lisw

Sardinia, OH

#158881 Feb 3, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well in that case, how nice it would've been for you to be hangin' around in here when GW Bush was being ripped apart pretty much daily, by liberal "attack dogs" and posters abroad, irate with his foreign policy.
Or maybe you could've helped dispell concusions that Bush was a mental midget because of his many public misspeaks.
We could've used your sensible detente over the years to help calm the fears of those lashing out and encouraging radical behavior such as the maniac throwing his shoes at Bush's head.
And lets not forget your potential roll in reversing the call by many in the US and around the world to have BushCo tried and executed for war crimes. Ay alas & alack it was not to be.
yep, role reversal is a very therapeutic tool.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158882 Feb 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could see what Lyndl was doing; I'm familiar with her "tactics." But although I did initially hesitate to subject myself to her interrogation, in the end I decided to indulge her. Her questions, I was willing to answer. Her follow-up attacks are unworthy of a response.
I understand that Lyndi is unhappy and upset. The political and societal winds are blowing the wrong way for her. But she needs to find a better way to deal with that, than to go after people personally because they disagree with her views.
I love the behind the back right in her face gossipy thing you do, Catcher. It's you getting in touch with your girly side, isn't it?
Good job!
==

For someone who loves the friendly people and the beautiful beaches and nice weather of CA you sure seem to spend alot of time indoors evaluating people on Topix. What are you up to now...15-20-25 hours a week on these threads? Yikes!

But don't you worry about me finding other things to do. I am heading out again on Thursday and politics will not be on my mind..... until I get back.

Save me a seat at the bar.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158883 Feb 3, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well in that case, how nice it would've been for you to be hangin' around in here when GW Bush was being ripped apart pretty much daily, by liberal "attack dogs" and posters abroad, irate with his foreign policy.
Or maybe you could've helped dispell concusions that Bush was a mental midget because of his many public misspeaks.
We could've used your sensible detente over the years to help calm the fears of those lashing out and encouraging radical behavior such as the maniac throwing his shoes at Bush's head.
And lets not forget your potential roll in reversing the call by many in the US and around the world to have BushCo tried and executed for war crimes. Ay alas & alack it was not to be.
Bravo!

Wild foot stomping applause !
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158884 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Nice use of a talking point - it's just clever enough to make the willing believe it's in any way a response to anything I said.
"You didn't build that" is precisely the same thing you just said Willie......only YOU called the belief that we did build this nation, "a myth and an illusion." And if that were a fact, there would be no need for history books, bubba-loo!
Try again.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158885 Feb 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
When someone presents their view with clarity, does not bash another's religion but simply sets forth the view that he sees America as based on certain values that he sees as being undermined by certain disregard, should not bring about the vehemence that was aimed at Prager. His views were not anti social nor abhorrent. They are a legitimate opinion. Does Willie have a right to his opinion, yes absolutely, is it rational. I don't think so. He refuses to meet the argument on its grounds and rushes in to name calling. It's knee jerk at its basest level.
The same for the so called lawyer. I would think that someone who makes his living in a courtroom using words and facts as his tools of the trade would have done a better job than just name calling.
Give a reasoned argument or look like one who is afraid of those who think differently. What do you call those people? The word escapes me.
I was more than willing to meet the argument on its grounds, Pern. I tried in post #158618.

You zipped right past my attempt to meet the arguments on its grounds in your haste to portray me as intolerant.

I identified at least three sections of Prager's essay I found wanting. I guess the problem was that I used terms you didn't like but that I felt appropriate (nonsense, absurd, ludicrous).

I used those terms because I felt the exaggerations and distortions in Prager's essay meet the criteria. There's no way a Muslim swearing into Congress on the Koran is a greater threat to American civilization than 9/11, just to use one example.

I also think that the lack of intemperate language doesn't disguise the fact that the essay was nothing more than an attack on Ellison's religion. That's the only reason for those exaggerations and distortions.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158886 Feb 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"You didn't build that" is precisely the same thing you just said Willie......only YOU called the belief that we did build this nation, "a myth and an illusion." And if that were a fact, there would be no need for history books, bubba-loo!
Try again.
Lyndi, you're down in desperation territory now (whining about how often somebody else posts), so I'm guessing you're off your game a little.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#158887 Feb 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no issue with your crediantials to get on the bitch wagon about America and half it's population. You've earned it. Your pedigree gives you that privilege. I take issue with relative newbies who haven't lifted a finger to form this nation, have no servicemen or women in their history who helped create, protect and defend this nation yet somehow think it's a good idea to become a citzen and slam half the country because they've lived here a short while.
My issue is with Catcher and those like him who think America is beaches, friendly people and nice weather and how thrilled he is that he has a platform to vocalize how he can't stand the party who crafted the emancipation proclamation. Like alot of other libs he has it a$$ backwards. Democrats keep the poor, poor and the downtrodden, downtrodden and Obama is enlarging that group in leaps and bounds. Congratulations Mr. President!
Maybe you like the new guy on the block coming into your home slamming half your family, telling you the best way to rear your family and calling you an oppressor. I don't. I think it's audacious and shows bad manners.
Btw, Willy you have a need to try and take control of comments posed here particularly those aimed at liberals. You may want to look into that. Catcher is a big boy. He's an attorney. He probably doesn't need you to intercept my comments and rush in with that little rubber bayonet of yours.
So I noted to libs both not in agreement with this and the short version is there is no substance in your post. Ha! Its filled with it just doesn't tell them what they want to hear. In the imcome bracket wife and I are in we should be big Obama supporters. We aren't much above the poverty threshold. Too bad for him we really do have some skin in the game and long tuned out the crap that about half the nation seems to rally around. Good day! And it is. Talk about some nice weather here! Won't fix my hernia but am thankful to enjoy this day. Take care everyone.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#158888 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I was more than willing to meet the argument on its grounds, Pern. I tried in post #158618.
You zipped right past my attempt to meet the arguments on its grounds in your haste to portray me as intolerant.
I identified at least three sections of Prager's essay I found wanting. I guess the problem was that I used terms you didn't like but that I felt appropriate (nonsense, absurd, ludicrous).
I used those terms because I felt the exaggerations and distortions in Prager's essay meet the criteria. There's no way a Muslim swearing into Congress on the Koran is a greater threat to American civilization than 9/11, just to use one example.
I also think that the lack of intemperate language doesn't disguise the fact that the essay was nothing more than an attack on Ellison's religion. That's the only reason for those exaggerations and distortions.
Nothing but crap and absurd nonsense here. While I've posted I don't know Prager well and do know him enough to know thats not in the man. But when you have an agenda and can't stand what the man says go for the gusto. Hes a bigot can't stand Muslims yada yada yada. You have nothing Willie.

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#158889 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I was more than willing to meet the argument on its grounds, Pern. I tried in post #158618.
I didn't zip past. Your word choices were poor. You presented no argument as to why you disagreed and still haven't. Present your rebuttal. Otherwise your just blustering. Why is it not a bad thing when someone insists their culture trumps the one established as unifying.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158890 Feb 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing but crap and absurd nonsense here. While I've posted I don't know Prager well and do know him enough to know thats not in the man. But when you have an agenda and can't stand what the man says go for the gusto. Hes a bigot can't stand Muslims yada yada yada. You have nothing Willie.
Tell me, Chris, do you think it's reasonable to say that a Muslim swearing into Congress on the Koran 'will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11', that by doing so American civilization is 'undermined', or that it will 'embolden Muslim extremists'?

You can attribute this to my so-called agenda if you want to, Chris, but I do have something and I'm willing to debate it.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158891 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Lyndi, you're down in desperation territory now (whining about how often somebody else posts), so I'm guessing you're off your game a little.
My game is rarely off and you need a dictonary.
"Desperation" and "whining" are mildly insulting words you falsely chose to use because I made an observation you would have preferred I hadn't made outloud.

If you want to duct tape me you'll have to do better than that, Willie!

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#158892 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, Chris, do you think it's reasonable to say that a Muslim swearing into Congress on the Koran 'will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11', that by doing so American civilization is 'undermined', or that it will 'embolden Muslim extremists'?
You can attribute this to my so-called agenda if you want to, Chris, but I do have something and I'm willing to debate it.
The key word is unity. Was America's unity damaged one whit by 9-11? I say a resounding "NO". Our unity was strengthened for a moment in time. But, was Ellis' Koran a part of undermining the fundamental unity in regards to what holds our nation as one people, YES! See the rest of my argument in my reply to HipG.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#158893 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, Chris, do you think it's reasonable to say that a Muslim swearing into Congress on the Koran 'will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11', that by doing so American civilization is 'undermined', or that it will 'embolden Muslim extremists'?
Short answer yes. And I have worked with Muslims that are peaceful and love this nation. No doubt in other parts of the world they would be murded in a New York min. by other Muslims. I have the same answer for anyone that thinks its a good idea to be under Sharia law.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158894 Feb 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lyndi,
Your attack-dog attempts to disparage my character with repeated ad hominem posts have become very tiresome. Also tiresome is your faux patriotism, as you wrap yourself around the flag in an attempt to diminish the value of my views. Nor does pedigree mean anything to me, we are each responsible for how we live our lives. I'm happy do discuss issues with you, or anybody else, but I feel no need to defend myself from your sarcastic, personal jabs. Sometimes they are cute, but for the most part they are misanthropic and nasty, and not worthy of a response. So rant away if it makes you feel good, but I'm not going to dignify anything that is personally disrespectful.
You never discuss issues, Catcher. You have "optimism." You feel a "tailwind." It's a "tough roe to hoe."

I have brought up a rise in poverty, unemployment, 43+ million on food stamps, mainstream media and that monumental disgrace, the deficit, the lies about terrorism winding down, the lies about Romney perpetrated by the democrat party with none other than Harry the Marsupial Reid leading the charge. What about my comments regarding the labor unions and Obamacare? Anything from you? NO. You didn't know the first thing about Rubio's immigration reform plan. I have never heard you utter a word about Benghazi or the heat rising regarding Iran and Israel. Are you knowledgable about No. Korea or the new and whacked out government in Egypt? Care to elaborate on the slaughter in Syria? Comments about the buffoon Chuck Hagel and his nauseatingly clueless performance last week?

You don't KNOW the issues. Get informed and bring them to the table and until then show some respect for people who know more than you do and maybe you'll get some in return.
Chris Clearwater

Clearwater, FL

#158895 Feb 3, 2013
Wish I had more time but have something pressing. Good day everyone.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158896 Feb 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't zip past. Your word choices were poor. You presented no argument as to why you disagreed and still haven't. Present your rebuttal. Otherwise your just blustering. Why is it not a bad thing when someone insists their culture trumps the one established as unifying.
You really need me to explain why I think it's ludicrous to assert that Ellison's swearing in on the Koran will 'embolden Muslim extremists'?

That Ellison's swearing in on the Koran 'will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11' is absurd?

That it's nonsense to suggest that by taking the oath of office on something other than the Bible, American civilization is 'undermined'?

I didn't see Ellison insisting his culture trumped anything - all I saw was someone taking an oath on the book they hold as holy. That's all.

Far from being an affront to, it's an AFFIRMATION of American civilization and religious freedom, pure and simple.

You may not like my choice of words, but I don't think you can legitimately characterize them as 'poor'. The exaggerations and distortions in Prager's essay warrant terms like nonsense, absurd, and ludicrous, at least in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd use different terms if I were writing formally for publication someplace.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158897 Feb 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Short answer yes. And I have worked with Muslims that are peaceful and love this nation. No doubt in other parts of the world they would be murded in a New York min. by other Muslims. I have the same answer for anyone that thinks its a good idea to be under Sharia law.
Sharia law?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#158898 Feb 3, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
You never discuss issues, Catcher. You have "optimism." You feel a "tailwind." It's a "tough roe to hoe."
I have brought up a rise in poverty, unemployment, 43+ million on food stamps, mainstream media and that monumental disgrace, the deficit, the lies about terrorism winding down, the lies about Romney perpetrated by the democrat party with none other than Harry the Marsupial Reid leading the charge. What about my comments regarding the labor unions and Obamacare? Anything from you? NO. You didn't know the first thing about Rubio's immigration reform plan. I have never heard you utter a word about Benghazi or the heat rising regarding Iran and Israel. Are you knowledgable about No. Korea or the new and whacked out government in Egypt? Care to elaborate on the slaughter in Syria? Comments about the buffoon Chuck Hagel and his nauseatingly clueless performance last week?
You don't KNOW the issues. Get informed and bring them to the table and until then show some respect for people who know more than you do and maybe you'll get some in return.
Lyndi, this sort of post consists of nothing but namecalling and repeated insults.(Monumental disgrace; lies; lies; Marsupial; whacked out; buffoon; nauseatingly clueless.) And your discussion of these issues in previous posts have been similar, lots of bombast, put-downs, insults and bravado.

That's not how mature people discuss issues.

Sorry, but in my view your post is not deserving of respect.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158899 Feb 3, 2013
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
The key word is unity. Was America's unity damaged one whit by 9-11? I say a resounding "NO". Our unity was strengthened for a moment in time. But, was Ellis' Koran a part of undermining the fundamental unity in regards to what holds our nation as one people, YES! See the rest of my argument in my reply to HipG.
You see an undermining, I see an affirmation, all in the same act.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158900 Feb 3, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>You really need me to explain why I think it's ludicrous to assert that Ellison's swearing in on the Koran will 'embolden Muslim extremists'?
That Ellison's swearing in on the Koran 'will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11' is absurd?
That it's nonsense to suggest that by taking the oath of office on something other than the Bible, American civilization is 'undermined'?
I didn't see Ellison insisting his culture trumped anything - all I saw was someone taking an oath on the book they hold as holy. That's all.
Far from being an affront to, it's an AFFIRMATION of American civilization and religious freedom, pure and simple.
You may not like my choice of words, but I don't think you can legitimately characterize them as 'poor'. The exaggerations and distortions in Prager's essay warrant terms like nonsense, absurd, and ludicrous, at least in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd use different terms if I were writing formally for publication someplace.
Did Ellison ask to be sworn in on the bible right after the Koran, or did he think his hand would catch fire? Do you think there's anything wrong with being sworn in on the bible first, then the Koran?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min Epiphany2 601,188
I think I was raped while passed out!! 19 min Truth 13
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min ChristineM 740,318
Christians Are Afraid To Speak Out Against Sin 23 min Witness 1
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 28 min tarek 895
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 37 min Edthirty 3,148
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min ChristineM 227,897
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr hojo 543,118
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr AussieBobby 259,728

Top Stories People Search