Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#161603 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't hate.
Nor do I believe in a "next place".
Live, laugh, learn, love.
Make the most of your life. This is what we have here.
You not only hate, you work quite hard at it. All I heard was Dr. Carson stand on the word of God (concerning gays) I don't doubt the day will one day come when anyone doing that may end up in jail in this nation. You are part of a large movement of people that take part in demonization of people like Carson. And I for one am a bit tired of it and will say so.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#161604 Apr 28, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
You not only hate, you work quite hard at it. All I heard was Dr. Carson stand on the word of God (concerning gays) I don't doubt the day will one day come when anyone doing that may end up in jail in this nation. You are part of a large movement of people that take part in demonization of people like Carson. And I for one am a bit tired of it and will say so.
I have an idea.

Why don't you run for office?

You can start the Anti-Demonization Party.

Has a ring to it, don't you think?

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#161605 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an idea.
Why don't you run for office?
You can start the Anti-Demonization Party.
Has a ring to it, don't you think?
Listen, I'D become a member immediately.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#161606 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK then.
Dr. Carson's "misspeak", in my view, says much about the man. He has far too much education and sophistication to attribute it to anything but a character flaw. What he said is abominable.
I am affiliated with his institution, and spent this weekend at the university. I discussed the incident with several high-ranking JHU faculty and administrators. The decision not to speak at the event was not his alone--he was pressured by peers and others, to avoid further publicity and for the good of the institution.
Carson's political career, at least in a significant position is, in my view, over. Finito. Done. Remember, my predictions have thus far been accurate. Let's see about this one.
A character flaw?

Are you serious?

Gimme a break, Catcher. That's no more logical or rational than Chris declaring you a hater because you think (as I do) that Dr. Carson's comment was reprehensible, the apology insincere.

It's probably not any less predictable, but that's another story.

Faith in a religion is a character flaw. Advocating a position you believe in motivated by that religion is not a character flaw - even one that seems behind the times, even one that is based on phony logic and sheer fearmongering.

Wrong? You'll get no argument out of me - but being wrong isn't a character flaw either.

Oh, and btw ... I doubt there was ever going to be a Carson political career in the first place, and the constituency he has the most appeal to won't be bothered by what he said in the first place.

Catcher1

United States

#161607 Apr 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>A character flaw?
Are you serious?
Gimme a break, Catcher. That's no more logical or rational than Chris declaring you a hater because you think (as I do) that Dr. Carson's comment was reprehensible, the apology insincere.
Faith in a religion is a character flaw. Advocating a position you believe in motivated by that religion is not a character flaw - even one that seems behind the times, even one that is based on phony logic and sheer fearmongering.
Wrong? You'll get no argument out of me - but being wrong isn't a character flaw either.
Oh, and btw ... I doubt there was ever going to be a Carson political career in the first place, and the constituency he has the most appeal to won't be bothered by what he said in the first place.
It's about who and what a person really is.

Carson slipped, and there he was, butt naked to the world.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#161608 Apr 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
Are you serious?
This should have read (I hope obviously) "Faith in a religion is NOT a character flaw."

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#161609 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK then.
Dr. Carson's "misspeak", in my view, says much about the man. He has far too much education and sophistication to attribute it to anything but a character flaw. What he said is abominable.
I am affiliated with his institution, and spent this weekend at the university. I discussed the incident with several high-ranking JHU faculty and administrators. The decision not to speak at the event was not his alone--he was pressured by peers and others, to avoid further publicity and for the good of the institution.
Carson's political career, at least in a significant position is, in my view, over. Finito. Done. Remember, my predictions have thus far been accurate. Let's see about this one.
Dr. Carson's statement was illogical, it was not abominable or hateful or anything else. I could give you many of these type of statements by Obama. I say this only because the rules should be the same for anyone making statements that people listen to. I don't much value your "predictions" I've predicted many things correctly but don't see myself as having any special skill that way. I can also flip a coin and get the answer right 25% of the time.

Location hidden

#161610 Apr 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
Are you serious?
I don't see why not. Many a political career was started with a good speech and then someone backing the person. And please spare me the 'type of people" spiel. I am not bothered by what he said even though I disagree because I know he didn't mean it the way it was twisted. Bad Bob has spoken similarly and I know his view does not come from any hate of homosexuals.

Location hidden

#161611 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's about who and what a person really is.
Carson slipped, and there he was, butt naked to the world.
Actually the term is "buck naked" but it's a colloquialism.

Location hidden

#161612 Apr 28, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not exactly hate Chris, he's totally caught up in the spin. I know that Bush said "you're either with us or against us" about the support of Al quaida, but liberals really really mean it. You cannot have beliefs differing from theirs without it being racist, homophobic, or a total hard- heartedness toward the poor.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#161613 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>It's not exactly hate Chris, he's totally caught up in the spin. I know that Bush said "you're either with us or against us" about the support of Al quaida, but liberals really really mean it. You cannot have beliefs differing from theirs without it being racist, homophobic, or a total hard- heartedness toward the poor.
True. And sometimes even other libs get caught off guard by it. Witness some time back when Juan Willimans, then working for NPR dared to go off and say something not pc. It worked out good for him but it was a teachable moment.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#161614 Apr 28, 2013
Yellow Star Seed is Back wrote:
Historical economic data bares this out...as it does on the effects of raising or lowering taxes(there is no consistent data that shows cutting taxes....or raising taxes has the desired effect on the economy that conservative or liberal economist claim. It is just that...a claim) and what impact that will have on economic growth.
Even if that were true (and I don't believe it is), common sense will usually set you free.

Cutting taxes, like Reagan & Bush did, puts more more duckets back into the consumers' pockets, who will then turn around and save some and spend some. That also boosts consumer confidence, which goes a long way in propping up the local economies. That in turn, spurs businesses to order more goods, and hire more people, reducing unemployment, and further adding to revenues payable to Uncle Sam. The economy hums along, barring unforseen natural or man-made crises.

Conversely, raising taxes may a have a short-term benefit, but will eventually fail, especially in a floundering economy. The positive effects listed above will sour quickly, as has been noted most recently.
Yellow Star Seed is Back wrote:
Capitalism doesn't require that something makes any sense, it only requires that it make a profit, the bigger profit the better....ramifications and repercussions be dammed.....and you still can't understand it.
Not all of us are brilliant economists like you, professor. Many of us have particular fields of interest, but are not PhDs on everything as you appear to be.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#161615 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see why not. Many a political career was started with a good speech and then someone backing the person. And please spare me the 'type of people" spiel. I am not bothered by what he said even though I disagree because I know he didn't mean it the way it was twisted. Bad Bob has spoken similarly and I know his view does not come from any hate of homosexuals.
I didn't say it came from any hate of homosexuals, lisw.

I do think the belief that you can link advocacy for gay marriage with advocacy of bestiality or pedophilia is more than merely illogical.

As far as why I don't think he's got a future in politics, I didn't say anything about "type of people", and I'm not going to get into a semantic argument over whether I meant constituency as 'type of people' in the derogatory manner in which you use the word liberal.

I don't think he has a political future because the professional politicians will eat him alive, and that will happen long before an election. It will happen in the primaries, if not before. It will happen at the teeth (hand) of his rival candidates in whichever party he chooses to run - not that there's much doubt what that would be.

Can we just cut to the chase and you tell me I don't think he has a political future because of liberal racism now?

Catcher1

United States

#161616 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Dr. Carson's statement was illogical, it was not abominable or hateful or anything else. I could give you many of these type of statements by Obama. I say this only because the rules should be the same for anyone making statements that people listen to. I don't much value your "predictions" I've predicted many things correctly but don't see myself as having any special skill that way. I can also flip a coin and get the answer right 25% of the time.
OK, show me a statement by Obama about pedophilia.

Catcher1

United States

#161617 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see why not. Many a political career was started with a good speech and then someone backing the person. And please spare me the 'type of people" spiel. I am not bothered by what he said even though I disagree because I know he didn't mean it the way it was twisted. Bad Bob has spoken similarly and I know his view does not come from any hate of homosexuals.
How did he "mean it"?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#161618 Apr 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if that were true (and I don't believe it is), common sense will usually set you free.
Cutting taxes, like Reagan & Bush did, puts more more duckets back into the consumers' pockets, who will then turn around and save some and spend some. That also boosts consumer confidence, which goes a long way in propping up the local economies. That in turn, spurs businesses to order more goods, and hire more people, reducing unemployment, and further adding to revenues payable to Uncle Sam. The economy hums along, barring unforseen natural or man-made crises.
Conversely, raising taxes may a have a short-term benefit, but will eventually fail, especially in a floundering economy. The positive effects listed above will sour quickly, as has been noted most recently.
<quoted text>
Not all of us are brilliant economists like you, professor. Many of us have particular fields of interest, but are not PhDs on everything as you appear to be.
I usually stay out of discussions of economics, because economists are like expert witness in court - you can find one with impeccable credentials to support any position. That said, I don't think there is anything like a simple formula or blanket rule that says lowering or raising taxes is good or bad for the economy. There are a variety of conditions that determine whether it will help or harm.

Location hidden

#161619 Apr 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
"D-u-c-a-t-s," BB, "DUCATS." "Duckets" are baby ducks. For shame :P

Good post, though :)

Location hidden

#161620 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, show me a statement by Obama about pedophilia.
I didn't say it was about pedophilia. But Obama and Biden have had their share of Things very badly said. Biden too stupid to even talk about, Obama trying to get around lies. One for instance is the promise he'd get the people who killed americans in Benghazi and has gone silent, but he's given leeway. he said his grandfather served in WWII. He did not. He has told so many whoppers and has been caught so many times but he gets a pass.

Location hidden

#161621 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How did he "mean it"?
There are many people who believe that as you away from the traditional definition of marriage you open a pandora's box. They believe that there are people who will say well if gays can marry than why can't I marry three women, an child, a donkey or whatever. That does not mean they equate homosexuals with pedophiles, bigamists, or people into bestiality. It does not mean they can't hate those things and still believe that homosexuals have a right to be together with all the civil rights given to marriage. Unfortunately that needs to be made quite clear to people like you who hop on the bandwagon shouting that he meant something evil. he didn't. It's as simple as that and I don't care who you know at john Hopkins. I assume it is people who think like you.

Location hidden

#161622 Apr 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say it was about pedophilia. But Obama and Biden have had their share of Things very badly said. Biden too stupid to even talk about, Obama trying to get around lies. One for instance is the promise he'd get the people who killed americans in Benghazi and has gone silent, but he's given leeway. he said his grandfather served in WWII. He did not. He has told so many whoppers and has been caught so many times but he gets a pass.
Actually, it's his large group of lemmings that get the pass--to Disneyworld.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min ROCCO 31,647
Couple in dallas tx looking for a female to hav... (Jan '15) 37 min rmmslat 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 52 min nanoanomaly 987,439
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Phooey 687,432
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 hr Ricky F 39,265
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 3 hr Johnny 6
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 4 hr Johnny 32
More from around the web