Bush is a hero
UIDIOTRACESMAKEW OLDPEACE

United States

#150472 Oct 4, 2012
U.S. Bishops' Statement on Iraq

January 1998 (Signed by 53 Catholic bishops.)

Sanctions have taken the lives of well over one million persons, 60% of whom are children under five years of age. The 1991 US bombing campaign destroyed electric, water and sewage plants, as well as agricultural, food and medical production facilities. All of these structures continue to be inoperative, or function at sub-minimal levels, because the sanctions have made it impossible to buy spare parts for their repair. This bombing campaign, together with the total embargo in place since August 1990 was, and is, an attack against the civilian population of Iraq.

United States

#150473 Oct 4, 2012
United Nadon's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), December 1995

More than one million Iraqis have died—567,000 of them children—as a direct consequence of US economic sanctions... As many as 12 percent of the children surveyed in Baghdad are wasted, 28 percent stunted and 29 percent underweight.

United States

#150474 Oct 4, 2012
U.S. Ambassador Bill Richardson, August 1997
keyword(s)

Sanctions [on Iraq] may stay on in perpetuity.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#150475 Oct 4, 2012
Fearless and Happy wrote:
Hi Rider, Lisw, Roberta G, Bad Bob, D.S. Higgins. and Chris Clearwater. I see the same Ttooges are here but that is to be expected. I see even a couple more hacve been added. I would take bon VII but bit is evident he is to darn easy. I would say easiier than OKB. Didv one of OKB'S SIRES LOG ON AS I think I saw another okb2 logged on.

Been a long time and obviously am not going to peruse the past volumes to catch up. Should I wish to opine I will start from here. For the newbies I can spell quite well but my typing leaves a lot to be desires. So save yourselves the time of replying to my spelling.

Bad Bob, your brother will be in my prayers. My brother had Oral Cancer and lost his right jaw, gums and teeth. He also lost some Lymph Nodes and is relegated to being fed through a tube. Will never be able to eat solid food.

I have been fighting Chronic Kidney failure, COPD and Congestive Heart Failure. The Kidney numbers that are supposed to be high are low and the ones supposed to be low are high. It is going to be interesting to see how Medicare works out with Barry's health plan. I really believe he is going to lose big time. Even the Crats are chewing their nails, at least the ones with any sense and political knowledge. Of course. you know my political bent and knowledge. When Axelrod and Barry's advisors really hype Barry to the point of coronation they are worried.

Valerie Jarret even made the comment that they are ready to RULE on day one; assuming they win.
My goodness, Fearless, that is one boatload of health troubles :s No wonder you couldn't be here lately. You'll be in my prayers.

United States

#150476 Oct 4, 2012
Arundhati Roy

Another World Is Possible, book, p72
keyword(s)

In 1996, Madeleine Abright, then the US secretary of state, was asked on national television what she felt about the fact that 500,000 Iraqi children had died as a result of US economic sanctions. She replied that it was 'a very hard choice,' but that, all things considered,'we think the price is worth it.'

---

SHE IS EVIL B!TCH!

United States

#150477 Oct 4, 2012
Kuwait , 1991

The Greatest Story Never Told, Michael K Smith, p373

With the enemy in headlong retreat, U.S. pilots cut off escape and slaughter Iraqi soldiers, Asian workers, and Kuwaiti hostages fleeing along the highway. Bombarding the trapped traffic for hours they annihilate anything that moves, leaving the roads awash in blood.

One pilot exclaims: "It was like shooting fish in a barrel. "

United States

#150478 Oct 4, 2012
Norman Mailer, Why are we at war?, p56
RALPH NADER" The United States currently consumes 19.5 million barrels a day, or 26% of daily global oil consumption.... The U.S.[has to import] 9.8 million barrels a day, or more than half the oil we consume....

The surest way for the U.S. to sustain its overwhelming dependence upon oil is to control the sixty-seven percent of the world's proven oil reserves that lie below the sands of the Persian Gulf. Iraq alone has proven reserves of 112.5 billion barrels, or 11% of the world's remaining supply.... Only Saudi Arabia has more.

United States

#150479 Oct 4, 2012
Amy Goodman, Exception to the Rulers, p9

The Bush team has invoked a basic principle of propaganda: Control the images and you control the people... The lesson had been learned from Vietnam - a lesson in manipulation. In Iraq, there would be no daily television images of the human toll of war. The government and the media would portray a clean war, a war nearly devoid of victims.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#150480 Oct 4, 2012
Lyndi wrote:
The short list of excuses I've read/heard thus far.

1) The real Obama just didn’t show up tonight.
2) The moderator, Jim Lehrer, let Romney win.
3) The free-flowing format was bad and let Romney dominate.
4) Romney lied with a straight face for ninety minutes.
5) We won’t know for 2-3 days whether Mitt Romney actually won.
6) He's had alot on his mind.
7) Too busy traveling to prepare properly.
8) He wanted to avoid the "angry black man image."
9) Just wait until the next debate!
And my personal favorite came from none other than the Grand Poobah of left wingers, Al Gore.
10) It was the high altitude and Obama's lungs hadn't acclimated to the air.
========

And for those who think Romney isn't being specific enough let me remind you that Barack Obama never SPECIFIED 35+ straight months of 8+% unemployment, he never SPECIFIED the deficit nightmare, he never SPECIFIED 40+ million Americans on food stamps, he never SPECIFIED failed stimulus etc. etc. etc.

He ran on hope and change and now he's running on fumes and all the excuses do is make the left look desperate and out of ideas.
Enough already!
Yes, that "altitude" comment of Gore's was priceless, wasn't it? I could hardly believe he meant that seriously, I thought he HAD to be joking. Then when I realized he really did mean it, it occurred to me: what else could we have expected from the guy who claimed he invented the Internet?

United States

#150481 Oct 4, 2012
George H W Bush 1990, while the legislators debated whether the United States under his son George W Bush should attack Iraq
Superpatriotism, Michael Parenti, p78
"I don't care if I get one vote in Congress. We're going in.'

Yep Blackheart is right . Pres. Abuse of Executive Priviledges without consent from congress!
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#150483 Oct 5, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
Romney Line of the Night:“The place you put your money is a pretty good indication of where your heart is.”
Hmm....so is Willard's heart in Zurich, or the Caymans, or Bermuda, or Luxembourg, or.....?
So, what? There are alot of advantages to having offshore accounts and I might remind you that everytime an American buys an imported product that money is going "offshore." Every time an American travels outside the country, their money is leaving the US. Everytime the government borrows money from China we're sending boatloads of interest $$'s out of the country.

As long as an individuals dollars go overseas in whatever manner they choose is done legally, it's really none of your business, is it?

Since: Jul 12

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#150484 Oct 5, 2012
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Everything is perspective isn't it? You see Obama as professorial, and I just see incompetence. He really doesn't know how to do anything but talking points and clearly his campaign didn't let him in on the talking points. It's also perspective when you talk about Reagan/Bush being bad for the economy. You must have done poorly under them, while we did much better under them
The most telling thing Obama said last night was (paraphrasing) that Americans have great abilities if they are channeled properly. Now who do you think is going to channel us Americans? That would be government. No thanks I'll take my chances.
No, he knows how to do math and arithmetic as well. He got Romney to commit to not doing anything that increases the deficit. So what happens if that 20% tax cut increases the deficit? Which lie will Romney follow? The one that gives everyone the tax cut and a bigger deficit or the one that says he will undo the tax cut?

Lets be clear here, Reagan cut taxes and the deficit mushroomed. bush the son cut taxes and took us back to deficit terratory. Historically speaking, it is getting difficult for Romney to substantiate his tax cut, particularly in a time of record deficits.

When Reagan cut taxes he followed with an increase in SS taxes which increased the burden on you and your spouse......but not those at the top. If Romney cuts taxes will he follow with a "fix" that raises taxes on your children (totally eliminate mortgage tax deduction? Increase SS taxes to "fix" SS?) putting less in their pockets for your grandchildren?

And which Romney do people believe? The "debate" Romney or the "pre-debate" Romney? He may have won the debate and lost the election.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

We will see.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/...

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#150485 Oct 5, 2012
UIDIOTRACESMAKEWOLDPEACE wrote:
A common GI refrain in Vietnam went:
Masters of War, ed Carl Boggs, p209
Bomb the schools and churches. Bomb the rice fields too. Show the children in the courtyards what napalm can do.
Still another refrain:
Kill one, they call you a murderer. Kill thousands, and they call you a conqueror. Kill them all, and they won't call you anything.
Have you ever thought about one conversation at a time? Who would want to engage you when you throw so many unrelated things out there at one time?

I did not know about the pig deal in Haiti, but sometimes people doing the "right" thing do harm instead. Something you apparently appear to be unwilling to consider.

Why would Haiti and the Dominican Republic be so different as a nation and economically? Perhaps it is not the intervention at all.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#150486 Oct 5, 2012
Lost In Transition wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the excuses are pretty funny. I heard on MSNBC that obama couldn't properly respond to Mitt's claims because America had saddled him with a "black tax". I feel his pain. During my dating years, America saddled me with a freckle tax.
Even at the end Gore saw how stupid his excuse was (I saw it a replay). It is quite obvious that with President Obama's inability to speak without a teleprompter and his lack of debate skills that Romney will pretty much mop the floor with him the next two times they debate.

And it is already known that Biden can't debate or get his facts and words straight. Ryan should have no problem with him at all next week.

Yep, looks like the Republicans have this thing in the bag for sure.

Since: Nov 09

USA

#150487 Oct 5, 2012
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Higgins, when you're right, you're right.
Now sit down and shut up. Yer' makin a fool of yerself.
Yessir, BH!

:)
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#150488 Oct 5, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
With the economy like it is and the way they are blaming the world coming apart on Obama if Romney does not win the Republicans are sure going to look like failures. Can't paint Obama that way, you already have. If he loses it is to be expected, if he wins.........
And there it is for about the 11th time. "If the republicans lose, what does it say about them?" Your obsessive fascination and musing over that scenario is disturbing.

If Romney loses, maybe all it means is there are more stupid people in the country than smart ones. How about THAT?

Our best idea 4 years ago was to elect a virtual unknown community organizer with no background in business in the middle of difficult economic times and a couple of wars because he made people go "ooh" and "ahh", and now we have big numbers of people who's next best idea is to keep him there when we know he's made things worse.

The republicans are NOT going to look like failures if Romney loses. I submit that perhaps the numbers of voters who will line up to follow this president right off the cliff are simply higher, which would indisputably confirm my belief that ignorance does indeed breed faster than intelligence.

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#150489 Oct 5, 2012
Lyndi wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what? There are alot of advantages to having offshore accounts and I might remind you that everytime an American buys an imported product that money is going "offshore." Every time an American travels outside the country, their money is leaving the US. Everytime the government borrows money from China we're sending boatloads of interest $$'s out of the country.
As long as an individuals dollars go overseas in whatever manner they choose is done legally, it's really none of your business, is it?
There are some of us that believe in buying American as much as possible, even if it costs a little more. It helps Americans stay employed.

Most of us don't have the money to vacation abroad. Heck, you would be surprised at the number of people who seldom venture more than one state away if that far. Some were born and raised and lived their whole life around Sarasota.

And we are not talking "some" money, we are talking most or a significant portion of.

USA

#150490 Oct 5, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Whaddyawant? Ya want to talk about the litany of lies uttered by Romney that went unchallenged by the President? Gee Whiz, he profusely denied the amount of his own proposed tax cut! He must think the Amerian public schools are SO poor that people can't do some simple math. You're right, Obama dropped the ball, in my mind, but that's me. I would have went right after Romeny after each "mis-statement". But, the President has a different style. He tried the same ol' Mr. Professorial President stance that mired him in Republican mud thru the stimulus debate, the healthcare debate, and every other little thing. I mean, did you count the number of times he stressed the points on which they agree? C'mon Mr President, this is a debate not a group hug.
I dunno - everyone seems to be ether glowing or grumbling, as the case may be, about how well or how poor their candidate "looked". You'd think it was an American Idol competition. Sure, Romney scored big, and I mean big, in style points. And the fact is, style points are what moves a significant portion of the population, so yeah, it was a "win". But if you actually listened to what he >said<, and contrast that with what he's been "saying< for the last year, a thinking Romney supporter might do well to be a trifle more uneasy. Romney contradicted his own positions, and you can bet we'll be hearing about them in the next 30 days. In 2004, many dismissed Kerry because he was a flip-flopper. Will those same people have the integrity to apply the same standard here? I dunno, I guess we'll see.
More importantly, the President got Romney to commit himself to some positions he has heretofore avoided. THAT, for me, was most interesting. I don't know what their strategy is, but let me ask you this - could the President, knowing that there were two more debates to go, and a VP debate, have been playing a little rope-a-dope? Could he have known that he was being asked to debate a guy who thus far had enunciated damn few actual specifics to actually rebut? Last night Romney had to get specific (tho' we >still< don't know what deductions he's going to cut to make his 20% tax-cuts "revenue-neutral"). But he did have to put himself out there more than he has thus far. And now we, and they, can actually debate them. If that was an actual strategy (and I sure hope it was) we'll have a chance to find out at the Vice-Presidential debates.
In the final tally, it ain't about Romney or Obama. Neither of them represent themselves as individuals. They represent opposing directions and alternate methods for getting there. I am not at all entirely satisfied with President Obama's performance the last four years, and have said so, when given the chance. As long as the Republicans insist on returning to that broken track, I'll be working for the alternative, no matter who scores the most "style points" on TV.
Since you asked.....;)
Heh heh heh.... The excuse-making are as myriad as they are comical. So far I have heard that Romney has been lying, Obama had elevation sickness. I even heard that somehow another Romney showed up to the debate, while the other well known Romney stayed home. Ha!

When it comes to "style points", Romney doesn't have a chance against Obama. But unfortunately for Obama, this is not a cool-guy contest, where swagger counts for anything. This is for the office of POTUS, where a command of the issues and statesmanship carries the day.

I know one thing for dead certain - Obama represents a return to the quasi-Marxist Stalin-era fiscal philosophy that was given >ample< opportunity to prove itself, and far from doing so, it lead the USSR and by extension, the world, to a near economic meltdown.

No matter how much y'all spin, Obama cant avoid being on the stage again, with a man who's far and away unlike Obama.... very presidential, knowlegeable and classy.

Hows dat?

USA

#150491 Oct 5, 2012
FEARLESS AND HAPPY wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that is basically The LORDS .line
Great to see you FH..... And as always, you are absolutely correct!
Lyndi

Sarasota, FL

#150492 Oct 5, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some of us that believe in buying American as much as possible, even if it costs a little more. It helps Americans stay employed.
Most of us don't have the money to vacation abroad. Heck, you would be surprised at the number of people who seldom venture more than one state away if that far. Some were born and raised and lived their whole life around Sarasota.
And we are not talking "some" money, we are talking most or a significant portion of.
It is NONE of your business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 min Neville Thompson 43,935
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min here 30,153
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Neville Thompson 280,528
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 31 min truth 271
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 43 min Ann Bonney 53,717
Nashville job listings 1 hr NashRetailMgr 1
Supporting Trump like the fallen angels support... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 3
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr Naturally Wired 38,054
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Rosesz 638,094
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr pusherman 968,913
More from around the web