Since: Jul 07

every moment

#165264 Jul 16, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck
By Angela Johnson June 24, 2013
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Roughly three-quarters of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with little to no emergency savings, according to a survey released by Bankrate.com Monday.
Fewer than one in four Americans have enough money in their savings account to cover at least six months of expenses, enough to help cushion the blow of a job loss, medical emergency or some other unexpected event, according to the survey of 1,000 adults. Meanwhile, 50% of those surveyed have less than a three-month cushion and 27% had no savings at all.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/24/pf/emergency-...
Woe is most of the country.
Oh, the fun we can have with selective data, esp. when we know the target audience, eh?

You know, the paradox in the info above is that, historically, lower savings rates tend to correspond to an increase in spending, ie, consumer confidence. A little proof, you say? Well, when did we see the highest savings rate in the last ten years? That would be about Fall 2008. What was going on then?

Let's compare further - what was the savings rate in, say, Spring '05? Things were "all good" then, right? PSR hovered around 1.5%, at one point briefly dipping below 1%, as I recall.

Since at least the 1960's, living beyond our means is actually a positive econmoic indicator. Not a healthy personal finance strategy, by any means, at least not by my lights, but I tend to be financially conservative compared to the average. But as a national economic indicator, suitable for use in partisan polemics? Not so much.

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#165265 Jul 16, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, the fun we can have with selective data, esp. when we know the target audience, eh?...
Hiya Hip. Glad to see you're still around, and apparently still sane!

Taking a cruise through the old haunts; it's been a long time. I see my favorite thread is a writhing wriggling mass of trolls...'tis a pity.

Anyway, just sayin' hey!

“The future begins”

every moment

#165266 Jul 16, 2013
Matt from Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiya Hip. Glad to see you're still around, and apparently still sane!
Taking a cruise through the old haunts; it's been a long time. I see my favorite thread is a writhing wriggling mass of trolls...'tis a pity.
Anyway, just sayin' hey!
Hey yourself, and well met, Levi! Gooda "see" ya still knockin' about. An even keel or two is what's sorely needed, and sadly lacking, in those parts, fer shur, fer shur. But we had our time, and the day and the night were the sixth day, and it was good. Wishing the best to you and yours.
Peace.
HipG

“The future begins”

every moment

#165267 Jul 16, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion has been about abortion at 20 weeks and later.
I'm sorry, between the spam and the knee-jerk ad personum drivel, there may have a discussion about Brazilian vs Colombian coffee, for all I know. We all of us, or most of us, only have so much time in the day for leisure, and I don't find the patience anymore to weed thru such as the propriety of the President's underwear (I think you missed that riveting discussion) and stream-of-(barely)consciousnes s blather about historical US crimes against the world.

In the short time I did have, my post was an inquiry to the admittedly snide comment as to what "thinking and caring for all God's children" entails. If it begins at conception, and ends at birth, then for all practical purposes, it appears just a pose. It appears to me an obvious charge, as it apparently appears to all, since it received multiple clumsy misdirections, but not one reply directly on the question. The criticism would at least be negated by those few who oppose abortion, but also support any and all programs, public and private, that demonstrably benefit living children.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#165268 Jul 16, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry, between the spam and the knee-jerk ad personum drivel, there may have a discussion about Brazilian vs Colombian coffee, for all I know. We all of us, or most of us, only have so much time in the day for leisure, and I don't find the patience anymore to weed thru such as the propriety of the President's underwear (I think you missed that riveting discussion) and stream-of-(barely)consciousnes s blather about historical US crimes against the world.
In the short time I did have, my post was an inquiry to the admittedly snide comment as to what "thinking and caring for all God's children" entails. If it begins at conception, and ends at birth, then for all practical purposes, it appears just a pose. It appears to me an obvious charge, as it apparently appears to all, since it received multiple clumsy misdirections, but not one reply directly on the question. The criticism would at least be negated by those few who oppose abortion, but also support any and all programs, public and private, that demonstrably benefit living children.
Can't abort them all. Need plenty to run their war machine.
barry didn't win that Nobel Peace Prize fer nuthin, ya know.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165269 Jul 16, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry, between the spam and the knee-jerk ad personum drivel, there may have a discussion about Brazilian vs Colombian coffee, for all I know. We all of us, or most of us, only have so much time in the day for leisure, and I don't find the patience anymore to weed thru such as the propriety of the President's underwear (I think you missed that riveting discussion) and stream-of-(barely)consciousnes s blather about historical US crimes against the world.
You won't be finding approval for any of that Commie tripe up in here...disapproval of abortion abounds, but any subsidy which benefits living children, I've discovered, is either categorized as 'subsidizing the lazy', or 'government control of one's life'.

Homey don' play dat.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#165270 Jul 17, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, the fun we can have with selective data, esp. when we know the target audience, eh?
You know, the paradox in the info above is that, historically, lower savings rates tend to correspond to an increase in spending, ie, consumer confidence. A little proof, you say? Well, when did we see the highest savings rate in the last ten years? That would be about Fall 2008. What was going on then?
Let's compare further - what was the savings rate in, say, Spring '05? Things were "all good" then, right? PSR hovered around 1.5%, at one point briefly dipping below 1%, as I recall.
Since at least the 1960's, living beyond our means is actually a positive econmoic indicator. Not a healthy personal finance strategy, by any means, at least not by my lights, but I tend to be financially conservative compared to the average. But as a national economic indicator, suitable for use in partisan polemics? Not so much.
You didn't really address the '76%' part, Hip. That number is pretty high.
Brio

London, UK

#165272 Jul 17, 2013
Well, so much people hate him. Still remember the flying shoes or something.

ah.. confuse LOL.
barb

Braidwood, IL

#165273 Jul 17, 2013
It's not about "OIL", it's about protecting the big Companies!
Bush was all about protecting all his buddies who own billion dollar industries overseas. Never mind that our soldiers were being killed so these companies can safely stay there and make their money at our expense.
He bled us dry for all the wrong reasons.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

#165274 Jul 17, 2013
Brio wrote:
Well, so much people hate him. Still remember the flying shoes or something.
ah.. confuse LOL.
Did they stop teaching English in London?

BTW, those people that "hated" President Bush so much, took the journalist outside and beat the daylights out of al-Zaidi for embarrassing the Iraqi people. Prime Minister Maliki tried to protect President Bush from al-Zaidi's shoes. al-Zaidi's fellow journalists immediately apologized to the President for the incident, and the Iraqi judicial system sentenced al-Zaidi to years in prison, of which he actually served nine months.

And yes, you are confused.

#165275 Jul 17, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>You won't be finding approval for any of that Commie tripe up in here...disapproval of abortion abounds, but any subsidy which benefits living children, I've discovered, is either categorized as 'subsidizing the lazy', or 'government control of one's life'.
I suppose that's why there are so many more people that are dependent on government programs today... because we're cutting their benefits? Hmmmmm.
Homey don' play dat.
Homey needs to think, not emote.

Location hidden

#165276 Jul 17, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that's why there are so many more people that are dependent on government programs today... because we're cutting their benefits? Hmmmmm.
<quoted text>
Homey needs to think, not emote.
HE certainly does - and reducing the number of people on public assistance by cutting the funds, and changing eligibility requirements, rather than addressing the causes of need, is a stopgap. Not a solution. The end result will be more starving children. I'm sure Jesus is very proud.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Clearwater and Honolulu

#165278 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>HE certainly does - and reducing the number of people on public assistance by cutting the funds, and changing eligibility requirements, rather than addressing the causes of need, is a stopgap. Not a solution. The end result will be more starving children. I'm sure Jesus is very proud.
What a surprise. Yet another person that out of one side of her mouth says that Jesus is a farce and like most will use Him when it suits them. Have you put your money where your mouth is yet? Again here are a few places to start.

http://endhunger.com
http://feedingamerica.org/
http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServe...
http://compassion.com

Clearwater and Honolulu

#165279 Jul 17, 2013
So how about that Rolling Stones cover. I know, by saying something I prove the stunt worked. Good on Cvs drugs for saying they will not have it. They just moved ahead of Walgreens for me.

#165281 Jul 17, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
What a surprise. Yet another person that out of one side of her mouth says that Jesus is a farce and like most will use Him when it suits them. Have you put your money where your mouth is yet? Again here are a few places to start.
http://endhunger.com
http://feedingamerica.org/
http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServe...
http://compassion.com
I didn't make $4 million last year, but somehow I managed to donate more to charitable organizations, of my choice, than VP Joe Biden.

Location hidden

#165282 Jul 17, 2013
I prefer to give time, attention, and FOOD, rather than cash, to those in need. That way, I know my help is going where I want it to go, rather than to CEO salaries.

#165283 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>HE certainly does - and reducing the number of people on public assistance by cutting the funds, and changing eligibility requirements, rather than addressing the causes of need, is a stopgap. Not a solution. The end result will be more starving children. I'm sure Jesus is very proud.
Rather than depending on a government that is going broke for handouts to feed, clothe and house your family, I think getting a job(s) would be far more helpful towards taking care of one's children and responsibilities. That, and closing one's legs if they can't afford to have those children. Chosing a responsible person with good work ethics to marry would go a long way towards giving those children a good home life too.

Is asking people to accept personal responsibility for their actions really being unreasonable?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#165284 Jul 17, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather than depending on a government that is going broke for handouts to feed, clothe and house your family, I think getting a job(s) would be far more helpful towards taking care of one's children and responsibilities. That, and closing one's legs if they can't afford to have those children. Chosing a responsible person with good work ethics to marry would go a long way towards giving those children a good home life too.
Is asking people to accept personal responsibility for their actions really being unreasonable?
"The measure of a society is the dignity with which it treats its weakest members." Javier Perez de Cuellar, former UN Secretary-General.

#165285 Jul 17, 2013
I prefer to give time, attention, and FOOD, rather than cash, to those in need. That way, I know my help is going where I want it to go, rather than to CEO salaries.
I know what you mean there. Some of those administrative costs, including officer salaries, are outrageous. We make sure that most of our donations are going to those we intend to support, not to inflated administration fees.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#165286 Jul 17, 2013
Well that is good indeed. So I'll say I'm sorry. We don't agree on issues of faith but many of the people that come in at my office don't either. We are thankful for all the help we get.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min seriously the ori... 538,798
Albright Blasts Bush Mideast Response, Cites Ir... (Jul '06) 5 min Swedenforever 45
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Buck Crick 732,779
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 16 min Flower-Child 53,189
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 20 min Thinking 226,284
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 27 min Falcon 733
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 33 min Tuco Blondie 117,957
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min Porkpie Hat 257,859
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 599,839
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••