Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

I was watching CNN today, while the debate over a bill designed to 'prevent the HHS from waiving (upon state application) the FEDERAL welfare-to-work requirement IN ORDER TO FACILITATE IMPLEMENTING STATE-BY-STATE PLANS' raged in the House of Representatives. I was appalled at the folks who were for this measure. The measure seeks to insist on Federal rules, in place of assenting to any State's request to implement its OWN welfare to work plans. I thought allowing states latitude in implementing Federal law, in order to best serve the people of a particular state, was the whole idea behind de-centralization of the government. And isn't that what Republicans/conservatives are about? So confusing.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
I was watching CNN today, while the debate over a bill designed to 'prevent the HHS from waiving (upon state application) the FEDERAL welfare-to-work requirement IN ORDER TO FACILITATE IMPLEMENTING STATE-BY-STATE PLANS' raged in the House of Representatives. I was appalled at the folks who were for this measure. The measure seeks to insist on Federal rules, in place of assenting to any State's request to implement its OWN welfare to work plans. I thought allowing states latitude in implementing Federal law, in order to best serve the people of a particular state, was the whole idea behind de-centralization of the government. And isn't that what Republicans/conservatives are about? So confusing.
Your answer is right here on this page, SKL.

The thinking goes that Obama doesn't really want people to get off welfare. He doesn't really want to give states the authority to waive the five year requirement, he wants to encourage dependency on the state.

So ... you may THINK that what some governors have requested is based on the current economy, but (according to that thinking) you'd be wrong. It's all part of Obama's master plan.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Your answer is right here on this page, SKL.
The thinking goes that Obama doesn't really want people to get off welfare. He doesn't really want to give states the authority to waive the five year requirement, he wants to encourage dependency on the state.
So ... you may THINK that what some governors have requested is based on the current economy, but (according to that thinking) you'd be wrong. It's all part of Obama's master plan.
Thanks for this.
I had a link to a site called 'The Hill', which started off thusly:
"The House voted Wednesday to block the Obama administration's attempt to waive a requirement that people must work or prepare for a job in order to receive federal welfare benefits." But that's not EVEN what the bill was really about, as far as I could discern from the debate.

As I said, it's very confusing.
And thanks for not referring to me as 'shovel' too.

:)

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the following is utter rubbish:
"Obama is...increas[ing] government control over the lives of ordinary Americans, and to encourage Americans to rely on the government to look after even the most mundane details of their lives".

I do not believe what you are saying is true, any more than I believed Bush was 'tearing up the Constitution' in going to war in Iraq or in prosecuting the war on terror or any of the other things that some people who opposed him bleated.

It's really simple. If I was scornful of false and ridiculous criticism of a President I didn't vote for either time, why would I not be scornful of the same sort of absurdities when they're hurled at one I did vote for?

No doubt? Hardly.
Another thing I don't doubt, Willie, is that if you perceived Obama to be doing the things that not just I, but millions across the land, believe him to be doing, you would indeed criticize him for it. But I am flabbergasted that you don't. For someone who is usually so clear-sighted, your vision is strangely clouded here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I explained to you that using Reverend Wright for 20 years as a mentor with his "God Damn America" speeches if not SCARY was disturbing and his lessons are deeply ingrained in Obama. He taught him to turn the tables on the white folk, level the playing field through whatever means necessary, get the money, build an underclass and keep the power.

And if you follow Obama's behavior he's throwing the little people scraps while he's running around living the high life like a kid in a candy store. Is that an elitist or should we just chalk it up to someone who falls into the category of nouveau-riche because having money and power is new to him and he's still in the giddy stage?

You can take the boy out of Chicago but you can't take Chicago out of the boy.
God, this is going to be a long 4 years.
Yes, it is. I can't help thinking of a mid-level drug dealer, who a...uh...friend to the people in the 'hood, paying their electric bills, buying them fancy clothes, etc. He'd be a much better friend to them BY NOT SELLING DRUGS, but as long as he keeps them happy with expensive pacifiers, they're not likely to care or even notice.

And then there's this, found it on the 'Net just now:

In Juvenal's time (55-127 A.D.)...the power of the emperors grew stronger and stronger. The once proud Senate...atrophied into a figurehead of an institution. However, Juvenal felt that the populace took the duties of citizenship far more seriously during the days of the Republic than in the virtual dictatorships of the Caesars.

He lamented that "the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now meddle no more and longs eagerly for just two things bread and circuses."

Those scornful words "bread and circuses,"...become more meaningful when you understand that Roman citizens became increasingly addicted to free distributions of food and the violent gladiatorial...contests held in the Coliseum ...He felt that Romans had lost the capacity to govern themselves so distracted by mindless self-gratification had they become.

Thus, bread and circuses, is a phrase now used to deplore a population so distracted with entertainment and personal pleasures (sometimes by design of those in power) that they no longer value the civic virtues and bow to civil authority with unquestioned obedience. Bread and Circuses has also become a general term for government policies that seek short-term solutions to public unrest.

Unfortunately, Juvenal's words apply quite strikingly to the United States...

http://www.thomasjamesmartin.com/breadcircus....

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is. I can't help thinking of a mid-level drug dealer, who a...uh...friend to the people in the 'hood, paying their electric bills, buying them fancy clothes, etc. He'd be a much better friend to them BY NOT SELLING DRUGS, but as long as he keeps them happy with expensive pacifiers, they're not likely to care or even notice.
In Juvenal's time (55-127 A.D.)...the power of the emperors grew stronger and stronger. The once proud Senate...atrophied into a figurehead of an institution. However, Juvenal felt that the populace took the duties of citizenship far more seriously during the days of the Republic than in the virtual dictatorships of the Caesars.
He lamented that "the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now meddle no more and longs eagerly for just two things bread and circuses."
Those scornful words "bread and circuses,"...become more meaningful when you understand that Roman citizens became increasingly addicted to free distributions of food and the violent gladiatorial...contests held in the Coliseum ...He felt that Romans had lost the capacity to govern themselves so distracted by mindless self-gratification had they become.
Thus, bread and circuses, is a phrase now used to deplore a population so distracted with entertainment and personal pleasures (sometimes by design of those in power) that they no longer value the civic virtues and bow to civil authority with unquestioned obedience. Bread and Circuses has also become a general term for government policies that seek short-term solutions to public unrest.

My peeps.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's everybody's take on the new Pope?
My peeps.
Everything old is new again...and an interesting choice, if only in a political sense.

The Monarchy of Papal Rome, is as relevant to Catholics as they want it to be.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you really think industrialists, or Wall Street, or any pure-profit seeker, plays by inherently different rules than these?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Everything old is new again...and an interesting choice, if only in a political sense.
The Monarchy of Papal Rome, is as relevant to Catholics as they want it to be.
I guess.

I find it all very strange.

One minute, he's a regular guy.

Next minute, he's infallible.

Go figure.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's everybody's take on the new Pope?
My peeps.
I'm not Catholic, but for what it's worth, I liked what I saw and heard of the man today. There's something about him I found very appealing, even though I never heard of him before this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Those hood'rats are just taking Capitalism to its logical conclusion: Make the most of what you perceive to have.
Do you really think industrialists, or Wall Street, or any pure-profit seeker, plays by inherently different rules than these?
I don't know whether or not those industrialists, etc. DO play by inherently different rules. I DO know that as long as the rules they're playing by are legal, they can play by 'em if they want.

Good to see you, Kat :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess.
Go figure.
The Lord works in mysterious ways, his wisdom to perform..........

'Splains damn near everything, what?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not Catholic, but for what it's worth, I liked what I saw and heard of the man today. There's something about him I found very appealing, even though I never heard of him before this.
Me, too.

Seems like a good, humble, decent, caring, and intelligent person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know whether or not those industrialists, etc. DO play by inherently different rules. I DO know that as long as the rules they're playing by are legal, they can play by 'em if they want.
Good to see you, Kat :)
Applies to most things, here in the good ol' USA.(Thank providence, and the foresight of our forefolks.) Presidents may come and go, but the People will be people regardless.

Good to see you too.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess.
Go figure.
Just like Obama.
I found that all very strange.
Just a regular guy one minute who no one ever heard of.
Screaming "Obama, Obama" by tearful, adoring crowds isn't any different than screaming "Viva Il Papa" by adoring, tearful crowds.

Go figure.

You never tire of setting yourself up, do you?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like Obama.
I found that all very strange.
Just a regular guy one minute who no one ever heard of.
Screaming "Obama, Obama" by tearful, adoring crowds isn't any different than screaming "Viva Il Papa" by adoring, tearful crowds.
Go figure.
You never tire of setting yourself up, do you?
Cute.

Lame, but cute.

Keep trying Lyndi, you'll eventually be a real Bill Maher.

Hit us with your best shot now.
Roberta G

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute.
Lame, but cute.
Keep trying Lyndi, you'll eventually be a real Bill Maher.
Hit us with your best shot now.
Personally, I think THAT one was a near-fatal chest wound :)

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I think THAT one was a near-fatal chest wound :)
That's my take on what happened to the Republican party on November 6, 2012.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I think THAT one was a near-fatal chest wound :)
To a bystander, maybe ...

“Google Operation Northwoods”

Since: Aug 10

** 9-11 was an inside job **

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Judged:

Shouldn't you be playing with your cats or something?
Your profile
"When I'm Not on Topix:
I'm beading or playing with my cats"
"I Belong To:
Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod"
4u
https://sites.google.com/site/911whatyoumight...
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I rarely click on Links even from people I like and respect, so why would I bother with yours?
That's ok others do. That's why you sheeple exist....closed minds.
http://red-pill.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 153,181 - 153,200 of168,974
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

552 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Divinity Surgeon 682,983
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 12 min Dang It 110,381
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 35 min scaritual 218,172
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 37 min andet1987 791
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 39 min Gods R Delusions x Mine 513,521
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 39 min andet1987 3,995
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 39 min RADEKT 250,743
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Internet dr Pipke 596,815
•••
•••
•••