that others will pay you for. You make something. You offer some service.
Others do the same – offering you something that you want. One makes a pair of shoes… another brews some beer. Oh, you know how it works!
But one part of the economy doesn’t work that way. That’s the part that the government controls. That part depends on brute force. No customer has to be satisfied. Ever.
No real want has to be addressed. No meeting of the minds between buyer and seller ever has to take place. You pay your taxes or the feds put you in jail. You do as you are told (no jokes allowed in the TSA line!) or they put you in prison.
“America has changed so much,” commented our French friend.“I used to visit every summer when I was a teenager. It was a rite of passage for the French. America was so free. So different from Europe. We would go to California and hitch-hike up and down the coast. It was the 1960s. Everyone was unbelievably friendly and open. I loved it.
“But I went back just this summer. It’s a different place. They treat you like a war criminal when you go through customs. And you wouldn’t think of hitch-hiking. People are still nice. But that spirit of freedom has disappeared. It’s a lot like Europe now, but with many more police.”
Yes, it is more like Europe, where government plays a larger role.

And now, would reducing the role of government really make people worse off?

Would less brute force in the economy really be such a disaster?

What if people only got more of what they really wanted.... only what they could get by honest manufacture, trade and commerce?

What if the zombies were cut back?
Would that be so bad?

Diary Of A Rogue Economist.
So many questions,...so little time.

And the band plays on,...
HipGnozizzz

Dahinda, IL

#169404 Oct 3, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
Trade and Persuasion
As we explained yesterday, there are two ways to get what you want. Force and violence on the one hand, or trade and persuasion on the other. By rape, or by romance.(Somewhere in the middle is fraud. But let’s ignore that for the moment.)
An economy is built on trade and persuasion. You have to do something that others will pay you for. You make something. You offer some service.
Others do the same – offering you something that you want. One makes a pair of shoes… another brews some beer. Oh, you know how it works!
But one part of the economy doesn’t work that way. That’s the part that the government controls. That part depends on brute force. No customer has to be satisfied. Ever.
No real want has to be addressed. No meeting of the minds between buyer and seller ever has to take place. You pay your taxes or the feds put you in jail. You do as you are told (no jokes allowed in the TSA line!) or they put you in prison.
“America has changed so much,” commented our French friend.“I used to visit every summer when I was a teenager. It was a rite of passage for the French. America was so free. So different from Europe. We would go to California and hitch-hike up and down the coast. It was the 1960s. Everyone was unbelievably friendly and open. I loved it.
“But I went back just this summer. It’s a different place. They treat you like a war criminal when you go through customs. And you wouldn’t think of hitch-hiking. People are still nice. But that spirit of freedom has disappeared. It’s a lot like Europe now, but with many more police.”
Yes, it is more like Europe, where government plays a larger role.
And now, would reducing the role of government really make people worse off?
Would less brute force in the economy really be such a disaster?
What if people only got more of what they really wanted.... only what they could get by honest manufacture, trade and commerce?
What if the zombies were cut back?
Would that be so bad?
Diary Of A Rogue Economist.
Looks to me like the author is mixing his metaphors here, bemoaning the loss of open borders and equating that to over-regulation of the economy. In any case, in the 60's, "rogue tourists" hadn't yet used our freedoms to enter the country, receive flight training, take weapons on to a plane, hijack them and fly them into buildings crammed with innocent people, all without breaking a single gov't regulation, at least up to the hijacking and flying into buildings part.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#169405 Oct 3, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
We lost the last election because a huge number of the base didn't show up.
There were other contributing factors but sticking to your statement for a moment, what does does that tell you about the >base?< It tells me they didn't think Romney leaned hard enough or far enough to the right to suit them, it tells me a lot of them thought he had either the wrong religion or wasn't religious enough and it tells me they're so entrenched in their no budge conservatism, their best idea was to extend Obama's lease to the White House for another 4 years.

If that's true (and you're saying it is,) I can't call them low information Americans because they were clearly informed enough to know he wasn't a hard core right Christian conservative, so hmm. Let's see. What can I call them?
Oh wait, I've got it.

They're idiots!

===
You know bobin, protesting political trends by standing in cement and letting it harden around your feet only leaves you stuck. Politics will continue on without you.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#169406 Oct 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
There were other contributing factors but sticking to your statement for a moment, what does does that tell you about the >base?< It tells me they didn't think Romney leaned hard enough or far enough to the right to suit them, it tells me a lot of them thought he had either the wrong religion or wasn't religious enough and it tells me they're so entrenched in their no budge conservatism, their best idea was to extend Obama's lease to the White House for another 4 years.
If that's true (and you're saying it is,) I can't call them low information Americans because they were clearly informed enough to know he wasn't a hard core right Christian conservative, so hmm. Let's see. What can I call them?
Oh wait, I've got it.
They're idiots!
===
You know bobin, protesting political trends by standing in cement and letting it harden around your feet only leaves you stuck. Politics will continue on without you.
You almost had me until this and this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Yes politics is a monster, but it is not a monster all on its own. Politicians have to play to an audience and the audience is us. If we don't like the show it may take time but the politics will change.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#169407 Oct 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
There were other contributing factors but sticking to your statement for a moment, what does does that tell you about the >base?< It tells me they didn't think Romney leaned hard enough or far enough to the right to suit them, it tells me a lot of them thought he had either the wrong religion or wasn't religious enough and it tells me they're so entrenched in their no budge conservatism, their best idea was to extend Obama's lease to the White House for another 4 years.
If that's true (and you're saying it is,) I can't call them low information Americans because they were clearly informed enough to know he wasn't a hard core right Christian conservative, so hmm. Let's see. What can I call them?
Oh wait, I've got it.
They're idiots!
===
You know bobin, protesting political trends by standing in cement and letting it harden around your feet only leaves you stuck. Politics will continue on without you.
Hey Lyndi, would you be so kind as to answer my question? Why can't your government use tax money to fund the healthcare system? What's the fuss all about?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#169408 Oct 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You almost had me until this and this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Yes politics is a monster, but it is not a monster all on its own. Politicians have to play to an audience and the audience is us. If we don't like the show it may take time but the politics will change.
What's so dumb about what Lyndi posted?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#169409 Oct 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You almost had me until this and this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Yes politics is a monster, but it is not a monster all on its own. Politicians have to play to an audience and the audience is us. If we don't like the show it may take time but the politics will change.
You Republicans here are a perfect mirror to what's going on in the Republican party at large.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#169410 Oct 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You almost had me until this and this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Yes politics is a monster, but it is not a monster all on its own. Politicians have to play to an audience and the audience is us. If we don't like the show it may take time but the politics will change.


You say, "it may take time" and TIME is something republicans can no longer afford. They don't have that luxury anymore, not with the reckless wonder in chief running the show and transforming the country as promised. Sometimes a party has to cram their candidate through the front door of the WH any way they can and FULL support of the party is mandatory in a tight election. Democrats KNOW that. Why don't republicans know that? It's politics 101. I thought everybody knew that.

If Romney wasn't every republicans idea of ideal, so what. It would have been better than the dysfuntional nightmare we have now. I thought all republicans believed that and I also thought they'd at least vote to get Obama OUT.

Anyway, who exactly do you think the "us" and "we" in this country are?
Obama 65+- million votes
Romney 60+- millon votes

Bobin said (and who knows if he knows what he's talking about but I'll go with it anyway) Bobin said, Romney lost because a huge number of the base stayed home, and knowing Romney lost by 5 million I will therefore assume that 5 million or so of what he calls BASE conservatives, stayed home. If that's the case, what are we calling the 60 million who voted for Romney? The fringe?
I'm not seeing how the 60 million who came out in favor of his moderate republican platform, make the 5 million who sat out the election the ---->"US" or "WE" or the "BASE."
Just by looking at the numbers, the US, WE, and BASE in America using a national election as a source, it's comprised of 60+- million moderate republicans AND 65+- million liberal democrats.
I don't know what that makes the 5 million who sat this dance out but mathamatically they aren't in my view a base of anything.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#169411 Oct 3, 2013
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) said that he was disappointed after meeting with President Obama at the White House on Wednesday afternoon, telling reporters,“The President is stubbornly refusing to end the crisis I created.”

“Government is about teamwork,” Mr. Boehner continued.“I’ve done my part by putting together an entirely optional crisis that has shut down the government and will throw thousands out of work. Now it’s up to the President to do his part by ending it.”

Mr. Boehner said that he was “flabbergasted” that the President was looking to him to bring the current government shutdown to an end:“So after doing all of the hard work to push the country to the brink, I’m supposed to pull it back, too? How about you pitching in a little, Mr. President?”

The House Speaker said that he hoped he did not have to manufacture an another entirely avoidable crisis over the debt ceiling in order to stir the President to action.“Quite frankly, orchestrating these unnecessary stalemates takes a lot of energy and I could really use a rest,” he said.

But Mr. Boehner seemed pessimistic that the President “got the message.”

“Because of my actions, thousands of federal workers have already been furloughed,” he said.“How many more people do I have to throw out on the street before the President wakes up?”

Since: Sep 08

Same as it ever was, ...

#169412 Oct 3, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Looks to me like the author is mixing his metaphors here, bemoaning the loss of open borders and equating that to over-regulation of the economy. In any case, in the 60's, "rogue tourists" hadn't yet used our freedoms to enter the country, receive flight training, take weapons on to a plane, hijack them and fly them into buildings crammed with innocent people, all without breaking a single gov't regulation, at least up to the hijacking and flying into buildings part.
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,...
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,...

All the Kings horses and all the kings men,...

Since: Sep 08

Same as it ever was, ...

#169413 Oct 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway, who exactly do you think the "us" and "we" in this country are?

Obama 65+- million votes
Romney 60+- millon votes
The “United” States?

Hmmmmm,…check please!

Since: Sep 08

Same as it ever was, ...

#169414 Oct 3, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lyndi, would you be so kind as to answer my question?
Why can't your government use tax money to fund the healthcare system?

What's the fuss all about?
<grin>

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#169415 Oct 3, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lyndi, would you be so kind as to answer my question? Why can't your government use tax money to fund the healthcare system? What's the fuss all about?
I answered that, what was wrong with my answer?

We spend far more than we take in in taxes, so we don't have any 'spare' tax dollars to fund a health care system that could be equal to half the tax $$$ we take in. Especially when we're already spending about a third more than we collect.

It's a matter of economics... we don't have the money.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#169416 Oct 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You Republicans here are a perfect mirror to what's going on in the Republican party at large.
If you're including me under that 'Republicans' umbrella, I'm not a Republican.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#169417 Oct 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) said that he was disappointed after meeting with President Obama at the White House on Wednesday afternoon, telling reporters,“The President is stubbornly refusing to end the crisis I created.”
“Government is about teamwork,” Mr. Boehner continued.“I’ve done my part by putting together an entirely optional crisis that has shut down the government and will throw thousands out of work. Now it’s up to the President to do his part by ending it.”
Mr. Boehner said that he was “flabbergasted” that the President was looking to him to bring the current government shutdown to an end:“So after doing all of the hard work to push the country to the brink, I’m supposed to pull it back, too? How about you pitching in a little, Mr. President?”
The House Speaker said that he hoped he did not have to manufacture an another entirely avoidable crisis over the debt ceiling in order to stir the President to action.“Quite frankly, orchestrating these unnecessary stalemates takes a lot of energy and I could really use a rest,” he said.
But Mr. Boehner seemed pessimistic that the President “got the message.”
“Because of my actions, thousands of federal workers have already been furloughed,” he said.“How many more people do I have to throw out on the street before the President wakes up?”
You seem a little weak recognizing satire, counselor. Are you really that obtuse, or did you think that others in here were that stupid that they'd believe that was true?

It must be sad to live in your world, with no humor.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#169418 Oct 3, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're including me under that 'Republicans' umbrella, I'm not a Republican.
Sorry.

Anti Obamans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Richard The Lion... 80,200
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min kent 701,539
Tronald Dump's Fascist NAZI Coup d'Etat 10 min Dang Jersey Piney 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min Dang Jersey Piney 995,766
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 20 min texas pete 2,539
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 26 min Prince of Darkness 6,869
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Dang Jersey Piney 448,396