Bush is a hero

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160754 Apr 1, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey doofus- I'm no expert on Christianity but I'm pretty sure Christ is always ON topic for the truly faithful and if you can't tell the difference between Roberta who actually walks the walk and the wannabe's who just talk the talk, you aren't too bright.
Lyndi, I want particularly to thank you for this. I really don't think Catcher meant any harm, but if you could write a post like this about ME--well, by golly, with Jesus leading me, I must be doing SOMETHING right :) Thanks, you made my day!

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#160755 Apr 1, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey doofus- I'm no expert on Christianity but I'm pretty sure Christ is always ON topic for the truly faithful and if you can't tell the difference between Roberta who actually walks the walk and the wannabe's who just talk the talk, you aren't too bright.
Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

Anyone - where do you think this teaching has actual life application? Did Jesus talk just to fill the space between the "really important" personal salvation bits? I don't know - my Bible colors all his words red, like they're all of equal value. Others seem to have different colors to tell between "command", "advisory", and, what? "Not applicable"? I need to get me one of those Bibles.

I don't know why C had to comment, I suspect he was just jacking with her. Possibly he noticed she had just recently chastised a drive-by for commenting on a post from the the early days of the thread. You're not supposed to do that, I guess. Why? I'm guessing because she felt it was inappropriate to the current run of the thread, or something like that? But her public prayer was different, because.....hmm.

The Uber-Pious believe they can blurt out anything in any public setting, and the rest of the crowd are supposed to quietly respect and admire their "commitment" and "piety". It's about the same consideration you're supposed to show when an autistic child blurts out in public, really. This room isn't any different then a bus station, a restaurant, or any other public place. But -- Yes, if someone feels "overcome by the spirit" and blurts out their public prayer, I generally just keep quiet. I didn't used to, but I learned. No need to give them fuel - they >really< get rolling if ANYone shows ANYthing less than agreement, or at least mute, bent-neck acceptance.

What tickles me is how it illustrates the real truth behind the uber-pious claims of being "marginalized" and "persecuted".

In America.

Yeah, crazy, huh? I guess I've read enough of the martyrs that I'd be ashamed myself to try and glorify myself that boldly. This petty stuff ain't just a different ballpark, it ain't even PeeWee ball compared to what they suffered - and usually in silence, following the Teacher's example. Whenever you hear the uber-pious American talking about their suffering with the saints? Here's a perfect example, from beginning to end.

Location hidden

#160756 Apr 1, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

Anyone - where do you think this teaching has actual life application? Did Jesus talk just to fill the space between the "really important" personal salvation bits? I don't know - my Bible colors all his words red, like they're all of equal value. Others seem to have different colors to tell between "command", "advisory", and, what? "Not applicable"? I need to get me one of those Bibles.

I don't know why C had to comment, I suspect he was just jacking with her. Possibly he noticed she had just recently chastised a drive-by for commenting on a post from the the early days of the thread. You're not supposed to do that, I guess. Why? I'm guessing because she felt it was inappropriate to the current run of the thread, or something like that? But her public prayer was different, because.....hmm.

The Uber-Pious believe they can blurt out anything in any public setting, and the rest of the crowd are supposed to quietly respect and admire their "commitment" and "piety". It's about the same consideration you're supposed to show when an autistic child blurts out in public, really. This room isn't any different then a bus station, a restaurant, or any other public place. But -- Yes, if someone feels "overcome by the spirit" and blurts out their public prayer, I generally just keep quiet. I didn't used to, but I learned. No need to give them fuel - they >really< get rolling if ANYone shows ANYthing less than agreement, or at least mute, bent-neck acceptance.

What tickles me is how it illustrates the real truth behind the uber-pious claims of being "marginalized" and "persecuted".
In America.

Yeah, crazy, huh? I guess I've read enough of the martyrs that I'd be ashamed myself to try and glorify myself that boldly. This petty stuff ain't just a different ballpark, it ain't even PeeWee ball compared to what they suffered - and usually in silence, following the Teacher's example. Whenever you hear the uber-pious American talking about their suffering with the saints? Here's a perfect example, from beginning to end.
Hip--I'm pretty sure that red-letter Bibles are just highlighting Jesus' words. They're not trying to say which of His words are the most important.

As for the rest of your post--I'm confused. What are you trying to say?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#160757 Apr 1, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>and that all has to do with Gibson's speech, how again?
Benghazi. As BB posted some of us think its quite important. The only reason I'm not as mad as BB is I don't know what it means to serve in uniform. I can guess but without a doubt its not something you can really know unless you have. Having said that most in my family has and says of obama he can go right to hell.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#160758 Apr 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Chris and Lyndi--thanks to you both, but I think Catcher was just having a little fun. Let him off the hook, please :)
Sorry Roberta. Some of this is a carry over from another forum but Catcher has been doing the same thing now for quite some time. I'm with Lyndi here, he is exactly what he claims he can't stand, a bigot and for one will say so.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#160759 Apr 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hip--I'm pretty sure that red-letter Bibles are just highlighting Jesus' words. They're not trying to say which of His words are the most important.
Hip has been saying the same thing since at least 07. No time for it anymore.
lisw

Georgetown, OH

#160760 Apr 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you asked that question. If Hip has any gumption he'll answer it without the innuendos.
Roberta G

Duluth, GA

#160761 Apr 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad you asked that question. If Hip has any gumption he'll answer it without the innuendos.
Okay. After rereading Hip's post, however, I do want to add this. My Easter posts from Saturday night and yesterday were NOT prayers, nor were they meant as prayers. They were just holiday greetings. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm rather surprised that anyone saw them as prayers.

Clearwater and Honolulu

#160762 Apr 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Okay. After rereading Hip's post, however, I do want to add this. My Easter posts from Saturday night and yesterday were NOT prayers, nor were they meant as prayers. They were just holiday greetings. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm rather surprised that anyone saw them as prayers.
I agree. Its clear that you are just thankful we can share who we are and I saw it the same way. What some would like is if those of faith would just shut up. Keep it out of the public. That I will never do.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#160763 Apr 1, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Its clear that you are just thankful we can share who we are and I saw it the same way. What some would like is if those of faith would just shut up. Keep it out of the public. That I will never do.
I expect 'those of faith' would like it, if their neighbors who don't appreciate being subjected to their public piety, would just 'shut up' about that too.

Neither is likely.

Just for the record, I'm certain Roberta was NOT offering her holiday greeting, in order to garner attention to her love of the Lord. Roberta, in my opinion,(for whatever it's worth) is sincere in her work to follow Christ, and isn't in it for the accolades.

If that were true of most of the Christians I've known, I wouldn't have such an objection to public piety; and I wouldn't so often have the feeling that it's being exhibited for its own sake.

But that's just me.

“The future begins”

every moment

#160764 Apr 1, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>

I understand that, because it wasn't written specifically to you, but to the topic in general as it presented itself in total. If you followed the string of posts following your two, then you'd see I said just what I meant to say on the subject.

There's a time and place for everything, as the Teacher relates in Ecclesiastes. No, your two weren't strictly prayers, but they weren't strictly greetings either. So, I was stretching a term in the same sense as yourself. In the sense that it was scriptural, it was closer to a prayer or homily than a greeting, and closing the first with John 3:16 was overtly evangelical. It seems to me that one displays one's commitment by consistently mirroring the Nazarene's example in one's personal walk, not by billboarding scripture, which is akin to "praying" in a public place. Anyhow, that's what I got from Matt 6:5, back in the day. One of my guiding quotes came from Francis of Assisi:“Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds,” which got bastardized over time to the more familiar, "Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." (He never said that one tho')

But if ya'll feel the spirit now and again, that's fine, I guess. History is witness that I keep my teeth clamped when you all do this here, as several do with regularity. It's no harm, and it makes you feel good about yourselves. No hassle here. I generally just wait 'til you're played out and get back on-topic, and that's what I did this time. That's what we're supposed to do, right?

But then the posts following yours brought into clarity the self-righteous frenzy that is visited upon anyone that dares speak out of turn while the "service" is underway. What makes it laughable is they go further and claim this is evidence of their "marginalization" and/or "persecution". I thought it a perfect spot to point out just what constitutes their sense of impending martyrdom, for future reference.

“The future begins”

every moment

#160765 Apr 1, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
See, there ya go.

YOU have the right to "display" your personal faith in any and all public place, in any form you choose, no matter how disruptive or confrontational. That's not your problem, right?

Those who just happen to be in the same public place but don't feel as you do must either conform, or remain meekly quiet, out of respect for YOUR faith, right?

And if they don't conform, or remain meekly quiet, until you're through, and go elsewhere to inflict YOUR right on someone else in some other public place, then YOUR rights are grievously infringed to the point of persecution. That about right?

I know just enough of the scripture to know who's really being glorified.....

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160766 Apr 1, 2013
Looks to me like Catcher has hooked at least four fish with his "Roberta you're off topic" remark.

I don't know whether it's funny, or sad...

Since: Sep 10

Nanning, China

#160767 Apr 1, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm, noooooo. That seems to be your thing.
Let me demonstrate.
Ready, Freddie?
<quoted text>
To which, YOU replied:
<quoted text>
==========
Yanking hypocrites out of their shadowy closets by their ears for all to see amuses me.......
Consider yourself --------> OUTED.
That was humor.

I can do that.

Real bigotry lives here

Hello from China!

Bye
lisw

Georgetown, OH

#160768 Apr 1, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>See, there ya go.
YOU have the right to "display" your personal faith in any and all public place, in any form you choose, no matter how disruptive or confrontational. That's not your problem, right?
Those who just happen to be in the same public place but don't feel as you do must either conform, or remain meekly quiet, out of respect for YOUR faith, right?
And if they don't conform, or remain meekly quiet, until you're through, and go elsewhere to inflict YOUR right on someone else in some other public place, then YOUR rights are grievously infringed to the point of persecution. That about right?
I know just enough of the scripture to know who's really being glorified.....
Now wait a minute. What if someone said they were uncomfortable with public displays of affection. Would that make you careful about kissing and hugging the one you love in McDonalds? And if you do are you inflicting your rights on someone else? Please. And if it happened to be a gay couple displaying such affection wouldn't a complaint be considered persecution. It just happens to be something you have a very low tolerance for. By any estimation it is still intolerance that you are guilty of.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160769 Apr 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>When I read that I think that the joke is not on Arabs but on Americans. See, Catcher wants so much to believe that the typical american calls anyone from the arab countries towel head. That makes him feel superior. The truth is that I have never ever heard anyone refer to anyone from the middle east as towel heads. I believe the first I ever heard it was when Prince Harry of England said it.
A joke like the one Catcher relayed works not because it reflects THE typical attitude of Americans, but because it reflects A typical attitude. It would be as wrong to assume it is THE attitude as it is to deny that enough people hold it to make the joke work.
lisw

Georgetown, OH

#160770 Apr 1, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>A joke like the one Catcher relayed works not because it reflects THE typical attitude of Americans, but because it reflects A typical attitude. It would be as wrong to assume it is THE attitude as it is to deny that enough people hold it to make the joke work.
You're right. It works much like clinging to bibles and guns works.

“The future begins”

every moment

#160772 Apr 1, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Now wait a minute. What if someone said they were uncomfortable with public displays of affection. Would that make you careful about kissing and hugging the one you love in McDonalds? And if you do are you inflicting your rights on someone else? Please. And if it happened to be a gay couple displaying such affection wouldn't a complaint be considered persecution. It just happens to be something you have a very low tolerance for. By any estimation it is still intolerance that you are guilty of.
Don't overplay your hand. There's an enormous difference between a hug and kiss, and making out in public. It's a question of propriety in common space. If you're cool with kids french-kissing at the next table in the restaurant, well, that's your thing. For me, it ain't appropriate public behavior. You may call it intolerance, I call it proper public behavior, forgoing personal indulgence out of simple common courtesy. Not a bad analogy, but to follow that same parallel, it's the difference between a smile and a God Bless You, and wallpapering scripture on the restaurant wall while singing "Are You Washed In the Blood.". One is a pleasant outward thoughtfulness, the other is self-centered imposition.
lisw

Georgetown, OH

#160773 Apr 1, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Don't overplay your hand. There's an enormous difference between a hug and kiss, and making out in public. It's a question of propriety in common space. If you're cool with kids french-kissing at the next table in the restaurant, well, that's your thing. For me, it ain't appropriate public behavior. You may call it intolerance, I call it proper public behavior, forgoing personal indulgence out of simple common courtesy. Not a bad analogy, but to follow that same parallel, it's the difference between a smile and a God Bless You, and wallpapering scripture on the restaurant wall while singing "Are You Washed In the Blood.". One is a pleasant outward thoughtfulness, the other is self-centered imposition.
I believe it is a difference of comfort in your own skin. I find a muslim stopping in a parking lot at dusk and prostrating himself in prayer fascinating and acceptable. Just as I find a family joining hands in a restaurant for a blessing of the food fascinating. I see no reason for people not to express joy in the things they hold important. I wasn't comparing it to having sex in front of everyone and you know I wasn't. Your comparison to singing "washed in the blood" is in left field too. How about if we let people be who they are and not interpret it as showing off?

Location hidden

#160774 Apr 1, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I understand that, because it wasn't written specifically to you, but to the topic in general as it presented itself in total. If you followed the string of posts following your two, then you'd see I said just what I meant to say on the subject.

There's a time and place for everything, as the Teacher relates in Ecclesiastes. No, your two weren't strictly prayers, but they weren't strictly greetings either. So, I was stretching a term in the same sense as yourself. In the sense that it was scriptural, it was closer to a prayer or homily than a greeting, and closing the first with John 3:16 was overtly evangelical. It seems to me that one displays one's commitment by consistently mirroring the Nazarene's example in one's personal walk, not by billboarding scripture, which is akin to "praying" in a public place. Anyhow, that's what I got from Matt 6:5, back in the day. One of my guiding quotes came from Francis of Assisi:“Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds,” which got bastardized over time to the more familiar, "Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." (He never said that one tho')

But if ya'll feel the spirit now and again, that's fine, I guess. History is witness that I keep my teeth clamped when you all do this here, as several do with regularity. It's no harm, and it makes you feel good about yourselves. No hassle here. I generally just wait 'til you're played out and get back on-topic, and that's what I did this time. That's what we're supposed to do, right?

But then the posts following yours brought into clarity the self-righteous frenzy that is visited upon anyone that dares speak out of turn while the "service" is underway. What makes it laughable is they go further and claim this is evidence of their "marginalization" and/or "persecution". I thought it a perfect spot to point out just what constitutes their sense of impending martyrdom, for future reference.
I see. Well, Hip, the next time you wish to use me to belabor people of faith and/or faith in general, please give me a few days' notice, so I can plan to be out of town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 864,674
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min WasteWater 272,412
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 5 min WasteWater 6,303
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 min sangili karuppan 7,501
Rajkot gay Topix 6 min karan 196
Sex with demon possessed doll 7 min PDXdave 57
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min WasteWater 6,473
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min June VanDerMark 599,684
The Christian Atheist debate 2 hr Lbj 1,996
More from around the web