“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#163013 May 30, 2013
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, sounds about right. The guy took one for the team, then got run over by the revisionist bus. So what's the rest of the story? Who was driving the bus, and why did he make road-kill out of Judas?
Were you aware that "Judas Iscariot" translates roughly to "Jude Assassin"? Can you imagine the loving parents looking down at their newborn son and saying, "He shall be called Jude Assassin!" There's a small clue right there as to the provenance of the fictional character, "Judas".

To get in the picture, it always helps to cast yourself back to the years immediately following Jesus' death. We know today that there was not one "interpretation" of Jesus' mission and intent, but a whole host of them, often at odds with each other in the particulars. Sects sprang up just as naturally as they still do today. Each had their own view of Jesus, oftentimes outlined in what we now call the "apocryphal gospels". The so-called "orthodoxy" we have today was nowhere near the accepted orthodoxy of the time - that took a couple of centuries of hard work and not a few "councils" to decide - through human debate, mind you - who was In and, more importantly, to identify and weed out the "heretics".

And one of the earliest, and most influential, "heresies" (keeping in mind that's a relative term) were those whom Paul called the "Judaizers". Paul's most recurrent and vicious commentary went toward these who saw Jesus as very much a practicing and devout Jew. Those he called "mutilators of the flesh", they included those who actually walked and talked with Jesus himself, as Paul reveals when he is so critical of the "so-called pillars of the church" (Gal.2), those he jealously and sarcastically calls "super-apostles" (2 Cor 11, 12).

So, it was a sectarian dogfight, and the Pauline faction won out, due to their tireless missionary work and a solid grasp of the importance of writing for posterity, but helped along no doubt by the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of Jesus' few remaining Judean disciples.

There is no question that Paul's version was a more universal, or catholic (small "c") tradition, and was more readily acceptable to a wider audience than a Judaic Christianity would have been. But I truly believe that, in the propaganda struggle for dominance, some awful harsh words got printed about Jews in general, and later canonized, that were to have tragic consequences, surely unintended by the author, for untold millions of Jews down through the centuries.

"His blood be on us and on our children!" By God, there's a prophecy if ever there was one.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#163014 May 30, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Benghazi will be front and center again when the House Oversight and Government Reform Commitee has it's final findings. The commitee is currently pushing to get all the relevant WH emails and also the names and access to all the survivors who were there. And eventually the WH will have to turn them over..... they have no choice. The committee has also issued more subpoenas just yesterday to past and current State Department officials in the ongoing investigation and the chairman (Issa,) has sent subpoenas to 10 officials including a spokesman and the number 2 official in the agency.

John McCain & Lyndsey Graham and others KNOW there is some damaging goods on this administration in it's handling of Benghazi or they wouldn't be holding onto it with their teeth but it could be weeks or more likely months before it's completed.
I think it will be worth the wait.
So do I.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#163015 May 30, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric said he never did such a thing...
'With regard to the potential prosecution of the press for the disclosure of material,' Holder testified,'that is not something that I've ever been involved in, heard of, or would think would be a wise policy. In fact, my view is quite the opposite.'-Eric Holder, 5/15/2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23322...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23322...
I know what he said. YOU know what he said. HE knows what he said.

And we all know what he DID, too, don't we?

;)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#163016 May 30, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, Natives didn't call it,'The Little Big Horn'. It was known to them as 'The greasy grass' so Both quotes are wrong.
Just sayin'.
<OFF TOPIC>
True, and not all that many non-natives are aware of that.

Another story I found fascinating is that Crazy Horse along with approx 1500 warriors, helped defeat Gen Crook at Rosebud Creek on June 17, in a 6 hour battle,(Crook's 2nd try, and 2nd defeat - took him out of the Bighorn battle). But right afterward, Crazy Horse got word of the Bluecoats converging on Sitting Bull's Annual Meeting of all the local Tribes, which he chose to have at LBH. Anyway, Crazy Horse was now at the south end of the Wolf Mtns, about 15 miles from the Wyo Terr. boundary.

So he and his warriors either rode north thru the Wolf Mtns, or did an end run to the west 13 miles b4 heading north for 20 miles to the LBH (33 total). Either way would not've been an easy ride, but he got there within the 8 days to help take down Custer.

At LBH, witnesses saw Crazy Horse riding back & forth in front of the soldiers yelling and urging his fellow warriors on. Numerous soldiers were shooting at Crazy Horse but he was never hit.
lisw

Wilmington, OH

#163018 May 30, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
<OFF TOPIC>
True, and not all that many non-natives are aware of that.
Another story I found fascinating is that Crazy Horse along with approx 1500 warriors, helped defeat Gen Crook at Rosebud Creek on June 17, in a 6 hour battle,(Crook's 2nd try, and 2nd defeat - took him out of the Bighorn battle). But right afterward, Crazy Horse got word of the Bluecoats converging on Sitting Bull's Annual Meeting of all the local Tribes, which he chose to have at LBH. Anyway, Crazy Horse was now at the south end of the Wolf Mtns, about 15 miles from the Wyo Terr. boundary.
So he and his warriors either rode north thru the Wolf Mtns, or did an end run to the west 13 miles b4 heading north for 20 miles to the LBH (33 total). Either way would not've been an easy ride, but he got there within the 8 days to help take down Custer.
At LBH, witnesses saw Crazy Horse riding back & forth in front of the soldiers yelling and urging his fellow warriors on. Numerous soldiers were shooting at Crazy Horse but he was never hit.
Was the monument to Crazy Horse in the Black Hills ever finished? They were working on it 30 years ago when we were there.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163020 May 30, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Was the monument to Crazy Horse in the Black Hills ever finished? They were working on it 30 years ago when we were there.
Rock structure problems (& funding) has slowed things down a bit Lis.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/01/167988928/the-s...
lisw

Wilmington, OH

#163021 May 30, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks I didn't know it was started that early. I'm a big fan of Amada Pena. I met him once in Santa Fe. His paintings were almost always of the faces of Native Americans naturally found in the mountains. Maybe they're trying to be too literal with the sculpture.
They started the monument before I was born. If they finish it before I die, I'm going to go see it. Wanna meet me there?
:)

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#163022 May 31, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Some folks/states know how to handle their priorities...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#163023 May 31, 2013
no hes not

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163024 May 31, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks I didn't know it was started that early. I'm a big fan of Amada Pena. I met him once in Santa Fe. His paintings were almost always of the faces of Native Americans naturally found in the mountains. Maybe they're trying to be too literal with the sculpture.
They started the monument before I was born. If they finish it before I die, I'm going to go see it. Wanna meet me there?
:)
<OFF TOPIC>
Of course. I'd be delighted. Though hopefully we may have a much sooner opportunity.

About 30 years ago or so, I was driving alone in the Black Hills, and near the center (it was 9-10AM), there was a large clearing, small creek, and some sort of lone store or something off to the left (northeast) side.

I was travelling south and saw up in the hillside trees to the southwest, a large white sculpture of an Indian in full headress sitting on a horse. Much of the horse was hidden by the trees, but the head & back were visible. Course I had no camera.

Anyway, I didn't think much about it until a few years ago, my daughter & I were back there to see relatives (Sturgis) and tour the area. I mentioned my "vision" to some of the older relatives, and NONE of them recalled seeing an Indian on a horse up on the hillside. And they drive thru the area frequently.

My guess is it was some sort of huge model for Crazy Horse to see what a completed memorial might look like.
lisw

Wilmington, OH

#163025 May 31, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
<OFF TOPIC>
Of course. I'd be delighted. Though hopefully we may have a much sooner opportunity.
About 30 years ago or so, I was driving alone in the Black Hills, and near the center (it was 9-10AM), there was a large clearing, small creek, and some sort of lone store or something off to the left (northeast) side.
I was travelling south and saw up in the hillside trees to the southwest, a large white sculpture of an Indian in full headress sitting on a horse. Much of the horse was hidden by the trees, but the head & back were visible. Course I had no camera.
Anyway, I didn't think much about it until a few years ago, my daughter & I were back there to see relatives (Sturgis) and tour the area. I mentioned my "vision" to some of the older relatives, and NONE of them recalled seeing an Indian on a horse up on the hillside. And they drive thru the area frequently.
My guess is it was some sort of huge model for Crazy Horse to see what a completed memorial might look like.
Or maybe you have some sort of sixth sense. I'm serious. I know how much that area means to you and when you feel that way I think you have a connection others don't.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163026 May 31, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe you have some sort of sixth sense. I'm serious. I know how much that area means to you and when you feel that way I think you have a connection others don't.
You think it was seen only in my "mind's eye" and was not actually
there physically? It's possible, but (wow) for a mirage, that was
SOME vision.

I didn't stop at the time because I figured it was just a model. But I think I can find the location, and I'd sure like to ask the business owner if he/she remembers it.
:-)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163027 May 31, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
Some folks/states know how to handle their priorities...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain
Thanx for the link. Hadn't ever heard of that one b4. Heard of Stone Mtn, but not the carving.
lisw

Wilmington, OH

#163028 May 31, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
You think it was seen only in my "mind's eye" and was not actually
there physically? It's possible, but (wow) for a mirage, that was
SOME vision.
I didn't stop at the time because I figured it was just a model. But I think I can find the location, and I'd sure like to ask the business owner if he/she remembers it.
:-)
I'm not saying you're nuts or anything, I'm just thinking that's a mighty big model.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163030 May 31, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not saying you're nuts or anything, I'm just thinking that's a mighty big model.
Oh it's quite all right Lis, I AM.

Did a virtual tour (satellite) of the Black Hills about 2 hrs ago, and noticed that there have been quite a few buildings, both residential & commercial added to the area, so now I'm not so sure I could find the spot again. I did see a couple places that COULD have been the area.

If the model actually existed, it was probably made of plastic or some other lite material, even styrofoam perhaps, as pillars and many other architecural features are commonly made, though likely not so common 30+ years ago. IDK.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163031 May 31, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
<OFF TOPIC>

Correction: 2nd paragraph s/h/b
....off to the left (SOUTHeast) side.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163032 May 31, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not saying you're nuts or anything, I'm just thinking that's a mighty big model.
Lis, the model was a reduced scale, and didn't exactly dominate the landscape as one might think in looking at the scale of the current memorial.

If I had to guess, I'd say the model was about 2 1/2 times avg human size. So using avg height 6', the model may've been 12-15'
from the ground, enough to expose the top 1/3 above the pine trees.

“"Tanners Flat" U dummy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#163033 May 31, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, Natives didn't call it,'The Little Big Horn'. It was known to them as 'The greasy grass' so Both quotes are wrong.
Just sayin'.
That's not sayin' much.

Maybe john wooden-legs got the name of the battle wrong....according to you, but sarah palin mis-attributed the quote and twisted the meaning of it.

On your scale broken scale, these two balance out.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#163034 May 31, 2013
Yellow Star Seed is Back wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not sayin' much.
Maybe john wooden-legs got the name of the battle wrong....according to you, but sarah palin mis-attributed the quote and twisted the meaning of it.
On your scale broken scale, these two balance out.
Errors of this type are common everywhere, and on BOTH sides. But because politicians do it, it gets more ink & air time from an opposition's attempt to cast the person in the worst possible light.

Most, who are already aware of this, assign the merit % deemed worthy at the time, and move on from there.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#163035 May 31, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh it's quite all right Lis, I AM.
Did a virtual tour (satellite) of the Black Hills about 2 hrs ago, and noticed that there have been quite a few buildings, both residential & commercial added to the area, so now I'm not so sure I could find the spot again. I did see a couple places that COULD have been the area.
If the model actually existed, it was probably made of plastic or some other lite material, even styrofoam perhaps, as pillars and many other architecural features are commonly made, though likely not so common 30+ years ago. IDK.
http://crazyhorsememorial.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Tide with Beach 779,169
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min LTM 560,728
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 18 min Marlowe Super Dog 441,824
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 35 min Pegasus 265,582
Gay snapchat names 58 min joe_n07 185
Are our soldiers traitors? 1 hr MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 17
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 1 hr kim Jong Un 58
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr Innocent Holy dr ... 605,384
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 8 hr daveo69 72
More from around the web