|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
The view of the majority of Americans is that Congress is tanking and Obama is supposed to be leading that body, is he not?
==

You keep talking about the majority of Americans........
A majority of Americans would liked to have seen a budget presented in the last 3+ years. A majority of Amercans would liked to have seen the deficit genuinely addressed. A majority of Americans didn't want Obamacare. A majority of Americans now know Obama was talking out of someplace other than his mouth when he said al-Qeada was on the run. A majority of Americans would like spending curbed. A majority of Americans are wondering where all the jobs are he promised. A majority of Americans would agree this nation is deeply divided. A majority of Americans feel the women of Afghanistan truly have a war waged on them while the women of the US are yammering about free birth control and pretending it's a war.

Maybe in your world people are sleeping better because the president is being a stand-up guy for the wellbeing of the gay community and inmates in California can now have the state pay for their sex change operations. I might remind you that 2 million Californians have left your state in the last 10 years in search of a job and a life which you can no longer provide them and you're whistling a happy tune because your taxes have shot up.

I don't believe the majority of Americans Catcher are wringing their hands over womens rights, gay rights or whether the 37 members of the Martinez family living in the US illegally can have a swift path to entitlements and citizenship. I think a vast number of Americans are worried about their ability to get by.
Amen, Lyndi :)

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
But, Catcher, its already against the law. Just because the IRS doesnt get into the bill, they have the right to, and if they would, it could not be written off. really I think your beef is with the IRS and the dishonesty of people in general. i doubt its just the rich doing it. When it comes to taxes and how that money is pissed away by the government, i think many take a few small risks to save a dime here or there.

Rich people do it on a higher scale though, obviously.
For sure, it's not how rich you are which determines how honest you are. There are people in this world who haven't got a penny, yet would return a lost wallet filled with thousands, and there are also people who are very rich who would return the same wallet.

There are also poor people who would slit your throat for five bucks or your Nikes, and billionaires who wouldn't hesitate to steal a bricklayer's life savings. If you're honest, you're honest over a quarter or a million, and the same can be said if you're dishonest. Whether you're stealing a buck or robbing from union pensions, you're still a thief and a scoundrel.
911facts

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I missed this. No, just temp out. While I don't wish it on anyone its nice to he home. Romans 8:28 Gods love.
I'm sorry you're in pain, but I am VERY glad you don't have to worry about your job at the same time :)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have changed your mind and DO NOT support the bipartisan proposal?
BTW, it's "si se puede", not puedo.
No I have NOT changed my mind. I clearly said those are things I would do if >I< had the authority. Try to keep up.

No need to corect typoos. Unti these fora akwire edit featyre, there will be plenty.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is a business dinner not deductible?
Its the wine thats not deductible..........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure, it's not how rich you are which determines how honest you are. There are people in this world who haven't got a penny, yet would return a lost wallet filled with thousands, and there are also people who are very rich who would return the same wallet.
There are also poor people who would slit your throat for five bucks or your Nikes, and billionaires who wouldn't hesitate to steal a bricklayer's life savings. If you're honest, you're honest over a quarter or a million, and the same can be said if you're dishonest. Whether you're stealing a buck or robbing from union pensions, you're still a thief and a scoundrel.
I totally agree......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>In the absence of real examples, very often opposition takes to predicting what dire events will happen, or what XYZ was thinking, or what is really in XYZ's heart. It serves to besmirch a person or initiative in the absence of real dirt. The beauty of it is, it's stated, or posted, it's as good as if it really happened, but no one ever is called upon to come back to it to see how it turned out. It would be an interesting exercise (for those with more time than myself) to go back on these boards and list all the dire predictions made over the last 5-6 years, and see how they came out.

Would you be willing to track what happens with this legislation and report back on the "wrench", or lack thereof?
If you mean will I be watching the news of the progress of this bill, and be willing to put in my two cents' worth about it here--well, Hip, you've known me for years now. What do YOU think?

;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
No I have NOT changed my mind. I clearly said those are things I would do if >I< had the authority. Try to keep up.
No need to corect typoos. Unti these fora akwire edit featyre, there will be plenty.
It's "tiepose," not "typoos."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
I totally agree......
Thanks, Larry :)

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
Its the wine thats not deductible..........
Under what section of the Internal Revenue Code?

There's a "no deductibility for wine" provision?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>All who have ever broken any law, regulation, or rule, and gotten away with it, please report to the appropriate authority and take your medicine.

Those who have done so to improve your lot in life and prospects for your family may be eligible to special dispensation.
Your attempt at jesting over a serious matter is duly noted, Rico.
But if we are a nation of laws to be enforced, where's the manual to overlook certain ones because "it's the right thing to do?"
Shall we individually (or as a group) decide which ones we will obey?

And is there no difference between US citizens violating our laws, and foreign nationals violating US laws? If you don't see border jumping as a violation of US law, there's not much else to discuss.

I addressed the part about coming here to "improve one's lot in life" in msg #158346.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
It's "tiepose," not "typoos."
Tanx!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Under what section of the Internal Revenue Code?
There's a "no deductibility for wine" provision?
I dont know Catcher, but it would surprise the hell outta me if the IRS let anyone deduct alchohol. Hell I cant deduct 100% of my work truck usage and there gonna let someone deduct there booze charges? That'll whiz me off..........

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
I dont know Catcher, but it would surprise the hell outta me if the IRS let anyone deduct alchohol. Hell I cant deduct 100% of my work truck usage and there gonna let someone deduct there booze charges? That'll whiz me off..........
You sure can deduct the wine. Drinks, too.

That's why, in the U.S., it's nice to be wealthy.

Let's work to change things, that's all I'm saying.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
And I thought it was "reds, vitamin c, and cocaine." Just checkin' my topix app from my cell.
*chuckle*

Seems like we're all livin' on Shakedown Street lately....

How's work going?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure can deduct the wine. Drinks, too.
That's why, in the U.S., it's nice to be wealthy.
Let's work to change things, that's all I'm saying.
I'm all for changing things, but what would be nice is for people to realize the democrats arent the answer either. You said your self 'percieved' notion that 'r's are out to protect the rich. Hell its both. I dont know if you've noticed but lobbyists give to both sides and it aint just to keep things even.

Did you hear about the sweet deal for some Pharmaceutical company that McConnel and a Democrat Senator whipped up to the tune of 500 million?

They are all playing the 'screw America' I need to get reelected game..........

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

<quoted text>
As I understand it, the IRS doesn't allow anyone to deduct 100% of anything. Business dinners do fall under 'expenses', however, and one can deduct up to 50% of those, apparently.

As a self-employed person, I pay higher taxes (percentage wise) than I do as an employee. When I file my taxes, however, I don't itemize, and I don't take deductions for expenses of my business; mainly, because that money is a supplement to my employment income, and I don't make enough for expense deductions to offset my tax liability. In other words, if I don't utilize deductions, I qualify for a refund of some of my tax payments, because my taxable income is higher that way.

The tax code is weird.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hip, who's to say which is "the greatest good"? Upholding "women's right to birth control" or upholding employers' rights to live by what they claim to believe?
Employers as people are free to live by whatever gets them thru life. Are they allowed to integrate themselves to be a major player in the secular world, and then insidiously impose those beliefs onto the population at large? I say no.

The Church walks a fine line between the spiritual and secular. They condemn gov't intrusion but over half their income comes from the taxpayer via Medicare/Medicaid. They have entered into partnerships with secular caregivers to enjoy the bennies that come from for-profit status. They have been shown to play whatever side of that line serves them in the situation, denying coverage here, appealing to secular law there, as it suits them. If they want to play that game, at some point society has to say, "Get thee to a nunnery."

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hip, who's to say which is "the greatest good"?
Assisting a person or couple who don't want a baby to not do so serves all society, and the cost is minimal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

792 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
passing by 4 min andet1987 2
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Dave Nelson 224,449
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 7 min andet1987 5,256
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 7 min EXPERT 115,435
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Liam 533,158
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 11 min andet1987 3,985
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 13 min bsr 526
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min ROCCO 721,805
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 44 min FudgeNFury 256,792