Bush is a hero

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#166965 Aug 21, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm about as independent as you can get. Oh yes I know the gov't built those bridges and roads that I drive over to get what I need. but I also paid a boatload of taxes that hired those people that built those roads. In a modern society you use what is made available. I've always been a fan of the bartering system. As a counselor I would have gladly provided my services for a sack of potatoes or a chicken, but that isn't what has been established and I'm only one person. No I don't like money or love it. I like and love people. Money is just another bartering system.
Capitalism no matter the definition is a way for people to not only get what they need but what they want. The Obama administration is trying to establish a system that gives everyone not just what they need but what they want. Problem is that without capitalism you cannot create the kind of money that gives everyone what they want for free. And the people can't get those things without having to trade something for it.(barter) What they trade is their independence.
Barter is still nothing more than an exchange of wealth at an arbitrary but agreed-upon relative value of the items and/or services exchanged.

Bringing it back to the basic question, capitalism is based upon the pursuit, accumulation, and re-investment of wealth. "Money" is only one form of Wealth, but the primary one in the modern capitalist system. Therefore, a capitalist system is fundamentally based upon "the love of money".

Is all I've been saying.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#166966 Aug 21, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
We just went with Dish. Our cable system, Brighthouse owned by tw wouldn't fix 20 year old equipment.
Sounds about right. It almost seems like they're trying to down-size their customer base. We'll be changing services shortly... we were planning on switching even before Time-Warner dropped CBS.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#166967 Aug 21, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Heaven's a place that I doubt you'll never see.
Will wonders never cease?! Sounds like TXbob is assured of your place in heaven, Catch!

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#166968 Aug 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry.
I have to reject your two extreme choices.
I'm certainly not a warmonger, and I'm not an "extreme peacenick" either.
I'm somewhere in between.
Oh but those are not MY extreme choices. Those choices belong to
yer troll pal Global Idiot. I mean c'mon chaser, he's only been parotting that for the last 5 years.(And yes I DO know you haven't been here that long). You've been around long enough to see what your pal spews up incessantly.

All of us are "somewhere in between" as you just stated. But YOU
are now officially a WARMONGER, and are now subject to the same
hacked-up-English insults as the rest of us.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#166969 Aug 21, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Yer killin' me Smalls...
Yeah. He's a regular HOOT ain't he?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#166970 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Barter is still nothing more than an exchange of wealth at an arbitrary but agreed-upon relative value of the items and/or services exchanged.
Bringing it back to the basic question, capitalism is based upon the pursuit, accumulation, and re-investment of wealth. "Money" is only one form of Wealth, but the primary one in the modern capitalist system. Therefore, a capitalist system is fundamentally based upon "the love of money".
Is all I've been saying.
Keep saying it. Maybe if you say it often enough it will become true.(patting your hand)

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#166971 Aug 21, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Hell, bob, I might even SWOON.
Wanna watch?
Yea. Hold on a second while I get NSA to turn on your computer's camera.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166972 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Boiling it back to the instigation of this topic, Capitalist and Christian ideals are incompatible as "belief systems", without extensive "interpretation". Cognitive dissonance at it's finest. Each is fingernails on a chalkboard to the other.
In my most humble opinion.
;)
In any case, someone finally decided to discuss the ideas in the post I offered, without complaining that the shoe fit too tight....

'Preciate it.

:)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166973 Aug 21, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Heaven's a place that I doubt you'll never see.
That's quite all right.

I have no need to believe in a heaven, or in any sort of afterlife.

I am comfortable and happy living the most fulfilling life I can, accepting that I have a limited time here and the time will come for all of us to depart and leave the future to our children.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166974 Aug 21, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm about as independent as you can get.
You just keep believing that, if it makes you feel better about yourself....

(patting your head.)

aaaaaaaaaaaaand cue bob.........

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166975 Aug 21, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea. Hold on a second while I get NSA to turn on your computer's camera.
I've had it covered with a swatch of duct tape ever since I first plugged this sucker in...have at it.

:)

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#166976 Aug 21, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>In any case, someone finally decided to discuss the ideas in the post I offered, without complaining that the shoe fit too tight....
'Preciate it.
:)
Well, for my part, somebody finally introduced a topic that engendered a bit of discussion rather than partisan angst and ad personum bile.

'Preciate dat.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166977 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh but those are not MY extreme choices. Those choices belong to
yer troll pal Global Idiot. I mean c'mon chaser, he's only been parotting that for the last 5 years.(And yes I DO know you haven't been here that long). You've been around long enough to see what your pal spews up incessantly.
All of us are "somewhere in between" as you just stated. But YOU
are now officially a WARMONGER, and are now subject to the same
hacked-up-English insults as the rest of us.
I accept full responsibility for every one of my posts, but no responsibility whatsoever for anybody elses's posts. Not his, not yours, not anybody's.

The views expressed in my posts are mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the views of this station or of any other poster.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166978 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Lashing out now, huh. Temper temper.
The latest iteration of the 'whackadork' seems a little mushy in the throwing arm...you might want to tweak that mainspring a bit, bob.

Just a thought...

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166979 Aug 21, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. He's a regular HOOT ain't he?
Much to your evident chagrin, and pooly disguised envy, there ain't much 'regular' about HipG...

Eat your heart out, bob...you ol' regular guy you...

:)

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166980 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, for my part, somebody finally introduced a topic that engendered a bit of discussion rather than partisan angst and ad personum bile.
'Preciate dat.
De nada.

*tips hat*

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#166981 Aug 21, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Keep saying it. Maybe if you say it often enough it will become true.(patting your hand)
Cloying condescension aside, this is why I said I doubt we'd be able to have this discussion on the same plane. I'm talking about systems, and you're talking about personal interpretations. Over the years you are endearingly consistent. You may well take that the wrong way, and it can't be helped. I don't mean it so, but I won't demean you either with patronization, and never have, just for the pretense of rapport.

It's very simple, I think.
Define "capitalism".
Apply Occam's Razor, paring away everything unnecessary for it to function.
What's left?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#166982 Aug 21, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Cloying condescension aside, this is why I said I doubt we'd be able to have this discussion on the same plane. I'm talking about systems, and you're talking about personal interpretations. Over the years you are endearingly consistent. You may well take that the wrong way, and it can't be helped. I don't mean it so, but I won't demean you either with patronization, and never have, just for the pretense of rapport.
It's very simple, I think.
Define "capitalism".
Apply Occam's Razor, paring away everything unnecessary for it to function.
What's left?
Tsk, tsk now don't get personal there Hip. But seriously I took the discussion to a manageable level. In my masters program it was a valid way of testing, called single case design recognized by medical and government people alike. What is true for one often translates to the many, just as what is true for many often translates to the one. It also is quite useful in talking to people about their problems. Humanizing things is better I believe then the textbook approach. But then that is just my opinion. I was discussing with you Hip. I'm truly sorry that my method is not to your liking, but I was being quite serious. it's just a little petulant don't you think for you to say " I knew I couldn't discuss with you" without you looking at what your part might be in that.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166983 Aug 21, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Tsk, tsk now don't get personal there Hip. But seriously I took the discussion to a manageable level. In my masters program it was a valid way of testing, called single case design recognized by medical and government people alike. What is true for one often translates to the many, just as what is true for many often translates to the one. It also is quite useful in talking to people about their problems. Humanizing things is better I believe then the textbook approach. But then that is just my opinion. I was discussing with you Hip. I'm truly sorry that my method is not to your liking, but I was being quite serious. it's just a little petulant don't you think for you to say " I knew I couldn't discuss with you" without you looking at what your part might be in that.
You started fine.

Then, your condescending tone kicked in.
Clearwater

Hollywood, FL

#166985 Aug 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I'd be thrilled if you could give a definition of capitalism that doesn't embrace the pursuit, accumulation, and re-investment of wealth, i.e. "the love of money".
I would hope all would agree there is some modicum of humanity in Christianity. There is no humanity in capitalism. This is not a dig, but a simple definitive fact. Even the teabaggers saint Ayn Rand understood that. It's a scientific theory, with no more humanity than, say, electricity. It's humans that take both electricity and capitalism and make what they want of it, for better or worse. You can build an electric chair, or a surgical device, with electricity. Likewise with capitalism. In and of itself, it has no feeling, no sense of right/wrong, no humanity.
But at the core of it is "the love of money".
Bs. I've been blessed to do quite well in this system and can tell you I have no love of money. I even said that once in an interview, didn't get that job. I do agree that in itself it can be used for good or bad but feel its the closest thing on earth to let man pursue freedom. I would love it if people that speak of Jesus being a socialist would explain the parable of the talents to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Justise_League 864,119
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min confrinting with ... 599,510
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 10 min janeebee 6,422
The Christian Atheist debate 11 min ChristineM 1,960
News Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) 18 min Burke Devlin 151
Is Obama Really Black? (Jul '09) 25 min Burke Devlin 33
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 35 min rohit 447
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Great Day of Arma... 612,898
More from around the web