“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#167056 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww. You poor baby. I hope the literature didn't damage your sexuality.
Some of you repressed, uptight losers actually go through the books, hunting for some sexy snippets to post on the website?
And surely you'd rather have firearms in the schools.
Didn't go looking for it, found a link from a friend. It must bother you that the so called charity of Gates does have quite the agenda attached. So much so I doubt its charity.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#167057 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We should ask Clearwater if he found any books with pictures in them, for his bedtime reading.
I really do pity any man at your level with such a mindset. If you are indeed honest. What a waste you are.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#167058 Aug 22, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar! You gave no such names.
I think he did... about two+ years ago.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#167059 Aug 22, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
shr "Of course they are capable..."
My apologies.
Don't let it happen again!
:)

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#167060 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww. You poor baby. I hope the literature didn't damage your sexuality.
Some of you repressed, uptight losers actually go through the books, hunting for some sexy snippets to post on the website?
And surely you'd rather have firearms in the schools.
!LROL! Now thass good, I don' care who y'are....

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#167061 Aug 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>!LROL! Now thass good, I don' care who y'are....
And teenagers nowadays are very well versed on sex.

Reminds me of a joke:

A dad goes to his preteen son and says "Son, we need to have a talk about sex."

The kid replies, "OK dad, what do you want to know?"

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#167062 Aug 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you were discussing, in between hand-pats, which really was comforting, thank you.
You might want to look again at just what I did say. See your mistake? I think it highly revealing that you took my inclusive "we couldn't discuss..." and turned it into a defensive "I couldn't discuss with you". Interesting, huh? I wonder what a psychologist would make of that?
In any case, obviously "we" includes both parts equally.
Back to the subject, again, you are speaking of your experience within the system. I'm not dismissing that empirical experience at all. It's valid of course, for individuals within the system, especially in the consumer class.
But this itself doesn't make one a "capitalist". Not even close. I don't presume to know your personal situation, but a capitalist exists for one thing - wealth.
For my side, I haven't been talking about capitalism as a social system, but an economic system. It's undeniable that the fundamentals of capitalism boil down to three things; pursuing wealth, accumulating wealth, and reinvesting wealth, in pursuit of more wealth, and so on. Job creation, philanthropy, production of value are all individual efforts, but unnecessary to creation of wealth. Pare everything unnecessary away, and that's what you're left with.
Is there anything to be gleaned from the fact that you won't address capitalism as an economic system?
And I think you're wrong. Capitalists often live for the idea of being able to contribute to the community, to employ people and be good to those employees. Now none of that happens without making money, but I disagree that "money" is the real goal.
I thought of something that almost everyone can relate to. You seem to think all people should be the same and not try to strive to be better. Everyone whether they are Star Trek Fans or not know about the Borg (sp?) Is that how you picture our economic system ideally being?

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#167063 Aug 22, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let it happen again!
Too late....

Location hidden

#167064 Aug 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>!LROL! Now thass good, I don' care who y'are....
You approve of Catcher suggesting Chris has some issues with sex because he is appalled by Pedophilia? Hm, I think I'm appalled by that.

Location hidden

#167065 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of a joke:
Pedophilia, rape etc are not "normal" sex. I hope you know that Catcher.

“The future begins”

every moment

#167066 Aug 22, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't go looking for it, found a link from a friend. It must bother you that the so called charity of Gates does have quite the agenda attached. So much so I doubt its charity.
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

"Pecola Breedlove, a young black girl, prays every day for beauty. Mocked by other children for the dark skin, curly hair, and brown eyes that set her apart, she yearns for normalcy, for the blond hair and blue eyes that she believes will allow her to finally fit in.Yet as her dream grows more fervent, her life slowly starts to disintegrate in the face of adversity and strife.

A powerful examination of our obsession with beauty and conformity, Toni Morrison's virtuosic first novel asks powerful questions about race, class, and gender with the subtlety and grace that have always characterized her writing."

We're talking about 11th grade - 17 years old at least. Leave it to the Puritans to completely leap over the themes of a book that's been around for 43 years and instead leer through it for cherry-picked content that gives them a stiffie, the surest barometer that they have found yet another evil they must save the world from.

Right after they finish the book, of course.

Notice also that a major reason that a book published in 1970 has just made the radar of the conservative blogorama.

Yeah, that damn bleeding heart Gates is behind it. It's his "agenda" you know. Can't have them homely black girls thinkin they pretty. Can't have them homely black girls thinkin at all.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#167067 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of a joke:
I'm a pretty open minded guy, but I gotta say - that Morrison book looks extreme for 11th grade classroom work, which is not an endorsement of the by-rote denunciations of Common Core and the imaginary enemy Simon bar Soooooooooooooooros.

Now, if you want to make a political statement you can include that in your curricula to piss off the people who can't pass up an opportunity to have a hissy fit about schools. That way significant resources of your school are diverted from providing an education.

It is, however, guaranteed work for some of you lawyer types.

Long Beach, CA

#167068 Aug 22, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You approve of Catcher suggesting Chris has some issues with sex because he is appalled by Pedophilia? Hm, I think I'm appalled by that.
All of us have some issues with sex.

It's a delicate subject.

Long Beach, CA

#167069 Aug 22, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Pedophilia, rape etc are not "normal" sex. I hope you know that Catcher.
I know it, and you know it, and any normal person knows it.

And that includes teenagers.

They know it too.

What are you afraid of? That they will endorse it?

Why?

“The future begins”

every moment

#167070 Aug 22, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to think....
Right there's where you go off-track, every time. Your ego is fed, while adding nothing to the exchange of ideas.

I've been talking the entire time, from the first post on-topic, about capitalism as an economic system. I've acknowledged the human element you bring forward, but you can't seem to return the courtesy. You seem to want to project that you either can't, or inexplicably won't, grasp the distinction, or acknowledge there even is a difference in talking about in terms of whole systems. Odd, really.....

Because I know you're an intelligent and well-read woman. Thus we can only conclude you just want to argue for it's own sake. Sorry, I already rode that ride, and paid my way off with half a house, an 85 Monte Carlo, and $410 a month.

Ni-Nite.

Location hidden

#167071 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All of us have some issues with sex.
It's a delicate subject.
Thinking non-consensual sex is horrible is not having an issue with sex. And I hardly think anyone should be delicate about it.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#167072 Aug 22, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>And I think you're wrong. Capitalists often live for the idea of being able to contribute to the community, to employ people and be good to those employees. Now none of that happens without making money, but I disagree that "money" is the real goal.
I thought of something that almost everyone can relate to. You seem to think all people should be the same and not try to strive to be better. Everyone whether they are Star Trek Fans or not know about the Borg (sp?) Is that how you picture our economic system ideally being?
Do you now or have you ever worked writing press releases for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce or hoped to engage in the flackery of the likes of Fleishman-Hillard?

I mean, seriously, lisw ... what Hip posted (three things; pursuing wealth, accumulating wealth, and reinvesting wealth, in pursuit of more wealth) is what was taught to me in Business Admin 101.

That's not to say that there are not capitalists/businessmen who are exactly like the rosy little picture you paint - but what you're doing is cherry picking.

Location hidden

#167073 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it, and you know it, and any normal person knows it.
And that includes teenagers.
They know it too.
What are you afraid of? That they will endorse it?
Why?
It's already been determined that teenagers brains are not fully developed. You know that, it's a defense attorney's greatest weapon in defending a young person. It is irresponsible to bring material to the classroom that has the potential to be a source of crime. I highly doubt that anyone thinks it's okay to make kids read about say murder, sado-masochism, or ritualistic abuse either.
Parents need to be able to have a say in this too. At 18 parents have no say anymore even though this country is trying very hard to keep kids kids, with them being on their parents insurance until 26 and not being able to find jobs so living at home sometimes into their thirties.

Location hidden

#167074 Aug 22, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Do you now or have you ever worked writing press releases for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce or hoped to engage in the flackery of the likes of Fleishman-Hillard?
I mean, seriously, lisw ... what Hip posted (three things; pursuing wealth, accumulating wealth, and reinvesting wealth, in pursuit of more wealth) is what was taught to me in Business Admin 101.
That's not to say that there are not capitalists/businessmen who are exactly like the rosy little picture you paint - but what you're doing is cherry picking.
You think I'm cherry picking because you like Hip have such a negative picture of capitalism. I wonder why. I guess for a bright gal I'm kind of dumb according to you.

Location hidden

#167075 Aug 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
"Pecola Breedlove, a young black girl, prays every day for beauty. Mocked by other children for the dark skin, curly hair, and brown eyes that set her apart, she yearns for normalcy, for the blond hair and blue eyes that she believes will allow her to finally fit in.Yet as her dream grows more fervent, her life slowly starts to disintegrate in the face of adversity and strife.
A powerful examination of our obsession with beauty and conformity, Toni Morrison's virtuosic first novel asks powerful questions about race, class, and gender with the subtlety and grace that have always characterized her writing."
We're talking about 11th grade - 17 years old at least. Leave it to the Puritans to completely leap over the themes of a book that's been around for 43 years and instead leer through it for cherry-picked content that gives them a stiffie, the surest barometer that they have found yet another evil they must save the world from.
Right after they finish the book, of course.
Notice also that a major reason that a book published in 1970 has just made the radar of the conservative blogorama.
Yeah, that damn bleeding heart Gates is behind it. It's his "agenda" you know. Can't have them homely black girls thinkin they pretty. Can't have them homely black girls thinkin at all.
You have a particularly nasty mind. I'm wondering if you're talking about yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Aura Mytha 263,361
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 4 min Johnny 889
Moses never existed 5 min thewordofme 510
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min RighteousRobert 96,670
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min Qu_innocence 603,508
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 8 min andet1987 1,250
Last Word + 2 14 min andet1987 942
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 26 min Dave Nelson 763,392
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min truth 554,571
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 11 hr prakash singh 134

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE