Bush is a hero

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#160850 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>What exactly are you talking about? The early christians? The romans were very creative in their torture of Christians, I grew up on the stories and it was worse than any horror picture. Or are you talking about the coptic christians in Egypt who are in fear of going to mass because of bombs? i thought we were supposed to live in a country where we didn't have to be afraid.
Exactly. I have no idea what you think you read, but you're only re-iterating my point. Go Back To Start, Try Again.
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Is bullying by nasty words and an attempt to isolate any less harmful than an atomic wedgy or being stuffed in a locker? C'mon. I don't hear Chris moaning about being hit,
Exactly - no one is being isolated, or to use CC's words, "marginalized". So, yeah, he jumped upon an innocuous joke to "moan" about being isolated, when in fact nothing of the sort had occurred. Thank you so much.
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>he just wuld like to mention how he feels without being told that his Lord is a skydaddy. He isn't hurting you or trying to force you to believe as he does. I think you have a drum to beat and Chris is an easy target because he's young and is not perhaps as sophisticated in his rhetoric. Shame on you. Tolerance is tolerance and you hold yourself up as a beacon of tolerance. That's supposed to include things you don't feel like being tolerant about.
"I think you have a drum to beat..."

That's where we get into trouble every time. Quit trying so hard to psycho-parse what people say. You have no idea what I think beyond what I choose to write, right? I explained myself fully, but you feel you have some special dispensation to divine between the lines on all the inmates. You'll do as you please, but just so's we know, it's your own cut-out doll. It ain't me babe.

In fact, the record shows considerable tolerance to people's expression of faith here, primarily in respectful silence. To no avail, as we see here. May as well let 'er rip, hmm?

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160851 Apr 3, 2013
I don't believe this. You people are STILL AT IT?? Do I have to break the "In Case of Emergency" window and haul out the Whack-a-Mole 5000-with-Optional Nuke 'em All switch? For heaven's sake, I just had it installed :P I had to special-order it. If I have to use it, you're ALL DEAD MEAT.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160852 Apr 3, 2013
Hip wrote:
"In fact, the record shows considerable tolerance to people's expression of faith here, primarily in respectful silence. To no avail, as we see here. May as well let 'er rip, hmm?"

Oh man it does not take a psychologist to see your issues. Considerable tolerance ...in respectful silence??? That's rich. I think I'll try that.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160853 Apr 3, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
I don't believe this. You people are STILL AT IT?? Do I have to break the "In Case of Emergency" window and haul out the Whack-a-Mole 5000-with-Optional Nuke 'em All switch? For heaven's sake, I just had it installed :P I had to special-order it. If I have to use it, you're ALL DEAD MEAT.
With all due respect, Roberta, this is no joke or to me a bickerfest. I really feel I have something to say, so whack away, but I have to say what I think is right.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#160854 Apr 3, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, there ya go, a touch of honesty slips thru. bb points out the impropriety of excess, and you politely comply - I do the same, and I'm "intolerant". As I recall you didn't squeal to bb that "I won't be silenced!" You saw his point - a time and place for everything. Interestingly enough, that was one of my points as well. Apparently ideological alignment has everything to do with whether you're feeling "persecuted".
I know ya'll are expert at avoiding a person's point and assigning a different one entirely, but >for the record<, I was politely silent following Roberta's two "greetings". In fact, people display their faith in here quite frequently, and I defy anyone to find a discouraging comment from me when they do so, even when it gets ponderous and pompous. We've seen entire multi-post lectures on right doctrine and the path to salvation, and you'll find little to no comment from me, except, rarely, in the same vein, recalling my time "in the fold".
Again, it was NOT Roberta's scriptural homilies that drew my initial response. Not even the inevitable knee-jerk "indignation" at Catcher's joke. You gotta admit, the way you and others jumped out there at such a small provocation, it was almost like the "greeting" was bait, and ya'll were poised like holy jackals, primed to spring at the first opportunity to display your God Warrior Mode.
But I was politely silent. The upchuck point was when you tried to add his joke to your precious personal collection of "blessed persecutions" Christians in America have to endure. You're >always< talking about it. I thought it a perfect example to point out just what Chris Clearwater is talking about when he incessantly squeals "Persecution!".
Christians talking about being persecuted in America couldn't be more self-involved. If you know anything at all about the true persecution Christians have, and still, endure for their faith, I'd think you'd be embarrassed to include yourselves in that lot. It's almost like you feel guilty for your soft lives in comparison and have to imagine communing with the saints by ginning up these false "persecutions".
Same as ever eh Hip. You couldn't be more wrong. Sit in judgement, I don't care or have time for your crap. BB has done something you haven't once, treated me with repect. He also posted it once, you have done it countless times and many times not even on point.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#160855 Apr 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I believe he said he lost respect for her because of the way she was expressing her opinions, not because of her political affiliation. I don't think that's a subtle distinction, but it was apparently invisible to a whole lot of people.
I wasn't surprised at the reaction it got, because of the pack mentality that requires the defense of just about anyone who can pass themselves off as con. What DID surprise me is that after a 8-10 week break from the thread the pack was still howling every time he dropped in to poke his stick.
What Catcher has been proving ever since is that all he has to do to get the monkeys to dance is post something silly. We've been going on for two + pages now about a lame remark to Roberta and a dumb joke that's probably older than I am - and I've only got a few days left where I can deny I'm sixty.
If Catcher is shallow, what does it say about people who continue to take him seriously enough to respond after all this time?
And I almost forgot..........

Happy Birthday William..........

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160856 Apr 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Same as ever eh Hip. You couldn't be more wrong. Sit in judgement, I don't care or have time for your crap. BB has done something you haven't once, treated me with repect. He also posted it once, you have done it countless times and many times not even on point.
Perhaps bad bob is just less willing to beat a dead horse. He knows you'll never quit pleading 'persecution', and prostrating yourself in public piety, anyway...

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160858 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
Hip wrote:
"In fact, the record shows considerable tolerance to people's expression of faith here, primarily in respectful silence. To no avail, as we see here. May as well let 'er rip, hmm?"
Oh man it does not take a psychologist to see your issues. Considerable tolerance ...in respectful silence??? That's rich. I think I'll try that.
Hip is not intolerant of Chris and his faith (let alone religion in general), any more than Chris is intolerant of Hip and his questioning.

Hip and Chris disagree specifically about what actually constitutes intolerance toward Christians, and Hip's not the only one that thinks Chris will cry intolerance at the slightest prompting.

Now, it's obvious you're a woman on a mission. You've dropped the 'liberal males as chauvinists' and have now taken up 'liberals are intolerant' as your new quest.

You're not going to do any better at the new gig than you did at the old one, and it's fair to say there's more than enough "does not take a psychologist to see your issues" to go around.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160859 Apr 3, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps bad bob is just less willing to beat a dead horse. He knows you'll never quit pleading 'persecution', and prostrating yourself in public piety, anyway...
How much different is the way you describe Chris from what seems to be your knee-jerk response to the mention of faith in any context?
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160860 Apr 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hip is not intolerant of Chris and his faith (let alone religion in general), any more than Chris is intolerant of Hip and his questioning.
Hip and Chris disagree specifically about what actually constitutes intolerance toward Christians, and Hip's not the only one that thinks Chris will cry intolerance at the slightest prompting.
Now, it's obvious you're a woman on a mission. You've dropped the 'liberal males as chauvinists' and have now taken up 'liberals are intolerant' as your new quest.
You're not going to do any better at the new gig than you did at the old one, and it's fair to say there's more than enough "does not take a psychologist to see your issues" to go around.
Just calling them as I see them. Hip is no less intolerant than Kathryn. He has knee jerk reactions to any mention of faith but it is obviously skewed in Chris's disfavor. He sort of gives Roberta a pass perhaps for friendship sake, but if pushed turns on her as well. I know you feel a bond with him and that's fine but it does tend to make you less than fair. When in the heck does "silence" signify tolerance especially when that silence is forsaken for just plain vitriole. Chris is right. Hip does not show him any respect accorded to any human being. It's not a gig, I'm dead serious. You are quite anxious to find racism in anything someone says. Perhaps the misogynism claim by me was a bit of a get back. This is very different. I'm not one to stand by and watch injustice. So I stand where I stand. For Hip it is 50% religion and 55% Chris. That's ridiculous.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160861 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Just calling them as I see them. Hip is no less intolerant than Kathryn. He has knee jerk reactions to any mention of faith but it is obviously skewed in Chris's disfavor. He sort of gives Roberta a pass perhaps for friendship sake, but if pushed turns on her as well. I know you feel a bond with him and that's fine but it does tend to make you less than fair. When in the heck does "silence" signify tolerance especially when that silence is forsaken for just plain vitriole. Chris is right. Hip does not show him any respect accorded to any human being. It's not a gig, I'm dead serious. You are quite anxious to find racism in anything someone says. Perhaps the misogynism claim by me was a bit of a get back. This is very different. I'm not one to stand by and watch injustice. So I stand where I stand. For Hip it is 50% religion and 55% Chris. That's ridiculous.
The only thing ridiculous that I see here is the mental contortions you'll go through to find something wrong with the person you disagree with.

Do Hip and Chris clash? You betcha, but you have to be really stupid or really desperate to attribute that to a character defect on the part of one or another.

Since I don't think you're stupid, I can only attribute it to desperation of some sort or another, probably for a neat and tidty world where everything is as simple as an episode of Gunsmoke, with the good guys in white hats and the bad guys in black hats.

The idea that Hip is as reactive to the mention of religion as SKL? A lie. The idea that I'm anxious to find racism in others? Another lie you tell yourself because you really, really don't want to talk about racism for some reason. Because I respect the fact that eally, really don't want to talk about racism for some reason, I have let a lot of stuff pass since the election.

That the lie that I fear or disrespect conservative women was some form of payback for a perceived slight that I thought we'd put behind us long ago?

That I believe.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160862 Apr 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The only thing ridiculous that I see here is the mental contortions you'll go through to find something wrong with the person you disagree with.
Do Hip and Chris clash? You betcha, but you have to be really stupid or really desperate to attribute that to a character defect on the part of one or another.
Since I don't think you're stupid, I can only attribute it to desperation of some sort or another, probably for a neat and tidty world where everything is as simple as an episode of Gunsmoke, with the good guys in white hats and the bad guys in black hats.
The idea that Hip is as reactive to the mention of religion as SKL? A lie. The idea that I'm anxious to find racism in others? Another lie you tell yourself because you really, really don't want to talk about racism for some reason. Because I respect the fact that eally, really don't want to talk about racism for some reason, I have let a lot of stuff pass since the election.
That the lie that I fear or disrespect conservative women was some form of payback for a perceived slight that I thought we'd put behind us long ago?
That I believe.
Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a very different view of conservative women vs liberal woman. That you do is a fact. Is that misogyny, probably not. I do believe that Chaser and Hip have issues with women and when cornered it comes out, bad.
I am so willing to talk about racism, but I want to be heard, just as much as I hear you. I believe there is a nasty racism among the democratic party. Are you willing to talk about that? Or is it just the racism in the republican party that's allowed to be a subject of discussion? I believe I talked about that alot and your response was to basically poo-poo anything that didn't fit into your playbook. You don't recall how much I wanted to talk about that and how I made myself extremely vulnerable to talk about it? Yeah, Willie, you're so fair.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160863 Apr 3, 2013
Just want to add that I believe i want the end to racism in this country more than anyone. I believe that liberals don't much want that. What would they have to work with if that were to occur? Ben Carson says that he is maligned by liberal whites because he doesn't fit their vision of what black people should think. I believe he is right.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160864 Apr 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>How much different is the way you describe Chris from what seems to be your knee-jerk response to the mention of faith in any context?
Guessing you dismissed my post about Roberta not leaving her Easter greeting in an effort to gain accolades, at least not in MY opinion.

You seem to be pretty good at ignoring what you don't want to see too.

No biggie. We all do it.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160865 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Don't think for a minute that I don't think you have a very different view of conservative women vs liberal woman. That you do is a fact. Is that misogyny, probably not. I do believe that Chaser and Hip have issues with women and when cornered it comes out, bad.
I am so willing to talk about racism, but I want to be heard, just as much as I hear you. I believe there is a nasty racism among the democratic party. Are you willing to talk about that? Or is it just the racism in the republican party that's allowed to be a subject of discussion? I believe I talked about that alot and your response was to basically poo-poo anything that didn't fit into your playbook. You don't recall how much I wanted to talk about that and how I made myself extremely vulnerable to talk about it? Yeah, Willie, you're so fair.
You played the gender card on me over Palin and Bachman for the same reason some people play the race card on anyone who criticizes Obama.

It's a cheap, easy out. There is no other reason for you to have used it, and you apparently liked it - you're playing the card on every male liberal who shows up here.

We had a poster who appeared in the thread (Poggy Bill) who managed to work into one of his first posts something about the keys to racial purity. Since he was sufficiently anti-Obama, you leapt to his defense when I called him on it.

That kind of thing doesn't suggest the possibility of a productive discussion of race.

While this is not directly related, your recent Pollyanaish denial of the pervasiveness of the attitude leading to the use of a derogatory term for Middle Easterners doesn't suggest the possibility of a productive discussion of race either.

You once that you believe (paraphrased) that liberals are the real racists, and you assume I believe the opposite no matter how many different ways I've tried to tell you I don't see it as something as simple as one or the other.

You want a discussion about race? You really need to find someone who claims all opposition to Obama is racist.

Maybe Karl will come back for your discussion.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160866 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>A post doesn't have to be addressed to us for us to find it interesting or provocative. I recall thinking that I wanted to respond to Catcher that we are an ecumenical thread. Then I got sidetracked. I honestly don't see the big deal that people wanted to respond to that post.
Neither do I, and I still don't.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160867 Apr 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>You played the gender card on me over Palin and Bachman for the same reason some people play the race card on anyone who criticizes Obama.
It's a cheap, easy out. There is no other reason for you to have used it, and you apparently liked it - you're playing the card on every male liberal who shows up here.
We had a poster who appeared in the thread (Poggy Bill) who managed to work into one of his first posts something about the keys to racial purity. Since he was sufficiently anti-Obama, you leapt to his defense when I called him on it.
That kind of thing doesn't suggest the possibility of a productive discussion of race.
While this is not directly related, your recent Pollyanaish denial of the pervasiveness of the attitude leading to the use of a derogatory term for Middle Easterners doesn't suggest the possibility of a productive discussion of race either.
You once that you believe (paraphrased) that liberals are the real racists, and you assume I believe the opposite no matter how many different ways I've tried to tell you I don't see it as something as simple as one or the other.
You want a discussion about race? You really need to find someone who claims all opposition to Obama is racist.
Maybe Karl will come back for your discussion.
I guess I knew that would be how you'd handle it. No surprise there. Firmly shut it down then you don't have to put yourself out there.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160868 Apr 3, 2013
In Other News:

20,000 Roses Thrown At Willie (some with thorns still attached)

20,000 Balloons Released

20,000 Champagne Toasts Drunk in Honor of

Willie, New Official Member of the 20,000+ Post Club!

Congratulations, Willie :)

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160869 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I knew that would be how you'd handle it. No surprise there. Firmly shut it down then you don't have to put yourself out there.
He hasn't shut down anything - he left it wide open for you to refute. So refute it - right now, you're just ducking the discussion.

The only person who can 'shut you down' is you.

JMO

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160870 Apr 3, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I knew that would be how you'd handle it. No surprise there. Firmly shut it down then you don't have to put yourself out there.
Gee ... why would I be unwilling to 'put myself out there' with someone who resorts to accusing me of chauvinism because I disagree with the likes of Palin and Bachman?

Why would I 'put myself out there' with someone who is quite likely to insist that, in spite of what I say, she knows what I REALLY mean?

Must be because I'm a coward. Yeah, that's it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 8 min RiccardoFire 43,928
Supporting Trump like the fallen angels support... 16 min Doctor REALITY 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 17 min KENTUCKY OAKS 30,131
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min Bongo 968,911
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Barnsweb 18,499
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 638,092
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr MUQ2 280,526
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 8 hr An NFL Fan 38,053
More from around the web