Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#164237 Jul 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange our news doesn't seem to cover such things. Ah well. Too busy going through the garbage cans of the Palins and Becks to bother I guess.
Woe is you.
miner49er

Crawley, WV

#164238 Jul 3, 2013
"Gee, I wonder what will happen to not only quality of life but life expectancy rates in this a/c free world libs are working towards?"

Well Chris, here in Appalacia, we alreasdy have a much shorter life expectancy:

"While the average life expectancy for America as a whole increased between 1987-2007 (from 73.7 to 75.6 years for men, and from 79.6 to 80.8 years for women), rural areas are not faring nearly as well. As this interactive map shows, nearly all of Appalachian Kentucky has seen a decline in life expectancy, along with southern West Virginia, far southwest Virginia and southeastern Ohio. Women in particular face the most decline: in Owsley County, KY, life expectancy for women dropped 1.1%(to 76.1 years, more than four years below the national average), while for men it stayed the same - though considering they die 7.4 years earlier than the average American man, that's still nothing to crow about."

http://www.appalachiantransition.org/content/...

Coal mining is associated with early mortality:

"In this study, residents in counties with mountaintop removal coal mining reported an average of 18 more unhealthy days (poor physical, mental, and activity limitation) per year as compared to other counties:“…approximately 1,404 days, or almost four years, of an average American lifetime.” The authors state that these results contribute to the evidence base in support of the EPA’s April 2010 decision to make new mountaintop removal coal mining permits more difficult to obtain.
Zullig, KJ. and M. Hendryx.(2011)“Health-Related Quality of Life Among Central Appalachian Residents in Mountaintop Mining Counties.” American Journal of Public Health. 101, 5 (2011): 848-53."

http://ilovemountains.org/the-human-cost/stud...

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#164239 Jul 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Those disabled workers, widows, and miner49ers are really going to be well off when the coal mines shut down and the companies go completely out of business. That'll show those big nasty coal companies just who means business.(Colorado is also a coal state).
Yep. When Sen Sheldon Whitehouse took to the Sen floor after tornadoes hit Oklahoma he let it rip. It was rare to hear this but even for a lib he took the cake. In part he blames the south and the "polluters" for climate change and storms. So no libs are polluters? He said he was sorry the next day. Not so much, just sorry people heard him.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/20/democratic-...

Clearwater and Honolulu

#164240 Jul 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's talk Benghazi
Indeed.

http://www.libertynews.com/2013/05/benghazi-t...

Clearwater and Honolulu

#164241 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woe is you.
Please give me that white paper. I'm done with you, have zero respect for you and anything you say.

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#164242 Jul 3, 2013
miner49er wrote:
"Gee, I wonder what will happen to not only quality of life but life expectancy rates in this a/c free world libs are working towards?"
Well Chris, here in Appalacia, we alreasdy have a much shorter life expectancy:
"While the average life expectancy for America as a whole increased between 1987-2007 (from 73.7 to 75.6 years for men, and from 79.6 to 80.8 years for women), rural areas are not faring nearly as well. As this interactive map shows, nearly all of Appalachian Kentucky has seen a decline in life expectancy, along with southern West Virginia, far southwest Virginia and southeastern Ohio. Women in particular face the most decline: in Owsley County, KY, life expectancy for women dropped 1.1%(to 76.1 years, more than four years below the national average), while for men it stayed the same - though considering they die 7.4 years earlier than the average American man, that's still nothing to crow about."
http://www.appalachiantransition.org/content/...
Coal mining is associated with early mortality:
"In this study, residents in counties with mountaintop removal coal mining reported an average of 18 more unhealthy days (poor physical, mental, and activity limitation) per year as compared to other counties:“…approximately 1,404 days, or almost four years, of an average American lifetime.” The authors state that these results contribute to the evidence base in support of the EPA’s April 2010 decision to make new mountaintop removal coal mining permits more difficult to obtain.
Zullig, KJ. and M. Hendryx.(2011)“Health-Related Quality of Life Among Central Appalachian Residents in Mountaintop Mining Counties.” American Journal of Public Health. 101, 5 (2011): 848-53."
http://ilovemountains.org/the-human-cost/stud...
If you shut down the coal mines what will they do? How will they live at all? Their families have been there for two hundred years. You don't just uproot an indigenous population and send them ... where? Those hills are all they have ever known. While everyone rails against the coal companies no one, least of all the Prez, thinks about what the end result for these people will be.

Colorado

#164243 Jul 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange our news doesn't seem to cover such things. Ah well. Too busy going through the garbage cans of the Palins and Becks to bother I guess.
Our media is silent. The priest is not the only one. These rebels have been at it pretty consistently.
Another Christian they beheaded and fed to dogs:
Christian Andrei Arbashe, 38, was kidnapped and beheaded by rebel fighters in northern town of Ras Al-Ayn on the Turkish border
News came as pro-government forces celebrated their victory against rebels near Aleppo Airport
Syrian rebels beheaded a Christian man and fed his body to dogs, according to a nun who says the West is ignoring atrocities committed by Islamic extremists.
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shru...

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164244 Jul 3, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullscat! NONE of yer A-list of off-topics dominated the thread like the abortion issue (or Bible Study 101).
Doesn't matter who STARTED the runaway train. Once it gets a certain distance down the track, it's time to reroute the d@mn thing.
And since BadBob Industries built the track, badbob gets to decide when that 'certain distance' has been reached, is that the idea?

Never mind. How bout we all just sit quietly, and wait for some benighted Floridian to work up a frenzy about falling orange prices, and why it's all the President's fault that the grass isn't greener over his septic tank...or maybe some brave soul from Colorado can come up with an interesting tidbit concerning prayer in schools, and how if we don't get it back in there soon, the Muslims will eat New York, and circumcise all the women in Georgia...

Sheesh...

Colorado

#164245 Jul 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
I have also heard that the murder was not what was intended. It was supposed to be a kidnapping but because of the CIA men that refused to stand down, things got bloody. That our government's intention was for him to be kidnapped. They needed a reason to let the Blind Sheikh go and get him back to Egypt to help prop up Morsi's government.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/29/m...

Clearwater and Honolulu

#164246 Jul 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Our media is silent. The priest is not the only one. These rebels have been at it pretty consistently.
Another Christian they beheaded and fed to dogs:
Christian Andrei Arbashe, 38, was kidnapped and beheaded by rebel fighters in northern town of Ras Al-Ayn on the Turkish border
News came as pro-government forces celebrated their victory against rebels near Aleppo Airport
Syrian rebels beheaded a Christian man and fed his body to dogs, according to a nun who says the West is ignoring atrocities committed by Islamic extremists.
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shru...
True. I don't understand how (or why) the left in this nation side with a worldview that murders homosexuals, and often in very painful ways. And like you say most here can't be bothered but what happened with Zimmerman today?

Colorado

#164247 Jul 3, 2013
miner49er wrote:
No, Pernrider quoted my post to Lyndi about the editorial in post #169219, I was addressing both of them to point out the inconsistant conservative position.
Jackass right back atcha!
Fascinating...
Most Conservatives want us out of the ME. There is no strategy for victory, no real idea of why we're there or what our goal is. I thought Obama ramped it up to get Osama but we're still there.
John McCain is an idiot for wanting to arm the rebels. But that would not be the only reason he's an idiot.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#164248 Jul 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's talk Benghazi
Didn't realize this was a "rhetorical" question at first, Mary.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#164249 Jul 3, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>And since BadBob Industries built the track, badbob gets to decide when that 'certain distance' has been reached, is that the idea?
Nah, Bad didn't build the track.

There is this special concept, been around for some time now, but likely NEW to you. Lotsa folks refer to it as "common sense".

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#164250 Jul 3, 2013
'common sense' ain't so common, bob.
are you standing next to miner, wondering how long the rain is going to last?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#164251 Jul 3, 2013
miner49er wrote:
Bobbi, you're quick with the name-calling but let's hear your thoughts:
Should America give military aid to Assad or the rebels?
You see. I put your msg up above mine but you can put it down below your reply too, if it makes ya feel better, Ernest T., like this:(Course there'll only be need for one).
miner49er wrote:
Bobbi, you're quick with the name-calling but let's hear your thoughts:
Should America give military aid to Assad or the rebels?
Now I don't mind answerin' the question. But I damn sure ain't about to answer a question from some backwoods banjo beater who (1) refuses to comply with standard operating procedures (SOP) so that exchanges are specific and not more difficult than they have to be.

And (2) is some yahoo that believes Texas is NOT part of the United States.

In the 5+ years posting here, I've already had my fill of circular logic, and merry-go-round riders.

Yer welcome to try again when yer ready to return to earth.
miner49er

Oakvale, WV

#164252 Jul 3, 2013
"If you shut down the coal mines what will they do?"

There are many economic alternatives including recreation and culural tourism.
Whitewater rafting, rockclimbing, hiking, etc.
Civil War battlefields, Native American sites and pioneer settlements.

Not to mention Marcellus and Utica shale gas production, construction of wellpads, pipelines and compressor stations requiring construction, operation and maintenence.

Fracking is aproblem but shale gas is still 10x cleaner than coal.

And no 8 billion gallon toxic slurry impoundments taller than the Hoover Dam looming over our communities.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#164253 Jul 3, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
'common sense' ain't so common, bob.
are you standing next to miner, wondering how long the rain is going to last?
Nope. We're in the 4th consecutive day of a miserable heat wave.
Freakin' high pressure system is stuck.

Last 4 days: 109-111-110-109 and all I have is a swamp cooler.

I see Redding is doing a little worse at 114, etc. Curse this
lousy weather, BH.

Colorado

#164254 Jul 3, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't realize this was a "rhetorical" question at first, Mary.
Not intentionally. I was trying to use it to spark conversation and theories. Jump in!

Colorado

#164255 Jul 3, 2013
miner49er wrote:
"If you shut down the coal mines what will they do?"
There are many economic alternatives including recreation and culural tourism.
Whitewater rafting, rockclimbing, hiking, etc.
Civil War battlefields, Native American sites and pioneer settlements.
Not to mention Marcellus and Utica shale gas production, construction of wellpads, pipelines and compressor stations requiring construction, operation and maintenence.
Fracking is aproblem but shale gas is still 10x cleaner than coal.
And no 8 billion gallon toxic slurry impoundments taller than the Hoover Dam looming over our communities.
How long have you lived in WV?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#164256 Jul 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Conservatives want us out of the ME. There is no strategy for victory, no real idea of why we're there or what our goal is.
It's my understanding we're there to keep the bad guys from re-organizing and taking the country back again. It's bad for the Afghan people and gives terrorists another foothold.

The main problem is the Afghans are not all that interested in securing their OWN country, and hafta almost be prodded like cattle
to allow themselves to be trained, so that they DO have the capacity to fight for themselves.

Another big problem is Pakistan. Corrupt forces and agencies there
give aid & comfort to the Taliban and other terrorists, and US drones will never be able to control them. Sanctions and halting funding immediately are the last hopes we have (IMO).

But it's still uphill from there even.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min truth 607,250
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min truth 796,164
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 28 min AussieBobby 267,536
Scientific proof for God's existence 47 min Make World peace ... 617
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 56 min Ntakudyaunya 12
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 38,065
How you can maintain your youthful skin after h... 2 hr Asian Derma 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr guest 568,404
More from around the web