Bush is a hero

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158279 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Is there anyone besides you who offers an opinion on an issue related to mental health who knows what they're talking about, lisw?
What's the bfd? If someone worked the professional field for a considerable amount of time, it only follows they would have a better understanding of the procedures than a para-legal or a farmer.

In this case, a retired mental health pro can usually tell by what a lay person is saying, whether they know what they're talking about or not. It's really not that big of a freakin' mystery.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158280 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
OK fine counsellor.
Simply stated, I support Sen Rubio's plan for Immigration Reform. I doubt if either the House OR Obama can conjure up a better blueprint.
IINM, Sen Rubio discussed his plan (at least a mock-up) about 8 days ago on Fox News, and it sounded like the best way forward.
Good for you. The Senate bipartisan proposal goes a bit further, with a path to citizenship over time. Rubio's plan excluded citizenship, just residency.

I prefer the Senate plan, but either way it's a step in the right direction--if it can get by the House.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158281 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>The fifty states are pretty similar and if they even have 1/2 of what Iowa and Ohio have then we are doing alot right. But I agree people do fall through the cracks just like they fall through the cracks of the justice system. I watched a show about serial killers. Many had juvenile records, that of course were sealed and I mean records of murder.
The incidents you are talking about, release from the hospital with no follow-up are perhaps just things you've heard about. Like any illness a follow-up plan is always put into place (hospitals all have social workers)but like any illness it is up to the patient to follow through. You get alot of heart patients that don't take their meds and follow up with the doctor. So far it is not a crime to be mentally ill. Now when someone reveals that they are dangerous and they do many times it is imperative that there is proper follow up, forced follow up if you will. That may be where the real cracks are and I am so willing to talk about that. Duty to warn has been in place for a very long time. If the clinician doesn't know he can't warn, if he does he'd better make sure the person is committed. The Aurora and the Sandy Hook cases appear to me to be someone not following through properly. So who do we penalize?
Penalize?

I'm not looking to penalize anyone, lisw (and certainly not looking to criminalize mental illness).

At the very least I'm looking for ways to PREVENT future instances (knowing that we can't prevent all of them, and the hardest ones to prevent may be the most sensational). I'm also looking for a way to help the afflicted individuals and their families BEFORE they commit these kinds of acts - be it the murder of an individual or family, or a Tucson/Aurora/Sandy Hook.

I think we have come to rely too much on medication; I think we've made commitment too difficult; I think we've made it harder to get guardianship assigned as a way to keep the necessary people informed and still comply with HIPAA; and frankly, we 'street' some people far too quickly.
UidiotRaceMAKEWO LRDPEACE

United States

#158282 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Penalize?
I'm not looking to penalize anyone, lisw (and certainly not looking to criminalize mental illness).
At the very least I'm looking for ways to PREVENT future instances (knowing that we can't prevent all of them, and the hardest ones to prevent may be the most sensational). I'm also looking for a way to help the afflicted individuals and their families BEFORE they commit these kinds of acts - be it the murder of an individual or family, or a Tucson/Aurora/Sandy Hook.
I think we have come to rely too much on medication; I think we've made commitment too difficult; I think we've made it harder to get guardianship assigned as a way to keep the necessary people informed and still comply with HIPAA; and frankly, we 'street' some people far too quickly.
Violent Video games?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#158283 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. The Senate bipartisan proposal goes a bit further, with a path to citizenship over time. Rubio's plan excluded citizenship, just residency.
I prefer the Senate plan, but either way it's a step in the right direction--if it can get by the House.
Save it. If it was up to me, these border jumpers would be required to self deport back to their home countries, and reenter the US legally as the other immigrants who actually respect our laws did. They would not be eligible for ANY entitlements, other than emergency critical medical treatment.

Pretty sure that Rubio agreed a week ago that as long as these people went to the back of the citizenship line, he'd be ok with that. But the details for whichever plan is implemented, will still need to be hammered out and tweaked.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158284 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the bfd? If someone worked the professional field for a considerable amount of time, it only follows they would have a better understanding of the procedures than a para-legal or a farmer.
In this case, a retired mental health pro can usually tell by what a lay person is saying, whether they know what they're talking about or not. It's really not that big of a freakin' mystery.
Still pissed about the catcher stuff, are we, bobby?

Anyway ...

In this instance many consumers of mental health services have a vastly different view of the availability of care and the system of care than the rather rosy picture of the 'intricate systems' painted by lisw.

I doubt there's a person posting in this thread who hasn't seen, in the aftermath of a tragic case where a mentally ill person kills someone, the obligatory interview with the perpetrators family where they recount their frustrations in getting help for them. The larger an area you live in (or follow the news from), the more often you've seen it.

I understand that lisw is a fierce advocate of her patients - that she wants to protect them from the kind of backlash that certain people anxious to turn the conversation away from their special interest seem to be encouraging. Those are not, and never have been, the intent of any comments I've made.

So ... there's your answer, bobby. Snarl away.

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158285 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Save it. If it was up to me, these border jumpers would be required to self deport back to their home countries, and reenter the US legally as the other immigrants who actually respect our laws did. They would not be eligible for ANY entitlements, other than emergency critical medical treatment.
Pretty sure that Rubio agreed a week ago that as long as these people went to the back of the citizenship line, he'd be ok with that. But the details for whichever plan is implemented, will still need to be hammered out and tweaked.
It hurts, huh?

But hey, it's a price you have to pay to keep the Republican party from fading away.

Hey Bob, these are real people, no different from you and me. We should follow the golden rule.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#158287 Jan 29, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Penalize?

Excellent.

And the reasons this last paragraph are sad but true are not a lack of compassion in the field. It has far more to do with lack of resources on the part of the ill, coupled with chronically reduced funding from the gov't, ie, taxes.

A healthy society takes care of their own. Our society does not appear to be healthy, by most measures. Sure, our life expectancy is right up there, but a visit to a nursing home will disabuse one of any rosy notions of the general quality of that extended life.

Musing - Ayn Rand's utopia would be peopled only with the quick and the strong.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#158288 Jan 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It hurts, huh?
But hey, it's a price you have to pay to keep the Republican party from fading away.
Hey Bob, these are real people, no different from you and me. We should follow the golden rule.
NO DIFFERENT?? They violated our law, Chaser! Every one of them.

It's bleeding heart Libs like you that have nearly bankrupt CA and sent the US into ginormous debt.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#158289 Jan 29, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Still pissed about the catcher stuff, are we, bobby?
Anyway ...
In this instance many consumers of mental health services have a vastly different view of the availability of care and the system of care than the rather rosy picture of the 'intricate systems' painted by lisw.
I doubt there's a person posting in this thread who hasn't seen, in the aftermath of a tragic case where a mentally ill person kills someone, the obligatory interview with the perpetrators family where they recount their frustrations in getting help for them. The larger an area you live in (or follow the news from), the more often you've seen it.
I understand that lisw is a fierce advocate of her patients - that she wants to protect them from the kind of backlash that certain people anxious to turn the conversation away from their special interest seem to be encouraging. Those are not, and never have been, the intent of any comments I've made.
So ... there's your answer, bobby. Snarl away.
The line between my grumpy "snarling" and your icy sarcasm is pretty thin, Wilson.

Disney

United States

#158290 Jan 29, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
It's bleeding heart Libs like you that have nearly bankrupt CA and sent the US into ginormous debt.
True words. And he spits on people like my pastor that has such a love for this nation he gave up everything to do it the right way. But we know libs like him don't give a damn about what's right.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#158291 Jan 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It hurts, huh?
Do you think the Dems are following the golden rule or just buying votes? Not that it really matters..........

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#158292 Jan 29, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
All who have ever broken any law, regulation, or rule, and gotten away with it, please report to the appropriate authority and take your medicine.

Those who have done so to improve your lot in life and prospects for your family may be eligible to special dispensation.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158293 Jan 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself. Any time I enter a foreign country I have the manners to knock first and enter lawfully. That makes us very different.

BUT?
That point is moot. They're here and we are on the cusp of legitimizing them. So I'll just wait to see what the money crunchers project on the cost of whatever little "congratulations, you're now an American" program we opt for. I realize cost has little place in the bleeding hearts of liberals but for those of us who keep tabs on spending, I thought I'd mention it.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158294 Jan 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubio's plan doesn't exclude citizenship. The details are still being worked but as of now he feels citizenship should absolutely be available but they need to get at the back of the line to obtain it.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158295 Jan 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Senate bipartisan proposal goes a bit further......
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM,: "Well, there will be no immigration reform unless it's bipartisan. But if you want to talk about the president bringing us together and being a bold leader, in 2007, when we tried to do immigration reform, he folded like a cheap suit when the labor -- AFL-CIO got mad at the bill to allow temporary workers. Obama, the then Senator Obama, put a sunset on the temporary worker provision, which destroyed the bill for business.

So I don't need a lecture from Barack Obama about bipartisanship. He was never very good at it in the Senate. And if you're going to get a bill, you need the president involved.

So Mr. President, when you speak tomorrow to the nation about immigration reform, hope you don't suggest that you're going to take a pathway to citizenship and delink it from border security because if you don't secure the border, we know what happens. You're going to have 12 million illegal immigrants 20 years from now."
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158296 Jan 29, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Penalize?
But a national registry will criminalize them. I've said it before but it bears repeating: Those seeking help will be on the registry, even those with transitory illness, such as post-partum depression and adjustment disorders and also drug and alcohol abusers will be on the list if they seek help. These will be driven underground because that list will not only be used by gun salesmen but by prospective employers and even neighbors. Imagine the gov't going to the local AA meeting to get some more people for their list. That may sound silly, but alot of German people poo-pood the idea that there was any real harm meant to the jews.
HIPAA is a joke with Obama care btw.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158297 Jan 29, 2013
Just an addition. We will all adjust to whatever Obama puts in place and go along and lead our lives. That's what the Germans did. lI'm sure alot of them said "I'm glad I'm not a jew" Now alot of people will say "I'm glad I'm not mentally ill or a drug addict."

Fremont, CA

#158298 Jan 29, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they did, in search of a better life for themselves and their family, they entered illegally. We might all have done the same, in their circumstances. If they have committed no crime, and have been decent people, it's time to include them in our society. Many of these people were small kids when they came with their parents, and this is the only country they have ever known. We need to empathize, and show compassion. That's all I'm saying.

I don't think the undocumented aliens are responsible for our financial problems. They have contributed at least as much as they have taken.

Fremont, CA

#158299 Jan 29, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the Dems are following the golden rule or just buying votes? Not that it really matters..........
It's the Republicans who realize they will lose votes if they don't rethink their policies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 1 min Aussie Kev 1,703
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 min Ex Lesbian 104,603
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 37,559
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min truth 641,112
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 30 min Osmius 969,857
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 35 min RiccardoFire 18,665
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min onemale 280,854
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Janitor Of The LORD 618,320
More from around the web