Bush is a hero
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#159113 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not saying that her policies cannot be questioned, her political career, her funny way of talking or any number of things she does that are odd to you but when it comes to the gross things that were leveled at her and her family even I was surprised that even the women leaders of the Left kept silent and I don't expect much from them.
Women "from the left" can be very particular which women they will go to bat for and which ones they'll sit back and watch get batted around.

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#159114 Feb 5, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
But whatever the reason, their reaction isn't the norm. I do hope their difficulties subside and vanish altogether.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/discus...

Reading these women I don't get the impression they are religious, just hurting.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#159115 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea why you felt you had to get back to this, why you felt the need to repeat yourself. Get on and take your sympathies elsewhere.
I repeated myself because you skipped over the information I provided and made an irrelevant comment about your friendships. I believe passing out false information is always a bad idea and I'm sometimes compelled to get out the right information even if some may find it displeasing.
You're entitled to do anything you want with your opinions when they're flying around in your head but once they're out of your mouth they are mine to comment on.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#159116 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
The big difference between the Tea Party movement and the others you've included would be the overall age of the group. The older folks of the Tea Party (over 40 crowd) verses those other groups made up of a lot of college kids who are easily manipulated. The Tea Party picks up their own trash. The kids, not so much. Kids smash windows and over turn cars, defecate in parks and sidewalks, and in general get carried away with themselves.
I agree that we should always be on guard against subversive movements even within what we consider a good cause. Ever Vigilant.
I know you can't characterize America First as a youth movement, and I question that with the civil rights movement although they did much of the grunt work.

Oh, and let's face it - the overwhelming majority of those who make up Occupy are eventually going to go get a bath, haircut and a real job and grow up to be the next Tea Party in a generation or two.

Since we're talking about a relatively small pool of people who might fall under the sway of extremists (again, regardless of the orientation of the movement or the extremists), I don't think the difference in age, manners, and grooming makes much difference. A vulnerable young person showing up at a TP rally may feel the 'old folks' aren't really doing enough to foster the 'new American Revolution', and look for someone promising more direct action.

I can't emphasize enough that we're talking about a relatively small pool of people who might fall under the sway of extremists - but it doesn't take many. Far right militias/white supremacists committed murders (financed by robberies) all over the Northwest, Colorado and the Midwest in the 80s. Far left bombers operated all over the country from the 60s through the 70s.

Colorado

#159117 Feb 5, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I know you can't characterize America First as a youth movement, and I question that with the civil rights movement although they did much of the grunt work.
Oh, and let's face it - the overwhelming majority of those who make up Occupy are eventually going to go get a bath, haircut and a real job and grow up to be the next Tea Party in a generation or two.
Since we're talking about a relatively small pool of people who might fall under the sway of extremists (again, regardless of the orientation of the movement or the extremists), I don't think the difference in age, manners, and grooming makes much difference. A vulnerable young person showing up at a TP rally may feel the 'old folks' aren't really doing enough to foster the 'new American Revolution', and look for someone promising more direct action.
I can't emphasize enough that we're talking about a relatively small pool of people who might fall under the sway of extremists - but it doesn't take many. Far right militias/white supremacists committed murders (financed by robberies) all over the Northwest, Colorado and the Midwest in the 80s. Far left bombers operated all over the country from the 60s through the 70s.
You are right. I can't argue with anything you've said here.

Colorado

#159118 Feb 5, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I repeated myself because you skipped over the information I provided and made an irrelevant comment about your friendships. I believe passing out false information is always a bad idea and I'm sometimes compelled to get out the right information even if some may find it displeasing.
You're entitled to do anything you want with your opinions when they're flying around in your head but once they're out of your mouth they are mine to comment on.
My original post:
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I have many friends who've had abortions and they still grieve for the children that they aborted. Even though they know the situations they found themselves in were very difficult, as adult women they know they could have done it differently. Each of them still remembers the day she went to the clinic and also suffers depression for the month that the abortion occurred in.
Where is the false information?
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159119 Feb 5, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Perception. We see what we need to see. You see a poor persecuted soccer mom. I see a gal who, if she's prudent, will never have to work another day in her life if she chooses, nor will her immediate family. Tooling around the nation in designer buses ain't cheap. Looks to me like she did quite well, working all sides of the "group" with brilliant results. A true American success story.
<quoted text>I propose that that's an abbreviated and flawed view of his rise to power. For the average Kraut in 1920's Germany, it had little to do with fear. Hitler restored a sense of national pride and prosperity, after the humiliation of the Treaty of Versailles. It was only after he consolidated his hold on the reins that the really nasty stuff he'd been imagining got the go-ahead. By then the only way to dislodge him was murder death kill.
It appears you're avoiding a very simple question, which arose directly from your own proposition, but that's ok. In a world of relative truths, it ain't no thang;)
Be well. rk
That's exactly why we must remain alert, and the two term presidency is absolutely necessary. We sure don't want to resort to murder.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159120 Feb 5, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Catholic Centre Party, huh? If only entities had control over the name selections of extremist political parties. The integrity of dogs may never recover from the unfortunate endorsement of Cujo by the National Warm Puppy Coalition.
Can't help it, I'm laughing.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#159121 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
In part this is what I am talking about. Usually when a woman, especially an attractive woman and mother, is attacked it brings out a man's chivalrous nature. The things that were said about her, the sexual threats, the name calling, the sly attacks on her daughters would illicit something protective in a man. But, in this case, the pack overrides the chivalry and decency and even nice men become part of the gang and then it is justified with some jab that she'll be recompensed for it so it's all okay.
No, I am not avoiding the question of the inherent evil of mankind. It is in all of us but hopefully not all of us will give into it. It will not always make an appearance because it takes the right set of circumstances to bring it out. I think the attacks on Sarah Palin by the majority of media outlets caused a fury of like behavior in the general society and then an otherwise decent man like yourself was able to justify what was done to her.
I am not saying that her policies cannot be questioned, her political career, her funny way of talking or any number of things she does that are odd to you but when it comes to the gross things that were leveled at her and her family even I was surprised that even the women leaders of the Left kept silent and I don't expect much from them.
I am sorry to say that I wasn't shocked. Before wife and I were even married we started doing things together in missions. One of the first was work with a pregnancy here in town. I've been witness to pure hate by people that do all they can to stop it. Since I know Palin is also quite active in this area some on the far left will stop at nothing to that end. Its one of the reasons I quit posting in any abortion forum. I long ago found better use for my time and some of what I read made me weep.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#159122 Feb 5, 2013
pregnancy center.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#159123 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. I can't argue with anything you've said here.
I've been thinking about American terrorists lately, since I'm reading a book abou nationaland international reaction to one of America's first (terrorist/freedom fighter), John Brown.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159124 Feb 5, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Your friends made the wrong decision for THEMSELVES or perhaps their guilt is being perpetuated by outside influences but I promise you, they are in a minority.
Since the early 1980s, groups opposed to abortion have attempted to document the existence of "post-abortion syndrome," which they claim has traits similar to post-traumatic stress disorder demonstrated by some war veterans. In 1989, the American Psychological Association convened a panel of psychologists with extensive experience in this field to review the data. They reported that the studies with the most scientifically rigorous research designs consistently found no trace of "post-abortion syndrome" or long term guilt and furthermore, that no such syndrome is scientifically or medically recognized.
The panel concluded that "research with diverse samples, different measures of response, and different times of assessment have come to similar conclusions. The time of greatest distress is likely to be before the abortion. Severe negative reactions after abortions are rare and while some women may experience sensations of regret, sadness or guilt after an abortion, the overwhelming emotion is relief.
You may be correct in the majority but to eliminate the possibility of post-regret is irresponsible. As a clinician treating for severe depression I was surprised how often it turned out that a prior abortion contributed to this. It was usually the last thing uncovered, meaning it wasn't even being looked for. So a syndrome for the DSM, no, but it does exist.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#159125 Feb 5, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Can't help it, I'm laughing.
It's not as unreasonable assumption ad you might think, because at the same time their were far right antidemocratic Catholic parties in parts of Europe. In Hungary and Spain they were significant if not dominant.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159126 Feb 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's go out today and do something to make the country a better place.
Tomorrow, each of can report on what he/she did.
Can't be related to work in any way. What I mean is often acts of good are good but bring in customers, get our name out there, etc. If we come back to report that's self aggrandizement and is not a true act of charity or done for someone else instead of ourselves. Don't ya think?
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#159127 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
The big difference between the Tea Party movement and the others you've included would be the overall age of the group. The older folks of the Tea Party (over 40 crowd) verses those other groups made up of a lot of college kids who are easily manipulated. The Tea Party picks up their own trash. The kids, not so much. Kids smash windows and over turn cars, defecate in parks and sidewalks, and in general get carried away with themselves.
I agree that we should always be on guard against subversive movements even within what we consider a good cause. Ever Vigilant.
I'm not sure what came first but tp or the 9-12 project but when many 9-12'ers went to Washington D.C. a few years back I remember the media saying (hoping?) something crazy would happen. It did! Many people that are not professional protestors came from many faiths, some no faith to stand up a few things. I've posted the 9 principles and 12 values a few times here. Whats funny is each time not one person has said they disagreed. But then listen to media and the usual rant about racist bigot blah blah blah when its clear few in the movement hold any such view.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159128 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
SisterKL, you had no choice but to make the decision that you made. You didn't choose to terminate life, that life was unsustainable by the nature of the placement the baby never stood a chance. Your own life was at risk. I am not Catholic, I don't know what the viewpoint of the Church is regarding those instances but doing anything different than what you did would not be my advice.
The House and Senate debate all kinds of stupid things. It is the nature of the entity. Even if something is passed that seems rather sketchy there are courts that rush to stop its implementation.
I lost a child to miscarriage too. I sympathize with your losses. Every so often I think about how old that child would be that I lost. I wonder who the person is that is missing from our family.
Abortions due to rape and ectopic pregnancy are pretty rare. I am sad that so many women just see abortion as a big magic eraser that they can use to eliminate a bad decision.
I believe that abortion will always be legal in this country. I think the majority of people want it that way. My problem is with the need to use the taxpayer to fund it. There are people who will contribute to it the same way cancer research is contributed to. The government should not be in the business of eliminating it's citizens.
I can assure you that if both child and mother will die, the Catholic church supports the mother's right to live.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159129 Feb 5, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
In part this is what I am talking about. Usually when a woman, especially an attractive woman and mother, is attacked it brings out a man's chivalrous nature. The things that were said about her, the sexual threats, the name calling, the sly attacks on her daughters would illicit something protective in a man. But, in this case, the pack overrides the chivalry and decency and even nice men become part of the gang and then it is justified with some jab that she'll be recompensed for it so it's all okay.
No, I am not avoiding the question of the inherent evil of mankind. It is in all of us but hopefully not all of us will give into it. It will not always make an appearance because it takes the right set of circumstances to bring it out. I think the attacks on Sarah Palin by the majority of media outlets caused a fury of like behavior in the general society and then an otherwise decent man like yourself was able to justify what was done to her.
To me the "gal" is very telling, in and of itself. Add the rest and you've got a member of the pack.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159130 Feb 5, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the things I hear all the time about Palin is that she puts herself and her family out there. Therefore they deserve what they get an she's asking for it and exposing herself to it.
Then the next thing the seeming jealousy of the fact that she makes money off her appearances.
I dont want to put words in Hips mouth and i apologize if I'm wrong but Im fairly certain he has taken that stance before.
It's no different than saying that a woman wore a short skirt so she was asking to be raped.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#159131 Feb 5, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You may be correct in the majority but to eliminate the possibility of post-regret is irresponsible. As a clinician treating for severe depression I was surprised how often it turned out that a prior abortion contributed to this. It was usually the last thing uncovered, meaning it wasn't even being looked for. So a syndrome for the DSM, no, but it does exist.
It does exist but I don't want people to come away from these discussions thinking it's common. It is not common and quite often any serious problems which crop up post abortion for girls/women existed and went undetected before the abortion. As with the recent gun violence episodes....the psychological problems existed long before the gunman walked into a building and mowed down innocent people before he committed suicide.

Well adjusted girls/women who have good coping skills do not generally suffer years after an abortion. It's rare.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#159132 Feb 5, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I can assure you that if both child and mother will die, the Catholic church supports the mother's right to live.
If that is so, why was a hospital in Arizona stripped of its Catholic status for performing an abortion to save the mother's life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min NotSoDivineMsM 72,659
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Big Al 995,150
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 28 min Johnny 447,495
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min Goddamd Atheistsc... 699,595
Ex-girlfriend is asking to talk after months 51 min alonzo36 1
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Tony 6,840
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 7 hr Johnny 148