|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in the process of reading the memoirs of Jefferson Davis right now. I am (according to Kindle) about 20% done, and he's still working on justifying secession.
It's amazing how topical many of his 'constitutional' arguments seem.
I see the Fifth & Sixth Amendment issues in the targeted killings of American al Qaeda members overseas, and I'm all for some kind of real solution. I'm not sure the ones proffered so far (FISA style courts and briefing Congressional leaders) are a real solution to the dilemma here.
I can even see, at least to an extent, the First Amendment arguments about the requirement for providing birth control. I'm not convinced that requiring a business entity to meet certain requirements amounts to "prohibiting the free exercise thereof".
Since you re-introduced the subject, I'll respond: I agree. Individuals should be responsible not only to exercise their preferred method, they should also be required to facilitate it. The only reason I'm in favor of insurance which covers any iteration of 'birth control', is that it is a preventative measure, which my conservative values incline me to value. If I pay for medical insurance, I expect it to cover that which will lower my overall medical expenditures. And if my employer offers insurance coverage which does that for my male counterparts (ie: fellow employees) I expect concomitant coverage to be offered for my gender.

Otherwise, one's employer should not be mandated to provide coverage AT ALL.

JMO.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

bad bob wrote:
This is the transcript of Rubio's SOTU rebuttal.
Perhaps one or two of you Obama enablers would like to take the time to point out where Rubio is incorrect or just plain wrong altogether.
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/02/12/full-tex...
Well I watched it so I don't need to read it as well, but thanks. A couple things stuck out:

I thought it sounded a little out of tune when he talked about how gov't programs hold people back, and then later talks warmly about how gov't financial aid made it possible for him to go to school, and how important Medicare was in caring for his mother. That's kinda been the problem with the "small gov't" message all along - their walk don't match their talk. They want to hit these talking points that sound real good in speeches, but then they get real vague when asked to be specific. This was a major glitch in the Romney/Ryan pitch. "Cut programs! But not the ones I think are good. Those other ones, like Planned Parenthood and PBS! That'll save us, like, some ten-thousandth of a percentage point in the budget, and tickle our base at the same time! Win-win!" So, yeah, it seems Rubio was just hitting his marks.

I also thought it was a little bit atonal when he suggested that this might have been a good time for the President to talk about a plan for fixing Medicare. Well, gee whiz, since I had just watched the President say that very thing, including implementing the findings of the Simpson-Bowles plan, I had to wonder what speech Rubio watched? I'm guessing his "rebuttal" was pre-written, and he was stuck reading the script, even tho' it was contradicted by the actual SOTU address that everyone just heard. Ouch! Embarrassing....

Besides that I just thought he looked awful thirsty (if you didn't see the speech you won't get that)
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well I watched it so I don't need to read it as well, but thanks. A couple things stuck out:
I thought it sounded a little out of tune when he talked about how gov't programs hold people back, and then later talks warmly about how gov't financial aid made it possible for him to go to school, and how important Medicare was in caring for his mother. That's kinda been the problem with the "small gov't" message all along - their walk don't match their talk. They want to hit these talking points that sound real good in speeches, but then they get real vague when asked to be specific. This was a major glitch in the Romney/Ryan pitch. "Cut programs! But not the ones I think are good. Those other ones, like Planned Parenthood and PBS! That'll save us, like, some ten-thousandth of a percentage point in the budget, and tickle our base at the same time! Win-win!" So, yeah, it seems Rubio was just hitting his marks.
I also thought it was a little bit atonal when he suggested that this might have been a good time for the President to talk about a plan for fixing Medicare. Well, gee whiz, since I had just watched the President say that very thing, including implementing the findings of the Simpson-Bowles plan, I had to wonder what speech Rubio watched? I'm guessing his "rebuttal" was pre-written, and he was stuck reading the script, even tho' it was contradicted by the actual SOTU address that everyone just heard. Ouch! Embarrassing....
Besides that I just thought he looked awful thirsty (if you didn't see the speech you won't get that)
Nope, didn't watch it. I did see online Cnn made a fed case of him drinking water as well. As I've asked for, oh, 7 years now do libs ever ever ever ever do as they say? Ever? I think Sen Rubio is a man so yea he may pause to drink. I've seen the coward we have as Pres do it, I've seen Sec. of State Clinton do it. Also Hip since about half the nation knows that most of the words that come out of the mouth of Obama mean nothing and his actions prove he doesn't care I would see Rubio on message. I won't expect any on the left that support the worst Pres in my lifetime to agree. Here is the Cnn bit. Cnn, the most trusted name in news, lol.

CNN: Could Rubio sipping that water be a career-ender?

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/13/cnn-cou...
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Just wondering did the Pres say anything about Chris Kyle at the sotu?

Nearly 7,000 people attend memorial service for ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/chri...
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

One more. Some time back I posted I thought is something was wrong it was wrong and left/ right meant nothing. I may have been wrong. There is no excuse for the words of Marc Lamont Hill. No excuse for evil and him pretending its ok.

This is in ref of the Ca. cop killer:

And, as far as Dorner himself goes, he’s been like a real-life superhero to many people. Now, don’t get me wrong, what he did was awful, killing innocent people is bad. But when you read his manifesto, you read the message that he left, he wasn’t entirely crazy. He had a plan and a mission, here. And, many people aren’t rooting for him to kill innocent people; they’re rooting for someone who was wronged to get a kind of revenge against the system. It’s almost like watching ‘Django Unchained’ in real life. It’s kind of exciting.”

What a poor excuse of a person. I guess I was wrong because if this is what the left sees as exciting I want to vomit. I'm sure the wife that just lost a husband doesn't find it exciting.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/13/dorner-...

“There’s no waste here, though. I mean, this has been an important public conversation that we’ve had about police brutality, about police corruption, about state violence. I mean, there were even talks about making him the first domestic drone target. I mean, this is serious business here. I don’t think it’s been a waste of time at all.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well I watched it so I don't need to read it as well, but thanks. A couple things stuck out:
Ummmmmmmmm...whut?

JK

If the only thing one can criticize Mr. Rubio for is thirst...or was that just the awkward boardinghouse reach.....I guess he's doing ok for a first-termer..........

Oh, wait....

:)

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Chris Clearwater wrote:
One more. Some time back I posted I thought is something was wrong it was wrong and left/ right meant nothing. I may have been wrong. There is no excuse for the words of Marc Lamont Hill. No excuse for evil and him pretending its ok.
This is in ref of the Ca. cop killer:
And, as far as Dorner himself goes, he’s been like a real-life superhero to many people. Now, don’t get me wrong, what he did was awful, killing innocent people is bad. But when you read his manifesto, you read the message that he left, he wasn’t entirely crazy. He had a plan and a mission, here. And, many people aren’t rooting for him to kill innocent people; they’re rooting for someone who was wronged to get a kind of revenge against the system. It’s almost like watching ‘Django Unchained’ in real life. It’s kind of exciting.”
What a poor excuse of a person. I guess I was wrong because if this is what the left sees as exciting I want to vomit. I'm sure the wife that just lost a husband doesn't find it exciting.
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/13/dorner-...
“There’s no waste here, though. I mean, this has been an important public conversation that we’ve had about police brutality, about police corruption, about state violence. I mean, there were even talks about making him the first domestic drone target. I mean, this is serious business here. I don’t think it’s been a waste of time at all.
I had to google this guy Hill, who presumes (or more likely, you assume) speaks for 'the left'.

I share your disgust at what he had to say, but it reminded me of something.

Beck: People ‘Pushed To The Wall’ By ‘Political Correctness’ May Turn Into Psycho Killers

By Matt Corley on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:03 pm

On Tuesday, an Alabama man named Michael McLendon killed 10 people in a shooting spree before committing suicide in what has been called “the worst rampage in Alabama’s history.” Police are continuing to interview people who knew McLendon and his victims, but said today that “there’s probably never going to be a motive” found.

During a conversation with Bill O’Reilly on Fox News today, Glenn Beck offered up his own theory about McLendon.“First of all, this guy’s a psycho,” said Beck. Beck added that listening to the description of him, he was reminded of “the American people that feel disenfranchised right now” and “that feel like nobody’s hearing their voice.”

He then questioned whether these people who feel silenced by “political correctness” are likely to “turn into that guy” when “pushed to the wall”:

BECK: Yada yada yada. And every time they do speak out, they’re shut down by political correctness. How do you not have those people turn into that guy?

O’REILLY: Well, look, nobody, even if they’re frustrated, is going to hurt another human being unless they’re mentally ill. I think.

BECK: I think pushed to the wall, you don’t think people get pushed to the wall?

O’REILLY: Nah, I don’t believe in this snap thing. I think that that kind of violence is inside you and it’s a personality disorder.

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2009/03/12/367...

“The future begins”

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Ummmmmmmmm...whut?
JK
If the only thing one can criticize Mr. Rubio for is thirst...or was that just the awkward boardinghouse reach.....I guess he's doing ok for a first-termer..........
Oh, wait....
The only thing? I put a whole bunch of words ahead of that closing wink. Maybe it didn't post, Clearwater seemed to have the same reaction. hmmm....;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The only thing? I put a whole bunch of words ahead of that closing wink. Maybe it didn't post, Clearwater seemed to have the same reaction. hmmm....;)
Indeed. Devil's advocate is an interesting position, hmmm?

;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I had to google this guy Hill, who presumes (or more likely, you assume) speaks for 'the left'.
I share your disgust at what he had to say, but it reminded me of something.
Beck: People ‘Pushed To The Wall’ By ‘Political Correctness’ May Turn Into Psycho Killers
By Matt Corley on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:03 pm
On Tuesday, an Alabama man named Michael McLendon killed 10 people in a shooting spree before committing suicide in what has been called “the worst rampage in Alabama’s history.” Police are continuing to interview people who knew McLendon and his victims, but said today that “there’s probably never going to be a motive” found.
During a conversation with Bill O’Reilly on Fox News today, Glenn Beck offered up his own theory about McLendon.“First of all, this guy’s a psycho,” said Beck. Beck added that listening to the description of him, he was reminded of “the American people that feel disenfranchised right now” and “that feel like nobody’s hearing their voice.”
He then questioned whether these people who feel silenced by “political correctness” are likely to “turn into that guy” when “pushed to the wall”:
BECK: Yada yada yada. And every time they do speak out, they’re shut down by political correctness. How do you not have those people turn into that guy?
O’REILLY: Well, look, nobody, even if they’re frustrated, is going to hurt another human being unless they’re mentally ill. I think.
BECK: I think pushed to the wall, you don’t think people get pushed to the wall?
O’REILLY: Nah, I don’t believe in this snap thing. I think that that kind of violence is inside you and it’s a personality disorder.
http://thinkprogress.org/media/2009/03/12/367...
I 'googled' this guy:
http://garethbranwyn.com/

Just for the Halibut.
(Learned a lot...)

“The future begins”

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Indeed. Devil's advocate is an interesting position, hmmm?
;)
The company's tolerable, anyhoo....;O

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Just wondering did the Pres say anything about Chris Kyle at the sotu?
Nearly 7,000 people attend memorial service for ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/chri...
No.

He left that up to Kyle's Family, Friends, Fan-club, and the Fringe Element.

Plays better in Poughkeepsie...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The company's tolerable, anyhoo....;O
Why, thank-you, kind sir.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Labor Participation Rate 63.0%

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in the process of reading the memoirs of Jefferson Davis right now. I am (according to Kindle) about 20% done, and he's still working on justifying secession.
It's amazing how topical many of his 'constitutional' arguments seem.
I think the South had plenty of justification for secession... state's rights seemed to have a lot more meaning back then. Today, the 10th Amendment seems to be the one that can be easily ignored by the feds.

Most of the Confederate soldiers were not slave owners, but they didn't believe the federal government should be telling the South how to run their states, and intefere with their economy.

I always felt that slavery would have soon died on its own, without the need for 600,000 Americans to die, and the irreparable damage the Civil War had on the 10th Amendment.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
I see the Fifth & Sixth Amendment issues in the targeted killings of American al Qaeda members overseas, and I'm all for some kind of real solution. I'm not sure the ones proffered so far (FISA style courts and briefing Congressional leaders) are a real solution to the dilemma here.
I think you already know my thoughts on this. I don't care that al-Awlaki and the other dirtballs got whacked, I'm actually happy that they're dead. But without some kind of independent oversight to justify the killing of American Citizens without due process, I worry about where this may go.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
I can even see, at least to an extent, the First Amendment arguments about the requirement for providing birth control. I'm not convinced that requiring a business entity to meet certain requirements amounts to "prohibiting the free exercise thereof".
The 1st Amendment allows for free speech, but a private business may fire any employee that makes statements against the businesses' core beliefs and goals. I believe the same should be true for an owner's religious beliefs. He should be not be forced to violate his religious beliefs, as long as it's not illegal, anymore than he should have to allow employees the free speech to badmouth his business.

Face it, your boy doesn't have much respect for the limitations that the Constitution intentionally imposes on the federal government's powers. obama seems to see the Constitution as a huge inconvenience to implementing his federal nanny state... not the law of the land that he swore to uphold and protect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>No.
He left that up to Kyle's Family, Friends, Fan-club, and the Fringe Element.
Plays better in Poughkeepsie...
What do you know, you spelled it correctly.

Actually, it played better in Texas. Several thousand folks turned out in some nasty weather to honor him. The funeral procession was as much as a couple of miles long, and traveled a distance of about 200 miles.

Texans do know how to pay tribute to our heroes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
I always felt that slavery would have soon died on its own, without the need for 600,000 Americans to die, and the irreparable damage the Civil War had on the 10th Amendment.
Ya know, Hitler would have eventually died, whether or not he was hounded by the Allies, the Ruskies, or his own Sturmfuhrers.

His 'suicide' proved that.

um...
NEXT.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you know, you spelled it correctly.
Actually, it played better in Texas. Several thousand folks turned out in some nasty weather to honor him. The funeral procession was as much as a couple of miles long, and traveled a distance of about 200 miles.
Texans do know how to pay tribute to our heroes.
Texans put on a helluva seance too..........

http://winchestermysteryhouse.com/allegedhaun...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

BobinTX wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the South had plenty of justification for secession... state's rights seemed to have a lot more meaning back then. Today, the 10th Amendment seems to be the one that can be easily ignored by the feds.
Most of the Confederate soldiers were not slave owners, but they didn't believe the federal government should be telling the South how to run their states, and intefere with their economy.
<quoted text>
I think you already know my thoughts on this. I don't care that al-Awlaki and the other dirtballs got whacked, I'm actually happy that they're dead. But without some kind of independent oversight to justify the killing of American Citizens without due process, I worry about where this may go.
<quoted text>
The 1st Amendment allows for free speech, but a private business may fire any employee that makes statements against the businesses' core beliefs and goals. I believe the same should be true for an owner's religious beliefs. He should be not be forced to violate his religious beliefs, as long as it's not illegal, anymore than he should have to allow employees the free speech to badmouth his business.
Face it, your boy doesn't have much respect for the limitations that the Constitution intentionally imposes on the federal government's powers. obama seems to see the Constitution as a huge inconvenience to implementing his federal nanny state... not the law of the land that he swore to uphold and protect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
ONE: The Constitution of the United States is NOT in the business of negating or dismissing, or removing RIGHTS, but in RECOGNIZING them.

and TWO:
This President was DULY ELECTED, regardless of your objections.

Too bad, Bobin.

Face it..........America has spoken.

Your band didn't beat the right drum hard enough.

There's always 2016.
Good luck.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>Ya know, Hitler would have eventually died, whether or not he was hounded by the Allies, the Ruskies, or his own Sturmfuhrers.
His 'suicide' proved that.
um...
NEXT.
Hitler would have eventually died, but not the evil Third Reich that he created... not without outside help.

Slavery ended peacefully in most countries without the need for a bloody war.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>ONE: The Constitution of the United States is NOT in the business of negating or dismissing, or removing RIGHTS, but in RECOGNIZING them.
The Constitution recognizes people's rights, but it restricts the federal government... or it's supposed to.
and TWO:
This President was DULY ELECTED, regardless of your objections.
Too bad, Bobin.
Santa Claus and his low information voter base proved too hard for someone with questionable conservative values to beat.

Even so, the Constitution is still the law of the land, not Executive Orders or failure to enforce the law.
Face it..........America has spoken.
I think the truth is actually that fewer American's spoke. Even though barry received millions less votes than in 2008, too many conservatives stayed home.
Your band didn't beat the right drum hard enough.
Precisely! I thought improving the economy, reducing the debt/deficit and increasing job opportunities would have far more weight than it did. Government handouts won out.
There's always 2016.
Good luck.
BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
You're right, there are some very impressive possibilities for the 2016 ticket.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 152,481 - 152,500 of171,442
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

418 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Aura Mytha 716,415
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min headlinesYoutube 529,970
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min CunningLinguist 223,158
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... 19 min Rgknrgkn 58
Judge Linda Warren Hunter, Dekalb County (May '08) 30 min Rob wellon 219
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 36 min andet1987 1,476
I'm a girl wanting other girls. 41 min andet1987 21
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 47 min Commander Bunny 255,691
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 11 hr Liz 61
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••