Bush is a hero

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#163057 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>From what?
Just kidding. Discussion of Trump made me think of that.
Roberta G

Chicago, IL

#163058 Jun 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If they BOTH lived in the same area, there'd be quite a bit more
suspicion that they were one & the same, right?
<:p
At first, I suppose. But I was honestly under the impression that Kat did live in the area, don't ask me why. I didn't even think about Shovel until Lis reminded me.
Roberta G

Chicago, IL

#163059 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just kidding. Discussion of Trump made me think of that.
:)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#163060 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>At first, I suppose. But I was honestly under the impression that Kat did live in the area, don't ask me why. I didn't even think about Shovel until Lis reminded me.
WHY?

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#163061 Jun 1, 2013
Rest in peace, Ms. Stapleton. Your alter ego, Edith Bunker, drove me crazy but I loved her dearly.

"All in the Family" came on during the most impressionable part of my life. I learned SO many lessons from that show and your character, and I'll always be grateful for that.

Location hidden

#163062 Jun 1, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY?
Oh, brother :P

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#163063 Jun 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Rest in peace, Ms. Stapleton. Your alter ego, Edith Bunker, drove me crazy but I loved her dearly.
"All in the Family" came on during the most impressionable part of my life. I learned SO many lessons from that show and your character, and I'll always be grateful for that.
A more intelligent woman you'll never find, but she played the dingbat to a 'T' didn't she? Her clueless character was perfect.(It must have been the heavy syrup!)

Location hidden

#163064 Jun 1, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
A more intelligent woman you'll never find, but she played the dingbat to a 'T' didn't she? Her clueless character was perfect.(It must have been the heavy syrup!)
I think I first started watching the show when I was around 11, and even then I knew the actress behind the character must be very intelligent. She could never have made Edith so adorably loopy if she wasn't :)

I remember lots of "Edith" moments. The maple syrup one is one of the ones I remember most. I think of it frequently, partly I think because being married so long now I know how easy it is for a simple misunderstanding to develop into a major fight :s

"Before you both start saying things that you'll never take back, stop for a moment and think how much you really mean to each other"

Truly words to live by :)

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#163065 Jun 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on guys, I'd think you would be cheering on The Donald.
You could renew the search for a birth certificate.
The Sheriff has that covered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#163066 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I first started watching the show when I was around 11, and even then I knew the actress behind the character must be very intelligent. She could never have made Edith so adorably loopy if she wasn't :)
I remember lots of "Edith" moments. The maple syrup one is one of the ones I remember most. I think of it frequently, partly I think because being married so long now I know how easy it is for a simple misunderstanding to develop into a major fight :s
"Before you both start saying things that you'll never take back, stop for a moment and think how much you really mean to each other"
Sorry. I don't remember the maple syrup one. The quote I used was in the show where Edith's shopping cart got away from her in the grocery store parking lot, and when it hit a car, a can of cling peaches flew out of the cart and dented the hood of the car.
I remember all the conversations the show started everywhere. My foster dad was against us watching it. He said that 'they bring up topics that should be left alone.' We, my foster brother and I, said that if they are never talked about, then they would always be a problem.. A good argument, but we just wanted to watch the show.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#163067 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Rip. It was before my time but caught a few when I was home sick from school.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#163068 Jun 2, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
So I've read a few blogs saying this show kicked off the p/c crap. I don't know... Wife has had on The Brady Bunch in the last few weeks. One show that caught me off guard had a topic was Jesse James. Kind of shocked when this show from Feb 73 started bashing guns. And so it goes.
qakerman

West Mifflin, PA

#163069 Jun 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch... ……
wow Luck again? If Bush a Hero then where is this Hero today

Location hidden

#163070 Jun 2, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
So I've read a few blogs saying this show kicked off the p/c crap. I don't know... Wife has had on The Brady Bunch in the last few weeks. One show that caught me off guard had a topic was Jesse James. Kind of shocked when this show from Feb 73 started bashing guns. And so it goes.
You know, I actually think there is some truth to that. But not enough to outweigh the genuine good this show did in helping America to confront very real, very complicated problems. Young as I was at the time, I had no idea (yet) what racism really meant or how deeply entrenched it was. Using humor, "All in the Family" helped me to understand the problem a little more, so I was better prepared to confront the problem in my OWN life later on.

And racism was just one of the issues that show faced head-on. There was also mistreatment of women (several different kinds, including rape), political corruption, labor/union problems, stereotyping, etc. Plenty of somewhat lighter problems too--irritating relatives, family difficulties, you name it :)

Today I'd look at some of those episodes with a different perspective than I did when I was a kid or young adult. But there is no question that "All in the Family" helped to make me AWARE of some of those problems, and since the show was also downright funny, I could learn and laugh at the same time. No matter what, that show made me THINK. "All in the Family" (and "M*A*S*H*") had a HUGE--and beneficial--impact on my life.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#163071 Jun 2, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually All in the Family kind of exposed PC as crap at times. Edith was the one who was completely nonjudgmental and non-bigoted. Archie was a bigot but mostly in words and because of how he was raised. But when it came right down to it, he wasn't as bigoted as he seemed. Mike (the meathead) was the liberal who supposedy was so openminded, but he got exposed as a bigger talker than a walker. As a matter of fact Lionel (his black friend) finally told him how uncomfortable he made him feel.(Remind you of anything?) It was a show way before its time.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#163072 Jun 2, 2013
qakerman wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=FvOPC8lXTw Y ……
wow Luck again? If Bush a Hero then where is this Hero today
Drivin' the Batmobile. Gov Christie is his Robin.

Location hidden

#163073 Jun 2, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. I don't remember the maple syrup one. The quote I used was in the show where Edith's shopping cart got away from her in the grocery store parking lot, and when it hit a car, a can of cling peaches flew out of the cart and dented the hood of the car.

I remember all the conversations the show started everywhere. My foster dad was against us watching it. He said that 'they bring up topics that should be left alone.' We, my foster brother and I, said that if they are never talked about, then they would always be a problem.. A good argument, but we just wanted to watch the show.
Like any self-respecting teenage boys would be, you weren't interested in the show's educational aspects, but had to come up with an argument an adult would respect :)

I know I said "maple syrup" and Edith does mention maple syrup in her dialogue immediately before the bit I quoted, but that episode wasn't really about any kind of syrup, maple or otherwise :) Mike and Gloria are having a huge fight, and eventually Edith sits them both down (telling Archie "You sit down too!" He does.) and helps patch things up. You realize then, if you didn't already, that Edith may be very simple-minded in some ways but she has the kind of wisdom that really matters :)

Location hidden

#163074 Jun 2, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Actually All in the Family kind of exposed PC as crap at times. Edith was the one who was completely nonjudgmental and non-bigoted. Archie was a bigot but mostly in words and because of how he was raised. But when it came right down to it, he wasn't as bigoted as he seemed. Mike (the meathead) was the liberal who supposedy was so openminded, but he got exposed as a bigger talker than a walker. As a matter of fact Lionel (his black friend) finally told him how uncomfortable he made him feel.(Remind you of anything?) It was a show way before its time.
That it was :) That was a GREAT summing-up, Lis. It reminded me of the time when one of my college instructors used the four main characters as examples of different philosophies. He said that Mike thought himself an idealist, but was really a pragmatist. Edith, of course, was the true idealist :)

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#163075 Jun 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
That one's easy. They're dispensable. They're a dime a dozen and they can be replaced. Susan Rice doesn't have the value Hillary Clinton has which is precisely why Hillary Clinton didn't do the Sunday morning talk show circuit regarding Benghazi. Too risky for the heir to the throne to stick her neck out like that.
=====
Different topic but along the same creepy lines.
Do you know who outed the IRS story?
The IRS.
Do you know why I think they may have sprung their own scandal?
To perpetuate fear particularly among republicans all geared toward the 2014 elections.
Here's the scenario. The average American has a healthy fear of the IRS anyway. Everyone dreads the men in black suits ringing their doorbell and announcing an audit. No one messes with the IRS without losing sleep, most Americans take pains to do their taxes carefully because they ARE the political boogymen and they do strike a note of nervousness in most taxpayers. The taxman cometh and all that.
Now we have a situation where republican organizations, religious organizations, Tea Party organizations, conservative groups AND individuals have been targeted HARD. How do you think that will play to the public when it comes to writing a check or making a donation to the republican party when the 2014 campaigning begins? I'll tell you. It's going to make alot of people not write a check. It's going to make alot of people shake their heads "no" the next time their conservative candidate asks for a contribution. They have their families to consider, their jobs, a mortgage etc. and people who normally participate by send $$$'s will think twice because they don't want to wind up red flagged by the already scary and now even scarier ---> IRS.
How does that help liberals if contributions by republicans are way down? lol- It's a no-brainer.
It's called soft tyranny and it might be playing at a theater near you.
Happy Dreams, America!
You do know your entire 'IRS outs themselves' fantasy rests on the assumption that a majority of conservatives are cheating on their taxes.....right???

After all, if you've done nothing wrong, there's nothing to fear...

Go ahead and write that check, hon - but don't write it to Bachmann - at long last, she's stepping down.

:)

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#163076 Jun 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
God bless the people in Oklahoma. I hope sister Kathryn is okay.
Thank-you, Lis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min kentthetard 675,425
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Bongo 110,022
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr hallucinatingGab 982,187
68 year old man missing from Deens Landing?! 1 hr bugg_85 1
Play "End of the Word" ..... Part 2 1 hr andet1987 69
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 1 hr andet1987 10
I love to show off my hot wife (Jan '12) 4 hr Deewhy 23
More from around the web