Bush is a hero

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#158025 Jan 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well that's true.
Hey, how 'bout them Niners?
I hope Ray Lewis and co. Steam roll Kaepernick.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#158026 Jan 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well that's true.
Hey, how 'bout them Niners?
Don't care for 49ers or Ravens.

I like the Broncos, Vikes, Packers, Chiefs, & Rams in that order.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#158027 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Working on three terms for Obama?
Do tell ...
Okay, so a bit of research reveals that a Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15] has introduced HJ Res. 15, "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President."
%
It has been introduced and referred to committee, as have balanced budget amendments, congressional term limit amendments, repeal the 16th amendment (income tax) and constitutional amendments to counteract the ramifications of the Citizens United Supreme Court decision.

Absolutely none of those House Joint Resolutions (at least, that's what I assume HJ Res. stands for) are given the prospects of success that H.J.Res. 3 (expressing support for designation of September 2013 as “Gospel Music Heritage Month” and honoring gospel music for music for its valuable and longstanding contributions to the culture of the United States) has.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hjr...

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#158028 Jan 23, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't care for 49ers or Ravens.
I like the Broncos, Vikes, Packers, Chiefs, & Rams in that order.
I have me sentimental favorites - Bears (NFC) and Jets (AFC). Beyond that, I admire any well-run organization, which takes in the 49ers, Patriots, Packers (let's keep that on the down-low), and well-run teams, like the Broncos and Falcons). I don't care for much of any organized sport beyond football, so August thru January is my happy days. I could do without the Thursday nite games, I think it's pure ratings driven, and disrupts game planning. I really would have liked to see NE in the Super Bowl, but fact is, they didn't lose the AFC title, the Ravens won it. I expected to see that old defense wear down in the 2nd half, and they sure didn't. Best to 'em. My guess is the Niners win (sorry Lawest;), esp. if Ray Rice can't play 100%. Certainly both teams are peaking at the right time, so it should be a good fight.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158029 Jan 23, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw instead of your usual bs would you like to make a case that the news media is anything but lapdogs?
It's >always< been the case, that they've been accused as much at least. Tho' many have, I will never never forget the near complete lack of due diligence in fact-checking and journalistic skepticism in the run-up to the Iraq adventure, with alleged "liberal lap-dog" NYT right out in front of the "reporting", which amounted to being stenographer for anything that came out of the White House/Pentagon. Even NPR, which I've listened to regular on my morning commute, did little but rehash press releases. Those alone blow your theory out of the water. The fact that a news org doesn't deride and distort your personal political enemies ala O'Reilimbeckanitty does not automatically make them liberal lapdogs.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158030 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, so a bit of research reveals that a Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15] has introduced HJ Res. 15, "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President."
%
It has been introduced and referred to committee, as have balanced budget amendments, congressional term limit amendments, repeal the 16th amendment (income tax) and constitutional amendments to counteract the ramifications of the Citizens United Supreme Court decision.
Absolutely none of those House Joint Resolutions (at least, that's what I assume HJ Res. stands for) are given the prospects of success that H.J.Res. 3 (expressing support for designation of September 2013 as “Gospel Music Heritage Month” and honoring gospel music for music for its valuable and longstanding contributions to the culture of the United States) has.
I see Michele Bachmann Quixote has >once again< introduced a bill to repeal The Affordable Health Care Act. Funny thing is, no-cosponsors signed on this time (at last check). What does this make - 32, 33 times now they've enacted this charade? I wonder how much taxpayer money has been spent tilting at this windmill?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158031 Jan 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I see Michele Bachmann Quixote has >once again< introduced a bill to repeal The Affordable Health Care Act. Funny thing is, no-cosponsors signed on this time (at last check). What does this make - 32, 33 times now they've enacted this charade? I wonder how much taxpayer money has been spent tilting at this windmill?
I think the formal introduction of a bill by any member requires that it be printed, but beyond that I don't think there is any real cost for the majority of the 4000 bills introduced each year. Those bills are introduced, referred to committee, and then tabled into obscurity.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#158032 Jan 23, 2013
A great president, I miss him.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158033 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I think the formal introduction of a bill by any member requires that it be printed, but beyond that I don't think there is any real cost for the majority of the 4000 bills introduced each year. Those bills are introduced, referred to committee, and then tabled into obscurity.
Time spent on the floor debating and/or voting constitutes money spent. The Congressional Research Service figures it costs the House about $24 million a week to operate. Thus the 80 hours or so spent on these 30+ grandstanding bills thus far figure in at about $48 million.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#158034 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, so a bit of research reveals that a Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15] has introduced HJ Res. 15, "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President."
%
Was there a bill of secession introduced by anyone, or were there just petitions?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158036 Jan 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Time spent on the floor debating and/or voting constitutes money spent. The Congressional Research Service figures it costs the House about $24 million a week to operate. Thus the 80 hours or so spent on these 30+ grandstanding bills thus far figure in at about $48 million.
A bill referred to committee where it is tabled never requires any serious allocation of time or staff beyond that spent drafting them. These bills certainly never get debated or voted on.

I don't think there's any way that could add up to $48 million. Most of them are introduced for show, so a Congressperson can say to their constituents or a specific constituency that they're 'trying to do something about' whatever.

455 bills have been introduced before Congress so far this term. You can find a list of them here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse...

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158037 Jan 23, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Was there a bill of secession introduced by anyone, or were there just petitions?
Those were just petitions.

That wouldn't be a bill introduced in Congress anyway, but instead in a state legislature or (as in the last time it was tried) a special state convention.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#158038 Jan 23, 2013

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#158039 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>If things were better 'before your time', why have I heard just about every contemporary complaint made about the dreaded 'main stream media' over and over and over again for literally as long as I can remember (mid 1960s)? Why have I encountered at least traces of it in historical research going back to at least 1939/1940 [during the isolationist/interventionist drama]?
With the changes in the way 'news' is delivered since the advent of Fox News in 1996 (?), with the plethora of 'alternative' conservative [and further right] sources of information available online, I have difficulty understanding why this continues to play so well.
Sorry Wildman, I just don't see much of a comparison to the era prior to the retirement of Cronkite. Even the earlier years of Rather, Jennings and Brokow made it difficult to decide where they stood based on their on-air news reporting.

But it seemed after Walter retired, and "came out", that it not only opened the doors for the other big 3 anchors, it almost transported the entire MSM from trying to be stealth Liberals, to not even caring about hiding it any more.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158040 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>A bill referred to committee where it is tabled never requires any serious allocation of time or staff beyond that spent drafting them. These bills certainly never get debated or voted on.
I don't think there's any way that could add up to $48 million. Most of them are introduced for show, so a Congressperson can say to their constituents or a specific constituency that they're 'trying to do something about' whatever.
455 bills have been introduced before Congress so far this term. You can find a list of them here:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse...
Are you saying that's the case with these 30+ bills? I don't know. CBS had a piece about it, and stated as much.

“The future begins”

every moment

#158041 Jan 23, 2013

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158042 Jan 23, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Wildman, I just don't see much of a comparison to the era prior to the retirement of Cronkite. Even the earlier years of Rather, Jennings and Brokow made it difficult to decide where they stood based on their on-air news reporting.
But it seemed after Walter retired, and "came out", that it not only opened the doors for the other big 3 anchors, it almost transported the entire MSM from trying to be stealth Liberals, to not even caring about hiding it any more.
We disagree on this, bob, because imo the same things you're saying about contemporary broadcasters were said about Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, and Murrow before that - all at the time they were broadcasting.

I've always thought it interesting that far left critics of the mainstream media use almost identical language in criticizing the 'establishment' press, and oddly enough (he says sarcastically) they're usually willing to point you to a source that tells 'the real truth' or is 'fair and balanced' or some other promotional blurb.

Since the advent of modern media we've swung back and forth from conservative (Eisenhower, Nixon/Ford, Reagan, Bush) to liberal (Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton, Obama - all with various folks screaming that they (they being the other guys) dominate the media.

Funny how that works ...

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#158043 Jan 23, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that's the case with these 30+ bills? I don't know. CBS had a piece about it, and stated as much.
We were talking about two different things. I thought your figure was for the bills introduced into Congress so far this year, and not being as specific as you were.

I don't doubt there is a real cost to things like the repeated attempts to repeal the health care bill, and the Democrats have engaged in their own stunts on things like gun control and welfare.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#158044 Jan 23, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>We disagree on this, bob, because imo the same things you're saying about contemporary broadcasters were said about Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, and Murrow before that - all at the time they were broadcasting.
If that was the case, it must've been a revelation behind the scenes. We grew up watching the news, and it was usually the big 3 networks, because that was b4 cable and was all we could get.

Anyway, none of us in our family could say that a certain anchor had to be a Liberal (our house was strictly Republican) because of the manner in which [he] was reporting.(IIRC, there were no female anchors at that time).

The only other thing I can attribute your opinion to is that you delved deeper into politics and news at a very early age (which you've already stated), and were more aware of the ideology of newscasters. No one I know of had any idea until Cronkite finally hung up his mike.
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#158046 Jan 24, 2013
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was the case, it must've been a revelation behind the scenes. We grew up watching the news, and it was usually the big 3 networks, because that was b4 cable and was all we could get.
Anyway, none of us in our family could say that a certain anchor had to be a Liberal (our house was strictly Republican) because of the manner in which [he] was reporting.(IIRC, there were no female anchors at that time).
The only other thing I can attribute your opinion to is that you delved deeper into politics and news at a very early age (which you've already stated), and were more aware of the ideology of newscasters. No one I know of had any idea until Cronkite finally hung up his mike.
I wonder if JFK drove a tingle up Cronkite's leg..........

Hi Bob!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 22 min KENTUCKY CATHOLIC 81,277
Judas Iscariot and Mark Fuhrman 1 hr Johnny 47
Heros of the Simpson criminal trial 1 hr Johnny 56
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Johnny 448,459
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr URineIdiot 701,951
Gay snap eh 6 hr Vet 15
"I thought me & you was down like stocking caps... 6 hr Doctor REALITY 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr River Tam 995,884