Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158249 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrats, including the President, will be delighted that if the Republicans offer a pathway to legal residency and citizenship to current undocumented aliens, and renounce their plea for deportation and marginalizing. We'll see what the House Republicans have to say....
Remember, Romney got 21% of the Hispanic vote.
The crucial question is whether the Senate put together a bill that will survive in the House.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158250 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>What mental gymnastics does it take to equate reproductive healthcare with "harming yourself"?
That's twisted. I believe you misread my post.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158251 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrats, including the President, will be delighted that if the Republicans offer a pathway to legal residency and citizenship to current undocumented aliens, and renounce their plea for deportation and marginalizing. We'll see what the House Republicans have to say....
Remember, Romney got 21% of the Hispanic vote.
But you see what the committee is actually talking about and what gets presented to the senate for a vote are often two different things. What is being talked about right now, a path to citizenship, though somewhat difficult is wonderful, but I suspect that it will not be what Obama wants, maybe for the reason Roberta states, he wants the limelight and the final say or because he thinks the path should be easy. Or a third caveat, Reid doesn't like it for whatever political reason. Reasonableness seems to lose it's strength.
I have always been for a pathway to citizenship. If it is difficult enough the ones who are truly motivated to be americans will stay and the ones who aren't won't.
It makes no sense to punish people for coming here illegally, I'd have done it too, but we need to make it right.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#158252 Jan 28, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Check this out:
7 Murdered Saturday in Democrat Controlled Chicago

Here's an editorial: "Murder rate soars in OKC"
http://www.news9.com/story/20410837/murder-ra...

Does the administrative politics of the city really have any significance?

“The future begins”

every moment

#158253 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>That's twisted. I believe you misread my post.
You left a lot more space to clarify in that box there. I read just what you wrote, and responded accordingly. If you'd like to tweak it, now's as good a time as any.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158254 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>So, there should be no minimal coverage for the mentally ill, right? Unless there's a psychiatric determination they might harm another, according to your prescription? Which of course, will not happen in the majority of cases, unless the person has coverage. Depressed, psychopathic, and/or suicidal? You're on your own. Since there's no psychiatric determination of illness, you have a Constitutional right to the weapon of your choice. Please do be careful.
Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know how it works. So I ask very politely that you not put words in my mouth.
Let me give you an example so you might understand what I am saying. There are many wonderful over the counter remedies for acid reflux. An insurance company wants you to avail yourself of these plus practice good health choices like avoiding tobacco, alcohol and high acid foods before they pay for expensive brand name medications like nexium. Luckily birth control is not expensive even if it is prescribed, but there are lots of over the counter options. Do I think people have more control over birth control than they do over mental illness. Why yes!

“The future begins”

every moment

#158255 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know how it works. So I ask very politely that you not put words in my mouth.
Let me give you an example so you might understand what I am saying. There are many wonderful over the counter remedies for acid reflux. An insurance company wants you to avail yourself of these plus practice good health choices like avoiding tobacco, alcohol and high acid foods before they pay for expensive brand name medications like nexium. Luckily birth control is not expensive even if it is prescribed, but there are lots of over the counter options. Do I think people have more control over birth control than they do over mental illness. Why yes!
Back up. You said that the government should have no input when the issue is only a person harming themselves. Your words. There is no twist. The post is only a couple pages back. Now when I respond to your words, you crawfish and try and accuse me. If you didn't write what you meant, that ain't on me. If you want to rework your words after seeing them in a fuller light, that's cool, but that ain't on me either. In either case, shepherd your own words, don't take the easy route of accusing others of "twisting" them when they haven't done so. Super-Secret Debate Suggestion - think through all the possible responses before you push "post".

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158256 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any question in Lyndi's post #158208, other than the rhetorical first sentence, which was not intended as a question requiring a response.
In any case, never mind. I will accept your copout. I didn't think you'd be able to give an answer to my question, and I was right.
Hrumph. The answer to your question was not difficult, so you are NOT right, you are dead wrong! But so gracious of you (mr cop-out)
to accept what you call my COP-OUT.

And apparently you don't read very well. I didn't say Lyndi posted "questions". I said you failed to answer Lyndi's msg #158208. Well, except for the cop-out reply which got us here in the 1st place.

But all these issues must be uncomfortable for you to reply to, because with all the time you've taken dodging, dancing and ignoring, you could've simply responded with a civil reply. Or does Lyndi no longer deserve such a reply from you any more? IIRC, you came in here looking for her, because you missed her exchanges on that other thread.

You claimed that you respected her opinions even though they didn't agree with yours. So has that changed or not? It's a simple answer yes or no? If no, then the least you could do is respond as the gentleman you purport to be, no matter what opinion you place on her msg #158208. And no matter what any other poster's opinion is, of that msg.

Assign numbers to those issues and answer them one by one like ya should'a done long ago. Or is that too much to ask, SIR!

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158257 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about.
Is there anyone besides you who offers an opinion on an issue related to mental health who knows what they're talking about, lisw?

“The future begins”

every moment

#158258 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Is there anyone besides you who offers an opinion on an issue related to mental health who knows what they're talking about, lisw?
There it is. That recurring issue was noted as well, but I thought it best to address one issue at a time......

“The future begins”

every moment

#158259 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Let me give you an example so you might understand what I am saying. There are many wonderful over the counter remedies for acid reflux. An insurance company wants you to avail yourself of these plus practice good health choices like avoiding tobacco, alcohol and high acid foods before they pay for expensive brand name medications like nexium. Luckily birth control is not expensive even if it is prescribed, but there are lots of over the counter options. Do I think people have more control over birth control than they do over mental illness. Why yes!
I can say with almost 100% certainty that if you have ongoing health coverage, and you visit the doctor for acid reflux, and the doctor prescribes Nexium, the insurance will pay for a generic at the least, minus the co-pay. The doctor will not send you away and ask you to consult your insurance company for alternative treatments first.

No doubt I'm twisting your words again.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158260 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The crucial question is whether the Senate put together a bill that will survive in the House.
Exactly. There will be Republican realists, and Republicans that will stick to their 19th Century "principles," as they call them. They will engage in internal discord publicly and at their peril.

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158261 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>But you see what the committee is actually talking about and what gets presented to the senate for a vote are often two different things. What is being talked about right now, a path to citizenship, though somewhat difficult is wonderful, but I suspect that it will not be what Obama wants, maybe for the reason Roberta states, he wants the limelight and the final say or because he thinks the path should be easy. Or a third caveat, Reid doesn't like it for whatever political reason. Reasonableness seems to lose it's strength.
I have always been for a pathway to citizenship. If it is difficult enough the ones who are truly motivated to be americans will stay and the ones who aren't won't.
It makes no sense to punish people for coming here illegally, I'd have done it too, but we need to make it right.
Good for you. I didn't expect this from you, and I respect you for it.

Hermosa Beach, CA

#158262 Jan 28, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Hrumph. The answer to your question was not difficult, so you are NOT right, you are dead wrong! But so gracious of you (mr cop-out)
to accept what you call my COP-OUT.
And apparently you don't read very well. I didn't say Lyndi posted "questions". I said you failed to answer Lyndi's msg #158208. Well, except for the cop-out reply which got us here in the 1st place.
But all these issues must be uncomfortable for you to reply to, because with all the time you've taken dodging, dancing and ignoring, you could've simply responded with a civil reply. Or does Lyndi no longer deserve such a reply from you any more? IIRC, you came in here looking for her, because you missed her exchanges on that other thread.
You claimed that you respected her opinions even though they didn't agree with yours. So has that changed or not? It's a simple answer yes or no? If no, then the least you could do is respond as the gentleman you purport to be, no matter what opinion you place on her msg #158208. And no matter what any other poster's opinion is, of that msg.
Assign numbers to those issues and answer them one by one like ya should'a done long ago. Or is that too much to ask, SIR!
The answer is that my respect for Lyndi's opinions, and for her intellect, is the same as it was at the start. Lyndi is no dummy, and she expresses herself very well, probably better than 95% of the posters I have encountered on Topix.

Lyndi and I have gone over the issues, we know where we disagree. If questions are asked, I will answer. Otherwise I will share opinions but don't feel obligated to debate each point, each time.

So tell us. What do you think of the "pathway to citizenship" bipartisan proposal for undocumented immigrants?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158263 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. There will be Republican realists, and Republicans that will stick to their 19th Century "principles," as they call them. They will engage in internal discord publicly and at their peril.
If a reasonable bill comes out of the Senate, it remains to be seen if the House leadership can lead or continue to be driven by the extremes the way they are on fiscal issues.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158264 Jan 28, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Is there anyone besides you who offers an opinion on an issue related to mental health who knows what they're talking about, lisw?
I humbly believe that I know more about mental health than you or Hipgnosis and that you know more about the law and mechanics than I do. There is a very intricate network of free and low cost mental health to all citizens. I know you and others want to say that noone can get help but it just isn't true. I know this because I worked in it. It's like me saying that I can't get any legal help because I can't afford a lawyer. That's not true is it? Now legal help is not even one tenth as available as mental health care and alcohol/drug treatment but it would be wrong of me to say it doesn't exist.
On top of that the great PP is there for help in reproductive help. Like anything else if you can afford it PP isn't free.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158265 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I can say with almost 100% certainty that if you have ongoing health coverage, and you visit the doctor for acid reflux, and the doctor prescribes Nexium, the insurance will pay for a generic at the least, minus the co-pay. The doctor will not send you away and ask you to consult your insurance company for alternative treatments first.
No doubt I'm twisting your words again.
No you're not twisting my words this time but you are wrong. It's not the doctor who send you away it is the insurance company that turns you away until you have tried the alternatives. No generic for many drugs. No generic for Nexium.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158266 Jan 28, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Back up. You said that the government should have no input when the issue is only a person harming themselves. Your words. There is no twist. The post is only a couple pages back. Now when I respond to your words, you crawfish and try and accuse me. If you didn't write what you meant, that ain't on me. If you want to rework your words after seeing them in a fuller light, that's cool, but that ain't on me either. In either case, shepherd your own words, don't take the easy route of accusing others of "twisting" them when they haven't done so. Super-Secret Debate Suggestion - think through all the possible responses before you push "post".
In the original exchange you compared reproductive health care imposed by the government to things like drug and food safety and proper working conditions. I held that protecting people from toxic work environments and food and drugs was to keep one group of people from hurting another. Birth control is a self-driven protection of oneself. No one is endangering another person. You turned that around on me completely. I do beg your pardon Hip but I believe if I said just "I disagree" you would see it as an ad hominem attack.
lisw

Lewis Center, OH

#158267 Jan 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. I didn't expect this from you, and I respect you for it.
Many of my views are quite middle of the road. I don't see common decency as a legacy of the left. It's why I liked Romney.
UidiotRaceMAKEWO LRDPEACE

United States

#158268 Jan 28, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Again twisting what I am saying. You don't know what is available in mental health care so you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know how it works. So I ask very politely that you not put words in my mouth.
interjecting you should addressed the US military issuing PSTD Soldiers these awful Psyhcotropic drugs... AFRAID TO TALK ABOUT IT, YOU OUR CHICKHAWKS....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min justthefacts 981,413
News Judge allows Oregon resident to be genderless 4 min discocrisco 3
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Michael 673,409
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min Lonestar 104,828
News Michael Jackson broke down racial barriers (Jun '09) 57 min Mojo Hojo 1,562
News Continue reading O'Reilly wig comment just the ... 1 hr slick willie expl... 3
Well.......now I KNOW I won't buy with Amazon.com 3 hr Pizza Delivery 2
More from around the web