Bush is a hero

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#155190 Nov 20, 2012
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Many people want to be stoned so that become numb and don't have to deal with the truth.
What truth would that be? That their life sucks? That they have demons to deal with? What do you know of such things? One doesn't think their way out of everything, especially mental illness. How does one erase low self-esteem? You are partly correct.

Location hidden

#155191 Nov 20, 2012
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Being a clinician I have seen and come to know intimately dual diagnosis people. I think they'd all to the last one say "just say no" is not an oversimplification. It really IS as simple as that. It's after people start using that it becomes very, very complicated.
That's easy to say. Let's say the person's life really sucks. It sucks due to alcoholism, drug addiction and depression. The person lives in a neighborhood where crime is rampant. The person also has a history of being sexually abused. How our truck drive friend encounters her in the parking lot. She is like a rabid dog and lashes out. She has never experienced a day of love in her life. She cannot recognize an act of love when the other person offers her a donut. She is going to just say no? I doubt it. What does she have to look forward too in life? First she needs to recognize that her life sucks and seek help. She needs to lover herself enough to do that. This is highly unlikely because she has such low self-esteem that she hates herself and is on a self-destructive path. She needs serious therapy but nobody is going to help her get it. Just say no. What do you have to offer this individual and those like her?

Are you kidding me?

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#155192 Nov 20, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk to the states that did it or are doing it. Want to take money out of the defense budget to pay for it? Want to pay more in taxes to pay for it? I already told you it cost more than it saved so you have to pay for it someway.
You going to take me up on my offer? You foot the bill and any money saved is yours?
Or are you just a Republican finding ways to spend other peoples money?
I'm willing to cut the Department of Education to pay for it. If that's not enough, I'd be willing to cut the Department of Energy too. If we still need more, there's always the EPA budget.

Location hidden

#155193 Nov 20, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets not forget the farmers and oil people.
Wow, almost 3,900 mindless messages already.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#155194 Nov 20, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets go to your original statement:
"The REAL problem is that today a large group of people now exists who are willing, even eager to give up their personal liberties in exchange for the government running their lives. That this group is enormous, enough to bankrupt America, became clear on November 6."
Now I will admit there may be one or two or even a few. Beyond that your post is much dumber than mine. Further it paints a terrible, almost Republicanesque picture of America.

I am calling you on your story. I don't know of any pubic assistance that ends with the earning of one dollar. Even unemployment in Virginia does not do that. Perhaps your state is different? Got a link?

I live about 6 miles from a Baors Head meat packing plant and have Perdue Chicken not far away. East of me is a pork plant. You qualify for food stamps with a family of four and up to $24K in income. Now, you don't qualify for the full-load, but you qualify for some. Same with public housing. Your subsidy is based on your income. And they could have worked continuously from the day that they got out of HS.
You are the one being naive. Even Governor Huckebee does not agree with you on this.
But thanks for one more example of Republicans believing their own rhetoric.
But you have an excellent chance to prove me wrong. All you have to do is post the rules for public assistance.
I already know it won't be worth your time.
"Calling me on my story"?!? Are you calling me a liar? This incident really did happen, but it was many years ago. More to the point, I have no idea exactly what kind of assistance the young man was receiving, or why or for how long he'd been receiving it. That was none of my business.

You still haven't answered my question. Why did you continue to praise Obama while telling everyone here you were going to vote for Romney?

Location hidden

#155195 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
That's easy to say. Let's say the person's life really sucks. It sucks due to alcoholism, drug addiction and depression. The person lives in a neighborhood where crime is rampant. The person also has a history of being sexually abused. How our truck drive friend encounters her in the parking lot. She is like a rabid dog and lashes out. She has never experienced a day of love in her life. She cannot recognize an act of love when the other person offers her a donut. She is going to just say no? I doubt it. What does she have to look forward too in life? First she needs to recognize that her life sucks and seek help. She needs to lover herself enough to do that. This is highly unlikely because she has such low self-esteem that she hates herself and is on a self-destructive path. She needs serious therapy but nobody is going to help her get it. Just say no. What do you have to offer this individual and those like her?
The lies of Santa Claus obama... he'll promise her anyhing.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#155196 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very happy to scape goat people on assistance. You have any way to create jobs and employment?
Well, you're even more of a jerk than I thought. But I'll have a crack at it anyway.

I'VE been on public assistance, buster. And all of the long-time regulars here know it. My husband was unemployed for NINE MONTHS two or three years ago, during which time he and I needed public assistance in the form of food stamps, health care and several other ways.(And that doesn't even take into account the help my now 80+ year old father gave us, or that from people at our church). But WE didn't MAKE A LIFESTYLE of it. As soon as hubby was gainfully employed again (and is still with that company today) we weaned ourselves off public assistance.

I think it would have been easy to remain on p. a. longer if we'd wanted. I WAS tempted, and all that would have been needed was a little fudging and a few lies. So I can see how others would be tempted as well, but BEING TEMPTED DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY. Being on public assistance when you don't need to be is STEALING. It's stealing from the people who really need p.a., and it's stealing from the taxpayers who provide the money required.

Did you see that report, a few months ago, of a woman in Michigan who was discovered to still be accepting public assistance even though she'd won a couple million bucks in a lottery and owned TWO homes?(She died a few months later, I'm not sure why). You think I or you or anyone else SHOULDN'T criticize that?

I am no saint, that's for sure, but I DO have a fairly well-developed sense of right and wrong. I am NOT one of those wusses out there who says "we have no right to judge." Yes, we DO, and yes, we should--at least in those cases where the facts are known and/or are such that the conduct being judged is indefensible no matter what the facts behind it happen to be. I never did care for euphemisms, and I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade, as the British put it. I will therefore continue to strongly criticize people who are needlessly using public assistance, and public policies which encourage irresponsibility and laziness. There are reasons why the numbers of people on p. a. have skyrocketed over the last 20-30 years. I'm willing to say so, even if YOU'RE not.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155197 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me?
Unfortunately, mental illness may pre-dispose some people to self-medication - but illicit drug use is nearly ALWAYS a choice.(The one exception being when a person drugs another without the other's knowledge or consent.) Most drug users are not mentally ill when they first use drugs, and although addiction is a mental illness, the choice to use or abstain is always with the potential user. People quit using hideously addictive drugs every day - but first they have to choose to.

It's that whole 'personal responsibility' thing.

Still not kidding.

Location hidden

#155198 Nov 20, 2012
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you're even more of a jerk than I thought. But I'll have a crack at it anyway.
I'VE been on public assistance, buster. And all of the long-time regulars here know it. My husband was unemployed for NINE MONTHS two or three years ago, during which time he and I needed public assistance in the form of food stamps, health care and several other ways.(And that doesn't even take into account the help my now 80+ year old father gave us, or that from people at our church). But WE didn't MAKE A LIFESTYLE of it. As soon as hubby was gainfully employed again (and is still with that company today) we weaned ourselves off public assistance.
I think it would have been easy to remain on p. a. longer if we'd wanted. I WAS tempted, and all that would have been needed was a little fudging and a few lies. So I can see how others would be tempted as well, but BEING TEMPTED DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY. Being on public assistance when you don't need to be is STEALING. It's stealing from the people who really need p.a., and it's stealing from the taxpayers who provide the money required.
Did you see that report, a few months ago, of a woman in Michigan who was discovered to still be accepting public assistance even though she'd won a couple million bucks in a lottery and owned TWO homes?(She died a few months later, I'm not sure why). You think I or you or anyone else SHOULDN'T criticize that?
I am no saint, that's for sure, but I DO have a fairly well-developed sense of right and wrong. I am NOT one of those wusses out there who says "we have no right to judge." Yes, we DO, and yes, we should--at least in those cases where the facts are known and/or are such that the conduct being judged is indefensible no matter what the facts behind it happen to be. I never did care for euphemisms, and I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade, as the British put it. I will therefore continue to strongly criticize people who are needlessly using public assistance, and public policies which encourage irresponsibility and laziness. There are reasons why the numbers of people on p. a. have skyrocketed over the last 20-30 years. I'm willing to say so, even if YOU'RE not.
Thanks for your candid response. Would you have been able to get by without public assistance? I agree, it sure ain't much of a lifestyle. I have never even collected unemployment much less public assistance. Somehow I have always been able to scrape by. I disagree with your assessment that public policies as being a root cause. We simply don't have the job base we once had. We import too much stuff and have exported good paying jobs all over the place. That is a formula for disaster.

Location hidden

#155199 Nov 20, 2012
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately, mental illness may pre-dispose some people to self-medication - but illicit drug use is nearly ALWAYS a choice.(The one exception being when a person drugs another without the other's knowledge or consent.) Most drug users are not mentally ill when they first use drugs, and although addiction is a mental illness, the choice to use or abstain is always with the potential user. People quit using hideously addictive drugs every day - but first they have to choose to.
It's that whole 'personal responsibility' thing.
Still not kidding.
What person in their right mind would want to do drugs? Most people I know who have been addicted to drugs did so because they had problems of one kind or another. Life is hard. Life is harder when you are stupid. Drugs make you stupid.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#155200 Nov 20, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a very poor record for predictions so far.
0 for 1? Yeah that's pretty "miserable" ain't it, genius.

Location hidden

#155201 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
What person in their right mind would want to do drugs? Most people I know who have been addicted to drugs did so because they had problems of one kind or another. Life is hard. Life is harder when you are stupid. Drugs make you stupid.
Life is hard at times - this is universally true. But drug use is not universal. Most people don't even find it tempting. For those that are tempted, there are two choices. They all make one.

Location hidden

#155202 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>Life is hard at times - this is universally true. But drug use is not universal. Most people don't even find it tempting. For those that are tempted, there are two choices. They all make one.
This reminds me of a story from long ago. I was a fresh young punk just out of high school. Even though I lived in San Francisco during the 60s, I never went to the Haight or smoked pot. I went to school in Cincinnati at the age of almost eighteen years. In Cincinnati one could dring 3.2% beer legally at the age of eighteen. One day I sat down in a bar next to another man. I was bragging that I didn't do drugs or smoke marijuana. The nice man pointed out that I was ingesting ethyl alcohol, one of the most addictive and mind altering substances known to man. He was right. Some people get addicted, others don't. I could take pot or leave it. The same with most other drugs. Some people aren't that way. It is a complex issue. The human mind plays all kinds of tricks on us.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#155203 Nov 20, 2012
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
0 for 1? Yeah that's pretty "miserable" ain't it, genius.
Well it's a poor start, if that's what it is.

Location hidden

#155204 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>Life is hard at times - this is universally true. But drug use is not universal. Most people don't even find it tempting. For those that are tempted, there are two choices. They all make one.
There are just as many reasons to do drugs as to drink. It is perfectly natural for humans to seek altered states. Sex is one of the many ways as well as meditation, and physical exercise. Most of us use drugs such as ibuprofen to relax muscle strain, aspirin for headache pain release, caffeine to help eliminate drowsiness. All are drugs or a means to release endorphin's. Adrenalin and anger also releases mind altering internal substances. I would call none temptation would you? How about a social gathering where people pass around a joint? Is this drug addiction? The definition of addiction is a compulsive behavior with life damaging consequences. Such addictions may be internet addiction, sex addiction, thrill seeking and many other things. Temptation is a rather simplistic idea wouldn't you agree?
Morons

Foster City, CA

#155205 Nov 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
There are just as many reasons to do drugs as to drink. It is perfectly natural for humans to seek altered states. Sex is one of the many ways as well as meditation, and physical exercise. Most of us use drugs such as ibuprofen to relax muscle strain, aspirin for headache pain release, caffeine to help eliminate drowsiness. All are drugs or a means to release endorphin's. Adrenalin and anger also releases mind altering internal substances. I would call none temptation would you? How about a social gathering where people pass around a joint? Is this drug addiction? The definition of addiction is a compulsive behavior with life damaging consequences. Such addictions may be internet addiction, sex addiction, thrill seeking and many other things. Temptation is a rather simplistic idea wouldn't you agree?
Is this what your life is about, running around posting on topic after topic. You are seriously in need of a life! No wonder you have to look up to Obama, you have nothing else.

Location hidden

#155206 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your candid response. Would you have been able to get by without public assistance? I agree, it sure ain't much of a lifestyle. I have never even collected unemployment much less public assistance. Somehow I have always been able to scrape by. I disagree with your assessment that public policies as being a root cause. We simply don't have the job base we once had. We import too much stuff and have exported good paying jobs all over the place. That is a formula for disaster.
Plus all the jobs and resources that are taken by folks that are allowed to live here illegally.

Location hidden

#155207 Nov 21, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You miss my point. No matter what type of 'drug' one ingests, or engages in, there is always the choice NOT to use it. The fact that most of us use one type or another, doesn't mean in any way that we don't CHOOSE to use, because the choice NOT to use is ours as well. Simplistic, yes. Absolving of responsibility for one's choices, no.

Chester, VA

#155208 Nov 21, 2012
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Last night at my last 7-11 I pulled in about 2:45 a.m. Some lady looked to be mid 40s sees me bring in the doughnuts and has a fit right in the parking lot. The guy tells her she can have one after he checks me in but man she needed them right now! My guess is cranked up on God knows how many drugs and out of her mind mad. There was a time when such a thing in America wouldn't have been understood could even happen and its the norm today. Usa 2012: take a bow libs job well done as you mock everything that once made this a nice place to live.
Crazy people have always been around.......except in the world you think existed of course.

Chester, VA

#155209 Nov 21, 2012
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
3891 divided by 135 = 28.82 msgs per day. INCREDIBLE!
Windbag doesn't even BEGIN to describe this elephant crap.
I have noted that apparently I have inspired you to post more as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min BenAdam 839,116
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 16 min Wordsworth 5,907
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Tango Bravo 590,357
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 29 min BenAdam 461
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 50 min Jac 100,002
Flight Monarch 1, runway 2 RIGHT CLEAR 4 TAKEO... 53 min Doctor REALITY 1
The Characteristics of Biker Men 1 hr wendysmith0515 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 4,470
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Just Wondering 612,194
More from around the web