Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#160089 Mar 9, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You're too wishy-washy for me. He didn't just take a vacation (you say February vacation like he ought to take a monthly one) He took a very expensive golf trip. And it's not just the money, it's about where he ought to be.
I frankly don't remember the not very nice when people said Bush was bad. Seems to me I always considered you on the "other" side. But maybe I wasn't paying attention to you.
I didn't go so far to say Obama is creating a ruling class but he certainly has made it possible for them to vote for something they don't have to put up with.
And so people may not have their tongues hanging out but they are seeing quick fixes that will not serve them well in the future. I believe you don't think he handled the sequester well. I believe you don't think he handled alot of things well.
There are always people who complain about a President "not being where he ought to be", like the anti-war anti-Bush activists who claimed he should stay in Washington while the troops were at war.

This is what you said in post 160066:
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth of the matter is (and I know I'll get the usual wild giggles from you and Willie) but I believe that Obama is creating a ruling class with his tax and spend way of doing things and then creating a huge poor class, who will follow him with their tongues hanging out because he seems to have solved a problem for them at the moment. Like I said he is scary.
So ... I'm not sure what you mean above when you say you WOULDN'T go that far, because you just did.

Yes, lisw, I am very much on the other side. I am an unabashed and completely unapologetic liberal Democrat - but that doesn't mean I buy into every cockamamie theory floated by other people on my side. In this thread we had ETC who kept claiming there was justification for impeaching Bush over Iraq, or Soulja Boy (?) who kept going on about Bush's faith - and I was on them every bit as harshly as anyone including you, bob, Fearless, DS, Roberta, and any other regulars I'm missing.

So ... I guess this is me 'giggling', lisw, although it's really not very funny. There's no politer way to put this - you're talking crazy talk.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#160090 Mar 9, 2013
lisw wrote:
Btw Willie. The biography of Varina Davis was really interesting. She was quite a lady and I really want to read a biography on Jefferson Davis now to see how the two compare.
I'm still plugging away at Davis's war memoir, but it's tedious almost to the point of excruciating.

Southern writers from the 2nd half of the nineteenth century were still clinging to the flowery, over-wordy style prevalent in the first half. You can easily detect a style difference between the Northern and Southern generals in their memoirs.

Davis is a bit stiffer than even some of his generals. I just read a book called "Jefferson Davis and His Generals: The Failure of Confederate Command in the West", and the author described Davis as 'tending to be overly legalistic'. You can tell it from the memoir.

Add onto that his desire to catalog every 'wrong' he perceived committed by the North, and an elaborate justification for the perpetuation of slavery - and it's tough work.

I downloaded that to my computer and phone for free using the Kindle app, so I can plug away at it at will.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160091 Mar 9, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>There are always people who complain about a President "not being where he ought to be", like the anti-war anti-Bush activists who claimed he should stay in Washington while the troops were at war.
This is what you said in post 160066:
<quoted text>
So ... I'm not sure what you mean above when you say you WOULDN'T go that far, because you just did.
Yes, lisw, I am very much on the other side. I am an unabashed and completely unapologetic liberal Democrat - but that doesn't mean I buy into every cockamamie theory floated by other people on my side. In this thread we had ETC who kept claiming there was justification for impeaching Bush over Iraq, or Soulja Boy (?) who kept going on about Bush's faith - and I was on them every bit as harshly as anyone including you, bob, Fearless, DS, Roberta, and any other regulars I'm missing.
So ... I guess this is me 'giggling', lisw, although it's really not very funny. There's no politer way to put this - you're talking crazy talk.
Well by gosh I did say that, didn't I. I really don't think Obama has the power to create a true ruling class, but he is definitely working on it. He is shrinking the middle class for sure unless you believe that more people on medicaid makes them middle class. I'm going to be quoting a couple things about Obamacare in the next few weeks but here is the first one I found. I consider myself middle class with the exception that we've reached a point in our lives that we have very little debt. But we are also on a fixed income now. I recently found out that for the tax year of 2013 medical expenses must be 10% of income as opposed to 7.5%. That pushes us one step closer to being poor. I'll keep you updated on what else Obama has done to screw over me and other middle class people. We know he's going after the wealthy, I just never thought that would include me.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#160092 Mar 9, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I know what you mean. It was 58 degrees here today and I was roasting. had to change into shorts.
I took from your article that jumps in the economy have tended to be short-lived and artificial. Cash for clunkers, energy credits and cash gifts for buying a house are bound to help those who already don't need the help that bad. I know someone who bought a first home and used the 8000 rebate for an extravagant honeymoon, outside of the country. I got a tax deduction for an energy efficient furnace. This may be what is happening now. Many many people have dropped out of the workforce. If you get government programs you know you'll be okay. For now.
Trust you to find the cloud in every silver lining.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#160093 Mar 10, 2013
Yes he is.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#160094 Mar 10, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still plugging away at Davis's war memoir, but it's tedious almost to the point of excruciating.
Southern writers from the 2nd half of the nineteenth century were still clinging to the flowery, over-wordy style prevalent in the first half. You can easily detect a style difference between the Northern and Southern generals in their memoirs.
Davis is a bit stiffer than even some of his generals. I just read a book called "Jefferson Davis and His Generals: The Failure of Confederate Command in the West", and the author described Davis as 'tending to be overly legalistic'. You can tell it from the memoir.
Add onto that his desire to catalog every 'wrong' he perceived committed by the North, and an elaborate justification for the perpetuation of slavery - and it's tough work.
I downloaded that to my computer and phone for free using the Kindle app, so I can plug away at it at will.
Back when he wrote it his wife did much of the organizing and writing it down and in a letter she agreed with you, it was long and tedious. She had a reputation for liking northerners too much and continuing to write to them as long as she could get the letters through. She also said the south could not win. She was not popular during the war but held up as an icon after.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#160095 Mar 10, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Back when he wrote it his wife did much of the organizing and writing it down and in a letter she agreed with you, it was long and tedious. She had a reputation for liking northerners too much and continuing to write to them as long as she could get the letters through. She also said the south could not win. She was not popular during the war but held up as an icon after.
He didn't really become an icon until after the war either.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#160096 Mar 10, 2013
Hi, folks. I figured it was about time I showed my face in here again. Now, excuse me while I read over the last couple pages to catch up a bit. I know how much you all are longing for the benefit of my vast intelligence, winsome charm and great wisdom :)

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#160097 Mar 10, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
Hi, folks. I figured it was about time I showed my face in here again. Now, excuse me while I read over the last couple pages to catch up a bit. I know how much you all are longing for the benefit of my vast intelligence, winsome charm and great wisdom :)
I hope that "thing" in your avatar isn't your face.
:)

Location hidden

#160098 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope that "thing" in your avatar isn't your face.
:)
They're Easter eggs, buster.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#160099 Mar 10, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
They're Easter eggs, buster.
That's no reason to dump it.

You must be on a phone?

Location hidden

#160100 Mar 10, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE it! Talk is cheap.
Actually, BB, no, it's not. Talk in Washington, D.C. costs the taxpayers more every day ;)

Location hidden

#160101 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's no reason to dump it.
You must be on a phone?
Nope, sitting in front of the 'puter at home (and glad to be, it's pouring outside). What made you think I was on a phone?

Location hidden

#160102 Mar 10, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I offered no excuses, I offered reasons. There are other sayings Hip, like you can't get blood our of a turnip, Buster brown. You cannot harm the engine that supplies the jobs. Sure the engine is going to keep some money for itself. if you try to make that selfish I'm not buying.

The truth of the matter is (and I know I'll get the usual wild giggles from you and Willie) but I believe that Obama is creating a ruling class with his tax and spend way of doing things and then creating a huge poor class, who will follow him with their tongues hanging out because he seems to have solved a problem for them at the moment. Like I said he is scary.
Sorry to cut your post short but I felt like talking for once.
You sure hit the nail on the head, Lyndi. Not that that surprises me :)

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#160103 Mar 10, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, sitting in front of the 'puter at home (and glad to be, it's pouring outside). What made you think I was on a phone?
Lost avatar.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#160104 Mar 10, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure hit the nail on the head, Lyndi. Not that that surprises me :)
Lyndi?

Or was that on purpose?

Location hidden

#160105 Mar 10, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Neither pissy or pithy, just the way I feel about the notion that Obama is scary or out to "creat[e] a ruling class". Your examples don't support your fears, in my opinion - but since I think the fear was concluded before you started grabbing stuff to stoke it, that's not surprising.
You've reached WIR territory.
She's far from it, Willie. In fact, she's right. Obama absolutely DOES want a ruling class, although not the kind that ruled France before the French Revolution. He wants a ruling class made up of people who think the government is the answer to all of life's problems. That would include but not be limited to the far-left types such as Michael Moore, and rich people willing to fund the same causes such as Soros, etc.

Don't think that's so outlandish, Willie. I'm afraid that EVERY nation has its "ruling class," no matter what it might be called. Soviet Russia had (or has) its ruling class--the governmental agencies, military brass and those few who control the supplies that everyone wants and needs. They had their pets, Olympic athletes, for instance, who got the best apartments, good quality food supplies, adequate medical care, etc.

It'll be the same here. I'm not saying America could be a Communist nation (God forbid), but a ruling class of some kind WOULD develop, and Obama seems to be trying awfully hard to facilitate that.

I could polish up this post more, I suppose, but it's late and even if I spent all night on it, I'd still get roasted over it, so why bother?

Location hidden

#160106 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lost avatar.
You lost my avatar? I'm genuinely confused :s
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#160108 Mar 11, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Neither pissy or pithy, just the way I feel about the notion that Obama is scary or out to "creat[e] a ruling class". Your examples don't support your fears, in my opinion - but since I think the fear was concluded before you started grabbing stuff to stoke it, that's not surprising.
You've reached WIR territory.
Being in Jerimiah Wrights congregation and using him for his spiritual mentor for 20 years if not scary was extremely disturbing. Wright became Obama's father figure because as is too often the case with that segment of our population, Obama's father was MIA perhaps? Wright is another one who thinks the African American community has been gypped and the current white generation owes them. I think it's the foundation for the level playing field platform Obama keeps pushing. The African American community hasn't evened out the playing field on their own so factor in affirmative action and redistribution and entitlements up the ying yang and force a false perception of evening things out. Obama is sick of waiting for things to even out, so his plan is to force it.
==

My feeling on that subject is more emphasis needs to be placed on personal responsibility but that unfortunately doesn't sell at the polls as we discoved once again in November. The stats for African American girls/women are around 70% for unwed mothers and missing fathers. The numbers of incarcerated black men are lopsided. The numbers of high school drop-outs are lopsided. And that is a huge problem yet I don't see Obama addressing it. He just wants to bandaid it.

Bill Cosby addressed this forbidden topic when he said,
"People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around...the lower economic people are not holding up their end of the deal. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all that crap, and all of them are in jail....They are standing on the corner and they can't speak English."

Now maybe it's not politically correct to say such things but many truths in todays's world go unchecked because of political correctness and Cosby may have hit on what alot of people think.
Shoving unpleasant truths under the rug and pretending you don't have a problem is very scary to me. Eventually we're going to trip over it and do a face plant.

Oh wait, we already have!

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#160109 Mar 11, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
She's far from it, Willie. In fact, she's right. Obama absolutely DOES want a ruling class, although not the kind that ruled France before the French Revolution. He wants a ruling class made up of people who think the government is the answer to all of life's problems. That would include but not be limited to the far-left types such as Michael Moore, and rich people willing to fund the same causes such as Soros, etc.
Don't think that's so outlandish, Willie. I'm afraid that EVERY nation has its "ruling class," no matter what it might be called. Soviet Russia had (or has) its ruling class--the governmental agencies, military brass and those few who control the supplies that everyone wants and needs. They had their pets, Olympic athletes, for instance, who got the best apartments, good quality food supplies, adequate medical care, etc.
It'll be the same here. I'm not saying America could be a Communist nation (God forbid), but a ruling class of some kind WOULD develop, and Obama seems to be trying awfully hard to facilitate that.
I could polish up this post more, I suppose, but it's late and even if I spent all night on it, I'd still get roasted over it, so why bother?
Not only do I think it's completely outlandish, I think it's a bad imitation of what the likes of Occupy scream about - using different bogey-men as the elites, of course.

It's crazy-talk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 5 min Riverside Rednek 59,316
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 19 min kent 695,378
"You Might Be A Liberal If..." 29 min Libs R Dumbacrats 3
CNN: Bill Cosby past away today after long batt... (Dec '08) 1 hr How does it feel 93
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Robert F 994,029
topix is a joke and unfair to the people who s... (Jan '09) 7 hr Ricky F 27
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 hr verykinky 446,246
More from around the web