157,061 - 157,080 of 173,320 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164471 Jul 6, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Squirrels also make for great targets.
Fish think bobbins are TERRIFIC targets. Especially laced with (an) old crank.

:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=eorsSj Dr1Ts

Location hidden

#164472 Jul 6, 2013
miner49er wrote:
With the reference to the Khmer Rouge killing fields circa 1975 are you suggesting that America Invaded Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos to prevent Pol Pot from killing civilians?
Amazing, our war on Vietnam began before 1961, and Cambodia was never mentioned as a justification for war.
"Operation 34A (full name, Operational Plan 34A, also known as OPLAN 34Alpha) was a highly-classified U.S. program of covert actions against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV or North Vietnam), consisting of agent team insertions, aerial reconnaissance missions and naval sabotage operations. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_34A
You probably believe that whole Tonkin Gulf BS... it's as bad as Hitler claiming Poles attack on a German Army radio outpost as an excuse to invade Poland.
Some of us...
(oh schneikes..........I've gotten into hot water with that phrase...)

Aren't in favor of stuff which could be construed as "anti-Murican"
when referring to foreign police actions...

Just so you know.
Lost In Transition

United States

#164473 Jul 6, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Why are giant rodents 'gross'?
Most rodents, individually, have wonderful personalities.
At least, in my experience, since I've yet to encounter one which was uninvited.
So sheltered, me....
Here's a beauty:

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

It's a naked mole rat. Recently scientists using them for medical research have found something interesting. They can't get cancer. They've hit them with radiation, drugs, herbicides, pesticides, even direct injections of live cancer cells. Nada. Appears their cells are flush with a long-chain molecule called hyaluronan which cancer proofs them. Scientists believe they may have found the holy grail of preventing cancer, my guess is the likes of Pfizer and Merck see it as a holy headache. We'll see who wins.

Location hidden

#164474 Jul 7, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a beauty:
It's a naked mole rat. Recently scientists using them for medical research have found something interesting. They can't get cancer. They've hit them with radiation, drugs, herbicides, pesticides, even direct injections of live cancer cells. Nada. Appears their cells are flush with a long-chain molecule called hyaluronan which cancer proofs them. Scientists believe they may have found the holy grail of preventing cancer, my guess is the likes of Pfizer and Merck see it as a holy headache. We'll see who wins.
Now that's a face only a mother mole rat could love.

:)

As for cancer cures, there are a lot - few of which are legal in this country. Don't get me started.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

#164475 Jul 7, 2013
<quoted text>Fish think bobbins are TERRIFIC targets. Especially laced with (an) old crank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Xgs2u3ZQfX4httpXX://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=eorsSjDr1Ts
You're bringing back old memories... I used to work with a magneto. And yes, they could really light you up!

Location hidden

#164476 Jul 7, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
You're bringing back old memories... I used to work with a magneto. And yes, they could really light you up!
Contrary to popular opinion, I'm occasionally good for something....

:)

“zero nuclear weapons”

Since: Sep 08

Perryville

#164477 Jul 7, 2013
miner49er wrote:
"Funny how he mentions Nixon's secret war but he conveniently leaves out what China and the Russians were doing in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos."
You draw a false equivilency here.
Are you saying Russia/China's actions somehow authorized Nixon to ignore the Constitution and conduct wars without Congressional approval?
Fascinating...
"Khmer Rouge leader accepts responsibility for Cambodia's Killing Fields"
Precisely, the "killing fields" were not the US's responsibility
"miner49er wrote:
"Yep and Cambodia fared so much better when the US left Vietnam.""
Nope, miner49er was NOT the author of that sentance, I just quoted it in my reply (note the quotation marks I rmployed).
Other countries killing their citizens is regrettable... But we bear responsibility for thousands of civilian deaths in countries we had no business invading.
Are you revisionists trying to justify the US involvement in Vietnam?
Fascinating...
You are forgetting one big thing China and the Russians had leaders that could do anything they wanted. But here in America President Nixon needed to inform members of congress which he never did.

“"Tanners Flat" U dummy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#164478 Jul 7, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text!

How bout some updates...,you got nothing but old news and no news masquerading as news we can use.

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#164479 Jul 7, 2013
miner49er wrote:
"Funny how he mentions Nixon's secret war but he conveniently leaves out what China and the Russians were doing in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos."
You draw a false equivilency here.
Are you saying Russia/China's actions somehow authorized Nixon to ignore the Constitution and conduct wars without Congressional approval?
Fascinating...
"Khmer Rouge leader accepts responsibility for Cambodia's Killing Fields"
Precisely, the "killing fields" were not the US's responsibility
"miner49er wrote:
"Yep and Cambodia fared so much better when the US left Vietnam.""
Nope, miner49er was NOT the author of that sentance, I just quoted it in my reply (note the quotation marks I rmployed).
Other countries killing their citizens is regrettable... But we bear responsibility for thousands of civilian deaths in countries we had no business invading.
Are you revisionists trying to justify the US involvement in Vietnam?
Fascinating...
Miner I get tired of trying to cut through your inability to hit reply and to figure out who said what to whom.

Nixon carried on the bombings that Johnson started in 1965. Cambodia was allowing Vietcong supply dumps on its soil.

http://www.history.com/topics/operation-rolli...

We had signed a treaty with South Vietnam and had taken on the responsibility of defending her in 1961.

Colorado

#164480 Jul 7, 2013
<quoted text>Some of us...
(oh schneikes..........I've gotten into hot water with that phrase...)
Aren't in favor of stuff which could be construed as "anti-Murican"
when referring to foreign police actions...
Just so you know.
I am not pro Vietnam War but I get tired of it being portrayed as only Nixon's war. There were two other Presidents involved. Cambodia also didn't start with Nixon but with Johnson. As to whether the war was illegal or legal?

I have many many friends who were in the war and they sacrificed years of their lives and friends and family to that war. I have a couple of friends who's relatives were POWs never to be heard from again. One who was traced back to China and then lost. I have met some of the Boat People and seen the Hmong that live in the Fresno area and realize their lives are forever changed because of the superpowers who decided to have a proxy war in their neighborhood.

Colorado

#164481 Jul 7, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
World's largest rodent. Saw some at the Fresno Zoo long ago.
http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/
They are kinda cute.

Colorado

#164482 Jul 7, 2013
<quoted text>My mom has a peach tree she's been pampering for 14 years, and this year, it finally produced some peaches....the squirrels are in heaven.
She's building a wooden skeleton around the tree, to deter them.
Necessity is the mother of invention....
I wish her good luck...squirrels are also REALLY smart.
I wish her the best of luck. It seems pretty darn near impossible to stop a determined squirrel.

Colorado

#164483 Jul 7, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a beauty:
That is one ugly critter. I hope we don't have to look like that in order to make us cancer proof!

Colorado

#164484 Jul 7, 2013
miner49er wrote:
With the reference to the Khmer Rouge killing fields circa 1975 are you suggesting that America Invaded Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos to prevent Pol Pot from killing civilians?
Amazing, our war on Vietnam began before 1961, and Cambodia was never mentioned as a justification for war.
"Operation 34A (full name, Operational Plan 34A, also known as OPLAN 34Alpha) was a highly-classified U.S. program of covert actions against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (DRV or North Vietnam), consisting of agent team insertions, aerial reconnaissance missions and naval sabotage operations. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_34A
You probably believe that whole Tonkin Gulf BS... it's as bad as Hitler claiming Poles attack on a German Army radio outpost as an excuse to invade Poland.
Shawcross was challenged by Peter Rodman as follows:
When Congress, in the summer of 1973, legislated an end to U.S. military action in, over, or off the shores of Indochina, the only U.S. military activity then going on was air support of a friendly Cambodian government and army desperately defending their country against a North Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge onslaught...What destabilized Cambodia was North Vietnam's occupation of chunks of Cambodian territory from 1965 onwards for use as military bases from which to launch attacks on U.S. and South Vietnamese forces in South Vietnam. Cambodia's ruler Prince Sihanouk complained bitterly to us about these North Vietnamese bases in his country and invited us to attack them (which we did from the air in 1969–70). Next came a North Vietnamese attempt to overrun the entire country in March–April 1970, to which U.S. and South Vietnamese forces responded by a limited ground incursion at the end of April...The outcome in Indochina was not foreordained. Congress had the last word, however, between 1973 and 1975.[39]

Kissinger in an interview with Theo Sommer defended the bombing, saying:
"Now, with respect to Cambodia, it is another curious bit of mythology. People usually refer to the bombing of Cambodia as if it had been unprovoked, secretive U.S. action. The fact is that we were bombing North Vietnamese troops that had invaded Cambodia, that were killing many Americans from these sanctuaries, and we were doing it with the acquiescence of the Cambodian government, which never once protested against it, and which, indeed, encouraged us to do it. I may have a lack of imagination, but I fail to see the moral issue involved and why Cambodian neutrality should apply to only one country. Why is it moral for the North Vietnamese to have 50,000 to 100,000 troops in Cambodia, why should we let them kill Americans from that territory, and why, when the government concerned never once protested, and indeed told us that if we bombed unpopulated areas that they would not notice, why in all these conditions is there a moral issue? And, finally, I think it is fair to say that in the six years of the war, not ten percent of the people had been killed in Cambodia than had been killed in one year of Communist rule."[citation needed]
Documents uncovered from the Soviet archives after 1991 reveal that the North Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia in 1970 was launched at the explicit request of the Khmer Rouge and negotiated by Pol Pot's then second in command, Nuon Chea
When Phnom Penh was under siege by the Khmer Rouge in 1973, the US Air Force again launched a bombing campaign on Communist forces, claiming that it had saved Cambodia from an otherwise inevitable Communist take-over and that the capitol might have fallen in a matter of weeks.

By 1975, President Ford was predicting "an unbelievable horror story"[41] if the Khmer Rogue took power, and calling on Congress to renew air support for the Lon Nol regime, which it refused to do.

Seeing as how you made it okay to use Wikki I did too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Menu
miner49er

Meadow Bridge, WV

#164485 Jul 7, 2013
Pernie, I appreciate your thoughtful comment.
I don't dispute the terrible conflicts in SEA that led to millions of deaths over the last 100 years.

But the US had our chance to get on the right side of history with Ho Chi Minh in 1945 and instead we aligned ourselves with colonial French business interests (it was all abut natural resources including the Michelin rubber plantations).
Uncle Ho had helped defeat the Japanese (Remember Pearl Harbor?) and asked for US support acheiving Vietnamese independance...

"In April 1945 Ho met with the OSS agent Archimedes Patti and offered to provide intelligence to the allies provided that he could have "a line of communication with the allies." [22] The OSS agreed to this and later sent a military team of OSS members to train Ho's men and Ho himself was treated for malaria and dysentery by an OSS doctor.[23]
Following the August Revolution (1945) organized by the Viet Minh, Ho became Chairman of the Provisional Government (Premier of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam) and issued a Proclamation of Independence of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.[24] Although he convinced Emperor Bao Dai to abdicate, his government was not recognized by any country. He repeatedly petitioned American President Harry S. Truman for support for Vietnamese independence,[25] citing the Atlantic Charter, but Truman never responded."

A free and independent Vietnam would have offered America a democratic ally in Indochina to offset Red China.
Instead, we provided support to the French colonial interests who had dominated Vietnam since 1867.

So after WWII, the US sold 'ol Ho down the river... to support France's corporate oppression.

"Following the Japanese defeat, the French returned to take possession of their colony. Their entrance into Vietnam was only permitted by the Viet Minh after assurances had been given that the country would gain independence as part of the French Union. Discussions broke down between the two parties and in December 1946, the French shelled the city of Haiphong and forcibly reentered the capital, Hanoi."

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/vietnamwa...

Oh yes, Johnson escalated the war, the military-industrial complex made sure of that...

I could suggest a text that many have found informative, "The Pentagon Papers" By Daniel Ellsberg.

You might also want to research Robert McNamera, SecDef '61 -'68 and primary architect of the Vietnam War.
He recanted in 1995.

"McNamara's memoir, In Retrospect, published in 1995, presented an account and analysis of the Vietnam War from his point of view. According to his lengthy New York Times obituary, "[h]e concluded well before leaving the Pentagon that the war was futile, but he did not share that insight with the public until late in life. In 1995, he took a stand against his own conduct of the war, confessing in a memoir that it was 'wrong, terribly wrong.'" In return, he faced a "firestorm of scorn" at that time.[3]
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 Errol Morris documentary consisting mostly of interviews with Robert McNamara and archival footage. In this documentary he referred to the Vietnam War and he said, "None of our allies supported us. Not Japan, not Germany, not Britain or France. If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."

Colorado

#164487 Jul 7, 2013
miner49er wrote:
I don't dispute the terrible conflicts in SEA that led to millions of deaths over the last 100 years.
But the US had our chance to get on the right side of history with Ho Chi Minh in 1945 and instead we aligned ourselves with colonial French business interests (it was all abut natural resources including the Michelin rubber plantations).
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 Errol Morris documentary consisting mostly of interviews with Robert McNamara and archival footage. In this documentary he referred to the Vietnam War and he said, "None of our allies supported us. Not Japan, not Germany, not Britain or France. If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
I don't care what led up to Vietnam, my frustration with you has been that you were laying everything at the feet of Nixon without dealing with Johnson or Kennedy. The problem with Vietnam went all the way back to the end of WWII and the way the Allies partitioned Vietnam. No one is innocent and Ho was no saint. It's not just Good Year Rubber Company it was also the times these things took place. America was extremely and rightly fearful of Communism and it's rampant spread. Unfortunately it is much more like cancer than the flu and it is not easily stopped. We need to realize that so much of what makes the West arguably independent of tyrants and kings does not exist in other cultures. So much of the government we have established for ourselves comes through Western culture and history.

I get the same kind of rankled when Reagan is accused of creating the Mujahadeen/Taliban when in reality Jimmy Carter began arming them.

I hope the US sees a pattern with us and other countries setting up governments and taking sides in regional fights. I have not seen it turn out for good in my lifetime and in reading history I see that failure is a common theme (the only theme). We get involved in other's fights and we end up the bad guy. I am not a total isolationist but I have a healthy amount of wishing us to stay out of the domestic squabbles of the world. Now, if we could get the other players to agree to that we would all be able to enjoy life. How do we get them to stay out?

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#164488 Jul 7, 2013
miner49er wrote:
In reading your post, I have to wonder a) how much you actually know about Ho, and b) how much you actually know about the post WWII era.

I ask because to naively claim the U.S. COULD have gotten on the right side of a USSR (and Chinese communist) trained revolutionary like Ho, suggests you don't know much about him.

To claim that our decision to aid the French was motivated by neo-colonial economic considerations alone demonstrates a profound lack of knowledge of the postwar period, particularly the track record of other USSR trained revolutionaries like Ho.

There are any number of things to criticize in U.S. policy and actions in Vietnam from 1945 forward, but what you're putting out here isn't even in the ballpark.

Colorado

#164489 Jul 7, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>In reading your post, I have to wonder a) how much you actually know about Ho, and b) how much you actually know about the post WWII era.
I ask because to naively claim the U.S. COULD have gotten on the right side of a USSR (and Chinese communist) trained revolutionary like Ho, suggests you don't know much about him.
To claim that our decision to aid the French was motivated by neo-colonial economic considerations alone demonstrates a profound lack of knowledge of the postwar period, particularly the track record of other USSR trained revolutionaries like Ho.
There are any number of things to criticize in U.S. policy and actions in Vietnam from 1945 forward, but what you're putting out here isn't even in the ballpark.
I was hoping you'd chime in. Well said WWW.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#164490 Jul 7, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>In reading your post, I have to wonder a) how much you actually know about Ho, and b) how much you actually know about the post WWII era.

Miner, if I were you I'd respect Willie's knowledge of the Vietnam era generally and especially of the war itself. The man is not only a genuine Vietnam veteran himself, but also a walking encyclopedia on the subject. He's an expert. And Pernie is no slouch either.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#164491 Jul 7, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Miner, if I were you I'd respect Willie's knowledge of the Vietnam era generally and especially of the war itself. The man is not only a genuine Vietnam veteran himself, but also a walking encyclopedia on the subject. He's an expert. And Pernie is no slouch either.
I'm not a Vietnam vet. I went on active duty in December, 1973, by which time the U.S. had withdrawn virtually all combat troops.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min stephania 600,366
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min marge 539,675
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Dr_Zorderz 258,260
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min nanoanomaly 734,188
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 7 min superwilly 69,797
lesbian sexting 7 min kazi_k 9
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 10 min MUQ1 36,770
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min superwilly 226,601
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••