Comments
155,001 - 155,020 of 173,275 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

#162234 May 13, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's where I watch them :) But I'm not about to miss the season finale tomorrow night! I just wish my hubby, who got me hooked on the show, was going to be here watching it with me, but he's already made me promise to tell him everything afterwards :)
It's odd you should mention that the cast changes haven't affected the show's quality, when as you pointed out, that usually happens. "NCIS" reminds me of "M*A*S*H*," my all-time favorite show, that way.
"WKRP in Cincinnati", "Barney Miller", "Columbo" and the original "Hawaii Five-0" are my favorites. Every now and then I can catch them in reruns... with a little "Kojak" thrown in.:)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#162237 May 13, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I still think secular humanist (the term used back in the sixties to sell the same bilgewater you've bought into) was better than the way O'Reilly et al have re-branded it with secular-progressive.
That is fresher than culture war, at least; in America that one can be traced back to at least the secessionists of the civil war [but probably to the anti-immigrant/anti-Catholic Know-Nothings of the 1850s]. Culture war is what the KKK was fighting, too, and come to think of it - they and their spawn aren't fond of the NAACP or SPLC, either.
Now that I think about it - the Nazis claimed they were fighting to defend Jewish culture, and (since somebody pulled them out of the ash heap recently) the Nazi-sympathizing Vichy French regime were fighting its OWN phony culture war against communists, Jews, and Protestants.
(You have to rebrand it to fit your audience.)
But I digress ...
What the Koch's are doing, they are doing nothing more and nothing less than Soros does - exercising their freedom of speech. The emphasis is on nothing more and nothing less - they are equals.
There's a lot of silly people all hot and bothered about what the Koch brothers are doing too, and I'm sure someone gullible enough to fall for it and diligent enough to put in the work could replicate Roberta's work in 'outing' Soros the evildoer.
It would amount to the same thing - a whole bunch of smoke and mirrors from charlatans and demagogues sold to people who have a whole lot of trouble understanding the whole concept of divergent views, and are inherently suspicious of anyone who doesn't think like them.
To the barricades ... the Jefferson and his Jacobin's are coming!
In simple terms, what are the Koch Bros trying to accomplish?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#162238 May 13, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because he's not playing "the idiot", he really is "the idiot".
Yep. I just scroll past the useless troll. Not worth the time spent tryin' to read parrot gibberish.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#162239 May 13, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
"WKRP in Cincinnati", "Barney Miller", "Columbo" and the original "Hawaii Five-0" are my favorites. Every now and then I can catch them in reruns... with a little "Kojak" thrown in.:)
Columbo yes. The rest of them you can have, especially W-KRAP.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#162240 May 14, 2013
ABC News
05/14/2013

"President Obama blamed part of the political gridlock in Washington, D.C., on “hyper-partisanship” saying some Republicans worry too much about the reaction of conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh."
======

Soooooo, if this pansy President isn't blaming Bush, he's blaming FOX. If he's not blaming FOX he's blaming Limbaugh. Weak people and ineffetual political leaders blame others for their failings in my view and it should be noted that his connections with the media are incestuous. For example:

** CBS News president David Rhodes has a brother named Ben who is Obama's deputy national security adviser for strategic communication, especially concerning the Middle East. Ben Rhodes wrote the Cairo speech.
** Ben Sherwood is the president of ABC News. His sister is Elizabeth Sherwood Randall, special assistant to Barack Obama. She is also a specialist on the Middle East.
** Tom Nides was Hillary's deputy secretary of state for management and resources. CNN's deputy bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to him.
** David Gregorys {Meet the Press} wife Claire Shipman, formerly of CNN, was one of the chief lawyers over at Fannie Mae. Now she works for ABC.

The list goes on and yet this embarrassment of a president is whining about Limbaugh and Fox and GWB when he can't get his agenda shoved through Congress.
Dirty Barry has big problems. Obamacare will prove to be a trainwreck, Benghazi is bubbly hot, The IRS mess is just getting warmed up and the Justice Department needs to explain why they were secretly obtaining phone records from journalists working at the Associated Press which directly attacks our 1st Amendment.

Obama is quick to say he's responsible for muliple things which go on by those in his administration but his words ring hollow until he is ultimately forced to be held ACCOUNTABLE for the behavior of those in his employ and the President blaming FOX and Limbaugh and Bush will not be enough. I'm hoping the pounding of the tom-toms he's hearing gives him a headache. He's given me one for 5 years.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#162241 May 14, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
In simple terms, what are the Koch Bros trying to accomplish?
I believe the Koch Brothers are supporting causes and organizations that they believe in, and that's all.

You want somebody to play along, to come back with the marketing slogan equivalent to 'secular progressive' being used to sell the Koch Brothers as antagonists and evil-doers, look somewhere else. I don't know what that equivalent is, because I don't pay that much attention to that kind of stuff, at least not in any detail.

I mean, I'm aware that some folks are all a-tizzy over the Koch Brothers apparent interest in buying the company that owns the L.A. Times and other properties. I've skimmed newspaper articles about it, but that's as far as I've looked into it because it wouldn't worry me if they did.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#162242 May 14, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Columbo yes. The rest of them you can have, especially W-KRAP.
I loved WKRP.

Beware the phone cops!

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162243 May 14, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
"WKRP in Cincinnati", "Barney Miller", "Columbo" and the original "Hawaii Five-0" are my favorites. Every now and then I can catch them in reruns... with a little "Kojak" thrown in.:)
Those are all good, especially 'WKRP', but my favorites are 'The Waltons','Bonanza','Maverick', and 'Little House on the Prairie'. I'm a sucker for horse opera....

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#162244 May 14, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Those are all good, especially 'WKRP', but my favorites are 'The Waltons','Bonanza','Maverick', and 'Little House on the Prairie'. I'm a sucker for horse opera....
As a father of three daughters who grew up in the 80s watching Walton re-runs: if I never see a *&^%%$ episode again it will be too soon.

;-)

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#162245 May 14, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
ABC News
05/14/2013
"President Obama blamed part of the political gridlock in Washington, D.C., on “hyper-partisanship” saying some Republicans worry too much about the reaction of conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh."
======
Soooooo, if this pansy President isn't blaming Bush, he's blaming FOX. If he's not blaming FOX he's blaming Limbaugh. Weak people and ineffetual political leaders blame others for their failings in my view and it should be noted that his connections with the media are incestuous. For example:
** CBS News president David Rhodes has a brother named Ben who is Obama's deputy national security adviser for strategic communication, especially concerning the Middle East. Ben Rhodes wrote the Cairo speech.
** Ben Sherwood is the president of ABC News. His sister is Elizabeth Sherwood Randall, special assistant to Barack Obama. She is also a specialist on the Middle East.
** Tom Nides was Hillary's deputy secretary of state for management and resources. CNN's deputy bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to him.
** David Gregorys {Meet the Press} wife Claire Shipman, formerly of CNN, was one of the chief lawyers over at Fannie Mae. Now she works for ABC.
The list goes on and yet this embarrassment of a president is whining about Limbaugh and Fox and GWB when he can't get his agenda shoved through Congress.
Dirty Barry has big problems. Obamacare will prove to be a trainwreck, Benghazi is bubbly hot, The IRS mess is just getting warmed up and the Justice Department needs to explain why they were secretly obtaining phone records from journalists working at the Associated Press which directly attacks our 1st Amendment.
Obama is quick to say he's responsible for muliple things which go on by those in his administration but his words ring hollow until he is ultimately forced to be held ACCOUNTABLE for the behavior of those in his employ and the President blaming FOX and Limbaugh and Bush will not be enough. I'm hoping the pounding of the tom-toms he's hearing gives him a headache. He's given me one for 5 years.
lol... I'm sure you have seen this before, but if not I think you will like it...:)

O = One
B = Big
A = A$$
M = Mistake
A + America...

Have a nice day...

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162246 May 14, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
In simple terms, what are the Koch Bros trying to accomplish?
In simple of terms: socializing risk and privatizing profit, at the expense of the states and the people within them.

A longer answer, which I got from Wiki, would include the information that they founded and sit on the board of ALEC, The American Legislative Exchange Council. The organization boasts 2,000 legislative members and 300 or more corporate members. The unelected corporate representatives (often registered lobbyists) sit as equals with elected representatives on nine task forces where they have a “voice and a vote” on model legislation. The long-term representation of Koch Industries on the governing board, means that Koch has had influence over an untold number of ALEC bills. Thousands of ALEC-approved model bills have been publicly introduced across the country, and which have been passed in many states. A few are listed below.

* Altria/Philip Morris USA benefits from ALEC’s newest tobacco legislation -- an extremely narrow tax break for moist tobacco that would make fruit flavored tobacco products cheaper and more attractive to youngsters.

* Health insurance companies such as Humana and Golden Rule Insurance (United Healthcare), benefit directly from ALEC model bills, such as the Health Savings Account bill that just passed in Wisconsin.

* Tobacco firms such as Reynolds and pharmaceutical firms such as Bayer benefit directly from ALEC tort reform measures that make it harder for Americans to sue when injured by dangerous products.

* Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) benefits directly from the anti-immigrant legislation, introduced in Arizona and other states, that requires expanded incarceration and housing of immigrants, along with other bills from ALEC’s crime task force.
After years of membership on the Criminal Justice Task Force and even co-chairing it, CCA's prison privatization bills remain ALEC "models.")

* Connections Academy, a large online education corporation and co-chair of the Education Task Force, benefits from ALEC measures to privatize public education and promote private on-line schools.

Not sure if any of that meets with your approval...maybe it all does.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162247 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>As a father of three daughters who grew up in the 80s watching Walton re-runs: if I never see a *&^%%$ episode again it will be too soon.
;-)
I find most men feel that way on principle. My dad used to refer to it as 'The Crying Jag'....and my current husband refers to 'Little House' as 'Cryin' in the Corn'.

But I like a little schmaltz with my cocoa...what can I say??

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#162248 May 14, 2013
He's a bum. Clearly.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#162249 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>As a father of three daughters who grew up in the 80s watching Walton re-runs: if I never see a *&^%%$ episode again it will be too soon.
;-)
did you see the SNL skit when John Belushi stuck a hockey puck on his cheek and played 'John Boy' walton? Best Waltons episode I ever saw.
Back in the late seventies, we never planned anything on thursday nights. Taxi, WKRP, Barney Miller, et. al. On KRP, I always thought that Jan Smithers made Loni Anderson look like a two dollar whore. Favorite line (Other than The Doctor's,'You didn't see me! You didn't see me!)'If all else fails, we'll sic Les Nessman on them.' reply,'That could spell the end of organized religion as we know it!'

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162250 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the Koch Brothers are supporting causes and organizations that they believe in, and that's all.
You want somebody to play along, to come back with the marketing slogan equivalent to 'secular progressive' being used to sell the Koch Brothers as antagonists and evil-doers, look somewhere else. I don't know what that equivalent is, because I don't pay that much attention to that kind of stuff, at least not in any detail.
I mean, I'm aware that some folks are all a-tizzy over the Koch Brothers apparent interest in buying the company that owns the L.A. Times and other properties. I've skimmed newspaper articles about it, but that's as far as I've looked into it because it wouldn't worry me if they did.
I gather from your posts, that you aren't particularly worried about any of it - and that the only thing really interesting to you about politics, is the data collection in service to posterity.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

#162251 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I loved WKRP.
Beware the phone cops!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cTPzTG1Lx60XX
Call... and raise you one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

#162252 May 14, 2013
Kim2815 wrote:
He's a bum. Clearly.
Absolutely! That's why one of his nicknames is obummer.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#162253 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the Koch Brothers are supporting causes and organizations that they believe in, and that's all.
You want somebody to play along, to come back with the marketing slogan equivalent to 'secular progressive' being used to sell the Koch Brothers as antagonists and evil-doers, look somewhere else. I don't know what that equivalent is, because I don't pay that much attention to that kind of stuff, at least not in any detail.
I mean, I'm aware that some folks are all a-tizzy over the Koch Brothers apparent interest in buying the company that owns the L.A. Times and other properties. I've skimmed newspaper articles about it, but that's as far as I've looked into it because it wouldn't worry me if they did.
WRONG! Other than hearing their names being tossed around, I was totally unfamiliar with who are, where they're from, and what they're up to.

In approx 10-15 minutes of scanning Googled links, I saw their interest, and the left's scornful howling, about the purchase of Tribune Newspapers including the LA Times, as you pointed out.

I also read where the bros. are dumping huge amounts of $$ into
conservative causes they believe in, and for now, lower level elections (State) to try and get more conservatives in those offices, and I noticed they are big Tea Party advocates.

At least 2 things jumped out while I was scanning. Bill Maher wants to give the Koch Bros. "a big F--K You", and an organization
linked to Harry Reid had taken out a $500K ad smearing the bros.
I'm a big proponent of ANYthing that upsets Maher, and gets Reid's
dander up.

Beyond that, I saw a great number of Democrats, left-wing support groups, and others express concern over the Koch Bros deep pockets to try and swing elections around to more conservative candidates.

So my conclusion is that these bros are only trying to be the foil to a George Soros, and trying to gain headway into the left-leaning
stranglehold on some of the media. Though, with the advent of
electronic tech, I believe print media (or some of it) is on it's last legs, and may be a waste of money that could be more wisely spent.

Half the staff of the LA Times has "vowed to quit" if the Bros wind up buying that rag. In an economy such as the one we are currently in, that should be an easy indicator in the argument over whether most newspapers are slanted left or not.
YTube

AOL

#162254 May 14, 2013
.

Bible PROOF 1.5 BIL MUSLIMS to die ---

http://youtu.be/n7ok0g8iwJI


.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#162255 May 14, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>I gather from your posts, that you aren't particularly worried about any of it - and that the only thing really interesting to you about politics, is the data collection in service to posterity.
You're missing my point completely.

What I'm not worried about is the cockamamie crap, the formula used to artificially portray Soros or the Koch Bros not as supporters of causes and organizations they believe in, but instead as some sinister force out to take away freedom blah-blah-blah.

I really think I've been pretty clear about that.

I support the right of the Koch Bros and George Soros to spend their friggin' money however they see fit. I support the right of the organizations they fund to advocate whatever position they hold on the causes they're involved in.

That doesn't translate to thinking the causes themselves are in any way equal. That doesn't mean I support the agenda of the The American Legislative Exchange Council, or that I think the criticisms of the work of the SPLC on Roberta's list have the slightest basis in fact.

I hope that clears it up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 9 min bottom1980 734
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min seriously the ori... 538,798
Albright Blasts Bush Mideast Response, Cites Ir... (Jul '06) 13 min Swedenforever 45
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min Buck Crick 732,779
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 24 min Flower-Child 53,189
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min Thinking 226,284
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 41 min Tuco Blondie 117,957
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min Porkpie Hat 257,859
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 599,839
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••