Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#162277 May 14, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Earlier you said:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know I said that.

I looked at the website you've linked to (and not just that one page), and I haven't changed my mind. It's the same-old-same-old from where I'm sitting. While it's been updated with topical events related to current antagonist(s) and what I consider to be phony outrages, the basic concepts don't differ much from stuff fellow church members showed in the late sixties/early seventies, thinking they could convert me to a more political form of Christianity linked to conservative politics.

I rejected it then, and I still do.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162278 May 14, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<Wasteful spending>
Our tax dollars hard at work, both sides of the aisle guilty. These folks earn big $$ to "work" about 1/2 the year.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/...
I'd be happy to pay them twice as much $$$$ if they wouldn't "work" at all. When they "work", it cost us money.

Aw sh1t... I'm probably going to get an IRS audit notice for that one.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#162279 May 14, 2013
The IRS Targeting Scandal Could Disrupt Obamacare
May 14, 2013

"The Internal Revenue Service’s scandalous conservative targeting of Tea Party-themed and other groups could severely damage President Obama – but it’s not necessarily because anyone close to the White House sanctioned the allegedly independent actions by the tax collection agency.

The real fallout could be that it will impede Obamacare, which passed in 2010 under the official title of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

The IRS will largely administer this attempt at providing near-universal health insurance. It is responsible for overseeing the tax credits and tax increases in the law, and—most critically—ensuring that businesses and individuals comply with the individual mandate and other major provisions.

Prominent Republicans are already connecting the unpopular insurance program to the questions swirling around the IRS targeting of non-profits that grew out of the Tea Party movement.

Former House Speaker and GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich declared Monday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "How can you put Obamacare under the Internal Revenue Service?

“Why would you trust the bureaucracy with your health if you can’t trust the bureaucracy with your politics?" he said. "There are bureaucrats in the IRS who are capable of ruining your life while lying about it.”
====

Full article @
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-irs-target...

Tip:
If you aren't already a registered democrat, you may want to consider changing your party affiliation to democrat before you submit anything else to the KGB.
Oops-I meant to the IRS.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#162280 May 14, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be happy to pay them twice as much $$$$ if they wouldn't "work" at all. When they "work", it cost us money.
Aw sh1t... I'm probably going to get an IRS audit notice for that one.
It's already in the mail!

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#162281 May 14, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
The IRS Targeting Scandal Could Disrupt Obamacare
May 14, 2013
"The Internal Revenue Service’s scandalous conservative targeting of Tea Party-themed and other groups could severely damage President Obama – but it’s not necessarily because anyone close to the White House sanctioned the allegedly independent actions by the tax collection agency.
The real fallout could be that it will impede Obamacare, which passed in 2010 under the official title of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
The IRS will largely administer this attempt at providing near-universal health insurance. It is responsible for overseeing the tax credits and tax increases in the law, and—most critically—ensuring that businesses and individuals comply with the individual mandate and other major provisions.
Prominent Republicans are already connecting the unpopular insurance program to the questions swirling around the IRS targeting of non-profits that grew out of the Tea Party movement.
Former House Speaker and GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich declared Monday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "How can you put Obamacare under the Internal Revenue Service?
“Why would you trust the bureaucracy with your health if you can’t trust the bureaucracy with your politics?" he said. "There are bureaucrats in the IRS who are capable of ruining your life while lying about it.”
====
Full article @
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-irs-target...
Tip:
If you aren't already a registered democrat, you may want to consider changing your party affiliation to democrat before you submit anything else to the KGB.
Oops-I meant to the IRS.
So.

During the Iraq war, an aide approached GW Bush while he was napping in the Oval Office. The aide woke up the Prez, and told him, "Mr. President, four Brazilian soldiers were just killed in Iraq."

W left his slumber. First, he was afflicted with a deer-in-the-headlights look in his eyes. Next, he put his head down on his desk and wailed a long oooooooooh nooooooooh. After 45 seconds or so, he lifted his head and said to the aide, with terror in his eyes, "Tell me, how many is in a brazillion?

Humor is the best medicine. Reader's Digest.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#162282 May 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The kind of stand up Bruce and those that followed him did was very different from their predecessors, and I like both.
Did you know Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words" was originally a Lenny Bruce routine, only it was night clubs not radio?
Stand-up comedy was pretty bad in the days before Lenny Bruce. Guys telling stale jokes, and getting rim-shots to 'sell' them. A Real pioneer in Stand-up was Phil Foster. He played Penny Marshall's father om 'Laverne and Shirley'. In the fifties, he was working 'The Borshte Belt', and got tired of delivering the same old tired lines, and began telling of antics he and his friends had gotten into while they were out drinking. The audience loved it, and he expanded on it, and was a hit. Others followed suit.
New comics? Ever see Don Friesen? He does a killer bit on technology (I'm trying to think of a word you might understand.')

“Take It To The Limit”

Location hidden

#162284 May 15, 2013
Is the IRS still immune from prosecution? I remember awhile back, someone got screwed really bad by them, and fought like hell to get them into court. I don't remember the outcome.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#162285 May 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So.
During the Iraq war, an aide approached GW Bush while he was napping in the Oval Office. The aide woke up the Prez, and told him, "Mr. President, four Brazilian soldiers were just killed in Iraq."
W left his slumber. First, he was afflicted with a deer-in-the-headlights look in his eyes. Next, he put his head down on his desk and wailed a long oooooooooh nooooooooh. After 45 seconds or so, he lifted his head and said to the aide, with terror in his eyes, "Tell me, how many is in a brazillion?
Humor is the best medicine. Reader's Digest.
Leno: "I was going to start off tonight with an Obama joke but I don't want to get audited by the IRS."
===

You know what's really funny? I contend that if the American people knew in Sepember/October what we know now, Mr. I Have No Knowledge of Anything Going on in My Administration would be back in Chicago shooting hoops and Romney would be living in the White House.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#162287 May 15, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
Is the IRS still immune from prosecution? I remember awhile back, someone got screwed really bad by them, and fought like hell to get them into court. I don't remember the outcome.
There's a difference between immunity from civil suits (which is what the case you describe sounds like) and prosecution for criminal activity.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#162288 May 15, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Life is funnier than fiction. A couple of years ago we got a letter from the IRS that we owed 20,000. This was just after my husband had written a scathing, not so polite letter to Obama on his whitehouse website. We laughed alot, especially because our tax agent was able to get it figured out, about Obama being after anyone that didn't like or agree with him. But now I'm not so sure it was funny.
I wrote a scathing email to Al Franken about 6-8 months ago. Not long after I hit send, I started having regrets. LOL. I also wrote to Klobuchar quite awhile ago about Obamacare before it was passed. It took awhile but she wrote back to me personally and had read my email personally. I really was impressed with her response, but not necessarily her answer.

With franken it took about the same amount of time but it was an auto reply, about 3 weeks later I got another auto reply (same one). I doubt anyone ever even read that email or ever will..........
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#162289 May 15, 2013
Back to the topic of Soros, some may find this article curious.

"George Soros Funded ProPublica Ties to IRS Attacks on Tea Party and Patriot Groups
05/14/2013

A George Soros supported journalism group ProPublica says the IRS office that targeted and harassed conservative tax-exempt groups during the 2012 election cycle gave the progressive group nine confidential applications of conservative groups whose tax-exempt status was pending.

Appearing to “get out in front” of the scandal, ProPublica says the documents the IRS gave them were “not supposed to be made public” saying:

"The same IRS office that deliberately targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status in the run-up to the 2012 election released nine pending confidential applications of conservative groups to ProPublica late last year… In response to a request for the applications for 67 different nonprofits last November, the Cincinnati office of the IRS sent ProPublica applications or documentation for 31 groups. Nine of those applications had not yet been approved—meaning they were not supposed to be made public.(We made six of those public, after redacting their financial information, deeming that they were newsworthy.)"
ProPublica, which recently won its second Pulitzer Prize, initially was given millions of dollars from the Sandler Foundation to “strengthen the progressive infrastructure”–“progressive” being the code word for very liberal,” says Media Research Center Vice President for Business and Culture, Dan Gainor."

For entire article:
http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/george-soros...
===
In case anyone is having trouble figuring out why ProPublica is voluntarily coming out now about this, it's really quite simple. It's the old "Yes, I knew the car was stolen and I probably shouldn't have driven around in it for 2 years but I'm not the one who stole the car."
Roberta G

Tucker, GA

#162290 May 15, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
Back to the topic of Soros, some may find this article curious.
"George Soros Funded ProPublica Ties to IRS Attacks on Tea Party and Patriot Groups
05/14/2013
A George Soros supported journalism group ProPublica says the IRS office that targeted and harassed conservative tax-exempt groups during the 2012 election cycle gave the progressive group nine confidential applications of conservative groups whose tax-exempt status was pending.
Appearing to “get out in front” of the scandal, ProPublica says the documents the IRS gave them were “not supposed to be made public” saying:
"The same IRS office that deliberately targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status in the run-up to the 2012 election released nine pending confidential applications of conservative groups to ProPublica late last year… In response to a request for the applications for 67 different nonprofits last November, the Cincinnati office of the IRS sent ProPublica applications or documentation for 31 groups. Nine of those applications had not yet been approved—meaning they were not supposed to be made public.(We made six of those public, after redacting their financial information, deeming that they were newsworthy.)"
ProPublica, which recently won its second Pulitzer Prize, initially was given millions of dollars from the Sandler Foundation to “strengthen the progressive infrastructure”–“progressive” being the code word for very liberal,” says Media Research Center Vice President for Business and Culture, Dan Gainor."
For entire article:
http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/george-soros...
===
In case anyone is having trouble figuring out why ProPublica is voluntarily coming out now about this, it's really quite simple. It's the old "Yes, I knew the car was stolen and I probably shouldn't have driven around in it for 2 years but I'm not the one who stole the car."
Thanks, Lyndi. Boy, the dots are really connecting, aren't they?

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162291 May 15, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Leno: "I was going to start off tonight with an Obama joke but I don't want to get audited by the IRS."
===
You know what's really funny? I contend that if the American people knew in Sepember/October what we know now, Mr. I Have No Knowledge of Anything Going on in My Administration would be back in Chicago shooting hoops and Romney would be living in the White House.
I know why barry got re-elected... it wasn't only due to low information voters and those that think obama is Santa...

http://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2013/0...

"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." -Mark Twain

“Take It To The Limit”

Location hidden

#162292 May 15, 2013
BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
I know why barry got re-elected... it wasn't only due to low information voters and those that think obama is Santa...
http://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2013/0...
"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." -Mark Twain
You only got the one page in your quote book? Just wondering because you used the same one three or four times.
When I was a kid, I loved wuotes, and collected them the way other kids collected baseball cards. Then in college, a teacher said,'people who use quotes have nothing original to say. My collection went out the window the same day. Had a great memory up until about three years ago, and could quote tons of them, but age has caught up with me, and nowadays I have to look them up. If you need newer (and better) quotes, there's an online site that'll give you something different. wanna know the name of the site? Think of Jeopardy's 'stupid answers' catagory.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#162293 May 15, 2013
I agree, with everyone!

Location hidden

#162294 May 15, 2013
As far as heros, that's like beauty. It's in the eyes of the beholder.

Location hidden

#162295 May 15, 2013
My humble opionin however is no. Bush is no hero.

Location hidden

#162296 May 15, 2013
You can sue the IRS. One guy that didn't pay his income taxes did sue them, on the grounds that taxes were unconstitutional. He actualy won the case. The jury agreed, but he still had to pay his taxes.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#162297 May 15, 2013
Chaumette wrote:
<quoted text>
You can sue the IRS. One guy that didn't pay his income taxes did sue them, on the grounds that taxes were unconstitutional. He actualy won the case. The jury agreed, but he still had to pay his taxes.
The IRS is protected by the same sovereign immunity that covers state, local, and federal government entities.

No federal jury has ever agreed that income taxes were not constitutional. Frivolous lawsuits of this kind are filed every year, and they're generally summarily dismissed. Cases that do end up in court are, unless I'm mistaken, usually initiated by the IRS as collection efforts met with legal maneuvering on the part of the defendant in the case.

There was a widely misreported case about five years ago (Cider? Cryder?) where anti-tax and anti-government activists claimed a jury found in favor of a guy arguing that income taxes were unconstitutional. They did acquit him of the charges, but arguments about the constitutionality of income taxes were never presented in court and thus were never even considered by the jury.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#162298 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
You only got the one page in your quote book? Just wondering because you used the same one three or four times.
When I was a kid, I loved wuotes, and collected them the way other kids collected baseball cards. Then in college, a teacher said,'people who use quotes have nothing original to say. My collection went out the window the same day. Had a great memory up until about three years ago, and could quote tons of them, but age has caught up with me, and nowadays I have to look them up. If you need newer (and better) quotes, there's an online site that'll give you something different. wanna know the name of the site? Think of Jeopardy's 'stupid answers' catagory.
You and my mother have that in common, Blackheart. She has always loved to read, a trait which she took care to instill in me :) But our tastes in reading material are vastly different! She loves books of quotes of various kinds and I couldn't tell you how often Mom has sent me books of quotes for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Naturally, she saw to it that I got a copy of "BARTLETT'S FAMILIAR QUOTATIONS" when she heard I didn't have one (she'd taken it for granted that I did), and I'll NEVER forget the time she sent me a book of Shakespearean insults :D

Another time she sent me a dictionary, and not just ANY dictionary. The d*mn thing was so big it simply wasn't of any use at home, and must have weighed around 12 pounds :s All I ever used it for was as a doorstop and to press flowers. Eventually I donated it to a thrift shop :) The BARTLETT'S I still have, and I think I still have that book of Shakespearean insults too :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min DumpTrump 60,442
Is America 'Mystery Babylon,' mentioned in the ... 19 min Damn Jersey Piney 31
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Robert F 695,773
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 hr Mogadore 993,853
Sexual Desires: My wife pooping in my mouth (Aug '13) 9 hr KeepitDL 41
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 10 hr That Much Olde Sc... 2,506
Prove there is No God 12 hr Tellthetruth 7
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web