Bush is a hero

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#159062 Feb 4, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Pern, you disappoint me. That's a very narrow framing of a woman's place in society, and a very twisted view of a man's sexuality. Also, while most women actually DO gestate, keep, and lovingly raise our children, not every woman is cut out to be a mom. I truly believe it is more loving (not to mention sensible) to leave the decision as to whether or not to become a parent, up to the person who will (or won't) be gestating...certainly not to the government, or to any particular religious viewpoint, unless it is her own.
JMO
I exaggerated to emphasize the over simplification of your presentation of how Christians view women and children. Both what you said and what I said are extreme and untrue.
I have many friends who've had abortions and they still grieve for the children that they aborted. Even though they know the situations they found themselves in were very difficult, as adult women they know they could have done it differently. Each of them still remembers the day she went to the clinic and also suffers depression for the month that the abortion occurred in.
uIDIOTRACEmakewo rldpeace

United States

#159063 Feb 4, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
You never discuss issues, Catcher. You have "optimism." You feel a "tailwind." It's a "tough roe to hoe."
I have brought up a rise in poverty, unemployment, 43+ million on food stamps, mainstream media and that monumental disgrace, the deficit, the lies about terrorism winding down, the lies about Romney perpetrated by the democrat party with none other than Harry the Marsupial Reid leading the charge. What about my comments regarding the labor unions and Obamacare? Anything from you? NO. You didn't know the first thing about Rubio's immigration reform plan. I have never heard you utter a word about Benghazi or the heat rising regarding Iran and Israel. Are you knowledgable about No. Korea or the new and whacked out government in Egypt? Care to elaborate on the slaughter in Syria? Comments about the buffoon Chuck Hagel and his nauseatingly clueless performance last week?
You don't KNOW the issues. Get informed and bring them to the table and until then show some respect for people who know more than you do and maybe you'll get some in return.
INTERJECTING this post of Your to Catcher. So you think US is in the right to be involved and warring all over the world?

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#159064 Feb 4, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening, Lawest :)
(c:
rider

Gwinn, MI

#159065 Feb 4, 2013

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#159066 Feb 4, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lawest. Good evening, hope all is well.
Good evening Chris, all is well and that which isn't God is working it out for me. How goes it with you?
lisw

Delaware, OH

#159067 Feb 4, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I really don't care that you don't like my comments about Coulter.
However, I think you are mistaken about me making broad brush statements about conservatives.
A comment about Coulter is not a broad brush comment about conservatives.
In order to make broad brush comments about conservatives, I'd have to talk about conservatives as a group.
I don't do that very often at all, and when I do it's usually in the context of party politics.
I have made some comments about one block in the Republican party that have been misunderstood by some, deliberately misconstrued by others, because they either don't want to believe that block exists or they really, really, really don't want to talk about them.
So ... I think you're mistaken here, lisw. I don't make broad brush comments about conservatives. People who don't know what they're talking about spend all their time about 'the left' or 'the right', about 'libs' and 'cons'.
Just because you pick conservatives off one by one doesn't make you any less guilty. It's just more of the sniper approach.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#159068 Feb 4, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people does it take to make Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Mao, Idi Amin, Ceausescu, Papa Doc Duvalier, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, the LRA, the Khmer Rouge, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, CIA and waterboarding, Gitmo, etc.? That list was just the last century and incomplete because I did not include President Bush or Nixon or Lyndon Johnson, or J. Edgar Hoover and on and on and on. Unfortunately for human kind these are the folks who rise to the top.
I am daily on guard watching for bullying on my bus. These are basically good kids but if they sense weakness it's like they smell blood in the water. Arguments over religion, football teams, soccer better than football, who ate who's snacks, who has who's girlfriend or boyfriend ...Remember LORD OF THE FLIES?
People I work with worry about who makes more money, who's not working as hard as they are, who is sleeping with who, who is getting ahead more than they are. Gossiping, jumping to conclusions as to why someone is missing work.
We are a lovely bunch.
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people does it take to make Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Mao, Idi Amin, Ceausescu, Papa Doc Duvalier, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, the LRA, the Khmer Rouge, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, CIA and waterboarding, Gitmo, etc.? That list was just the last century and incomplete because I did not include President Bush or Nixon or Lyndon Johnson, or J. Edgar Hoover and on and on and on. Unfortunately for human kind these are the folks who rise to the top.

I am daily on guard watching for bullying on my bus. These are basically good kids but if they sense weakness it's like they smell blood in the water. Arguments over religion, football teams, soccer better than football, who ate who's snacks, who has who's girlfriend or boyfriend ...Remember LORD OF THE FLIES?

People I work with worry about who makes more money, who's not working as hard as they are, who is sleeping with who, who is getting ahead more than they are. Gossiping, jumping to conclusions as to why someone is missing work.

We are a lovely bunch.
Today's top story - "6,973,000,000 People In The World Committed No Crime Today"

How well d'ya spose that newspaper would sell?

Gossip? That makes the list of "inherently evil" attributes? yikes.....

It seems we generally find exactly what we presume we'll find.

Likely you missed my question. What percentage of people whom you know do you suspect are "inherently evil"? Of course, if one lists items such as gossip among the indicators of Evil, I have to concede it very well could appear a disturbingly high figure to those folks. This would certainly adversely affect a general world-view.

“The future begins”

every moment

#159069 Feb 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that it was a parody was to follow and yes, it is a satire publication. The Currant.
It's very hard to smear Ann Coulter though, she is a smear herself.
(Here come the dogs, out to catch Catcher.)
But yes, next time I'll point out that it's satire, when it's satire, immediately.
I swear on the....U.S. Constitution.
;)

There's satire enough just reporting the cold facts on that one.

“The future begins”

every moment

#159070 Feb 4, 2013
Now that double is an odd twist, but appropriate enough. MaryCO certainly warrants double-billing on any page in my book.

Colorado

#159071 Feb 4, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>... What percentage of people whom you know do you suspect are "inherently evil"?..
Mankind in general or as a group. While we are one way as individuals we often act quite differently in groups.

We are prone to the herd mentality.

Watching what happens in society to someone like a Sarah Palin, where the group sees her as something to humiliate and destroy when she is no real threat. Not only that but they then proceed to destroy her family as well and laugh at what they have said and done. Watching society go along with it like a pack of wolves.
As a society it is done all the time. People like feeling they are part of an inner circle -the cool kids the in people. They will say and do things in groups that they wouldn't dream of face to face with an individual.
It is the same mentality that overtakes a society say in the instance of Hitler. People were afraid to speak up and later just went along so they would not be perceived as different.

Colorado

#159072 Feb 4, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
Now that double is an odd twist, but appropriate enough. MaryCO certainly warrants double-billing on any page in my book.
Smoke blowing will get you Hm...want a pony?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#159073 Feb 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on, don't gang up on poor little old Catcher.
It wasn't a smear, it was a satirical piece.
Except you posted it as a true story with no disclaimer.

Common tact to pull on people with whom you cant abide.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#159074 Feb 4, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Except you posted it as a true story with no disclaimer.
Common tact to pull on people with whom you cant abide.
I just posted that from now I'll make clear immediately if something is parody.

I understand.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#159075 Feb 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very hard to smear Ann Coulter though, she is a smear herself.
Hmmmm can't see the purpose of your exercise though. You have Coulter on one side, and Jeanine Garafalo, Rosie O'Blockhead, and Rachel Maddow on the other, to name just a few.

Smear merchants all.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#159076 Feb 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just posted that from now I'll make clear immediately if something is parody. I understand.
I know. Many times I start where I left off and reply as I go along rather than read first, then go back.

Peaks & valleys, man.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#159077 Feb 4, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. Many times I start where I left off and reply as I go along rather than read first, then go back.
Peaks & valleys, man.

Thanks.
Roberta G

Tucker, GA

#159078 Feb 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1963, oh yeah.
Did you know that, when Obama's parents were married in 1961, their marriage would have been illegal in Virginia?
As a matter of fact, yes, I did. You see, Catcher, I AM a Virginian and have always been very proud of it :) AND I know the Lovings' story too.

But this ISN'T 1961 or 1963. The question was for YOU, in 2013. So are you actually trying to make me believe that if you heard any such story as a coffeehouse refusing service to Barack Obama or another prominent black American, you would consider the story to be funny and/or a piece of satire?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#159079 Feb 4, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Just because you pick conservatives off one by one doesn't make you any less guilty. It's just more of the sniper approach.
I don't think so, lisw.

The fact that I might think the parody plausible about ONE conservative or even SOME conservatives doesn't mean I'd make the assumption about all conservatives or even most conservatives.

I saw the story and did what I usually do when I read something I couldn't dismiss out of hand, but didn't sound right. It was just plausible enough (because Coulter is, how she makes her living) to make a little fact-checking necessary. I found what Chris linked to.

You may not agree that it's plausible, lisw, but I don't think you can expand the fact that did think so into what you're trying to do with this broad brush stuff based on my posting record.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#159080 Feb 4, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>As a matter of fact, yes, I did. You see, Catcher, I AM a Virginian and have always been very proud of it :) AND I know the Lovings' story too.
But this ISN'T 1961 or 1963. The question was for YOU, in 2013. So are you actually trying to make me believe that if you heard any such story as a coffeehouse refusing service to Barack Obama or another prominent black American, you would consider the story to be funny and/or a piece of satire?
You're right, I wouldn't consider it to be very funny.

Did you live in northern Virginia, or in the other Virginia? I lived in Montgomery County, Maryland, D.C. suburbs.

“The future begins”

every moment

#159081 Feb 4, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Mankind in general or as a group. While we are one way as individuals we often act quite differently in groups.
We are prone to the herd mentality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sno1TpCLj6AXX
Watching what happens in society to someone like a Sarah Palin, where the group sees her as something to humiliate and destroy when she is no real threat. Not only that but they then proceed to destroy her family as well and laugh at what they have said and done. Watching society go along with it like a pack of wolves.
Perception. We see what we need to see. You see a poor persecuted soccer mom. I see a gal who, if she's prudent, will never have to work another day in her life if she chooses, nor will her immediate family. Tooling around the nation in designer buses ain't cheap. Looks to me like she did quite well, working all sides of the "group" with brilliant results. A true American success story.
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>As a society it is done all the time. People like feeling they are part of an inner circle -the cool kids the in people. They will say and do things in groups that they wouldn't dream of face to face with an individual.

It is the same mentality that overtakes a society say in the instance of Hitler. People were afraid to speak up and later just went along so they would not be perceived as different.
I propose that that's an abbreviated and flawed view of his rise to power. For the average Kraut in 1920's Germany, it had little to do with fear. Hitler restored a sense of national pride and prosperity, after the humiliation of the Treaty of Versailles. It was only after he consolidated his hold on the reins that the really nasty stuff he'd been imagining got the go-ahead. By then the only way to dislodge him was murder death kill.

It appears you're avoiding a very simple question, which arose directly from your own proposition, but that's ok. In a world of relative truths, it ain't no thang;)

Be well. rk

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Bongo 119,058
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min _KENTUCKY 678,980
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 32 min manapua 2,525
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr curtjester1 46,211
Why does everyone claim that they are native am... (May '09) 2 hr Anonymous 28
Illegal to hoard or store extra food under USA ... (Jun '08) 4 hr Wanderer 27
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr _KENTUCKY 982,137
More from around the web