“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#161017 Apr 6, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
They remain in that cycle because of slavery. They were held down and degraded for generation after generation. You'd know better then I, but thats gotta be hard to break out of. i personally see signs of it happening, but I also think there is a long way to go.
JMO..........
I'm sure you mean slavery + Jim Crow/segregation, but when you just use the term slavery you give a false impression of the timeline by anywhere from seventy to a hundred years (depending on where in the country you're talking about).
TVnews

AOL

#161027 Apr 6, 2013

TOP TV PREACHER now vulgar, drinks, wears Catholic Collar --

http://youtu.be/dakrVCtYkXs

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#161028 Apr 6, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I believe we have an example here of "damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.
If you paid any attention to Ryan's "plan", which was adopted by the Romney campaign, it included cuts to Social Security. Some cynically noted at the time that the cuts didn't affect current recipients, but those in the future, thus avoiding alienating current senior voters by putting the reforms off onto those not yet affected. I may have missed it, but I don't recall anyone "leaning right" being this excited about SS cuts at the time.
Now the President, in an attempt at reaching bipartisan support for a budget plan, has reluctantly ("not ideal", he said) included modest SS reforms in his budget, primarily in the way cost-of-living raises are calculated.
Put simply, the Republican fiscal plan included SS cuts, and this was only noticed by "entitlement liberals". Now the President offers to incorporate some of their ideas, in bipartisan fashion, and he is criticized for it.
This is why I feel it obvious that many critics are more opportunists, than true democratic conservatives.
As my mama used to say, "Can't win for losin'...."
Its because he's using it as a bargaining chip (he's dumb like that). And there are no winners. Seniors lose and taxpayers lose..........

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#161029 Apr 6, 2013
<quoted text>
They remain in that cycle because of slavery. They were held down and degraded for generation after generation. You'd know better then I, but thats gotta be hard to break out of. i personally see signs of it happening, but I also think there is a long way to go.
JMO..........
Thanks for not commenting on my viscious vs vicious.
I know that African americans had alot more to deal with. It's not color it's history, but I do think we did a further disservice by allowing segregation, actually encouraging it. This may sound far fetched but I saw so many older people and disabled people just sort of give up when they were put into special housing units. I think it increases their isolation. I'm sure the thought was they were doing them a favor, keeping them comfortable with their own kind, easier to give services to. But I also wonder how much of it is to get them out of sight, for the comfort of other people.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#161030 Apr 6, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. Well time to help my wifes Dad move into a nuring home. Later.
Good Luck

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161031 Apr 6, 2013
<quoted text>
How would we get support? The money is behind the D's and The R's. The committees pick the candidate based on how they will represent the parties interest. If you or i run as a Green party member or an Indy OR Whatever we could barely get off the ground because of financial constraints. We couldnt get nearly the exposure the mainstream politicians could.
Its not gonna be easy. In all honesty anything less then a revolt cant bring change. JMO.
Go ahead and laugh and make fun of me Willie..........
Those picks and staves are looking better all the time...I say we start with Congress...and move 'up' from there.

But of course, I'm not the Lone Ranger.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#161032 Apr 6, 2013
I'd like to go on record with my opinion that President Obama's remark about our Attorney General being the "...best looking Attorney General ever," was sexist. Who here believes he would have said the same about a male Attorney General?

Even if John Hamm was the Attorney General, I doubt that his looks would be mentioned by the President in a public speech...

Just saying.

Lafayette IN

#161033 Apr 6, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for not commenting on my viscious vs vicious.
I know that African americans had alot more to deal with. It's not color it's history, but I do think we did a further disservice by allowing segregation, actually encouraging it. This may sound far fetched but I saw so many older people and disabled people just sort of give up when they were put into special housing units. I think it increases their isolation. I'm sure the thought was they were doing them a favor, keeping them comfortable with their own kind, easier to give services to. But I also wonder how much of it is to get them out of sight, for the comfort of other people.
But lisw, segregation was a fact before the first public housing areas were built (in the 20s or 30s, I think), both north and south, east and west. Segregation was the rule before the end of the Civil War, and as a whole this country was MORE segregated by 1890-1900 than it had been in 1865.

The facts don't support the idea that public housing was intended to hide anyone, since public housing (especially those projects built in the Great Society era) was built where they were already hidden or restricted/confined to.

At the same time the government was building public housing, the government was also taking steps to ensure that fair housing laws were enforced so that those with the means could move wherever they could afford to go. They were also taking steps to ensure that equal employment laws were enforced so that they had the opportunity to get the means to do that.

The comparison with the elderly and handicapped doesn't work because most of the elderly and handicapped put into a facility had, at one time at least, other options that those in public housing never did.

There are more reasons to criticize or find fault with public housing policy than there ever were individual units available at its height 30 years ago. I'm not defending it in whole or in part, but I think your theory/feeling goes way too far overboard.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#161034 Apr 6, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
I'd like to go on record with my opinion that President Obama's remark about our Attorney General being the "...best looking Attorney General ever," was sexist. Who here believes he would have said the same about a male Attorney General?
Even if John Hamm was the Attorney General, I doubt that his looks would be mentioned by the President in a public speech...
Just saying.
Ya' sure? Have you seen his wife? Her arms are almost as big as mine were when I was healthy. Before he was prez, I bet she used to kick his skinny ass when he got out of line.
The Oscars! Did anyone notice the recycled aluminum dress she had on? Bet it cost sixty-seventy grand. Don't worry, she didn't pay for it. We did. On a lighter note, she did get a return on the dress. She took it down to the can place and got a buck sixty for it.
Even put it back in the budget.(she's no thief.)

“Take It To The Limit”

Location hidden

#161035 Apr 6, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad your back, BH.
It makes sense what you're saying, but I can't help but notice that many immigrants came, were hated, lived poor and by the next generation broke out and went elsewhere, whereas many african americans remain in a viscious cycle generation after generation. I can't help but feel if the projects had not occurred, that if the great society had not occurred that full integration would have occurred and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think with all of the "help" we are giving new immigrants we will see other groups put into that viscious cycle. Obviously it's just a theory, I can't prove it.
The 'new' immigrants, starting with the vietnamese 'boat people' were given opportunities that most Americans weren't. They had access to government loans, free money, and affordable housing right from the start. I remember a story in the San Francisco Chronicle. A dozen boat people were arrested in Golden Gate park. Among things in their possession were a number of dead squirrels, foraged plants and roots, and thirteen one hundred dollar bills.
Turned out that they were one family and lived close to the park. Don't remember exactly how long they had been in this country, but it hadn't been too long.
That was in '76 or '77, when $1300. was quite a sum. My rent for a one bedroom apartment was $90.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#161036 Apr 6, 2013
"Gifted Hands" the Ben Carson story is on LMN @ 8:00 P.M. EST, tonight.
UdiotRaceMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#161039 Apr 6, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'new' immigrants, starting with the vietnamese 'boat people' were given opportunities that most Americans weren't. They had access to government loans, free money, and affordable housing right from the start. I remember a story in the San Francisco Chronicle. A dozen boat people were arrested in Golden Gate park. Among things in their possession were a number of dead squirrels, foraged plants and roots, and thirteen one hundred dollar bills.
Turned out that they were one family and lived close to the park. Don't remember exactly how long they had been in this country, but it hadn't been too long.
That was in '76 or '77, when $1300. was quite a sum. My rent for a one bedroom apartment was $90.
Hey the ugly US killed many Vietnamese people during the Vietnam war, money as reparation; come on , money can't bring back love ones, as human lives is sacred and can't be paid back with our Dirty bloody American money?
UdiotRaceMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#161040 Apr 6, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for not commenting on my viscious vs vicious.
Public housing is a way of segregating according to race...
UdiotRaceMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#161041 Apr 6, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot-on, Lyndi.
I first heard of Dr. Carson at least 20 years ago, when I read a Reader's Digest article about him. He seems to be exploding into the national consciousness now, and I can't think of a finer role model for young black men and women to look up to--or ANY American child, for that matter :)
Here you go ignorant...\

Amnesty International for human rights, p3
k"
While successive US governments have used ... international human rights standards as a yardstick by which to judge other countries, they have not consistently applied those same standards at home. In some areas international standards offer greater human rights protection than US domestic law, but the US authorities have refused to recognize the primacy of international law. The USA has been slow to agree to be bound by important international and regional human rights treaties: it is one of only two countries which have failed to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.(Somalia is other one)
LATIN ASIA AFRO Mid East

United States

#161042 Apr 6, 2013
Things THAT OUR CORRUPTED US Media won't tell you!

Journalist and Activist Allan Nairn Reviews Obama’s First Year in Office
interviewed by Amy Goodman and Anjali Kamat

In Somalia, Bush backed Ethiopia in an invasion of Somalia, basically an Ethiopian-US invasion of Somalia. Now Obama is pumping in new arms, new weapons, into the midst of the killing and chaos there. Somalis are streaming into Yemen as refugees. The already disastrous level of hunger and starvation is increasing. His body count probably exceeds that of Bush.

“Take It To The Limit”

Location hidden

#161043 Apr 7, 2013
The reason The United States didn't sign that was because it would have given outside forces influence in our government, which, I believe, goes against the Constitution.
I believe this decision to be correct. Any international law should stop at our borders. I also believe that that C*nt hillary tried to sell us down the river when she signed the small arms agreement with the UN several years ago. She signed another one just prior to her resignation, and That one finally drew fire from the media. The government is trying to use the UN to end-run the Bill Of Rights. And wouldn't you know? That candy-ass obama is all for it.
Reports show that there are Three Hundred MILLION hand guns loose in this country. With that many weapons 'laying around', If "guncrazy" Would be a whole lot worse if gun control didn't work, don't ya think?
Don't need to take away the guns. Besides, if a body Really wanted to kill someone, there's plenty of ways to do it without a GUN. knives, clubs, rocks, hit&run, blow 'em up, and on and on.
A comedian, some time back, said that his sister took away all the violent toys from her kid. Later on he went into the child's room, and the kid was running his toys over with his toy trucks.
If you took away the guns, I doubt that murders would cease, or even drop in the current rate. More than likely, people would resort to knives. What then? Is Uncle Sam gonna take away all of our sharp objects?

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#161044 Apr 7, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad your back, BH.
It makes sense what you're saying, but I can't help but notice that many immigrants came, were hated, lived poor and by the next generation broke out and went elsewhere, whereas many african americans remain in a viscious cycle generation after generation. I can't help but feel if the projects had not occurred, that if the great society had not occurred that full integration would have occurred and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think with all of the "help" we are giving new immigrants we will see other groups put into that viscious cycle. Obviously it's just a theory, I can't prove it.
I would suggest that the black "immigrant" experience is unique and finds no parallel with that of any other non-WASP grouping. We're talking about centuries of pervasive systemic, institutionalized societal bias predicated on hair and facial characteristics and skin color. This bias ran (runs?) throughout society, from top to bottom, endorsed by all levels of gov't and confirmed by Supreme Court decisions. 100 years after "emancipation" they were still knocking against the same stone ceiling in different guise. Did many give up fighting? Unfortunately yes. But it wasn't because of public housing - it was because many still couldn't find a living-wage job or simple respect from an allegedly enlightened society. Is public housing an ideal fix? Heck no, but it might be instructional to recall the tenement housing available on the "free market" that was many poor person's lot prior to public housing.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#161045 Apr 7, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
Just saying.
I'll go on record as saying Obama's comment was sexist by today's standards and I don't care. Men notice attractive women. They have since the beginning of time, they will until the end of time, it's what they do and no amount of outrage or goofy liberal progressive "let's re-wire men's thinking" campaign is going to change that.

What I do find offensive is the Grand Poobah of feminism, gender equality and the fake war on women is apparently too stupid to have not known that letting those thoughts exit his mouth would make twitter go all a-twit and make alot of people put their hands on their hips and wag their finger at the guy. What I find offensive is the POTUS having to apologize to a woman he good naturedly complimented because a bunch of people have decided that saying a woman is good looking is now worthy of tar and feathering.
This woman simply cannot conjure up anger at a man for thinking like a man. I just can't do it. My reasoning skills keep getting in the way and there is no way I'm going to throw a nutty over something like that because the Modern American Woman Handbook tells me I'm supposed to go ballistic when a man says a woman is attractive.
No can do.
==

Would Obama have commented on a male attorney generals looks? Doubtful I guess unless he was gay or ---> Joe Biden <--- who uttered these words describing Obama back in 2007 which I thought were outrageously offensive.
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

That didn't bother too many Americans I guess because they collectively voted for Biden as VP along with the "clean, nice looking" presidential candidate.

On a similar note, last week Michelle our Belle said she feels like a "busy single mom." No doubt that pleased all the struggling, busy, single mom's out there who don't have 24/7 live in help, chauffeurs, multiple vacations and no money worries.

{Maybe she didn't get a copy of the Modern American Woman handbook.}

“Take It To The Limit”

Location hidden

#161046 Apr 7, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll go on record as saying Obama's comment was sexist by today's standards and I don't care. Men notice attractive women. They have since the beginning of time, they will until the end of time, it's what they do and no amount of outrage or goofy liberal progressive "let's re-wire men's thinking" campaign is going to change that.
What I do find offensive is the Grand Poobah of feminism, gender equality and the fake war on women is apparently too stupid to have not known that letting those thoughts exit his mouth would make twitter go all a-twit and make alot of people put their hands on their hips and wag their finger at the guy. What I find offensive is the POTUS having to apologize to a woman he good naturedly complimented because a bunch of people have decided that saying a woman is good looking is now worthy of tar and feathering.
This woman simply cannot conjure up anger at a man for thinking like a man. I just can't do it. My reasoning skills keep getting in the way and there is no way I'm going to throw a nutty over something like that because the Modern American Woman Handbook tells me I'm supposed to go ballistic when a man says a woman is attractive.
No can do.
==
Would Obama have commented on a male attorney generals looks? Doubtful I guess unless he was gay or ---> Joe Biden <--- who uttered these words describing Obama back in 2007 which I thought were outrageously offensive.
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."
That didn't bother too many Americans I guess because they collectively voted for Biden as VP along with the "clean, nice looking" presidential candidate.
On a similar note, last week Michelle our Belle said she feels like a "busy single mom." No doubt that pleased all the struggling, busy, single mom's out there who don't have 24/7 live in help, chauffeurs, multiple vacations and no money worries.
{Maybe she didn't get a copy of the Modern American Woman handbook.}
Sorry for butting in here, but who was it that said barry's looks made his legs quiver? Was that Clueless Joe, too?

Lafayette IN

#161047 Apr 7, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
No can do.
Try not to let the fact that I pretty much agree with you here scare you.

;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Catcher1 774,328
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 559,111
Tarabya ( VESTEL ARIZA ) Ferahevler 299 I5 34 V... 5 min soleyhan 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min scirocco 119,637
Vestel Emirgan Vestel istinye Vestel - 299 I5 3... 15 min soleyhan 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min Holy Pure dr Shrink 604,872
VESTEL YENİKÖY – Hizmet Telefonu | 299 I5 ... 20 min soleyhan 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 265,027
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr waaasssuuup 441,759
More from around the web