Lost In Transition

United States

#168327 Sep 13, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
Do we really think that anyone, much less Putin, would have "engineered" this >possible< deal, if the US threat hadn't pushed them to it? This regime has used gas >at least< 14 times, and the world yawned nervously. Where was Putin's "deal" prior to the threat of US intervention?
After being forced to concede that >all< of the pre-invasion justifications were shown to be false, this very forum will show instance after instance of Bush defenders falling back on Iraq's use of gas on their own citizens. Yet the very same thing just ten years later would have rated barely a tsk-tsk on the daily radar feed were it not for the President's lead in calling all the nations to live up to their vow to condemn and punish it's use.
We've seen snide partisan-driven comments about checkers vs chess. How's about the above for a chess move? How about a final move that maneuvered Syria's strongest ally into acting, or we should say, reacting? But! Even better, now Putin has put >Russian< credibility and prestige on the line to see that Syria follows through. Now, Russia, not the US, >owns< the result. If that means just one rogue nation is stripped of WMDs, what true citizen of humanity cares who gets the "credit"?
Hey, Hip. You gotta admit, the comments about how this goat-rope is shaking out have been anything but partisan. In fact, I've never seen any action by this president draw a more non-partisan reaction. Joe Klein, a Hillary supporter who has argued that the likes of Glenn Beck, Republican Senator Tom Coburn and former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin should be tried for sedition (hardly a Faux news partisan, eh) wrote this:

Obama Has “Damaged His Presidency And Weakened The Nation’s Standing In The World.”“He willingly jumped into a bear trap of his own creation. In the process, he has damaged his presidency and weakened the nation’s standing in the world.”“It has been one of the more stunning and inexplicable displays of presidential incompetence that I’ve ever witnessed. The failure cuts straight to the heart of a perpetual criticism of the Obama White House: that the President thinks he can do foreign policy all by his lonesome. This has been the most closely held American foreign-policy-making process since Nixon and Kissinger, only there’s no Kissinger.”(Joe Klein,“Obama And Styria: Stumbling Toward Damascus,” Time, 9/11/13)

I personally disagree with his assessment that "the presidency" and the nation's standing have been damaged. I think the only damage done has been to obama himself. I think the overwhelming opposition by the American people, which aligns with that of the world community, attests to that.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#168328 Sep 13, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Hip. You gotta admit, the comments about how this goat-rope is shaking out have been anything but partisan. In fact, I've never seen any action by this president draw a more non-partisan reaction.
Well, I don't have to admit it, I said that very thing in discussion with a friend recently, "One thing about it, this President has united the country on at least one issue." Please review. My statement about partisan-driven comment was specifically toward the foolish "chess/checkers" analogy. These inane analogies are naive and/or ideologically motivated, as opposed to truly caring about the outcome in Syria. I heard one radio entertainer gabbing about whether the President "wins" or "loses" in a vote before Congress. Is that what we've come to? The fate of innocent civilians, not to mention the question of international adherence to a WMD treaty, are all rolled up into gratuitous political wins and losses? Can we be more self-absorbed? Sad times, fer shur...

President Obama did not set the red-line, Congress and the international community did. His fault lies in idealistically stating it as if we all really meant it. How silly of him.
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>Joe Klein, a Hillary supporter who has argued that the likes of Glenn Beck, Republican Senator Tom Coburn and former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin should be tried for sedition (hardly a Faux news partisan, eh) wrote this:(Joe Klein,“Obama And Styria: Stumbling Toward Damascus,” Time, 9/11/13)

I personally disagree with his assessment that "the presidency" and the nation's standing have been damaged. I think the only damage done has been to obama himself. I think the overwhelming opposition by the American people, which aligns with that of the world community, attests to that.
You may be right. It's been said that this President does nothing not politically advantageous. This latest stand would seem to give lie to that charge. I think that people have not calmly assessed why the President would pursue something so opposed by the nation as well as the world. Could it be that President Obama actually believes all that rhetoric about a "beacon on a hill", humanitarian leadership, and American exceptionalism that we hear so much about.....

....when there's nothing on the line?
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168329 Sep 13, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't have to admit it, I said that very thing in discussion with a friend recently, "One thing about it, this President has united the country on at least one issue." Please review. My statement about partisan-driven comment was specifically toward the foolish "chess/checkers" analogy. These inane analogies are naive and/or ideologically motivated, as opposed to truly caring about the outcome in Syria. I heard one radio entertainer gabbing about whether the President "wins" or "loses" in a vote before Congress. Is that what we've come to? The fate of innocent civilians, not to mention the question of international adherence to a WMD treaty, are all rolled up into gratuitous political wins and losses? Can we be more self-absorbed? Sad times, fer shur...
President Obama did not set the red-line, Congress and the international community did. His fault lies in idealistically stating it as if we all really meant it. How silly of him.
<quoted text>You may be right. It's been said that this President does nothing not politically advantageous. This latest stand would seem to give lie to that charge. I think that people have not calmly assessed why the President would pursue something so opposed by the nation as well as the world. Could it be that President Obama actually believes all that rhetoric about a "beacon on a hill", humanitarian leadership, and American exceptionalism that we hear so much about.....
....when there's nothing on the line?
Well, that was one big load of hooey.

“The future begins”

every moment

#168330 Sep 13, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
The Putin NYT's editorial...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/opinion/put... ;
The White House non response...
http://www.businessinsider.com/vladimir-putin...
"Among other things, Putin wrote that there was "every reason to believe" the chemical-weapons attack on Aug. 21 was perpetrated not by the Syrian government, but by rebel forces. Of course, the White House has presented evidence that says the attack was carried out by the Assad regime — and that it killed 1,429 people, including 426 children."
I didn't see obama's White House present any "evidence" that Assad's regime launched the chemical attack. I heard obama, and his administration, "claim" that Assad launched the chemical weapons attacks....
There ya go - Putin's "reason to believe" trumps Obama's "evidence". Another example of incipient right-wing pro-Russian propaganda. Wait, what's this coming over the tele-type?

"Exclusive: U.N. Report Will Point to Assad Regime in Massive Chemical Attack" by Colum Lynch - Foreign Policy magazine, Sept.11, 2013

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/...

Ouch! Will we re-visit reactionary American support of Russia in the future? naaaaaah......not much we won't....;)
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168331 Sep 13, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Travolta is said to have a house here. Yet to see him. Of course this is the world headquarters of Scientology.
I don't know if you ever come down this way but if you do in the next few days, take Gulf of Mexico Drive. Every year since 2002 the road is lined with (2,974?) American flags, one about every 10 feet for each of the victims of 911. It goes on for a couple of miles - I live out on the island so I see it all the time but it never loses it's impact and it's worth coming down this way to see it.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168332 Sep 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really.
I started with no money, and ended up with a lot of money.
I got the best possible education, was careful in selecting career opportunities, worked hard, and earned it.
I owe it all to the values taught me by my parents. My heroes.
"I started..."
"I got..."
"I owe..."
You use the word (I) too often.

But you just can't resist, can you? The exact same point could have been made without using >yourself< in all your glory, as an example.
Your parents forgot to teach you one value which is very important. Humility. Don't always hunt for a way to make everything about ----->YOU. Go out of your way to avoid it.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#168333 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"I started..."
"I got..."
"I owe..."
But you just can't resist, can you? The exact same point could have been made without using >yourself< in all your glory, as an example.
Your parents forgot to teach you one value which is very important. Humility. Don't always hunt for a way to make everything about ----->YOU. Go out of your way to avoid it.
Boy, are you ever a pedant.

I was making a point.

I was.

And you know, that New England education didn't take too well. In your previous post, once again you don't know the difference between the possessive (its) and the contraction (it's).

I suggest time off from Topix and a remedial grammar course.

Humbly yours,

Catcher

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#168334 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't normally read Hips nonsense, but I was curious what you were responding to.

Reading it confirmed my previous position... do not read WIR's or Hip's posts... they're a waste of time.

“The future begins”

every moment

#168335 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine my surprise.

That's alright. Point/Counterpoint is the point. Apparently the right-wing's Muscovite hero du jour didn't give any fresh material for response. Just how do you say "hooey" in Russian?

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#168336 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"I started..."
"I got..."
"I owe..."
Doesn't Catcher remind you a lot of obama? It's always I, I, I, me, me, me. Very little use of the words we or us, although he's supposed to represent all of us.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168337 Sep 13, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Imagine my surprise.
That's alright. Point/Counterpoint is the point. Apparently the right-wing's Muscovite hero du jour didn't give any fresh material for response. Just how do you say "hooey" in Russian?
lol-
I don't think Russians have a word for hooey. They just say things like, "I will break you" and that seems to do the trick!
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168338 Sep 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, are you ever a pedant.
I was making a point.
I was.
And you know, that New England education didn't take too well. In your previous post, once again you don't know the difference between the possessive (its) and the contraction (it's).
I suggest time off from Topix and a remedial grammar course.
Humbly yours,
Catcher
You should learn to take criticism like a man. Attempting to transfer your embarrassment back onto me in the form of "yeah well, your grammar needs work and you should leave Topix" is called simple transference and considering how old you are, it's a ridiculously sophomoric response. And I might remind you, Buttercup, criticizing others is what you do all day, every day on the other forum...... only over there, you have the verbal skills to win without breaking into a sweat. Not quite so easy over here, is it?
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#168339 Sep 13, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't Catcher remind you a lot of obama? It's always I, I, I, me, me, me. Very little use of the words we or us, although he's supposed to represent all of us.
It's always about Obama.
It's always about Catcher.

Yep. I can see that. Good one, bobin!

United States

#168340 Sep 13, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.

To me it's a compliment,

Just so I don't remind you of Zimmerman.

United States

#168341 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
You should learn to take criticism like a man. Attempting to transfer your embarrassment back onto me in the form of "yeah well, your grammar needs work and you should leave Topix" is called simple transference and considering how old you are, it's a ridiculously sophomoric response. And I might remind you, Buttercup, criticizing others is what you do all day, every day on the other forum...... only over there, you have the verbal skills to win without breaking into a sweat. Not quite so easy over here, is it?
I am honored that you are my follower.

Your grammar does need some improvement, and I'm here to help.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#168342 Sep 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
To me it's a compliment,
Just so I don't remind you of Zimmerman.
Selfishness, self centeredness are compliments to you?

I guess that really doesn't surprise me.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#168343 Sep 13, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, like you, he prefers a challenge...be nice if he posed one occasionally...

When was the last time you posted a criticism-free rant, btw?

Just checking...

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#168344 Sep 13, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps, like you, he prefers a challenge...be nice if he posed one occasionally...
When was the last time you posted a criticism-free rant, btw?
Just checking...
You could look to the top of this page..........

You must a skipped that one........

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#168345 Sep 13, 2013
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Can't decide which is more ironically appropriate - the right-wing's polemically-driven myopic embrace of the leader of the communist world, or their trumpeting an "editorial" chock-full of Muscovite half-truths and disingenuous claims. Raised and suckled on Faux Noize teats for a generation now, it's no small wonder, I 'spose.....
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is what's at play here, not any actual allegiance to Moscow or admiration for Putin.

("Muscovite"? really? ain't seen that one on a message board before ;-)

I'm not sure how much Fox has to do with it, even if they are trumpeting the tune. You saw the same thing on the other side during the Iraq war - a mindless obsession with finding fault with a President you didn't vote for.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#168346 Sep 13, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is what's at play here, not any actual allegiance to Moscow or admiration for Putin.
("Muscovite"? really? ain't seen that one on a message board before ;-)
I'm not sure how much Fox has to do with it, even if they are trumpeting the tune. You saw the same thing on the other side during the Iraq war - a mindless obsession with finding fault with a President you didn't vote for.
You won't admit it but you are wrong on this. Fox is not in any way supporting the support of Putin. As for myself my poor husband had to get an earful about "how dare Putin treat our president that way." it's kind of like your own family. You can say what you want about the family member but no one else better say anything.
But I'm used to you and Hip making assumptions. For people who purport to dislike partisanship you are so partisan. And it seems to me it is liberals who were so sure that if the world didn't like Bush than we should not like Bush.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Karma is a_______ 775,010
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Peace_Warrior 604,977
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 27 min kent 559,392
Couch Potato Alert 33 min yon 2
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 50 min Grau 119,650
Last Word + 2 1 hr AliceBlue 976
need help to expose my south Asian girlfriend's... 1 hr petjrox 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 265,098
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web