Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#163051 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on guys, I'd think you would be cheering on The Donald.
You could renew the search for a birth certificate.
I'm not particularly fond of The Donald, but I'd rather have him in the White House than the critter that's in there now.

Location hidden

#163052 Jun 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Doh! I keep mixing up those two.
I certainly haven't been mixing them up, but I could swear that Kat lived in the region. But I hope Shovel and her family are all right, too. After losing her son so tragically, she sure doesn't need another tragedy.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#163053 Jun 1, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
A man with a sense of humor.
Who could negotiate peace in the Middle east better then Jesse and Howard?

I cant think of two better minds to work out the national debt issue, border security, HC.

Just what this country needs.........

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#163054 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not particularly fond of The Donald, but I'd rather have him in the White House than the critter that's in there now.
YOU'RE FIRED!!
Roberta G

United States

#163055 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU'RE FIRED!!
From what?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#163056 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text> I certainly haven't been mixing them up, but I could swear that Kat lived in the region. But I hope Shovel and her family are all right, too. After losing her son so tragically, she sure doesn't need another tragedy.
If they BOTH lived in the same area, there'd be quite a bit more
suspicion that they were one & the same, right?
<:p

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#163057 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>From what?
Just kidding. Discussion of Trump made me think of that.
Roberta G

United States

#163058 Jun 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If they BOTH lived in the same area, there'd be quite a bit more
suspicion that they were one & the same, right?
<:p
At first, I suppose. But I was honestly under the impression that Kat did live in the area, don't ask me why. I didn't even think about Shovel until Lis reminded me.
Roberta G

United States

#163059 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just kidding. Discussion of Trump made me think of that.
:)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#163060 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>At first, I suppose. But I was honestly under the impression that Kat did live in the area, don't ask me why. I didn't even think about Shovel until Lis reminded me.
WHY?

Location hidden

#163061 Jun 1, 2013
Rest in peace, Ms. Stapleton. Your alter ego, Edith Bunker, drove me crazy but I loved her dearly.

"All in the Family" came on during the most impressionable part of my life. I learned SO many lessons from that show and your character, and I'll always be grateful for that.

Location hidden

#163062 Jun 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY?
Oh, brother :P

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#163063 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Rest in peace, Ms. Stapleton. Your alter ego, Edith Bunker, drove me crazy but I loved her dearly.
"All in the Family" came on during the most impressionable part of my life. I learned SO many lessons from that show and your character, and I'll always be grateful for that.
A more intelligent woman you'll never find, but she played the dingbat to a 'T' didn't she? Her clueless character was perfect.(It must have been the heavy syrup!)

Location hidden

#163064 Jun 1, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
A more intelligent woman you'll never find, but she played the dingbat to a 'T' didn't she? Her clueless character was perfect.(It must have been the heavy syrup!)
I think I first started watching the show when I was around 11, and even then I knew the actress behind the character must be very intelligent. She could never have made Edith so adorably loopy if she wasn't :)

I remember lots of "Edith" moments. The maple syrup one is one of the ones I remember most. I think of it frequently, partly I think because being married so long now I know how easy it is for a simple misunderstanding to develop into a major fight :s

"Before you both start saying things that you'll never take back, stop for a moment and think how much you really mean to each other"

Truly words to live by :)

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#163065 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on guys, I'd think you would be cheering on The Donald.
You could renew the search for a birth certificate.
The Sheriff has that covered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#163066 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I first started watching the show when I was around 11, and even then I knew the actress behind the character must be very intelligent. She could never have made Edith so adorably loopy if she wasn't :)
I remember lots of "Edith" moments. The maple syrup one is one of the ones I remember most. I think of it frequently, partly I think because being married so long now I know how easy it is for a simple misunderstanding to develop into a major fight :s
"Before you both start saying things that you'll never take back, stop for a moment and think how much you really mean to each other"
Sorry. I don't remember the maple syrup one. The quote I used was in the show where Edith's shopping cart got away from her in the grocery store parking lot, and when it hit a car, a can of cling peaches flew out of the cart and dented the hood of the car.
I remember all the conversations the show started everywhere. My foster dad was against us watching it. He said that 'they bring up topics that should be left alone.' We, my foster brother and I, said that if they are never talked about, then they would always be a problem.. A good argument, but we just wanted to watch the show.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#163067 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Rip. It was before my time but caught a few when I was home sick from school.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#163068 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
So I've read a few blogs saying this show kicked off the p/c crap. I don't know... Wife has had on The Brady Bunch in the last few weeks. One show that caught me off guard had a topic was Jesse James. Kind of shocked when this show from Feb 73 started bashing guns. And so it goes.
qakerman

Pittsburgh, PA

#163069 Jun 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
wow Luck again? If Bush a Hero then where is this Hero today

Location hidden

#163070 Jun 2, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
So I've read a few blogs saying this show kicked off the p/c crap. I don't know... Wife has had on The Brady Bunch in the last few weeks. One show that caught me off guard had a topic was Jesse James. Kind of shocked when this show from Feb 73 started bashing guns. And so it goes.
You know, I actually think there is some truth to that. But not enough to outweigh the genuine good this show did in helping America to confront very real, very complicated problems. Young as I was at the time, I had no idea (yet) what racism really meant or how deeply entrenched it was. Using humor, "All in the Family" helped me to understand the problem a little more, so I was better prepared to confront the problem in my OWN life later on.

And racism was just one of the issues that show faced head-on. There was also mistreatment of women (several different kinds, including rape), political corruption, labor/union problems, stereotyping, etc. Plenty of somewhat lighter problems too--irritating relatives, family difficulties, you name it :)

Today I'd look at some of those episodes with a different perspective than I did when I was a kid or young adult. But there is no question that "All in the Family" helped to make me AWARE of some of those problems, and since the show was also downright funny, I could learn and laugh at the same time. No matter what, that show made me THINK. "All in the Family" (and "M*A*S*H*") had a HUGE--and beneficial--impact on my life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min Seentheotherside 609,876
Gift Suggestion for a God Daughter? 3 min OnicaS 1
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 7 min fadu singh 9,247
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Rider on the Storm 817,761
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min oxbow 579,180
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 44 min Seentheotherside 1,998
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 53 min LAWEST100 117
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 97,997
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Porkpie Hat 270,164
More from around the web