Bush is a hero

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#157867 Jan 13, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>that's a very uninformed opinion. The guy who killed those children didn't own those guns so even if he had been on a list it would have done no good. Maybe they'll put everyone on a list that's even related to someone with a mental health diagnosis or is friends with one. The patriot act will be nothing compared to this.
It's a highly informed opinion - sometimes love, therapy, and medication are NOT ENOUGH. Some folks need to be kept out of society. We need to bring back the mental institutions, and start culling the crazies again.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#157868 Jan 13, 2013
lisw wrote:
If gun laws talked about go into effect it's going to have a terrible domino effect. Private mental health info will become accessible to anyone, just like criminal history. That means people with symptoms are not going to seek help. Not because they want to own a gun, but because they don't want to be on some list.
What laws or proposals are you talking about?

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#157869 Jan 13, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>It's a highly informed opinion - sometimes love, therapy, and medication are NOT ENOUGH. Some folks need to be kept out of society. We need to bring back the mental institutions, and start culling the crazies again.
You really shouldn't boast of a 'highly informed opinion' two sentences before you speak of 'culling the crazies' again, because you prove yourself grotesquely UNINFORMED and pretty damned ignorant.

I happen to agree with you that states need to increase long-term beds/facilities and work on making commitment processes more effective, but it's more out of concern and compassion for the people afflicted with mental illness and those affected by them.

And no, lisw - I don't want a return to locking up McMurphy and throwing away the key, but we've gone too far in saving money and in protecting the rights of people who often have no more ability to use those rights than a child or anyone for some reason incapacitated.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#157870 Jan 13, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>What laws or proposals are you talking about?
There has been a great deal of talk about having lists that include people with a mental health diagnosis as well as anyone with a drug history. I understand that new laws come into place with reaction to events and the event was awful. But I don't think it will help and it will drive those who struggle with mental illness deeper underground. I agree that there need to be better methods to keep dangerous people whether to self or others in the hospital until things really change. I believe a therapist who knows there is danger has a duty to act, but many many people with mental problems are no more likely to kill anyone than you or me. We'd gasp in horror if anyone claimed because there is more black crime that we should watch all black people. This is not any different. If it comes to this I just pray that those who make decisions really know what they're talking about.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#157871 Jan 13, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>There has been a great deal of talk about having lists that include people with a mental health diagnosis as well as anyone with a drug history. I understand that new laws come into place with reaction to events and the event was awful. But I don't think it will help and it will drive those who struggle with mental illness deeper underground. I agree that there need to be better methods to keep dangerous people whether to self or others in the hospital until things really change. I believe a therapist who knows there is danger has a duty to act, but many many people with mental problems are no more likely to kill anyone than you or me. We'd gasp in horror if anyone claimed because there is more black crime that we should watch all black people. This is not any different. If it comes to this I just pray that those who make decisions really know what they're talking about.
There is a great deal of talk about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they have a chance of passing or (if worse comes to worse) standing up to court challenges.

I don't think the advocates for the mentally ill (including those concerned with their civil rights) are among the "constituencies" jockeying for position and making much of the noise at the moment - which is probably a wise thing, since the real work will come in writing those laws and policies.

Location hidden

#157872 Jan 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>You really shouldn't boast of a 'highly informed opinion' two sentences before you speak of 'culling the crazies' again, because you prove yourself grotesquely UNINFORMED and pretty damned ignorant.
I happen to agree with you that states need to increase long-term beds/facilities and work on making commitment processes more effective, but it's more out of concern and compassion for the people afflicted with mental illness and those affected by them.
And no, lisw - I don't want a return to locking up McMurphy and throwing away the key, but we've gone too far in saving money and in protecting the rights of people who often have no more ability to use those rights than a child or anyone for some reason incapacitated.
Blah, blah, concern, compassion, blah. I hope you'll pardon my lack of compassion for mass murderers Willie, since in my 'ignorant and grotesquely uninformed' opinion, the Sandy Hook killer was one crazy who should have been culled a damned long time before he got access to his mother's guns. What was HER concern? She knew what he was, and had 'compassion' for him, hoping he would just 'get better'.

He didn't.

PeterinOhio

Elyria, OH

#157873 Jan 14, 2013
Wow! I can't believe this place is still here. It feels like forever since I have last been on Topix- I thought the thead might be over by now. Pretty neat.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#157874 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>Blah, blah, concern, compassion, blah. I hope you'll pardon my lack of compassion for mass murderers Willie, since in my 'ignorant and grotesquely uninformed' opinion, the Sandy Hook killer was one crazy who should have been culled a damned long time before he got access to his mother's guns. What was HER concern? She knew what he was, and had 'compassion' for him, hoping he would just 'get better'.
He didn't.
Who said anything about compassion for mass murderers?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#157875 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>Blah, blah, concern, compassion, blah. I hope you'll pardon my lack of compassion for mass murderers Willie, since in my 'ignorant and grotesquely uninformed' opinion, the Sandy Hook killer was one crazy who should have been culled a damned long time before he got access to his mother's guns. What was HER concern? She knew what he was, and had 'compassion' for him, hoping he would just 'get better'.
He didn't.
Then your talking as if you know which ones will do something tragic. With the amount of incidents, we'll only need one building to 'cull the crazies'. We'll send them all to you, so we know which ones they are..........Or should we just 'cull' them all?

I hardly think the Sandy Hook mother knew her son was going to take the guns she gave him access to, and not only kill her but 20 kindergartners and 6 teachers..........

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#157877 Jan 14, 2013
PeterinOhio wrote:
Wow! I can't believe this place is still here. It feels like forever since I have last been on Topix- I thought the thead might be over by now. Pretty neat.
Ya should'a stuck around.
lisw

Mount Orab, OH

#157878 Jan 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>There is a great deal of talk about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they have a chance of passing or (if worse comes to worse) standing up to court challenges.
I don't think the advocates for the mentally ill (including those concerned with their civil rights) are among the "constituencies" jockeying for position and making much of the noise at the moment - which is probably a wise thing, since the real work will come in writing those laws and policies.
The NRA is one of the groups talking about it and very few including liberal democrats want to run afowl of the NRA. I haven't heard a peep from NAMI or NASW the organization that should be advocating for the mentally ill.

Even Obama said today that there are things they can do without legislation.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#157879 Jan 14, 2013
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>The NRA is one of the groups talking about it and very few including liberal democrats want to run afowl of the NRA. I haven't heard a peep from NAMI or NASW the organization that should be advocating for the mentally ill.
Even Obama said today that there are things they can do without legislation.
I suspect advocates for the mentally ill will do their talking when it counts, rather than engage in a pointless public exchange with an organization with a vested interest in shifting the discussion as far away from their interests as possible.
UidiotRaceMakewo rldpeace

United States

#157880 Jan 14, 2013
Welcome back Peter of Ohio, hope you OK!
lisw

Mount Orab, OH

#157881 Jan 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect advocates for the mentally ill will do their talking when it counts, rather than engage in a pointless public exchange with an organization with a vested interest in shifting the discussion as far away from their interests as possible.
I disagree. They should have come out with a statement already.

United States

#157882 Jan 14, 2013
<quoted text>It's a highly informed opinion - sometimes love, therapy, and medication are NOT ENOUGH. Some folks need to be kept out of society. We need to bring back the mental institutions, and start culling the crazies again.
Yes, especially those with Mental who Show signs of "Violent" personality, a study (forgot name) shows Pyschopaths/sociopaths is 3 - 4 % of population those are from Soldiers, jailed violent criminals, mental cases, Dictators Hitler, Bushjr..., Murders, killers,, Rapists,...

United States

#157883 Jan 14, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
Really its not funny, around this area alott of companies downsizing and moving, shutting down altogether since Obamas reelection.......... Are we sure he's spending the money correctly? Are we sure he's turning things around?
Doesnt look like it from here. He asked for 3 years we gave him 8. People still making excuses for him. Gotta love how fickle Americans are. We just cant be wrong.
I wonder how many people in 8 years will say they voted for Obama? My bet is they will dump him, just as quick as they dump there 'I was for the War' sentiments. Gotta run with the popular crowd here in the states..........Fickle........ ..
U Can not blame whole thing on Obama adm., it goes way back decades , the obnoxious NAFTA, ftaa deals , as many job outsourced, Manufacturers closures,... u even supported the trade deals

#157884 Jan 14, 2013
A short interesting article on a few past Presidential inaugurations gone wrong..........If anyones interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/presidential-inaugurati...

#157885 Jan 14, 2013
UidiotRaceMakeworldpeace wrote:
<quoted text>U Can not blame whole thing on Obama adm., it goes way back decades , the obnoxious NAFTA, ftaa deals , as many job outsourced, Manufacturers closures,... u even supported the trade deals
NAFTA plays its part, but I believe Obamacare is pushing these companies out of the country now. They could have left years ago, but choose now, right after Obamas reelection. Hmmmm..........

Location hidden

#157886 Jan 14, 2013
UidiotRaceMakeworldpeace wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, especially those with Mental who Show signs of "Violent" personality, a study (forgot name) shows Pyschopaths/sociopaths is 3 - 4 % of population those are from Soldiers, jailed violent criminals, mental cases, Dictators Hitler, Bushjr..., Murders, killers,, Rapists,...
Please go away.

I'm asking nicely.

Thank-you.

Location hidden

#157887 Jan 14, 2013
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Who said anything about compassion for mass murderers?
If you honestly believe the mother of that "person" lived with him in her home, and did not know in her heart that he was deeply disturbed, then you must believe she didn't spend any time at home, whatsoever,
or that she was abysmally stupid.

According to her neighbors, she knew she had a monster on her hands. She just chose not to do anything about it.

Even in this day and age, there are things one can do to prevent a mentally ill person from having access to guns IN ONE'S OWN HOME.

I've no compassion for either of them, as I've used it up on the families of those left behind by their actions, and the lack thereof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min Colombo 26,431
Truth About The Term: "White Nationalists" 57 min Johnny 12
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 58 min Test 985,711
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 1 hr Johnny 31
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Jake999 6,449
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 1 hr Johnny 70
i think that my husband is a pervert (Jan '09) 2 hr juliakk 159
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Anthony MN 685,770
More from around the web