Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#168893 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
1)The Socratic technique of debate was designed to elicit critical thinking, not specific responses.
2) You don't prove your point. It isn't written in stone that "avoiding responsibility, playing the victim, and a disproportionate sense of entitlement" are human failings. When one intentionally avoids responsibilty, intentionally plays the victim or knowingly has a disproportionate sense of entitlement, it has then become a premeditated (human) CHOICE not a failing. And if that is true, then a human failing in it's purest sense is making a genuine effort but not succeeding.
3) You skipped this one. Smart fellow.
===
If got to get you a little whistle and a black and white striped shirt.
1. The definition of Socratic method at dictionary.com is as follows:

the use of questions, as employed by Socrates, to develop a latent idea, as in the mind of a pupil, or to elicit admissions, as from an opponent, tending to establish a proposition.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/socrat...

In a political discussion in particular, there is a desire for specific responses from the person being questioned. It's that 'route' you referred to in your post.

2. Whether a human being by instinct or by deliberate choice "intentionally avoids responsibilty, intentionally plays the victim or knowingly has a disproportionate sense of entitlement", it's a human failing.

People fail. Liberals fail, conservatives fail, the completely apolitical fail.

Trying to seize on those failures and attempt to portray that as a characteristic of a particular political ideology is basic demagoguery 101, but it's a cheap parlor trick with no basis in fact.

3. What, exactly, was there to comment on? I've tried to explain that phony was a poor choice of words, and that I wasn't questioning the sincerity of your belief. I can't make you accept the explanation.
Roberta G

United States

#168894 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't know facts, so why would it bother them to not be current?
Good point.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168895 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't know facts, so why would it bother them to not be current?
Todays low information posters are tomorrows low information voters.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168896 Sep 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>1. The definition of Socratic method at dictionary.com is as follows:
the use of questions, as employed by Socrates, to develop a latent idea, as in the mind of a pupil, or to elicit admissions, as from an opponent, tending to establish a proposition.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/socrat...
In a political discussion in particular, there is a desire for specific responses from the person being questioned. It's that 'route' you referred to in your post.
2. Whether a human being by instinct or by deliberate choice "intentionally avoids responsibilty, intentionally plays the victim or knowingly has a disproportionate sense of entitlement", it's a human failing.
People fail. Liberals fail, conservatives fail, the completely apolitical fail.
Trying to seize on those failures and attempt to portray that as a characteristic of a particular political ideology is basic demagoguery 101, but it's a cheap parlor trick with no basis in fact.
3. What, exactly, was there to comment on? I've tried to explain that phony was a poor choice of words, and that I wasn't questioning the sincerity of your belief. I can't make you accept the explanation.
"The art of Socratic questioning is important for the critical thinker because the art of questioning is important to excellence of thought. What the word ‘Socratic’ adds is “systematicity”,“depth”, and a keen interest in assessing the truth or plausibility of things.

There is a special relationship between critical thinking and Socratic Questioning because both share a common end. Critical thinking gives one a comprehensive view of how the mind functions (in its pursuit of meaning and truth), and Socratic Questioning takes advantage of that overview to frame questions essential to the quality of that pursuit.

The goal of critical thinking is to establish a disciplined “executive” level of thinking to our thinking, a powerful inner voice of reason, to monitor, assess, and re-constitute — in a more rational direction — our thinking, feeling, and action. Socratic discussion cultivates that inner voice by providing a public model for it."

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/the-rol...
=====
You have made it clear that you're satisified with what you know and no further exploration is needed.
I hope I never get to that point.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#168897 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
It's kind of scary to see how clueless the young are... especially when you consider that they're our future.

Do you think this is what they're being taught in school, or is it what their peers are saying?

I don't know how many re-counts were done, both government and private, all proving that George W. Bush won Florida, but that fact doesn't seem to have sunk in.

President Bush took ages gathering multi-national and U.N. support for the invasion of Iraq. He also spent considerable time gaining overwhelming bi-partisan support of the Congress and the American people before taking action.

During that period, there were reports of Russian truck caravans moving materials at night into Syria. The fact that U.S. troops could not find huge stockpiles of WMD is not surprising, we only looked in Iraq. We also didn't find many of Saddam's aircraft in Iraq... we knew they were sent to Iran.

President Bush dotted all his "i's" and crossed all his "t's", but it gave Saddam the time he needed to move that which he didn't want found or destroyed.
Roberta G

United States

#168898 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you call the media who promotes a buffoon into a genius?
I've got it!

"DISCIPLES"

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#168899 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"The art of Socratic questioning is important for the critical thinker because the art of questioning is important to excellence of thought. What the word ‘Socratic’ adds is “systematicity”,“depth”, and a keen interest in assessing the truth or plausibility of things.
There is a special relationship between critical thinking and Socratic Questioning because both share a common end. Critical thinking gives one a comprehensive view of how the mind functions (in its pursuit of meaning and truth), and Socratic Questioning takes advantage of that overview to frame questions essential to the quality of that pursuit.
The goal of critical thinking is to establish a disciplined “executive” level of thinking to our thinking, a powerful inner voice of reason, to monitor, assess, and re-constitute — in a more rational direction — our thinking, feeling, and action. Socratic discussion cultivates that inner voice by providing a public model for it."
http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/the-rol...
=====
You have made it clear that you're satisified with what you know and no further exploration is needed.
I hope I never get to that point.
There is a considerable difference between rejecting the Socratic method outright and rejecting your use of it, or the way it is often employed in political discussions.

The question that sparked this conversation in the first place was "...I know you don't want to say outloud which political persuasion harbor those 3 traits more than the other but I'll ask anyway. Conservatives or liberals?".

I don't think either political persuasion harbors those traits more than the other. If I don't believe that either political persuasion harbors those traits more than the other, why should I play along with you? I mean, you've already set the stage for explaining away my answer with the suggestion that I know the truth but don't want to say it aloud, so what would the point be?

I'm all for critical thinking. What I'm opposed to is the notion that agreeing with me (or anyone else) is evidence that a person uses or is capable of critical thinking.

So ... no, Lyndi, I don't think I know enough and no longer need to think.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#168900 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
President Bush dotted all his "i's" and crossed all his "t's", but it gave Saddam the time he needed to move that which he didn't want found or destroyed.
How do you explain the fact that the United States Government reached the conclusion that there was nothing to move - that he had ended all WMD programs shortly after the Gulf War?

Location hidden

#168901 Sep 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>How do you explain the fact that the United States Government reached the conclusion that there was nothing to move - that he had ended all WMD programs shortly after the Gulf War?
Didn't you mean 'nothing MORE to move"?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#168902 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you mean 'nothing MORE to move"?
No, I did not.

I meant what I said, what the Iraq Survey Group said - there was nothing to move, that the stockpiles had been destroyed in the years immediately following the Gulf War.

Yes, I know we found 60-100 degraded weapons, a whole boat load of yellow cake uranium, and some other related stuff - but those were the remnants of long dead programs. Even assuming that the Iraqis followed the norm of making the WMD units of higher quality, that some stuff got lost or overlooked in the shuffle of a military supply system can't really surprise anyone.

I don't know how many millions of dollars and thousands of man hours the Iraq Survey Group poured into the search for Iraqi WMDs, but it's hard for me to believe that they wouldn't have been able to find evidence that there were supplies to be moved during the investigation.

(And no, if anyone wants to go there - that doesn't compare to thinking the programs were ongoing before the war. We weren't walking around interviewing, inspecting, etc. at that point.)

Look, as long ago as seven years the two individuals (Bush and Cheney) who arguably had the greatest interest in finding ongoing Iraqi WMD programs said there weren't any such programs. Why are you still arguing that they were right all along when they don't even think so?
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#168903 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted tex
Low info voters are people like you, want an intellectual challanged grunt supporters, brainless sheeople like you who pick same ol old same within Bipartisanship , u should had known the POTUS is picked not by majority of masses of Poor /middle class voters, it is picked and selected beforehand by those 4%,the elite US population who controls decides who is to be POTUS. And this applies to bobbin of texas still support political arena of one over the other and you really clueless about bipartisanshop-of-horror agendas ...!

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#168904 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
A brain.
Who opened the door to the 'Kids-R-Us' forum and let all these brats in?
Being the devout cynic that I am, I wonder if there's 'all these' brats, or one poster with multiple accounts, including several new ones.
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#168905 Sep 23, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you call the media who promotes a buffoon into a genius?
What else you listen to top geniuses buffoons , a long line of Propagandist machine , that;s right ,you warring right wingers Rush (Druggie] the LIMB AUGHT, Ant CULTler, SIN hannity the barbarian, a MiKe of SAVAGE nation ... that divide the nation and it people into group! U a mental genius of last degree for sure for sure! BAHAHAHahahhaaa not a commie fyi! BWHAHHAHahaaaaa

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#168906 Sep 23, 2013
Appearing at the International Women's Earth and Climate Summit in New York City, Ted Turner proposed “men be barred from political office. They could do everything else, be president of universities, business leaders, but they just couldn’t serve in any elected position for 100 years”

Ha ha. Thanks to the mouth of the south for another laugh. Still waiting for everyone to turn to cannibalism because of climate change or whatever the hacks call it today.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/20...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#168907 Sep 23, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Appearing at the International Women's Earth and Climate Summit in New York City, Ted Turner proposed “men be barred from political office. They could do everything else, be president of universities, business leaders, but they just couldn’t serve in any elected position for 100 years”
Ha ha. Thanks to the mouth of the south for another laugh. Still waiting for everyone to turn to cannibalism because of climate change or whatever the hacks call it today.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/20...
Two short words and some reading material for you and your pals here:

Ted Cruz.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...

Clearwater, FL

#168908 Sep 23, 2013
So since Jan 2009 when the dear leader came on the scene one of the lies from the extreme left is the tea party are terrorist groups. Reid once again today was spewing hate and lies on the Senate floor. Its a shame some are so fearful of a positions they won't debate on merit and do this. Meanwhile real terrorist across the globe have been quite busy.

Harry Reid Lashes Out at ‘Radical’ Senate Republicans:‘We’re Not Going to Bow to Tea Party Anarchists’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/ha...

Clearwater, FL

#168909 Sep 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Two short words and some reading material for you and your pals here:
Ted Cruz.
You do know you've been white sheeted? You and your bs are worthless.

Location hidden

#168910 Sep 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Two short words and some reading material for you and your pals here:
Ted Cruz.
Ted Cruz, he's something isn't he. Forcing all those 'big government' types off their butts, and making them listen to the American voters for a change. It's about time our representatives had to listen to the public.

Looking forward to having a few more just like him getting elected. The voters deserve to have people looking out for them, not just looking out for themselves. It's refreshing to have some Senators that don't think their primary job is getting re-elected.

Clearwater, FL

#168911 Sep 23, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted Cruz, he's something isn't he. Forcing all those 'big government' types off their butts, and making them listen to the American voters for a change. It's about time our representatives had to listen to the public.
Looking forward to having a few more just like him getting elected. The voters deserve to have people looking out for them, not just looking out for themselves. It's refreshing to have some Senators that don't think their primary job is getting re-elected.
McCane like our former liar Charlie Crist isn't much of a fan lol.

Which Longtime GOP Senator Apparently ‘F***ing Hates’ Ted Cruz?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/wh...

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#168912 Sep 23, 2013
Food fight between the House and Senate Republican Caucuses!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 6 min Clearwater 18,133
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Robert F 684,020
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 44 min Aerobatty 983,396
harthside COOKIES 1 hr i was there 1
Sexual Desires: My wife pooping in my mouth (Aug '13) 4 hr Mikeylikesit 29
Any women like to sit on guys faces and fart? (Feb '15) 6 hr Jimjim3100 21
Testing. 8 hr ImPeach 3
More from around the web