Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Sure. Doesn't mean I can't express my thoughts. Or does it???
:)
No, it doesn't mean you can't express your thoughts - but I don't quite understand why you thought Hip was in any way denying Roberta the opportunity to give credit where she believes it is due.
lisw

Circleville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I think sometimes we're so vested in arguing we assume every post is a prelude to argument. It was just a philosophical question as an extension of a previous conversation Roberta and I had. If she has the same reaction as you, I'm gonna guess I either wrote it poorly, or had the bad luck to come into the room at the wrong time.
Oh Hip, if I were looking for an argument I'd be talking about that abomination, the Affordable Care Act. But I'm not and didn't think I was argumentative. I didn't recall your previous conversation with Roberta and I knew you weren't talking to me, your post and previous ones just spurred some thoughts. Just think of it as thinking out loud.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing personal, Hip, but I'm in no mood to compose any kind of reply tonight.
No worries. Bad time, I guess. Best to you and yours....

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I realize you're not trying to prevent Roberta from giving credit where credit is due, but I'm not sure there's an answer to your question beyond the obvious one.
What you would say about those who manage to do good and act properly without a faith is that they are nice people.

I mean, what is else is there to say about them, Hip? There's absolutely NOTHING that says you can't be a nice person or do good things (or have good things happen to you) without faith.

Now ... as a matter of belief, a person of faith might think that a person without faith doesn't know when God is working through them or blessing them, in much the same way the person with NO faith believes that there's nothing but chance or fate or luck involved.
Just looking for a non-flaming dialogue about whatever. Bored, I guess, chores all done and nothin' on TV. She made a comment that triggered further thought at my end - just was hoping to explore it a little bit. No big deal, I wasted time until the news comes on anyway. I hear they had a little weather up in the NE.

On that last point of yours, I would say there's more than chance or luck involved. I think choosing right is, or can be, just as intentional whether it be from a faith initiative or "just the right thing to do".

Take it easy, ya'll! Later.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No worries. Bad time, I guess. Best to you and yours....
Thanks. I'm glad I checked back long enough to see this. I'd like to reply to your post, actually, but tonight I don't have either the time or the will to give it the attention it deserves. Gimme a day or two :)

Good night all.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
If the woman doesn't want to raise the child, or finds she can't handle it, then she should allow it to be adopted. The child shouldn't have to pay with its life for being an inconvenience--and may I point out that even AFTER the child is no longer a babe-in-arms, has begun to eat solid food, etc.--there are still millions of men and women out there who would love to adopt and raise it.
By the way, I see someone tagged this post and your earlier one with negative icons. Just for the record, it wasn't me.
I never imagined that it was you. I figure, like me, you would rather have your say, if you have one, than to 'hide' behind the judgicons. For one thing it's more satisfying, and for another, it's much more honest.

I agree wholeheartedly, that adoption would be a better alternative to abuse. But the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of children labeled 'unadoptable' by the State-run facilities (and even foster homes) in which they reside, belies your statement that there are millions of folks who'd love to adopt and raise them. Most folks who consider adoption are ONLY looking for babies under the age of 6 months, and in this country, most are only interested in those of the same racial appearance as the parents.(Before anyone brindles, I didn't say 'all', now, just 'most'...there are exceptions.)

Growing up knowing 'Mom didn't want me', regardless of how beloved one is by adoptive parents, is part of having been adopted, especially these days, when adoptive parents are encouraged to tell the child as soon as possible. How one handles the resulting emotions, is up to that person; but I suspect a majority of women who have given their babies away, tend to accentuate the negative,(because that's what some humans do) and castigate themselves for it their whole lives.

And some folks think they should. Society, rather than lauding women who give their kids to someone else to raise, looks askance at them, as 'can't hack it pantywaists'...not as heroes.

Adoption laws have made it incredibly complicated to become an adoptive parent. In my opinion, the focus of this whole issue, should be making adoption more accessible and parent-friendly...but then there's always the chance that the child is being adopted for nefarious reasons. It's a catch-22 of the worst kind.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Anyone here have these new electric meters? Found this story and thought a few might like to see it. Things that make you go humm.

UPDATED: Handicapped Woman Refuses Smart Meter — Has Power Cut in the Dead of Winter

excerpt:

Brenda Hawk has a pacemaker for her heart and because her brain was injured in a car accident, she requires a breathing machine in order to sleep at night. She does not want the new radio-frequency emitting meter because of the health problems these devices have been said to cause. But American Electric Power AEP-Ohio, the local power company, has persisted in their push to swap out Hawk’s analog meter and replace it with the new one.

Fast forward to Jan. 24, 2013. A certified letter from AEP executive Ralph Rocca, Jr. arrived at Hawk’s home announcing that she would be getting a new meter or her power would be cut off. Her efforts to contact Rocca were not successful. All that Hawk wanted was a guarantee from the company that the new meter’s electrical signals would not interfere with her pacemaker. The company could not give her that assurance and it was her position that unless and until they did, no “smart meter” would be installed.

On Friday, February 8, two trucks from the power company and a sheriff’s patrol car drove onto Hawk’s property, uninvited. She informed them that they did not have an easement and therefore did not have access to the property and she intended to deny them access. Her question to the Allentown Sheriff was a simple one.

“Are you here to protect my property rights?”

“No,” said the sheriff,“I’m here to protect AEP – You’ll either have the meter or we’ll turn your power off.”

more:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/09/ha...
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

See you guys. In the hospital in the morning.
lisw

Wilmington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Anyone here have these new electric meters? Found this story and thought a few might like to see it. Things that make you go humm.
UPDATED: Handicapped Woman Refuses Smart Meter — Has Power Cut in the Dead of Winter
excerpt:
Brenda Hawk has a pacemaker for her heart and because her brain was injured in a car accident, she requires a breathing machine in order to sleep at night. She does not want the new radio-frequency emitting meter because of the health problems these devices have been said to cause. But American Electric Power AEP-Ohio, the local power company, has persisted in their push to swap out Hawk’s analog meter and replace it with the new one.
Fast forward to Jan. 24, 2013. A certified letter from AEP executive Ralph Rocca, Jr. arrived at Hawk’s home announcing that she would be getting a new meter or her power would be cut off. Her efforts to contact Rocca were not successful. All that Hawk wanted was a guarantee from the company that the new meter’s electrical signals would not interfere with her pacemaker. The company could not give her that assurance and it was her position that unless and until they did, no “smart meter” would be installed.
On Friday, February 8, two trucks from the power company and a sheriff’s patrol car drove onto Hawk’s property, uninvited. She informed them that they did not have an easement and therefore did not have access to the property and she intended to deny them access. Her question to the Allentown Sheriff was a simple one.
“Are you here to protect my property rights?”
“No,” said the sheriff,“I’m here to protect AEP – You’ll either have the meter or we’ll turn your power off.”
more:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/09/ha...
Wow! We have Duke energy here in southern Ohio. The problem is that energy companies are monopolies. If you want energy you have to take it from that provider. Duke is very much in Obama's pocket. Or maybe I should say he is in theirs. They made a huge donation for this campaign to him.
lisw

Wilmington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Will be thinking of you.
Disney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Will be thinking of you.
Thanks. Duke just take over our power co Progress energy. They send me info about a discount if I let them have control of my ac and hot water tank. Thanks but no thanks.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Best of luck to you, Chris.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Best of luck to you, Chris.
Thanks bro.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Goopd A Chris, haven't been monitoring this thread enough to know why you'll be in the hospital, but whatever the reason our prayers and best wishes go out to you.

Blessings.(:
uIDIOTRACEMAKEPW ORLDPEACE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Independents Unbound: "Soldiers Are Just Dumb, Stupid Animals.....

independentsunbound.blogspot.com/.../soldiers... ...

Sep 18, 2007 · "Soldiers Are Just Dumb, Stupid ... On the same day that Gov. Sarah Palin used a quote from Henry Kissinger to ... Does suicide among the troops …

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Trump files lawsuit against Maher..........

LOL........

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/donald-...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Hope things went well.......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! We have Duke energy here in southern Ohio. The problem is that energy companies are monopolies. If you want energy you have to take it from that provider. Duke is very much in Obama's pocket. Or maybe I should say he is in theirs. They made a huge donation for this campaign to him.
I was just at the Duke Energy Center..........

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Rider on the Storm wrote:
Trump files lawsuit against Maher..........
LOL........
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/donald-...
lots of lawsuits here, http://www.dumbcrooks.com/dumb-forum/viewpost...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Apparently the Rookie-In-Chief and his administration can do NO wrong.

1) Neither Obama, Holder or anyone else will be held accountable for "Fast & Furious", where at least one CBP agent was murdered.

2) Neither Obama, Clinton or anyone else will be held accountable for the crisis in Benghazi, Libya(4 dead Americans there).

3) MSM continues to give Obama a pass on the drone strikes, in which at least one "American citizen" in Yemen was killed without due process.

While I fully support the drone strikes to kill terrorists, including the American cleric in Yemen, it's still perplexing how Obama can justify it's use. The collateral deaths of innocent people including children, from drone strikes seems to be OK, but GW Bush using waterboarding that killed no one, is highly barbaric.

As long as the folks get their entitlements, they will continue to look the other way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

418 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min Patrick 224,681
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min hazem selawi 38,487
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 18 min UIdiotRaceMakeWorldPeace 5,281
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min Oxbow 533,690
Why do blacks name their children ridiculous na... (Sep '08) 26 min Mat 201
reason topix is GOING OUT OF STYLE 28 min cretin56 2
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 31 min hotel to hotel 441
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 45 min Aura Mytha 722,299
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr gianni cartooni 115,654
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 257,033
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 8 hr rahx 124
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••