Gun sales boom on Black Friday

6 hrs ago Full story: Click Orlando 175,054

The busiest shopping day of the year also saw a major boom for gun sales, with the federal background check system expected to set a record of more than 144,000 background checks Friday, according to the FBI. The staggering number of checks -- an average of almost three per second, nearly three times the daily average -- falls on the shoulders of 600 FBI and contract call center employees who will endure 17-hour workdays in an attempt to complete the background reviews in three business days, as required by law, FBI spokesman Stephen Fischer said.

Full Story

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158236 Jan 28, 2013
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
"Lyndi"
"Lyndi"
"Lyndi"
You really should charge me rent for all the time I spend in your head. Either that or evict me. That laser beam you have zeroed in on me is rather odd there.......... Cathy.
Considering this is the only message you've replied to for the last three days, I think I may owe YOU for the storage space in your head.

That 'laser beam', of which you've credited yourself as the focus, is in reality merely replies to the two other posters who've mentioned or engaged you lately, in response to your 'rapine' wit.

You have a big fan in BadBob, though....perhaps you should throw him a bone. He's earned it. I can see the shine on your boots from here.

Enjoy your day, and consider yourself evicted, if that's what gets your motor runnin'....
Next.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158237 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Partially correct. Yes I'd much rather snipe, but I also wouldn't mind debating certain isues with someone other than a far-left zealot, who hasn't already been brainwashed.
<quoted text>
Instead of stickin' yer nose in on this, you should've waited to see what Chaser had to say first. Now his answers, if any will likely be tainted by YOUR "opinion".
I usually respect your opinion regardless of where it comes. But in this case, disappointed would be closer.
He'd already said essentially what I said, bob - although in much shorter fashion. Post 158210 was all that needed to be said about Lyndi's rant.

I think it's kind of funny that you accuse me of sticking my nose into a discussion where you're challenging someone for not answering a party that ain't you.

Funny, but par for the course. I expect I'll be skewered for challenging you on this, but that's what this thread has devolved into.

As far as far left zealot - that's a handy descriptor that seldom has any meaning whatsoever. Several former posters in this thread have applied it to me, you know. Far left zealot means about as much as WIR screeching about neo-cons.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#158238 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Many things carry some kind of mojo. It is obviously wiser to eat fresh fruit as opposed to a whopper for health, but it is not the government's role to provide it or even to subsidise it to make it cheap. I can think of a million different things like that. Labor laws and food and drug protection are different because we can't allow people to harm other people. If you harm yourself I think that is totally up to you. I might try to dissuade you or even lend you a hand but government should not mandate it.
What mental gymnastics does it take to equate reproductive healthcare with "harming yourself"?

“The future begins”

every moment

#158239 Jan 28, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I was wondering about that. A commentator (I forget who) on FOX said this afternoon that the prez was planning to present his own immigration reform plan tomorrow, and showed McCain saying that when he spoke to the prez about the one today Obama told him he was "delighted that the Senate had beat him to the punch" or words to that effect. Was he REALLY "delighted," do you think? Or is it possible that since his wasn't first that he'll try to throw a monkey wrench into the mix?
Frankly, I for one wouldn't put it past him. The man can't stand not being in the limelight or not getting the credit for anything he sees as positive, whether or not he really had anything substantial to do with it.
In the absence of real examples, very often opposition takes to predicting what dire events will happen, or what XYZ was thinking, or what is really in XYZ's heart. It serves to besmirch a person or initiative in the absence of real dirt. The beauty of it is, it's stated, or posted, it's as good as if it really happened, but no one ever is called upon to come back to it to see how it turned out. It would be an interesting exercise (for those with more time than myself) to go back on these boards and list all the dire predictions made over the last 5-6 years, and see how they came out.

Would you be willing to track what happens with this legislation and report back on the "wrench", or lack thereof?

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158240 Jan 28, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>You have a big fan in BadBob, though....perhaps you should throw him a bone. He's earned it. I can see the shine on your boots from here.
<OFF TOPIC>

MEOOWWWRRR!! Cheap shot, unbecoming of one with such a snooty vocabulary.

Lyndi already knows I'm a huge fan, as I said so about 3 months ago or so. Old news, which only shows your desperation at grasping for a snappy comeback.

You'd be much better off adding Lyndi (with Lis) to your ignore list, as I'm a big fan of BOTH. You & Roberta seem to get along well, it's unfortunate you can't bother to take Lis & Lyndi for who they are, and what they have to say.

That says a lot more about YOU, than it does about them, doesn't it?

“The future begins”

every moment

#158241 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Labor laws and food and drug protection are different because we can't allow people to harm other people. If you harm yourself I think that is totally up to you. I might try to dissuade you or even lend you a hand but government should not mandate it.
So, there should be no minimal coverage for the mentally ill, right? Unless there's a psychiatric determination they might harm another, according to your prescription? Which of course, will not happen in the majority of cases, unless the person has coverage. Depressed, psychopathic, and/or suicidal? You're on your own. Since there's no psychiatric determination of illness, you have a Constitutional right to the weapon of your choice. Please do be careful.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158242 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>As far as far left zealot - that's a handy descriptor that seldom has any meaning whatsoever. Several former posters in this thread have applied it to me, you know.
Nah I've never considered you FAR left, and don't recall anyone
else ever applying that to you.

I was referring to posters like okb.

You've made 2 referrals in a row now, to a worthless parrot that is too lazy to learn our language. I'd shut him out of this thread permanently if I had the keys to the gate.

And I replied to Chaser because he asked me about the Senate Immigration hearings, instead of answering Lyndi first. His earlier cop-out reply which you alluded to, was NO substantive answer. But I suspect it's a bit too late now.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#158243 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>He'd already said essentially what I said, bob - although in much shorter fashion. Post 158210 was all that needed to be said about Lyndi's rant.
I think it's kind of funny that you accuse me of sticking my nose into a discussion where you're challenging someone for not answering a party that ain't you.
Funny, but par for the course. I expect I'll be skewered for challenging you on this, but that's what this thread has devolved into.
As far as far left zealot - that's a handy descriptor that seldom has any meaning whatsoever. Several former posters in this thread have applied it to me, you know. Far left zealot means about as much as WIR screeching about neo-cons.
So for long time, you mentally challenged and could get at me; so know you trying to get me involved and why know.

As FYI you have a comprehension problem, all this time you read my posts you should know I'm not lefties d sure not rightie is the main culprit ans is way more nasty in our US politic today then leftie but both are corrupted beyond repair. Have any of you every consider a THIRD PARTY? Why fight back and forth over same two evil being brought out by our US corporatist - US not a democracy, its every action at home and abroad , is not its soul purpose, it US a fascit nation , An Oligarchy Plutocracy - an Authoritarian US republic, on foreign matter to outsider, nations of the world now considered us Americans as a militaristic US interventionist neo-imperialist. Does it irk you or you still sleeping on the job like many of our American Zombie Sheeeeoples. BWHAHAHHAHAAAAAA Good Night! thanks for concern, and why involve me in you little petty squables? Momma Drama! BWHAHHAHHAHAHAAA

Have a hiney melons, you earned it and I give some to bad bob for being nice on ice. BWHAHHAHAHHAAA

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#158244 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh uh uh, not so fast mr attorney. I believe you owe Lyndi answers to her msg #158208, of which uncomfortable substances you are so fond of ignoring.
I'll be happy to answer YOUR question when you have concluded with that, if you're still interested in "my take".
I don't see any question in Lyndi's post #158208, other than the rhetorical first sentence, which was not intended as a question requiring a response.

In any case, never mind. I will accept your copout. I didn't think you'd be able to give an answer to my question, and I was right.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#158245 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>You forget it's not really on the table until Obama says it's on the table. If he doesn't like it the democrats are no longer at the table.
The Democrats, including the President, will be delighted that if the Republicans offer a pathway to legal residency and citizenship to current undocumented aliens, and renounce their plea for deportation and marginalizing. We'll see what the House Republicans have to say....

Remember, Romney got 21% of the Hispanic vote.

United States

#158246 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>In the absence of real examples, very often opposition takes to predicting what dire events will happen, or what XYZ was thinking, or what is really in XYZ's heart. It serves to besmirch a person or initiative in the absence of real dirt. The beauty of it is, it's stated, or posted, it's as good as if it really happened, but no one ever is called upon to come back to it to see how it turned out. It would be an interesting exercise (for those with more time than myself) to go back on these boards and list all the dire predictions made over the last 5-6 years, and see how they came out.
Would you be willing to track what happens with this legislation and report back on the "wrench", or lack thereof?
You asking her to reflect and ruminated, good luck with that. She ain't gonna air her really dirty laundries. U think a hot iron to back of the evil beast will do the trick or is that too inhumane?

BWHHAHAHAAa

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158247 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah I've never considered you FAR left, and don't recall anyone
else ever applying that to you.
I was referring to posters like okb.
You've made 2 referrals in a row now, to a worthless parrot that is too lazy to learn our language. I'd shut him out of this thread permanently if I had the keys to the gate.
And I replied to Chaser because he asked me about the Senate Immigration hearings, instead of answering Lyndi first. His earlier cop-out reply which you alluded to, was NO substantive answer. But I suspect it's a bit too late now.
I think Catcher gave more of a substantive answer to Lyndi's reiteration of the Romney election talking points than it actually warranted, bob, which makes this attempt to portray me as 'spoiling the discussion' pretty silly.

Why should no substance warrant a substantive reply?

United States

#158248 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrats, including the President, will be delighted that if the Republicans offer a pathway to legal residency and citizenship to current undocumented aliens, and renounce their plea for deportation and marginalizing. We'll see what the House Republicans have to say...
Not just Hispanic voters as the warring RepubLIEcans political kids games are not doing good with the entertaining the majority of Colored people, a losing proposition for those in power... shape up or be ship out to the early grave. Both party failed big time for American people and world, as historical facts show it a corrupted and greedy at helm of both evils. BHHAHHAAAAA

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

#158249 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrats, including the President, will be delighted that if the Republicans offer a pathway to legal residency and citizenship to current undocumented aliens, and renounce their plea for deportation and marginalizing. We'll see what the House Republicans have to say....
The crucial question is whether the Senate put together a bill that will survive in the House.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#158250 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>What mental gymnastics does it take to equate reproductive healthcare with "harming yourself"?
That's twisted. I believe you misread my post.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#158251 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
But you see what the committee is actually talking about and what gets presented to the senate for a vote are often two different things. What is being talked about right now, a path to citizenship, though somewhat difficult is wonderful, but I suspect that it will not be what Obama wants, maybe for the reason Roberta states, he wants the limelight and the final say or because he thinks the path should be easy. Or a third caveat, Reid doesn't like it for whatever political reason. Reasonableness seems to lose it's strength.
I have always been for a pathway to citizenship. If it is difficult enough the ones who are truly motivated to be americans will stay and the ones who aren't won't.
It makes no sense to punish people for coming here illegally, I'd have done it too, but we need to make it right.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158252 Jan 28, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out:
7 Murdered Saturday in Democrat Controlled Chicago

Here's an editorial: "Murder rate soars in OKC"
http://www.news9.com/story/20410837/murder-ra...

Does the administrative politics of the city really have any significance?

“The future begins”

every moment

#158253 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>That's twisted. I believe you misread my post.
You left a lot more space to clarify in that box there. I read just what you wrote, and responded accordingly. If you'd like to tweak it, now's as good a time as any.
lisw

Delaware, OH

#158254 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>So, there should be no minimal coverage for the mentally ill, right? Unless there's a psychiatric determination they might harm another, according to your prescription? Which of course, will not happen in the majority of cases, unless the person has coverage. Depressed, psychopathic, and/or suicidal? You're on your own. Since there's no psychiatric determination of illness, you have a Constitutional right to the weapon of your choice. Please do be careful.
Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know how it works. So I ask very politely that you not put words in my mouth.
Let me give you an example so you might understand what I am saying. There are many wonderful over the counter remedies for acid reflux. An insurance company wants you to avail yourself of these plus practice good health choices like avoiding tobacco, alcohol and high acid foods before they pay for expensive brand name medications like nexium. Luckily birth control is not expensive even if it is prescribed, but there are lots of over the counter options. Do I think people have more control over birth control than they do over mental illness. Why yes!

“The future begins”

every moment

#158255 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know how it works. So I ask very politely that you not put words in my mouth.
Let me give you an example so you might understand what I am saying. There are many wonderful over the counter remedies for acid reflux. An insurance company wants you to avail yourself of these plus practice good health choices like avoiding tobacco, alcohol and high acid foods before they pay for expensive brand name medications like nexium. Luckily birth control is not expensive even if it is prescribed, but there are lots of over the counter options. Do I think people have more control over birth control than they do over mental illness. Why yes!
Back up. You said that the government should have no input when the issue is only a person harming themselves. Your words. There is no twist. The post is only a couple pages back. Now when I respond to your words, you crawfish and try and accuse me. If you didn't write what you meant, that ain't on me. If you want to rework your words after seeing them in a fuller light, that's cool, but that ain't on me either. In either case, shepherd your own words, don't take the easy route of accusing others of "twisting" them when they haven't done so. Super-Secret Debate Suggestion - think through all the possible responses before you push "post".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min pusherman_ 765,522
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 57 min AussieBobby 263,718
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Qu_innocence 603,725
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Jan 1,192
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr NATIVE INDIAN 5,456
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 2 hr MUQ1 37,661
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 3 hr andet1987 4,972
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr truth 555,197

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE