Bush is a hero
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160929 Apr 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Quick aside, thinking back on my "off-topic" comment that generated unexpected discussion. I felt comfortable posting it to Roberta because I knew she would be a good sport. I was initially unfair in my assessment of her, and for that I sincerely apologize. I have grown to like her lots.
My problem with Lyndi is that she is so, so angry. I would think it would be harrowing to go through life carrying it.
Sorry to be off-topic.
That was a nice tribute to Roberta. Why did you feel compelled to bring Lyndi into it?

Since: Sep 10

Hong Kong

#160930 Apr 4, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>That was a nice tribute to Roberta. Why did you feel compelled to bring Lyndi into it?
My bad. The contrast hit me between Roberta's calm reason and Lyndi's vicious attacks on those of us who hold political views she disagrees with.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160931 Apr 4, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I may have some of my timelines mixed up but I mentioned Peck's addition a place in Hamilton Ohio that I knew well. It was slum housing long before where people came from kentucky and West Virginia. It was supposedly rebuilt during the 60's and became 100%, exclusively black housing. It was not maintained and I have to wonder if someone made lots of money collecting rents and failing to do basic upkeep. This is where I get into the control thing. If government provides affordable housing and everyone that lives there is black and the powers that be refuse to keep it liveable, isn't that about like tenement housing and poverty with no ability to get out? maybe intentions were good, but it feels to me like it was managed much like I fear Obamacare will be managed. Big, big ideas, all idealistic, but poorly planned for and managed. And ultimately noone has a choice.
Some public housing developments were in fact privately owned, but I don't think that started until after the 60s. They were built with government guaranteed low interest loans and required to be public (or mixed income) for 20 years. Several cities had a public housing crunch when the more successful ones ended the 20 year period and the developer went private or sold them and eliminated low income housing - but I think that was in the 90s.

There was no one reason public housing failed. They were locally controlled, so the boards that governed them often had their own agendas when deciding how or what to maintain.

Since we're kind of focused on Johnson's Great Society, it's worth noting that some of the more spectacular failures like Chicago's Cabrini Green or St. Louis's Pruitt Igoe, were in place and completed before Johnson took office. The first parts of Cabrini Green were opened in the 40s, and that part is the only surviving relic of it.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160933 Apr 4, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Some public housing developments were in fact privately owned, but I don't think that started until after the 60s. They were built with government guaranteed low interest loans and required to be public (or mixed income) for 20 years. Several cities had a public housing crunch when the more successful ones ended the 20 year period and the developer went private or sold them and eliminated low income housing - but I think that was in the 90s.
There was no one reason public housing failed. They were locally controlled, so the boards that governed them often had their own agendas when deciding how or what to maintain.
Since we're kind of focused on Johnson's Great Society, it's worth noting that some of the more spectacular failures like Chicago's Cabrini Green or St. Louis's Pruitt Igoe, were in place and completed before Johnson took office. The first parts of Cabrini Green were opened in the 40s, and that part is the only surviving relic of it.
Perhaps this is naive and tunnel visioned and you are much more familiar with the nuances than I, but it seems to me that if civil rights laws are passed you enforce them. I believe in affirmative action and I believe that laws of equal opportunity for work and education and housing and leaving african americans to their own will to succeed would have worked much better than the projects and the welfare. They would be much better now. We have a terrible tendency it seems to me not to enforce our laws. Integration I believe would have occurred much more rapidly and naturally. I know it would have been a battle but it would have been a battle worth fighting. I think we're doing the same darn thing with illegal immigrants. Some people want to keep them illegal because then you can give them crappy jobs and crappy housing and never let them expect anything better.If all people are equal darn it they need to be treated equal and if they aren't the person doing it is breaking the law.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160934 Apr 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Quick aside, thinking back on my "off-topic" comment that generated unexpected discussion. I felt comfortable posting it to Roberta because I knew she would be a good sport. I was initially unfair in my assessment of her, and for that I sincerely apologize. I have grown to like her lots.

My problem with Lyndi is that she is so, so angry. I would think it would be harrowing to go through life carrying it.
Sorry to be off-topic.
Well, thank you, Catcher, and apology accepted as well :) Actually, after the last few pages of this thread I'm feeling delightfully superior to the rest of you, having managed to stay mostly out of the fray ;)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#160935 Apr 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic.
You are unbelievably naive (or misguided), one or the other.

Intense anger over the re-coronation of someone who should NEVER, EVER have been there in the 1st place,(for example) does NOT necessarily translate into "going thru life carrying it".

And ANYone that cares for the USA, won't necessarily become "elated" because the POTUS, or other ins, wear a "R" instead of a "D", as history has proven chaos can emerge from either side.

You denigrate someone like Lyndi because she dares to oppose the mind of the great barrister, Chaser of Socal. She takes your pointed barbs and finds a way to stick YOU with them. And you often underestimate the minds of certain people, then get all flusternated when you actually read what they have to say, printed out.

As I've said b4, NONE of us are perfect, me far from it. For Topix discussion purposes, I can only hope you come back down to earth, and accept folks for who they are regardless of which side of the aisle they sit on.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#160936 Apr 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad. The contrast hit me between Roberta's calm reason and Lyndi's vicious attacks on those of us who hold political views she disagrees with.
OH my DEAR LORD!

Location hidden

#160937 Apr 4, 2013
Let me add this before I say anything else:

I personally have a high regard for Lyndi. She is clearly very intelligent, incisive and has more common sense in her little finger than most people have in their whole bodies. Lyndi and I disagree on some issues, but she has shown she can discuss the differences WITHOUT attacking the party(ies) with whom she disagrees.

She combines all that with a razor-sharp tongue, and THAT has made her the target of a lot of abuse in here. Since she's fully capable of defending herself, I won't attempt to fight her battles for her, but I did want to note that I think Lyndi has had more than her share of the boxing matches that go on in here. I like her and I respect her.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#160938 Apr 4, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
I personally have a high regard for Lyndi. She is clearly very intelligent, incisive and has more common sense in her little finger than most people have in their whole bodies. Lyndi and I disagree on some issues, but she has shown she can discuss the differences WITHOUT attacking the party(ies) with whom she disagrees.
She combines all that with a razor-sharp tongue, and THAT has made her the target of a lot of abuse in here. Since she's fully capable of defending herself, I won't attempt to fight her battles for her, but I did want to note that I think Lyndi has had more than her share of the boxing matches that go on in here. I like her and I respect her.
Of course I agree. Ditto for you, Lis, part-timer Mary of Colorado, former poster Linda (WWA), and a host of other gals past & present.

Politics is not in the ususal wheelhouse of most women, certainly not the younger set (IMO). But over the course of several years, all of you have shown to be as knowledgable and articulate as any male counterpart.

That was pleasantly surprising to me early on in here, because I felt a need for the female perspective as sort of a "balancer". Multiple cyber high-5s to youse.

Location hidden

#160939 Apr 4, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I agree. Ditto for you, Lis, part-timer Mary of Colorado, former poster Linda (WWA), and a host of other gals past & present.
Politics is not in the ususal wheelhouse of most women, certainly not the younger set (IMO). But over the course of several years, all of you have shown to be as knowledgable and articulate as any male counterpart.

That was pleasantly surprising to me early on in here, because I felt a need for the female perspective as sort of a "balancer". Multiple cyber high-5s to youse.
Just for the record, BB, that post was addressed to the thread in general, and not to anyone in particular :)

HOWEVER!!

On behalf of all the thread ladies, thank you, BB, and we adorn you with lipstick kisses all over your badbob face :)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#160940 Apr 4, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for the record, BB, that post was addressed to the thread in general, and not to anyone in particular :)
HOWEVER!!
On behalf of all the thread ladies, thank you, BB, and we adorn you with lipstick kisses all over your badbob face :)
Watermelon flavor I hope!
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160942 Apr 5, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Watermelon flavor I hope!
I kiss you all over your BadBob face but I don't wear lipstick,so I wouldn't leave a mark.

“Take It To The Limit”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#160943 Apr 5, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Some public housing developments were in fact privately owned, but I don't think that started until after the 60s. They were built with government guaranteed low interest loans and required to be public (or mixed income) for 20 years. Several cities had a public housing crunch when the more successful ones ended the 20 year period and the developer went private or sold them and eliminated low income housing - but I think that was in the 90s.
Hey Willie. Don't forget 'The Pink Palace' in San Francisco. As late as 1984, cops wouldn't go into the place after dark. It was/is located in the western district. Sounded kind of futuristic when I first heard it (western district, that is) but it was anything but.
as for public housing becoming 'all black', well, that was promoted by blacks, and basically enforced by blacks. Salishan, in Tacoma Washington. I applied there in 1976, while attending college, and the person in the office said,'You don't fit in.' Asked her why, and she said,'You're not black.' Asked my buddy George why they were so selective, and he said it was for the safety of folks who weren't black.
An aside. George grew up in Cabrini Green.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#160944 Apr 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
1) Quick aside, thinking back on my "off-topic" comment that generated unexpected discussion. I felt comfortable posting it to Roberta because I knew she would be a good sport. I was initially unfair in my assessment of her, and for that I sincerely apologize. I have grown to like her lots.

2) My problem with Lyndi is that she is so, so angry. I would think it would be harrowing to go through life carrying it.

3) Sorry to be off-topic.
1) You weren't initially "unfair" about your assessment of Roberta. You were initially wrong about Roberta. BUT?.... you get C+ for the effort it took to come up with a liberal adjective which diminished how wrong you were and lessens your accountibility for passing judgement on someone before you had the facts.
You vote the same way.
There's a surprise.

2) If the anger you percieve I have is now YOUR problem, I suggest you take that to a therapist. Tell him you're delusional. Tell him that even when you go to China you can't stop thinking about the invisible "Lyndi". Tell him you can't stop throwing pebbles at my window. Tell him that you're just like the boy who after 10 attempts to get a date with one particular girl and she still refuses him, he starts to insult her to soothe his bruised ego.

3) You're never on topic.

Since: Apr 13

Bonita Springs, FL

#160945 Apr 5, 2013
He is the last person I would call a hero. He lives on his family name.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#160946 Apr 5, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I kiss you all over your BadBob face but I don't wear lipstick,so I wouldn't leave a mark.
Even better, but hurry. I turn back into a jack-o-lantern at midnight, and no one wants to buss a 300lb squash.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#160947 Apr 5, 2013
Kayaken John wrote:
He is the last person I would call a hero. He lives on his family name.
How do you think Obama is doing?

#160948 Apr 5, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
I agree with your post.

Lyndi puts things in perspective and a few here take exception to it. Like i told Hip its hard enough to defend Obama's presidency and I guess having it put in front of your face like that has to be deflating..........

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#160950 Apr 5, 2013
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Willie. Don't forget 'The Pink Palace' in San Francisco. As late as 1984, cops wouldn't go into the place after dark. It was/is located in the western district. Sounded kind of futuristic when I first heard it (western district, that is) but it was anything but.
as for public housing becoming 'all black', well, that was promoted by blacks, and basically enforced by blacks. Salishan, in Tacoma Washington. I applied there in 1976, while attending college, and the person in the office said,'You don't fit in.' Asked her why, and she said,'You're not black.' Asked my buddy George why they were so selective, and he said it was for the safety of folks who weren't black.
An aside. George grew up in Cabrini Green.
BH, you must have ESP(n). I was dreaming of a sinister plot which had me arriving in Redding after a 6 1/2 hour drive. The storyline was murky but at some point, I'd noted that I'd hafta go back several pages in here to see if I could find your avatar to send you a PM, so we could try to meet up.

Anyway, good to see ya again.

Now if DS Higgins will pop back in, all will be in harmony once more.

#160951 Apr 5, 2013
Venguer wrote:
No he isn't!
Are there any politicians who are heroes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 104,409
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min guest 672,794
American Soldiers - Profiles In cowardice. (Mar '10) 48 min Ricky F 1,990
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RiversideRedneck 981,116
Gay/bi Skype Sex ? (Mar '14) 1 hr axc 1137 17
Let your Pigs sequel some more God!!! 3 hr doG mnaDed lyoH r... 1
ladies have you ever cheated on your BF while h... (Sep '15) 6 hr Unknown 9
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 hr onemale 286,297
More from around the web