“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#166954 Aug 21, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Man, I can only wish I had the chops to frame my perspective in terms as cogent as you just did.
Thanks.
It ain't nothin. I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....;)

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166955 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer not gonna FAINT are ya?
Hell, bob, I might even SWOON.

Wanna watch?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166956 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you know exactly what I'm asking. I believe you saw it yesterday, and chose to ignore it, like yer doing right now.
So I brought it up again. Instead of dodging & dancing, just answer the question, if you are unafraid.
Extreme peacenik or warmonger? Those are yer only 2 choices.
I'm sorry.

I have to reject your two extreme choices.

I'm certainly not a warmonger, and I'm not an "extreme peacenick" either.

I'm somewhere in between.

Location hidden

#166957 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "show & tell" hissy fit accomplishes NOTHING. In this forum, people can post whatever they choose. And obviously anyone can respond accordingly. Since Conservatives and Indy's outnumber you Liberals, and Bush has been outta office for over 5 years, you now think it [odd] that when Bush is brought up, someone tells them "he's old news"?
Only problem is you misrepresented the truth (again). The Bush topic is NOT sent packin' ONLY when he is "disparaged" as you boldly declared. I told Yeller, that the particular sub-title HE chose has already been beat to death several times over, since Bush entered Afghan & Iraq. Not only that, I believe ALL other references to send the Bush topic packing, holds similar measurements. What YOU think in YOUR own little world does not always represent reality.
Rider didn't bring a Bush sub-title up, he posted a one-line statement in an effort to be humorous. That you didn't see a difference is NO surprise, genius. I've been somewhat underwhelmed with your intelligence lately, when you finally decide to "honor us with your wisdom".
So if you (or anyone else) wants to rehash a particular Bush subtitle again, who's gonna stop ye?
Oh and one more thing. Yer huffy display going back to bring up Antonyto was pretty lame, Spoonie! Stuff like that is why some choose to ignore you in here. Can't say as I blame them.
In case anyone failed to get the memo, badbob has banged the gavel on what bushisms are fair game on the 'Bushisahero' thread, and which are not. Subtitles. That's the verdict.

Bam.

Contempt of court will result in a date with the newest edition of the Whackadork, or whatever whacking device bob decides to employ this week.

*eyeroll*

Location hidden

#166958 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I really doubt we can have this conversation, but here goes.
I'm talking about the conceptual basis of capitalism. Before we go any further, grab any dictionary and look up the definition of capitalism. Then tell me how that does not epitomize, in the most basic sense, "the love of money". You cannot live in this country, in and a part of this system, without the pursuit and acquisition of wealth, on a small or large scale, in it's many forms, be they currency or property. In the bigger picture, you, and I, and the majority, are not "capitalists" in the strictest sense of the word. We do not accumulate "capital" and re-invest it, with an eye towards more accumulation, EXCEPT through our retirement plans, modest investments, and acquisitions. Even so, we do so because we must, because it is necessary, because this capitalist economy is based on "the love of money".
Aside for thought: When the European came to this country, one of the advantages they had over the indigenous people, is that the Indians had little to no concept of "owning" the land. Thus they were easy prey to the speculators and treaties that bereft them of millions of acres of land. We might be embarrassed by the treatment they received, but it was the budding capitalist system that was the driver.
Say it ain't so, Joe...

“The future begins”

every moment

#166959 Aug 21, 2013
“History suggests only that capitalism is a necessary condition for political freedom. Clearly it is not a sufficient condition.“ - Milton Friedman

Location hidden

#166960 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>It ain't nothin. I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night....;)
Yer killin' me Smalls...

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#166961 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I like money just fine, and so do you. Some like it less, many like it much, much more, but only the odd person you may know who lives "off the grid" is even close to truly independent.
Let me ask this - can one be "independent" in America without the pursuit of money? Can one of high ideals about humanity pursue money without making some compromises in principle along the way? When one sets out to be "independent", is it truly through their own efforts, or must they insert themselves into the system in order to achieve some semblance of "independence"? Unless you found your own secret gold-mine, exactly how "independent" are you?
I'm about as independent as you can get. Oh yes I know the gov't built those bridges and roads that I drive over to get what I need. but I also paid a boatload of taxes that hired those people that built those roads. In a modern society you use what is made available. I've always been a fan of the bartering system. As a counselor I would have gladly provided my services for a sack of potatoes or a chicken, but that isn't what has been established and I'm only one person. No I don't like money or love it. I like and love people. Money is just another bartering system.
Capitalism no matter the definition is a way for people to not only get what they need but what they want. The Obama administration is trying to establish a system that gives everyone not just what they need but what they want. Problem is that without capitalism you cannot create the kind of money that gives everyone what they want for free. And the people can't get those things without having to trade something for it.(barter) What they trade is their independence.

“The future begins”

every moment

#166962 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>Say it ain't so, Joe...
Boiling it back to the instigation of this topic, Capitalist and Christian ideals are incompatible as "belief systems", without extensive "interpretation". Cognitive dissonance at it's finest. Each is fingernails on a chalkboard to the other.

In my most humble opinion.

;)

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#166963 Aug 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heaven?
What's that?
Heaven's a place that I doubt you'll never see.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#166964 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>In case anyone failed to get the memo, badbob has banged the gavel on what bushisms are fair game on the 'Bushisahero' thread, and which are not. Subtitles. That's the verdict.
Bam.
Contempt of court will result in a date with the newest edition of the Whackadork, or whatever whacking device bob decides to employ this week.
*eyeroll*
Lashing out now, huh. Temper temper.

“The future begins”

every moment

#166965 Aug 21, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm about as independent as you can get. Oh yes I know the gov't built those bridges and roads that I drive over to get what I need. but I also paid a boatload of taxes that hired those people that built those roads. In a modern society you use what is made available. I've always been a fan of the bartering system. As a counselor I would have gladly provided my services for a sack of potatoes or a chicken, but that isn't what has been established and I'm only one person. No I don't like money or love it. I like and love people. Money is just another bartering system.
Capitalism no matter the definition is a way for people to not only get what they need but what they want. The Obama administration is trying to establish a system that gives everyone not just what they need but what they want. Problem is that without capitalism you cannot create the kind of money that gives everyone what they want for free. And the people can't get those things without having to trade something for it.(barter) What they trade is their independence.
Barter is still nothing more than an exchange of wealth at an arbitrary but agreed-upon relative value of the items and/or services exchanged.

Bringing it back to the basic question, capitalism is based upon the pursuit, accumulation, and re-investment of wealth. "Money" is only one form of Wealth, but the primary one in the modern capitalist system. Therefore, a capitalist system is fundamentally based upon "the love of money".

Is all I've been saying.

Location hidden

#166966 Aug 21, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
We just went with Dish. Our cable system, Brighthouse owned by tw wouldn't fix 20 year old equipment.
Sounds about right. It almost seems like they're trying to down-size their customer base. We'll be changing services shortly... we were planning on switching even before Time-Warner dropped CBS.

“The future begins”

every moment

#166967 Aug 21, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Will wonders never cease?! Sounds like TXbob is assured of your place in heaven, Catch!

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#166968 Aug 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry.
I have to reject your two extreme choices.
I'm certainly not a warmonger, and I'm not an "extreme peacenick" either.
I'm somewhere in between.
Oh but those are not MY extreme choices. Those choices belong to
yer troll pal Global Idiot. I mean c'mon chaser, he's only been parotting that for the last 5 years.(And yes I DO know you haven't been here that long). You've been around long enough to see what your pal spews up incessantly.

All of us are "somewhere in between" as you just stated. But YOU
are now officially a WARMONGER, and are now subject to the same
hacked-up-English insults as the rest of us.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#166969 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>Yer killin' me Smalls...
Yeah. He's a regular HOOT ain't he?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#166970 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Barter is still nothing more than an exchange of wealth at an arbitrary but agreed-upon relative value of the items and/or services exchanged.
Bringing it back to the basic question, capitalism is based upon the pursuit, accumulation, and re-investment of wealth. "Money" is only one form of Wealth, but the primary one in the modern capitalist system. Therefore, a capitalist system is fundamentally based upon "the love of money".
Is all I've been saying.
Keep saying it. Maybe if you say it often enough it will become true.(patting your hand)

Location hidden

#166971 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>Hell, bob, I might even SWOON.
Wanna watch?
Yea. Hold on a second while I get NSA to turn on your computer's camera.

Location hidden

#166972 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Boiling it back to the instigation of this topic, Capitalist and Christian ideals are incompatible as "belief systems", without extensive "interpretation". Cognitive dissonance at it's finest. Each is fingernails on a chalkboard to the other.
In my most humble opinion.
;)
In any case, someone finally decided to discuss the ideas in the post I offered, without complaining that the shoe fit too tight....

'Preciate it.

:)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166973 Aug 21, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
That's quite all right.

I have no need to believe in a heaven, or in any sort of afterlife.

I am comfortable and happy living the most fulfilling life I can, accepting that I have a limited time here and the time will come for all of us to depart and leave the future to our children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Dally Mama 774,944
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min hojo 559,330
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 14 min Watcher 6
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min who 265,091
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 17 min PROUD MALAYALI 1,258
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 25 min AN NFL FAN 119,647
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min lil whispers 604,958
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web