lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You're a hoot!
Funny, the feeling is mutual.
;-)

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#161565 Apr 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
Dang, it's gettin' downright damp. Hey, anybody got any gopherwood?
Brings to mind a trivia blast from the past for the olders in here. Who said:
"R-i-ight....what's a cubit?"
Now THERE'S a coincidence. Immediately before I saw this, I asked my dad if any of the trees on his two acres were gopherwood. It's been raining--usually POURING--here for 48 hours straight.

I always dreamed of living in a castle with a moat. Well, this is close enough :s Tornado watches, flood warnings all over the place here.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#161566 Apr 27, 2013
lisw wrote:
Have you heard that your hero Dr. Carson stuck his foot in his mouth and deep into his throat?

He's done.

You have to find somebody else now.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#161567 Apr 27, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Without talking about anything specific here my main gripe is that Pres Obama has a few times basically told people that don't agree with him to shut up. Did he use those exact words? No. In one speech he did say he didn't want certain people to ".... do a lot of talking"
I can think of >one< (1) instance to which you could be referring, and as usual, your truthiness filter is out of kilter. That ain't what he said at all, much less is it the spirit in which he meant it. He said something to the effect that those who stood by silent and watched us get in the financial mess we found ourselves in in 2008 shouldn't be wantin' to get all talky now it's time to clean up the mess.

I feel a whole lot the same way. A whole bunch of ya jacked on the same fiscal binge as the rest of the nation, got miraculously fiscal "clean" about Jan'2009 and now, like a "reformed" addict on the lecture circuit, ya's can't shut the heck up about how "irresponsible" everyone else is NOW. Where was yer fiscal yap for the preceding 7 years?

That's what he meant, and he was right. 1st amendment truth? Yer all a bunch of phonies.

If you've got any other >actual< instances where he told someone to "shut up", then.....ah, I know it's a waste of time. Just more of that pious "truth".

“The future begins”

every moment

#161568 Apr 27, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THERE'S a coincidence. Immediately before I saw this, I asked my dad if any of the trees on his two acres were gopherwood. It's been raining--usually POURING--here for 48 hours straight.
I always dreamed of living in a castle with a moat. Well, this is close enough :s Tornado watches, flood warnings all over the place here.
Interestingly enough, that was 9 days ago - by the next morning after I wrote that, we had 3 feet of Spoon River in the basement. A moat ain't all it's cracked up to be ;) Maybe we done it wrong.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#161569 Apr 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard that your hero Dr. Carson stuck his foot in his mouth and deep into his throat?
He's done.
You have to find somebody else now.
If you mean associating homosexuality too closely with pedophilia, he said he didn't mean that, apologized for the misunderstanding, then he said it's okay, get someone else to do the speech He certainly wasn't going to compromise his one man one woman stance, and I respect that even though I have no problem with gay marriage. The funny thing is that I hear from people who say they are supportive of gay marriage and the civil rights of the gay community will also say that the reason that priests abused boys is because they go into the priesthood because they are homosexual. Same people (usually people who hate religion). That is so stupid don't you think? But there is that pick and choose what you believe in right?
Ben Carson is not finished, he hasn't entered any race yet and I challenge you to find anyone who so gracefully and calmly stands up for what he believes in.
Now let me ask you this. Has "your" hero, Obama, made mistakes in your mind ever? I hope you say yes because otherwise you are way too entranced with him. Did you forgive him his mistakes? You should as long as they don't become a pattern.
But thankyou for thinking of me.
:)

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#161570 Apr 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Interestingly enough, that was 9 days ago - by the next morning after I wrote that, we had 3 feet of Spoon River in the basement. A moat ain't all it's cracked up to be ;) Maybe we done it wrong.
Of course not, Hip. Your only error was forgetting to add the crocodiles ;)

I knew that post was 9 days ago--that's why I was so surprised to read it immediately after speaking to my dad :)

Good night. Normally I'd already be in bed by now on a Saturday night, since tomorrow is Sunday. But my husband came across some minor flooding while he was on his way home from his truck yard this evening, and we've already heard reports of more, so we won't be going to church in the morning.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#161571 Apr 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Interestingly enough, that was 9 days ago - by the next morning after I wrote that, we had 3 feet of Spoon River in the basement. A moat ain't all it's cracked up to be ;) Maybe we done it wrong.
Sorry to hear that. My girlfriend's father is a township road commissioner around Macomb, and he lost two bridges to creeks that feed into the Lamoine.

I was doing disaster restoration work during the flood of '93 on both sides of the Mississippi around St. Louis (and sandbagging in my 'spare' time), so floods give me the heebie-jeebies.

Huh ... we had 500 year floods in 73 and 93. Might stay away from water this year.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161572 Apr 27, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG (as usual)! No one has a fan club here that I'm aware of.
What I "prefer" is for you treat others as they treat you, or simply ignore them.
<quoted text>
If you "poke fun" at someone and forget to post a smiley face,
that's on you. And I've been posting with Lis for the better part of 5 years, and have found there's only ONE other person that described Lis as a "goodie-2-shoes" type.
Wilson is constantly harassing Lis over her msgs, but has NEVER used that description of her, nor has HipGnosis or anyone else I can recall. The only other one was SHOVELHEAD, and I challenged her much more often than I do you.
<quoted text>
It was a RIDICULOUS notion to begin with.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#161573 Apr 27, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, you have to drop this 'government offices are closed on Sunday' bit. Whenever there's a major investigation going on like the one into the bombing and bombers, there's at least as many pencil neck geeks in the offices as there are agents in the field - including the mucky-mucks who make decisions like when to file charges.
The Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security were at 'General Quarters' that weekend, and some of them probably STILL are.
Second, the filing of formal charges requires certain procedures, which includes a reminder by the judge (in Federal court, usually a magistrate) of the rights of the accused.
Third, neither you nor I know anything about the communication between DOJ and the agents in the field, or between the supervisors and the field agents on site, other than some press reports that some of the agents expressed surprise at the timing. We don't know if that was just typical top-down FBI management or a deliberate decision by the supervisors to withhold the decision until the last minute for tactical reasons.
You want to question the timing, fine - I've got questions about the timing, and not knowing if anything was done wrong is different from swearing that everything was done right. The thing is, since I don't know (and doubt I ever will know) the specifics of the investigation in that hospital room, I probably won't be able to get those answers.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2327743117001/rep-... +(Internal+-+Video+-+Latest)

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#161580 Apr 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I can think of >one< (1) instance to which you could be referring, and as usual, your truthiness filter is out of kilter. That ain't what he said at all, much less is it the spirit in which he meant it. He said something to the effect that those who stood by silent and watched us get in the financial mess we found ourselves in in 2008 shouldn't be wantin' to get all talky now it's time to clean up the mess.
I feel a whole lot the same way. A whole bunch of ya jacked on the same fiscal binge as the rest of the nation, got miraculously fiscal "clean" about Jan'2009 and now, like a "reformed" addict on the lecture circuit, ya's can't shut the heck up about how "irresponsible" everyone else is NOW. Where was yer fiscal yap for the preceding 7 years?
That's what he meant, and he was right. 1st amendment truth? Yer all a bunch of phonies.
If you've got any other >actual< instances where he told someone to "shut up", then.....ah, I know it's a waste of time. Just more of that pious "truth".
Funny. I think that there were Maybe two people warning of the coming crunch with the banks and the real estate market, and Everybody was tellin them to shut up.
Back in the late nineties when Bubba was pushing for deregulation (eye of) newt was telling anyone who would listen that it was a bad idea. Well, I think it was newt. But the ones who would benefit the most wanted it, and they got it.
Anybody see 'the gang of eight's' plan for amnesty?(heh. some gang. Pee-Wee Herman could kick the shit out of the bunch of them all by himself.) It's almost the same crap that ronnie gave then twenty seven years ago. keys to the kingdom, free everything. they can bring thei relatives over. No need for work. Fuck americans, they get first dibs on all the jobs.
oops. this ain't aimed at you hip. Just bitching at the wind.

United States

#161582 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>If you mean associating homosexuality too closely with pedophilia, he said he didn't mean that, apologized for the misunderstanding, then he said it's okay, get someone else to do the speech He certainly wasn't going to compromise his one man one woman stance, and I respect that even though I have no problem with gay marriage. The funny thing is that I hear from people who say they are supportive of gay marriage and the civil rights of the gay community will also say that the reason that priests abused boys is because they go into the priesthood because they are homosexual. Same people (usually people who hate religion). That is so stupid don't you think? But there is that pick and choose what you believe in right?
Ben Carson is not finished, he hasn't entered any race yet and I challenge you to find anyone who so gracefully and calmly stands up for what he believes in.
Now let me ask you this. Has "your" hero, Obama, made mistakes in your mind ever? I hope you say yes because otherwise you are way too entranced with him. Did you forgive him his mistakes? You should as long as they don't become a pattern.
But thankyou for thinking of me.
I don't have time at the moment, but I will respond .
When I do, it will be about Carson.
Not about other people; not about Obama.
Not in response to your " challenge".
Just about Ben Carson.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#161583 Apr 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Wifes brother lost his place in Marseilles. Hang in.

Location hidden

#161584 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have time at the moment, but I will respond .
When I do, it will be about Carson.
Not about other people; not about Obama.
Not in response to your " challenge".
Just about Ben Carson.
How incredibly noble of you. But you see Catcher it's all about Obama. You can't talk about anything that is going on in our country without talking about Obama. I Know you are trying to do the "oh that's a diversion" thing, that's very popular in here but when you bring up a subject it is normal to point out the hypocricy of your statement. It invalidates it.

Location hidden

#161585 Apr 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I can think of >one< (1) instance to which you could be referring, and as usual, your truthiness filter is out of kilter. That ain't what he said at all, much less is it the spirit in which he meant it. He said something to the effect that those who stood by silent and watched us get in the financial mess we found ourselves in in 2008 shouldn't be wantin' to get all talky now it's time to clean up the mess.
You keep saying that "where were you when there was fiscal irresponsibility in the last administration" and we keep telling you that besides the war the massive spending didn't happen until Pelosi and Reed had a lock on congress. But the best answer is the unemployment rate was a freakin' 4% so in answer to your "where were you" I guess the answer is "working".

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161586 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
And you're a holler.

I wish you would shut up.
And I'm glad we have the First Amendment, because it means my wish is just that. A wish.
Not a mandate.

Happy Sunday!

“The future begins”

every moment

#161587 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You keep saying that "where were you when there was fiscal irresponsibility in the last administration" and we keep telling you that besides the war the massive spending didn't happen until Pelosi and Reed had a lock on congress. But the best answer is the unemployment rate was a freakin' 4% so in answer to your "where were you" I guess the answer is "working".
lisw, please tell me how much the "temporary" tax breaks added to the deficit, and what year they were initiated? What year was Medicare Part D passed? Why did the President initiate not one, but two wars, while telling a jittery public to go shopping with their tax rebates? Who initiated an entirely new bureaucracy in NCLB? An entirely new level of bureaucratic redundancy in Homeland Security? How much of the war supplementals went to "rebuilding" two Arab countries who otherwise don't particularly care for America? How many Billion$ of those dollars are still wholly unaccounted for? Why did the Defense budget balloon while troops were digging thru scrap piles for armor - where did that money go? Finally, what percentage of the >current< deficit comprise all of the above?

And what initiatives, particularly, did "Pelosi and Reed" add to the budget in 2007 or 08?

If you put half the research into these questions that you did on the healthcare bill, perhaps we could talk substance rather than feel-good revisionist spin. It's hard to get this fact through the hard-shell of partisanship, but yes, people were working then - it's the after-effects of all that rampant spending and irresponsible budget-management that are salient here.

“The future begins”

every moment

#161588 Apr 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to hear that. My girlfriend's father is a township road commissioner around Macomb, and he lost two bridges to creeks that feed into the Lamoine.
I was doing disaster restoration work during the flood of '93 on both sides of the Mississippi around St. Louis (and sandbagging in my 'spare' time), so floods give me the heebie-jeebies.
Huh ... we had 500 year floods in 73 and 93. Might stay away from water this year.
Heebie-jeebies is about right. Who needs a suspense flick when you can enjoy watching that slow inexorable rise as it creeps closer and closer to the house, enveloping first one "landmark" and then another, til it finally breaches the best efforts at containment. Had two pumps going and kept it down to floor level until the river level got so high that simple physics took over and it started burbling up in a six-inch fountain through the toilet, and then the sink drain. All over but the cleanup and insurance claims.

I worked that 93 flood, down in the lower Illinois, when they called out for anyone with a jon-boat to come down and help with transporting sandbags. That's a whole lotta fun in itself, running thru unknown waters in lo-lite with thunderstorms popping up at random. One humorous note - I noted to one of my riders not to hold on to the sides of the boat in case of a close lightning strike. He got the bright idea to flip over a bucket and sit on it for "insulation". I said, "That works - now you're the tallest thing in the boat." He slid off the bucket toot-sweet and just looked miserable.

“The future begins”

every moment

#161589 Apr 28, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear that. Wifes brother lost his place in Marseilles. Hang in.
Thanks. Got t'keep on keepin' on....

United States

#161590 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>How incredibly noble of you. But you see Catcher it's all about Obama. You can't talk about anything that is going on in our country without talking about Obama. I Know you are trying to do the "oh that's a diversion" thing, that's very popular in here but when you bring up a subject it is normal to point out the hypocricy of your statement. It invalidates it.
So you would prefer I not respond?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min It aint necessari... 839,063
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min RoSesz 590,344
Most black people don't mow their yards due to ... (Aug '09) 18 min dept of just stats 37
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 24 min stemaxgizmo 4,465
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 33 min Just Wondering 612,194
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 44 min Aura Mytha 271,349
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 48 min stemaxgizmo 99,998
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) Tue Finley 31
More from around the web